Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 12/22/2013 7:16:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I can't say I've never thought about it.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
suicide would have definately been on the menu.

I can't say I've never thought about it.

Don't do that and try to stop thinking that way, go talk to someone, your dog even.

It sounds like nerve pain and I am with you on how horrible it is, but keep searching for a doctor to find the problem and a fix of some sort.

It took 10 doctors and 10 months to find my problem, 1st Neurosurgeon was educated and worked at the Mayo Clinic for 20 years, second one had just left the UW, saw some top people at the UW also, it is very discouraging to hear, I have no idea about the problem let alone how to fix it.

Do you know what nerve?
Is the nerve "friable"
Link Posted: 12/22/2013 7:17:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Some of the things I've tried:

basic stuff: ice, heat, stretching, yoga

Intensive Outpatient Therapy  (a.k.a. how to smile while eating the shit sandwich you've been given)

Meds, meds, meds, meds, meds

Chiropractic

Physical therapy (multiple types, multiple times)

Tai Chi

Occipital Nerve Blocks

Trigger Point Injections (used to work, no longer do for some reason)

The last procedure tried was Radio Frequency Ablation.  The test procedure, where they inject numbing medication into the areas they think are the cause and see if the pain goes away, was 100% effective (first thing to ever cause this response).  Then, the doc did the actual procedure and it didn't work at all.  The idea was to burn the nerves to kill them so they couldn't carry pain signals any more.  Instead, it just pissed off those pain nerves.  My doc said this could be for 2 reasons:  the numbing medication spreads out over a wider area than the actual ablation (and "you don't want to go abating tissue all over the place"), and as you go higher up the spinal column, those nerves aren't always exactly where they are supposed to be.
Shit, I just puked.  At least I made it to the toilet.  So much for the anti-emetic they gave me at the hospital tonight.
Anyway, the next procedure they want to try is a steroid epidural.  My pain doc doesn't think it will work.  I'm willing to try it.  My doc is also willing to retry the Radio Frequency Ablation when my insurance will pay for it again.
The Mayo Clinic has been in my mind for quite a while.  I did an internship up there as a student.  I called them to see if they could work on me, but they only offered me the same Intensive Outpatient Therapy crap that I've already been through - no real options for healing the pain.

Link Posted: 12/22/2013 7:17:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I've thought about trying one.  Wouldn't be the dumbest think I've spent money on.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If you have back pain consider trying one of those inversion tables like the teeter.  I lived with back pain off and on for years as an attack would come on.  When it does now it's some Motrin IB to take the swelling down and the table to pull me straight again.

I've thought about trying one.  Wouldn't be the dumbest think I've spent money on.

If your issue is in your lower back order one tonight, they help.

Not so much for T or C-spine issues.
Link Posted: 12/22/2013 7:20:12 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

If you have back pain consider trying one of those inversion tables like the teeter.  I lived with back pain off and on for years as an attack would come on.  When it does now it's some Motrin IB to take the swelling down and the table to pull me straight again.

Mine is nerves in the cervical spine... especially C4-7

Link Posted: 12/22/2013 7:20:42 PM EDT
[#5]
BTW guys, it's nice to hear from other people that are also going through nerve pain.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/22/2013 7:22:54 PM EDT
[#6]
For cervical problems you might get relief from an over-the-door traction device, an inversion table won't do anything there isn't enough weight above the problem.
Link Posted: 12/22/2013 7:23:35 PM EDT
[#7]
OP, you near central KS?
Link Posted: 12/22/2013 7:27:39 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

OP, you near central KS?
View Quote

Kansas City area

Link Posted: 12/22/2013 7:30:15 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

For cervical problems you might get relief from an over-the-door traction device, an inversion table won't do anything there isn't enough weight above the problem.

View Quote
Hmmm

I've tried the pneumatic (maybe hydraulic?) ones that you lay on like a pillow and pump.  Problem with those is they have nubs that grab the base of your skull, and I have tremendous pain there.  It's a torture device.

Link Posted: 12/22/2013 7:35:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Kansas City area

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
OP, you near central KS?

Kansas City area

My back pain is not constant but when it flares up I drop to the floor and wait to die.   I have a massage therapist that gets me moving again, if you were closer I'd hook you up.  It would not cure you but may alleviate some pain.  Sorry I could not help more.
Link Posted: 12/22/2013 7:37:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Hope you fell better.
Link Posted: 12/22/2013 7:38:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Try smoking some pot
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/22/2013 7:40:51 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

My back pain is not constant but when it flares up I drop to the floor and wait to die.   I have a massage therapist that gets me moving again, if you were closer I'd hook you up.  It would not cure you but may alleviate some pain.  Sorry I could not help more.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

OP, you near central KS?

