Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 9
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 2:13:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Are there any numbers as far as weight available?

I got a Kel-Tec PLR-16 earlier this year and built it into a lightweight folding-braced pistol, with a specific idea in mind. Now I suspect I'll remove the brace and return it to stock config, as this is exactly what I wanted and is built to a far better standard with far better features.
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 2:14:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Does nobody see the humor in putting an AK "stock" on an "AR"?  PSA did it!!

Not that there is anything wrong with that.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I believe that is it.

That's not a bad price.
Does nobody see the humor in putting an AK "stock" on an "AR"?  PSA did it!!

Not that there is anything wrong with that.
The lines manage to work very well, probably better than a normal M4-style profile
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 2:18:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

300 Blackout is less effective and 3x as expensive.

There are AR x39 mags that work well enough. I have no interest in 300. I want to shoot for cheap and in volume.

Fix the bolt and extractor issues and I’m interested.
View Quote
Wolf is offering steel cased 300 blk now if you're looking for cheap plinking ammo. It's what has got me interested in the caliber.
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 3:14:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

There are AR x39 mags that work well enough. I have no interest in 300. I want to shoot for cheap and in volume.

Fix the bolt and extractor issues and I'm interested.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Mags are the 2nd failure point. Just go .300 BLK.

Fix the bolt and extractor issues and I'm interested.
Any reason PSA wouldn't be able to mate a future JAKL upper in 7.62x39 to a KS47 lower?
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 3:21:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Poverty SCAR. Want.

Quoted:
BRN-180S URG is $830.  I predict these hitting the market at $800. I'll bite.

But hopefully it's both upper and brace.  But I'd bet no.  Brace will likely MSRP at $200.

Just take 5 cents off the amounts I've quoted to show $199.85, and $799.95
View Quote
PSA already sells that brace at $160.
https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-ak-p-ak-v-triangle-side-folding-brace.html
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 3:56:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I'm guessing that $799-899 is for the complete rifle. That's great news.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Apparently, its going to be around their Premium AR price range, $799-899.

Per this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1yE1ZnC6uw

Also mentioned, they are wanting to do carbine and DMR style uppers and in other calibers like 6.5 Grendel.

*Edit*

Apparently I can post youtube videos now? huh...
Yup, from what I got from the video, they are only selling complete firearms at the start, 10.5" 5.56 and 7.5" .300 AAC, for $799-899. Im going to assume that includes the braces.

I would imagine that the upper and lower adapter will likely be $599-699, they didnt mention when they were planning on releasing just uppers. Another video mentioned that they were also going looking into a 9mm version that is straight blowback (which would be disappointing.)
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 5:33:38 PM EDT
[#7]
It’s looks pretty cool. I maybe interested in the 300blk. Need more info though.
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 9:35:55 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote
If PSA can deliver a complete rifle for that price then I will be game.  I wouldn't mind having something "different" for my collection and hopefully PSA will avoid issues/design flaws that plagued similar rifles - cough, cough MPAR 556 - while trying to get a "poor man's SCAR" out into the market.
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 12:00:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Does this gun have an AK-like action, or is it closer to the Beretta AR70 ? Because the Beretta AR70 system (copied and improved by Kel-Tec for their SU-16/PLR-16 series) is awesome. I love it on my PLR, and the idea of it on a nicer gun really appeals to me. It has one of the most pleasant recoil impulses I've come across.

For those who aren't aware of the system, this is the bolt assy from my PLR-16:
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 12:48:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
They are making cool stuff.
That jakl looks sweet. I have had the BRN 180 in my brownwells shoping cart for a week. But the side charging handle no reciprocating on jkl is mo better
View Quote
The charging handle on the BRN blows hard. They would have had a hit if they did left side non reciprocating, but they dropped the ball for one little piece of nostalgia.

I will be buying the JAKL instead. Game, set, match.
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 4:51:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Make it in 6.5 grendel or offer a conversion kit.
View Quote
This upper in 6.5 Grendel combined with their triangular folding brace and a small red dot is damn close to my 'ideal' close in personal defense weapon. The resemblance to the Knights PDW is a nice little cherry on top.

If this becomes available I would like to do a test to see how well such a PDW can tear through car doors. Carried in a briefcase. If it turns out to be reliable this seems like it could be an ideal vehicle gun.
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 5:41:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Yup, from what I got from the video, they are only selling complete firearms at the start, 10.5" 5.56 and 7.5" .300 AAC, for $799-899. Im going to assume that includes the braces.

I would imagine that the upper and lower adapter will likely be $599-699, they didnt mention when they were planning on releasing just uppers. Another video mentioned that they were also going looking into a 9mm version that is straight blowback (which would be disappointing.)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Per this video:

Also mentioned, they are wanting to do carbine and DMR style uppers and in other calibers like 6.5 Grendel.

