Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/23/2013 10:26:23 PM EDT
[#1]
aklferris I live with simular pain everyday. From injuries in the Navy, rock climbing, ulcerative colitis, stupid street fights and bad motorcycle accident May of 2012....I to live with continuous pain from 7-10/10 depending on the day and activities. I do wish it would go away and I am tired of taking medication. I do have good days but those are far and few between. I am a few months from 36 and feel like most days I am 86.

I guess I am writing to let you know your not alone and I have empathy for you. I hope one day soon we both can wake up to no pain.
Link Posted: 12/23/2013 10:27:32 PM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

So painfull you can still type. Lucky you.
View Quote
When it hurts so bad even the fentanyl can't touch it, sometimes all you can do is talk to someone, anyone to distract yourself for any precious second you can.

I used to be judgmental towards my friends who "couldn't hack" the pain and injuries they had. Then I got a dose and have become a much more understanding and compassionate individual.

Don't be an ass, karma is vengeful.

Link Posted: 12/23/2013 10:37:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
View Quote

Your attempt at facetiousness is contemptuous.
Somewhere down the road, perhaps you can find redemption by having to expel whatever meager sustenance you can beg for into a colostomy bag.. If not, maybe nature would be kind enough to let the sort of person who would say such a thing simply freeze on the curb during the quiet of a cold and lonely winter night.
Link Posted: 12/24/2013 12:33:23 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

People that haven't experienced this kind of pain should shut their fucking faces with smartass platitudes and comments about "harden up" and "walk it off"

View Quote

Thank you.

I am not "weak".  Chronic pain is an entirely different animal than acute pain.  When I had appendicitis, I waited 24 hours before deciding to see a doc.  I was in college at that point and even took an exam with a hot appendix.  I finally decided to go to student health, and they flipped out b/c I waited so long.  They threw me in their vehicle and took me to the ER.  The trauma surgeon said my case was one of the worst cases he had ever seen, and I was close to dying.  

Most health care professionals, like myself, aren't taught much about chronic pain.  So, I'm not surprised that people outside of healthcare don't understand it.  I had no idea this type of pain existed, or that it could persist so long.  

I often get asked to rate my pain on a scale of 1 to 10.  That question makes me think - are they wanting me to use the "old" scale where I thought I knew what maximum pain was, or the new scale based on the new realm of pain I have discovered.  Imagine exploring an ancient Egyptian pyramid, and you think you have it all mapped out.  You think you know the bottom levels all the way to the top.  Then, one day you find an entire series of rooms above what you thought for years was the top room.  That's the best visual I can come up with for the new realm of pain I discovered through this accident.

Link Posted: 12/24/2013 12:35:18 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

More experience with this than I ever care to have. Just going off the things you have said, I'm going to guess it's been less than 5 years since the accident?

I'll be checking back on this thread, they are always therapeutic.
View Quote

I believe the date of the accident was 8/28/2004.  So, a little over 9 years.

Link Posted: 12/24/2013 12:35:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Tony Romo, is that you?

Link Posted: 12/24/2013 5:53:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
More experience with this than I ever care to have. Just going off the things you have said, I'm going to guess it's been less than 5 years since the accident?

I'll be checking back on this thread, they are always therapeutic.

In that time have you noticed any change in the pain or more so how you deal with it? I myself am going on 14 years and just over the last year or so I can tell I'm handling it better. I made some career changes that helped with my daily physical routine, that alone has probably made the biggest difference and I also think the pain helped to push me into the roll I have now which is basically almost my dream job. First 4 years was surgery after surgery so that was just full of fuck. the next 5 years was even more fuck because that's when I realized that this is the rest of my life After all the frustration of dealing with doctors and the BS of how they treat everybody like a crackhead because of crackheads I was just pissed and in a constant numb pain from hell (no meds). I've been pushing the hell out of myself to attempt to live life as normal as possible. I'm a physical type of dude that works hard and loves the outdoors as well. In my situation, I think pushing myself has actually helped my body repair itself instead of just laying around and letting a painful life pass me by. I was 27 when this started and now 41 so I still have lots of things I want to do and will do but that constant friend is always there.

I now take a very mild med to help cut the edge off on bad days but I have to watch my intake or I'll run dry (thanks again to crackheads). As you probably know, meds will fuck your world up in many ways, including your health. I probably tried 15 different types after I got off the oxy the first few years (which I hardly remember anything from). That shit just makes you depressed as hell too. If I could have climbed to the top of something tall I probably would have ended it all but that was my mind on the meds and not me what so ever. I enjoy life and knew that shit was fucking me up bad and just STOPPED. Didn't take any meds for about 5 years and it was a tough period of my life. Tears running down my face daily, body just exhausted from the constant weight of being in pain and one angry mofo.