Kansas City area

No problem.  I appreciate the effort!

Link Posted: 12/22/2013 7:41:18 PM EDT
[#14]
My wife has had severe migraines for the last 17 years, almost a daily occurrence, and we recently found the Migraine Treatment Centers of America.

They have a network of doctors that perform their procedure on patients fitting a specific criteria and have an excellent success rate.  The procedure

consists of implanting neural stimulators at key nerves to help block/mask pain.  Her trial procedure was a few weeks ago and was an

incredible success.  We meet with the neurosurgeon on Thursday to discuss permanent implantation.

I say all of that to say that the neural stimulators have been around for a very long time and from what I understand have had extremely high success rates in

patients with neck and back pain.  It may be worth looking into.  Pain sucks, I wish you all the best.  We'll keep you in our prayers.
Link Posted: 12/22/2013 7:42:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Breathe slowly and deliberately as deeply as you can. If you do not have another dog, imagine that Jasper is there with you. Close your eyes and imagine that your mind is an empty sphere. Now imagine that your pain is a fire inside your mind. Next, imagine that the sphere is leaving your head with the fire inside. The sphere goes into the next room. Then, imagine that your body joins your mind in the next room while you remain where you are. Now your pain is in the other room.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Pain is 9/10 and climbing.  I'm sweating and nauseous.  I've taken pain medications, stretched, used my roller, iced my back...  it's not helping.  I think it's time to go to the ER... again.  Pain is HELL.  All I want is for my suffering to end.

Be glad you are not in my shoes... I promise you there are worlds of pain most of you have never experienced.

Breathe slowly and deliberately as deeply as you can. If you do not have another dog, imagine that Jasper is there with you. Close your eyes and imagine that your mind is an empty sphere. Now imagine that your pain is a fire inside your mind. Next, imagine that the sphere is leaving your head with the fire inside. The sphere goes into the next room. Then, imagine that your body joins your mind in the next room while you remain where you are. Now your pain is in the other room.

I just tried this and ended up naked and bleeding from my testicles.

I think I did something wrong.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 12/22/2013 7:44:33 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

My wife has had severe migraines for the last 17 years, almost a daily occurrence, and we recently found the Migraine Treatment Centers of America.

They have a network of doctors that perform their procedure on patients fitting a specific criteria and have an excellent success rate.  The procedure

consists of implanting neural stimulators at key nerves to help block/mask pain.  Her trial procedure was a few weeks ago and was an

incredible success.  We meet with the neurosurgeon on Thursday to discuss permanent implantation.

I say all of that to say that the neural stimulators have been around for a very long time and from what I understand have had extremely high success rates in

patients with neck and back pain.  It may be worth looking into.  Pain sucks, I wish you all the best.  We'll keep you in our prayers.
View Quote

Good to know.  I'll ask the doc at my next appt.  

I already asked about a pain pump to replicate the test procedure they did on me that worked prior to the RFA.  The doc said they aren't FDA approved for my indication, so insurance won't pay.  Cost is $60,000 - 80,000.  He also seemed to think it wouldn't work.

Link Posted: 12/22/2013 7:44:59 PM EDT
[#17]
I have lower back pain 24/7 365. I have some other chronic pain but I'd rather not discuss it.

Mine is not as bad as yours. I've had three epidurals and two sets of facet joint injections. ( 8 injections each time )

I work full time, full duty and overtime. For awhile I just wasn't up to it but my pain is better and I need the money.

I use tylenol and tramadol to take the edge off. I also use lidoderm patches and have a thermophore heating pad that works well.

You sound like a candidate for surgery, have you met with a surgeon ?
Link Posted: 12/22/2013 7:45:32 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Some of the things I've tried:

basic stuff: ice, heat, stretching, yoga

Intensive Outpatient Therapy  (a.k.a. how to smile while eating the shit sandwich you've been given)

Meds, meds, meds, meds, meds

Chiropractic

Physical therapy (multiple types, multiple times)

Tai Chi

Occipital Nerve Blocks

Trigger Point Injections (used to work, no longer do for some reason)

The last procedure tried was Radio Frequency Ablation.  The test procedure, where they inject numbing medication into the areas they think are the cause and see if the pain goes away, was 100% effective (first thing to ever cause this response).  Then, the doc did the actual procedure and it didn't work at all.  The idea was to burn the nerves to kill them so they couldn't carry pain signals any more.  Instead, it just pissed off those pain nerves.  My doc said this could be for 2 reasons:  the numbing medication spreads out over a wider area than the actual ablation (and "you don't want to go abating tissue all over the place"), and as you go higher up the spinal column, those nerves aren't always exactly where they are supposed to be.