*Edit*

I personally think that if they can bring these things to markets as carbines for that

price point, Robinson Armament's XCR is screwed.
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 5:50:58 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Per this video:

*Edit*

Selling complete rifles seems like a really bad strategy.  It's a lot easier to ship uppers out the door than deal with NFA firearms.    I have enough stamped lowers I'd be in for a 10.5 just to try it out but most likely I'll pass if I have to deal with the NFA BS.
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 5:53:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I have enough stamped lowers I'd be in
View Quote
This. I just want the upper.
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 5:56:15 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote
I will buy one when available .
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 6:02:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Does it come with sunscreen or a welding mask?

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 6:03:21 PM EDT
[#17]
Selling the upper keeps costs down.

Is there not like a 11% FET on completed firearms paid by the maker?
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 6:06:37 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Selling complete rifles seems like a really bad strategy.  It's a lot easier to ship uppers out the door than deal with NFA firearms.    I have enough stamped lowers I'd be in for a 10.5 just to try it out but most likely I'll pass if I have to deal with the NFA BS.
View Quote
They're pistols, no NFA BS.

Uppers will come, they said so.
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 6:48:09 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Are there any numbers as far as weight available?
View Quote
I was quoted 5.8lbs w/ folding brace in the 7.5" 300blk configuration.

Price is expected to be $800 for the complete firearm with brace.

Between the JAKL and PS9, I'd buy stock in PSA
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 7:15:27 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have enough stamped lowers I'd be in
Same once it's proven reliable.  I have 2 complete arero lowers and this would be a great option for one.
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 7:51:51 PM EDT
[#21]
I don't see the attraction of putting one of these uppers on an AR lower.   The big thing here is no need for a buffer tube.  You can have a folder.

AR lowers use buffer tubes.  I guess you could screw in some plug with a Pic rail on it to attach a folder, but why go out of your way to go Rube Goldberg?
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 8:01:50 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I don't see the attraction of putting one of these uppers on an AR lower.   The big thing here is no need for a buffer tube.  You can have a folder.

AR lowers use buffer tubes.  I guess you could screw in some plug with a Pic rail on it to attach a folder, but why go out of your way to go Rube Goldberg?
View Quote
From the closeup I saw of the buffer tube and lower area it seemed like a pic rail adapter of some kind was being used for their factory gun.

The reason for doing that versus a proprietary lower would be that tons of people already own AR-15 lowers and it cuts down development costs. If they do it all custom you're basically back to a SCAR/ACR/XCR/etc. With maybe a slight edge in price because it's PSA versus those companies.
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 8:19:11 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Any reason PSA wouldn't be able to mate a future JAKL upper in 7.62x39 to a KS47 lower?
View Quote
Quoted for the awesomeness that could be. KS-47 lower with the buffer tube removed and a picatinney adapter on the back.
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 8:41:15 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote
I want to mate the JAKL, PSA triangle folder and Brownells 180 lower
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 9:41:43 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted for the awesomeness that could be. KS-47 lower with the buffer tube removed and a picatinney adapter on the back.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This right here
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 12:52:14 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I don't see the attraction of putting one of these uppers on an AR lower.  
View Quote
Because I already have a ton of AR lowers.

It's a huge, mature base of users, with a gigantic support market. New gun may or may not get decent accessories made for it. AR already has them.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 1:01:26 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote
There are market solutions out there for that

KNS precision makes a pic adapter. I’m willing to bet that PSA will be manufacturing a pic adapter in house as well. They already make one for AK’s

I just finished building this .22 AR last week. It’s a fun little gun to shoot.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 1:03:59 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote
Because a cheap lower plus the plug is like a hundred bucks. Plus you get AR triggers, safeties, etc., and familiar ergonomics. You could use one of the Brownells lowers with the integral rail at the back for something like $150 if you wanted to.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 1:07:23 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Smh
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
without buffer wouldn't it kick harder?
Smh
Lol....I did the same thing.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 1:10:41 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Because I already have a ton of AR lowers.

It's a huge, mature base of users, with a gigantic support market. New gun may or may not get decent accessories made for it. AR already has them.
View Quote
And to expand on this, the majority of the AR aftermarket would only be beneficial to the lower even if they had made their own proprietary lower that could utilize AR parts.

Rails/handguards? Monolithic upper, no need. Adjustable gas block? Already have one. Barrel? Sounds like it won't be easily user serviceable like an AR so probably no drop in barrels. Charging handle? Different from an AR so will require its own aftermarket. Bolt and recoil system? Probably going to be unique to this system.