My advice, if there's nothing else that can be repaired or needs to be repaired then start pushing back against the pain. Enjoy life to the fullest because this is the only one you have. I was told I should have died, I was then told by the hospital staff that they never seen someone keep their legs after so much damage, now I just hiked the grand canyon with a 55 LB pack and crazy as it sounds, I had very little pain after. Maybe it's just being high on life but it makes me emotional just knowing that I can do it still.

Sorry for anyone that lives in true chronic daily pain, most have zero idea what we live with.
Link Posted: 12/24/2013 6:00:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

Classy, even by GD standards.

Sure is a shame too, GD doesn't need to be full of trolling and insults 24/7.  We are mostly grown men for God's sake.
Link Posted: 12/24/2013 7:02:57 PM EDT
[#9]
If you have physical damage causing your pain, epidural injections may provide temporary relief, but the steroids can cause bone, nerve and muscle damage and make things worse.  Not saying that the temporary relief may be needed, but long term you  may be in store for injection after injection.
Link Posted: 12/24/2013 7:12:20 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

I just hiked the grand canyon with a 55 LB pack and crazy as it sounds, I
had very little pain after. Maybe it's just being high on life but it
makes me emotional just knowing that I can do it still.

View Quote

Awesome!!!!  I want to get out an enjoy life, but the pain certainly has kept me from doing it.  

I also have severe sleep apnea, and the pain in my neck prevents me from using the CPAP most nights (straps from the masks), so I'm constantly tired.  I'm looking into a mouth device.  My sleep doc says a mouth device isn't sufficient for severe cases, but hey, it's better than nothing.  

Link Posted: 12/24/2013 7:13:39 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

If you have physical damage causing your pain, epidural injections may provide temporary relief, but the steroids can cause bone, nerve and muscle damage and make things worse.  Not saying that the temporary relief may be needed, but long term you  may be in store for injection after injection.
View Quote

I think my doc is just trying to tie me over until we can retry the RF ablation.

I'm all for temporary relief at this time.

Link Posted: 12/24/2013 7:13:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
To those of you reading this thread that don't suffer from this sort of pain: pray to your god daily for that and never take it for granted.  All of life becomes secondary to the hurt and the seeking of relief, all of it, even living.  You'll never understand what it does to you and you should be glad for that.

View Quote

Well said

I have had 7 surgeries in various body areas, some injuries, some medical, I have injured my back many times and thought that was the worst pain imaginable.

But no, nerve pain is WAY WORSE!!! There is virtually no relief, and when you can get relief it takes many hours-days to get that relief.
Link Posted: 12/24/2013 7:22:11 PM EDT
[#13]

I know I'm not responding to every one of you, but I appreciate how many of you show genuine support.  It's nice to know I have an awesome group of people that support me, many of whom are in this boat with me.  It often feels like I'm alone at sea in a lifeboat with no sign of rescue.  Knowing others are in the boat makes the pain more bearable.  
Link Posted: 12/24/2013 7:38:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I know I'm not responding to every one of you, but I appreciate how many of you show genuine support.  It's nice to know I have an awesome group of people that support me, many of whom are in this boat with me.  It often feels like I'm alone at sea in a lifeboat with no sign of rescue.  Knowing others are in the boat makes the pain more bearable.  
View Quote

I'm sorry to hear about your pain OP. I have two close friends that go through the same stuff. One has openly admitted to contemplating suicide, even discussing it with his wife. She understood.

I'm sure its tough, but try to stay positive. Wish you the best and quick recovery.
Link Posted: 12/25/2013 7:51:03 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
People that haven't experienced this kind of pain should shut their fucking faces with smartass platitudes and comments about "harden up" and "walk it off"

View Quote

Dude's right.
Link Posted: 12/25/2013 7:55:42 AM EDT
[#16]
Even low-level chronic pain takes a heavy toll.  I often have back pain.  I usually manage to keep it under control, but something as (thoughtless but) innocent as an unexpected pat on the back can knock me off balance and set off a painful muscle spasm.

I've been known to react violently to even a slight touch in the wrong spot at the wrong moment because it can trigger acute pain.
Link Posted: 1/17/2014 5:17:50 PM EDT
[#17]
All too often, I am reminded that these times are not designed to
accommodate people in my condition.  These reminders cut deep, and make
me want to bow out.  Today is the 3,551st consecutive day that I have
been in pain, and I am growing tired of this battle.

I'm 100 days away from my 10th anniversary, and my doctors don't know what to do to help me.

I think 10 years of trying is enough.

Link Posted: 1/17/2014 5:21:48 PM EDT
[#18]
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top