The Mayo Clinic has been in my mind for quite a while.  I did an internship up there as a student.  I called them to see if they could work on me, but they only offered me the same Intensive Outpatient Therapy crap that I've already been through - no real options for healing the pain.  
View Quote

My wife did just about everything you listed.  The trial procedure I mentioned was a miracle for her.  Dr. Kraus in Dallas was the doc that performed the trial.  

She was headache free for the entire week which has not happened in at least a decade.
Link Posted: 12/22/2013 7:48:56 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 12/22/2013 7:49:31 PM EDT
[#20]
I believe the neural stimulators are approved for cervical pain.  In fact I think I remember someone telling us that in order for the insurance to pay

on one of the Migraine patients, the surgeon had to implant at least one lead in the cervical spine.  That made the insurance carrier happy and

allowed  the surgeon to implant the other leads where he needed.
Link Posted: 12/22/2013 7:55:44 PM EDT
[#21]
Not that it means much in helping your pain, but you've got my sympathy. I'm on day 16 of living on OxyContin, and that's not cutting my pain most of the time.  At least I have an end in sight. I should be ready to start walking in 4 weeks.
Link Posted: 12/22/2013 8:04:10 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Stuck buttplug or kidney stone?
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/23/2013 4:09:31 PM EDT
[#23]
I made it through my workday without vomiting again, and my pain is pretty close to baseline again.

The biggest factor that increases my pain is stress... and I'm sure stress was a factor.  

My grandfather recently passed away, and family issues regarding the estate are causing much stress.

Anyway, I'm glad I kept my lunch down and made it through the day.

Thanks for the support.
Link Posted: 12/23/2013 4:15:07 PM EDT
[#24]
I don't know if your state offers a medical marijuana card but it's something to consider.
Link Posted: 12/23/2013 4:22:01 PM EDT
[#25]
I've got bad knees.....genetics are a bitch. Though nothing to the extreme you describe, I can relate to constant misery caused by chronic pain. I've done everything I can to make life livable, shy of narcotic pain killers and surgery.  There is no hell worse than being unable to move without hurting.
Link Posted: 12/23/2013 4:53:08 PM EDT
[#26]
I had surgery last year for a bulged disc that was causing a pinched nerve, and rendering my left leg more useless than normal.

Now, the good news is I have a HOLE in my spine that spinal fluid is leaking from. A 34cm long sac of fluid pinching another nerve.

Medication is useless. I have .22 ammo to trade for a 30-55 gal drum of Angel Dust. I can pick up in Texas.  
Link Posted: 12/23/2013 4:56:22 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
That's trippy dude.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Pain is 9/10 and climbing.  I'm sweating and nauseous.  I've taken pain medications, stretched, used my roller, iced my back...  it's not helping.  I think it's time to go to the ER... again.  Pain is HELL.  All I want is for my suffering to end.

Be glad you are not in my shoes... I promise you there are worlds of pain most of you have never experienced.

That's trippy dude.  

It is a deliberate mental transfer into a dissociative state where one identity endures the pain while in suspended animation and the conscious identity is aware of the pain, but percieves it as affecting someone else. Some people find elavil and benadryl helpful in becoming relaxed enough to conduct the transfer.
Link Posted: 12/23/2013 5:00:19 PM EDT
[#28]
Sorry to hear OP.  Try an inversion table.  Also, what is your body weight?
Link Posted: 12/23/2013 5:29:44 PM EDT
[#29]
Sorry that you are suffering OP

If it helps you aren't alone. I've broken my back twice: the first time was a bad car wreck and the second time was skiiing Tuckerman's Ravine here in NH. After three back surgeries and years of therapy I can tell you when bad weather is coming, and simple tasks like tying my shoes is tough due to limited flexibility. I'm currently dealing with a torn Achilles tendon, and that's a whole different kind of hell. I'm scheduled for my second surgery on that one.