So now that pretty much leaves all the stuff you can do with a lower like stocks/braces, grips, triggers, etc. It's far easier and more logical to just use a pic rail adapter for an AR than design and tool for a proprietary lower that either has all of it's own stuff or that would work with all of the AR stuff.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 1:11:00 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
So they've said Q3 for an estimated release date and aren't discussing pricing yet. Have they released any details on how much it weighs? It looks very similar in size and dimensions to the KAC PDW which weighs 4.5 pounds, but that gun has a dimpled barrel.

https://i.imgur.com/VIgKhUc.jpg

vs

http://www.imfdb.org/images/7/74/KAC_PDW_8in.jpg
View Quote
I want to know if I can pull the barrel and send it somewhere to have it dimpled.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 1:14:37 PM EDT
[#32]
Odds of me purchasing are hovering around 99.9%
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 1:15:20 PM EDT
[#33]
In.
If they can deliver a reliable product I'd be seriously interested. Particularly if they offer an SBR length version and even more so if it was in 300blk. I'd be interested in a 16" 5.56 model, but not as much as a 12" 5.56 or 10.5" or around there 300blk. This of course assumes the price is reasonable. It's PSA so I assume it won't be crazy high, but you never know.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 1:23:08 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
In.
If they can deliver a reliable product I'd be seriously interested. Particularly if they offer an SBR length version and even more so if it was in 300blk. I'd be interested in a 16" 5.56 model, but not as much as a 12" 5.56 or 10.5" or around there 300blk. This of course assumes the price is reasonable. It's PSA so I assume it won't be crazy high, but you never know.
View Quote
7.5" .300blk is coming first, then a 10.5" 5.56. Carbine length, additional calibers, and complete uppers are likely to come in due time. $7-800 for the complete "pistol."

I think you'll be interested
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 1:25:03 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
7.5" .300blk is coming first, then a 10.5" 5.56. Carbine length, additional calibers, and complete uppers are likely to come in due time. $7-800 for the complete "pistol."

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
In.

I want a 7.5" 5.56.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 1:29:01 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I want to know if I can pull the barrel and send it somewhere to have it dimpled.
View Quote
Once they become available I would imagine Adco will be the outfit to talk to.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 1:30:38 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote
It looks like the upper overlaps the lower, but it's hard to tell with all the shitty amateur camera work being done by the shotshow journalists.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 1:31:48 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I want a 7.5" 5.56.
View Quote
You'll put your eye out kid.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 1:32:40 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
It looks like the upper overlaps the lower, but it's hard to tell with all the shitty amateur camera work being done by the shotshow journalists.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think that is the stock/brace adapter overlapping the lower as part of how it attaches to it.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 1:51:42 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote
why not use what they already produce (lowers).

Its an adapter that goes in the RE threading and you 1913 the brace/stock of your choice.e

If you have stamped lowers then use whatever you want on there.

It would be foolish for them not to develop it to be used on an AR lower, I'll buy an upper for one of the stamped lowers.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 2:12:03 PM EDT
[#41]
I'm liking this more by the minute. I'll have to check it out soon.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 2:24:17 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Mags are the 2nd failure point. Just go .300 BLK.
View Quote
For sure, I really hate how the 7.62x39 with it's tapered case never fails to extract properly, what fun is that? Straight-walled jammers you get to fuck with every 5 minutes are where it's at.

lol @ paying twice the price for identical ballistics and less reliability, .300 acolytes sure must like banging their rifles all day.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 2:28:45 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

For sure, I really hate how the 7.62x39 with it's tapered case never fails to extract properly, what fun is that? Straight-walled jammers you get to fuck with every 5 minutes are where it's at.

lol @ paying twice the price for identical ballistics and less reliability, .300 acolytes sure must like banging their rifles all day.
View Quote
Can you post a pic of your x39 @Dragynn ?
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 2:33:19 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Can you post a pic of your x39 @Dragynn ?
View Quote
1. Why?

2. Which one? I have six AK's currently and a couple of x39 uppers for the AR's.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 2:37:14 PM EDT
[#45]
I like it allot. I would love to see that charging handle be ambidextrous!
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 4:54:35 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I think that is the stock/brace adapter overlapping the lower as part of how it attaches to it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 1/27/2020 5:00:41 PM EDT
[#47]
That is a big WTF from me. What the fuck are all those add on pieces and why are they needed??
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 5:03:53 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
That is a big WTF from me. What the fuck are all those add on pieces and why are they needed??
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Aside from thew "wings", it's pretty similar in concept to the MCX adapter plate:

Link Posted: 1/27/2020 5:04:21 PM EDT
[#49]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://i.imgur.com/ETpyRcM.png

Oooookay.  I was really digging this gun, but now I’m a bit less excited.  Gonna need something a little more finished looking than that I’m afraid.  Hopefully there’s a more finished version being implemented.
Link Posted: 1/27/2020 5:04:38 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
http://s3.amazonaws.com/production.photos.funnyordie.com/p/media/5c597eb60b/1qPm2oJFSuWOI4rtFx06_Confused%20Ice%20Cube.gif

Oooookay.  I was really digging this gun, but now I’m a bit less excited.  Gonna need something a little more finished looking than that I’m afraid.  Hopefully there’s a more finished version being implemented.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://i.imgur.com/ETpyRcM.png
http://s3.amazonaws.com/production.photos.funnyordie.com/p/media/5c597eb60b/1qPm2oJFSuWOI4rtFx06_Confused%20Ice%20Cube.gif

Page / 9
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top