If I can offer a word of warning, it's beware of the painkillers. At one time it took 80mg of Oxcycontin 3x per day to keep me upright, with Oxycodone 15mg (about twelve per day) for breakthrough pain. Coming off of that shit was the single worst thing I've ever been through. It was actually worse than the pain-and my pain was bad enough that I'd get delirious, black out, and then wake up screaming.

Be careful.
Link Posted: 12/23/2013 5:31:12 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

View Quote
this helps my dad and I a lot

Link Posted: 12/23/2013 5:32:30 PM EDT
[#31]
I dunno much about C spine pain. I'm having an L4-L5 fusion and decompression on 12/26. So I do know back pain. Good luck bro.
Link Posted: 12/23/2013 5:57:51 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

I was in your shoes at one time but found a great pain management Dr and PT, and have been able to live a mostly normal life. There is hope, go to the ER and don't let them skimp you on the pain meds and find you another PM doc ASAP! Stay strong you can get through this.

ETA I've been fused C4-6 and DDD severe nerve pain down both arms. My wife is my PT and uses traction and pressure points to treat me.
Link Posted: 12/23/2013 5:59:31 PM EDT
[#33]
I'm quite familiar with that type of pain unfortunately. I'm having my third back surgery Jan 7th and 9th to correct issue from the first surgery. Right now I'm fused L3-S1 and now I'll be fused L2-S1 with two new scars and some new hardware.
Link Posted: 12/23/2013 6:08:13 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

It is a deliberate mental transfer into a dissociative state where one identity endures the pain while in suspended animation and the conscious identity is aware of the pain, but percieves it as affecting someone else. Some people find elavil and benadryl helpful in becoming relaxed enough to conduct the transfer.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's trippy dude.  

Do you know Timothy Leary?
Link Posted: 12/23/2013 6:10:24 PM EDT
[#35]
I don't know if you'll find anyone that practices Traditional Chinese Medicine in KS, but
when I was in brake down and cry back pain, I went and they cured me in four sessions.
They told me it would only take four, and it was true. I've told over twenty people that I've come accros
that were in pain about these guys, and only four went. All four were quickly cured. One guy that
had a bad neck qurck problem was so happy he practically had my pants down when he was thanking
me for teling him about them. It's your choice, do what you feel is right.

Hope you fell better.
Link Posted: 12/23/2013 6:10:44 PM EDT
[#36]
Oddly enough the 2nd time I broke my back (I know i know, ridiculous) yoga really helped out actually. I went twice a week and it really helped with core strength and assuaging the pain, I still don't have major pain and have not really kept up for the last 7-8 years.
Link Posted: 12/23/2013 6:27:26 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
How old are you ?

You need to harden up. The PAIN is telling you that you are not dead yet, so the pain is hope.  You should think about those who have it worse off than you because many im sure do. Meanwhile be patient. Itll get better.
Link Posted: 12/23/2013 6:31:56 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Kidney stone.
View Quote

Nope.  Pinched nerve in the lower back... not even narcotics will take care of that kind of pain.  Ask me how I know.
Link Posted: 12/23/2013 6:41:16 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

\the next procedure they want to try is a steroid epidural.  My pain doc doesn't think it will work.  I'm willing to try it.    
View Quote

This.  It's the ONLY thing that worked for me.  It put some PRESSURE (AS in OMF"ING GOD THAT HURTS! Pressure) in my lower back, but after it stopped feeling like someone kicked me in the back, it lasted for about a year.  It was more than worth it.
Link Posted: 12/23/2013 7:03:34 PM EDT
[#40]
OP - Keep working at it, keep asking questions and keep looking for other doctors/procedures. As has been covered - some folks feel pain differently than others. I was lucky and only was out of work for 3 months. I had the cortisone injections, physical therapy, electro stimulus, etc.... Finally - I was medicated to the point of my day being the roll out of bed, crawl to the toilet on hands-knees and then crawl back to bed. Cool story - I know.

I am not a person to run to the doctor and get cut kind of person. But at that point - he could have cut me with a butter knife and I would have loved it. Cleveland Clinic in south florida hooked me up. I know each injury/cause is different....I have been up and running for 10 years now. I gave up skydiving. golf and wild sex with 5 girls at the same time (made that last part up), but otherwise still live my life the same way as before.
Link Posted: 12/23/2013 7:07:10 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yes, I have been in your shoes and have felt that level of pain.
Link Posted: 12/23/2013 7:24:30 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I can't offer any advice that you probably don't know already but I will say chronic pain management eventually becomes a mind over matter situation.

I have diabetic neuropathy and most nights I deal with 7/10 or 8/10 pain almost constantly.  I take 240 5/500's a month.  Barely keeps it in check.

God bless you brother
View Quote

I'm there with ya on the diabetic neuropathy.  I take 600mg of Lyrica daily plus 120 10/325s a month.  That neuropathy pain is a different type of pain.  Have also had rotator cuff surgery on both shoulders, trigger finger surgery on index and thumb on both hands, herniated disc L5/S1, five surgeries on my left eye and one on the right and have passed three kidney stones and had three removed, the last two being 6 & 8 mm.
Link Posted: 12/23/2013 7:35:07 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Used to use one for my bad back...they work.  Then I started having eye problems and couldn't use it anymore.
Link Posted: 12/23/2013 8:00:16 PM EDT
[#44]
Hydrocodone doesn't work for me.  Percocet and methocarbamol in combination does the trick for about 5.5 hours. I found percodan worked even better but the aspirin made me bleed after a while.
Link Posted: 12/23/2013 8:06:14 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 12/23/2013 8:29:40 PM EDT
[#46]
If you need ACDF I can highly recommend Florida Hospital in Orlando.  It's run by the 7th Day Adventists.
Great facilities and everyone was nice and good at their jobs. Private rooms,  good food for a hospital and flat screen tv. The operation itself wasn't as bad as having a wisdom tooth pulled. My operation went great but the objective was just to keep things from getting woese, the damage was already done. SO I'm still in pain, my leg has atrophied. They say it may get better in a year or so.
While I was in the hospital I felt the best I have felt in 25 years. I thought WOW! I'm cured! Those iv drugs were really good. When I switched to Percocet some pain came back, with hydro codone more came back on tamadol , well it's better than nothing but I can't take the good stuff and go back to work.

Good luck
Link Posted: 12/23/2013 9:42:50 PM EDT
[#47]
To those of you reading this thread that don't suffer from this sort of pain: pray to your god daily for that and never take it for granted.  All of life becomes secondary to the hurt and the seeking of relief, all of it, even living.  You'll never understand what it does to you and you should be glad for that.

PS: drugs don't really help, trust me...  If you're so inclined you might try smoking some pot but my experience is once the pain level can be classified as anything over a headache you're passed the point where smoking is gonna make any real appreciable difference.  Pot-stoned may help distract you but it's not gonna actually help with real pain.  With allot of "street drugs" it's like walking into a bathroom sone took a wicked shit it then sprayed air fresher; that fake flowery smell only barely masks what lies beneath (if at all, often they weirdly co-exist which is worse because neither is really lessened).  Some opiates may take the edge of well but that's kinda common sense however it's much easier to go to the ER for morphine then chase the dragon these days.
Link Posted: 12/23/2013 9:46:32 PM EDT
[#48]
So painfull you can still type. Lucky you.
Link Posted: 12/23/2013 10:01:41 PM EDT
[#49]
Your pain may never go away, but keep an open mind to the possibility that within your life you might find a way to deal with it in a manner that you can find content with. I can sympathize with those who have experienced heart stopping, gut wrenching agony. Fortunately, one of my afflictions was only temporary (a brain eating bacteria that left a little bit of my memory intact). I was hospitalized for 6 months and couldn't walk for about a year. Every day started with vomiting and ended by passing out. My dad suffered far worse.. actually quite similar to the physical trauma the OP depicted. His back was broken in nine places, his neck in three. His face was shattered and he had his right hip, shoulder, knee and elbow replaced with some erector set hardware. Both his femurs were destroyed and for two years, he languished in full traction. Miraculously, he was not paralyzed. Once the opportunity presented itself, (insurance benefits ran out) he struggled to use his fragile frame to explore outside  the room he'd been in and long story short, he discovered meditation. That exploration was the start of a long adventure. Your mission belongs to you. You can listen to others, but at the end of the day, it's your life and it's worth doing whatever it takes to repossess that.

Good luck.
Keep your chin up.
Hang in there.

eta: for a short while, my pops was a participant in some sort of experiential neuropeptide project and the results seemed more promising than other meds (opiates), but he had a heart condition and was eliminated from the test group. Who knows? Never say die though.
Link Posted: 12/23/2013 10:20:45 PM EDT
[#50]
More experience with this than I ever care to have. Just going off the things you have said, I'm going to guess it's been less than 5 years since the accident?

I'll be checking back on this thread, they are always therapeutic.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top