Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 6:11:18 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
been working with this stuff over a year. i made tons of bracelets and keychains.

also works great for zipper pulls. i replace the tiny zipper pulls with matching paracord ones on all my bags

any pictures? that sounds like a great idea
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 6:18:35 AM EDT
[#2]
I have made several. I like them. :)
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 6:21:07 AM EDT
[#3]
If you want to be really high speed, use a Fastex buckle with the built-in emergency whistle.

Kharn
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 6:47:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Make a monkey's fist with a 1" steel ball bearing, or a .58 lead ball.  You can mess stuff up with one of these.
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 6:58:08 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

I braid 550 cord like a one armed drunken retard.

Link Posted: 1/2/2012 7:42:37 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 7:56:22 AM EDT
[#7]
Check out TIAT (Tying it all together) on YouTube.  He is selling a book, but he has MANY videos with lots of braids/weaves that you can watch for free.
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 7:59:56 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Make a monkey's fist with a 1" steel ball bearing, or a .58 lead ball.  You can mess stuff up with one of these.
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_reNOkLws9ms/TF1tfHHme4I/AAAAAAAAAAU/NovZPID3wcY/s1600/Photo135.jpg

Hmmm...
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 8:30:47 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_reNOkLws9ms/TF1tfHHme4I/AAAAAAAAAAU/NovZPID3wcY/s1600/Photo135.jpg

Hmmm...

"One whack to the grape and its coloring books for Christmas"

Kharn

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 8:35:40 AM EDT
[#10]

It's not whiz-bang tactical, but one good smack to the grape and it's coloring books for Christmas...
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 8:52:53 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Check out TIAT (Tying it all together) on YouTube.  He is selling a book, but he has MANY videos with lots of braids/weaves that you can watch for free.

Yep, this guy is the best teacher I've found on youtube for many different knots and braids.
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 8:54:10 AM EDT
[#12]
Nice work!

I have been making lanyards, but I should get some clasps and make some bracelets.

Link Posted: 1/2/2012 9:06:00 AM EDT
[#13]

Maybe it's just me but the only 550 bracelet I wore was made and given to me by Recon Marines for the work I did with them. I wouldn't feel right making one myself and wearing it around town. I often get asked if I was Recon (because of the bracelet) and I'm very quick to tell the truth about how I obtained my bracelet. It was an honor to have been given that bracelet.
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 9:16:59 AM EDT
[#14]
I made a hatband that holds between 40 and 50 feet of cord.  I attached the ends together by just overlapping the beginning and starting into a king cobra weave for a couple of inches.  Looks much better than the fake leather band that came with the hat.  I doubt I'll ever actually unbraid it and use it, but it was a fun way to keep my hands busy while watching a movie.
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 9:28:01 AM EDT
[#15]
I would like to have a belt made out of paracord.
But a bracelet no thanks.
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 9:44:01 AM EDT
[#16]
Made these for the kids for stocking stuffers. They each got a knife and bracelet.

Link Posted: 1/2/2012 9:48:57 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Maybe it's just me but the only 550 bracelet I wore was made and given to me by Recon Marines for the work I did with them. I wouldn't feel right making one myself and wearing it around town. I often get asked if I was Recon (because of the bracelet) and I'm very quick to tell the truth about how I obtained my bracelet. It was an honor to have been given that bracelet.

Yup, its just you
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 9:51:45 AM EDT
[#18]
Stormdranes blog has a ton of great ideas. He also has a link for curved buckles, to fit your wrist more naturally.
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 11:40:00 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup, its just you

Oh well, guess I'm just not cool for having one with meaning and that I didn't make. To some it's a big deal to get one of those bracelets, more than just a fashion accessory.  
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 12:25:47 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
I'm wondering if I could make a long 'rope' like that, and then wrap it around the pipe on my ACE folding stock....

Couldn't hurt to try. Guess I'll have to get some paracord and buckles and try.

I see where you are headed and that sounds like a great idea..maybe even a snatch em' strap for my Jeep. They got some big paracord at Walmart on sale for cheap, can't remember the price. I also wonder if a necklace knife lanyard would work out if it were smaller weave..hmmm.

Nice. I was just looking at www.paracord.com. They have a TON of different paracord colors and patterns, as well as buckles and shit. I'm thinking I could do a couple bracelets... then maybe some lanyards to use as pull cords on my backpack, and maybe a lanyard for my car key.

What does Wally world call paracord? Can you list product codes or more info to help us find this?

I might see if I can get over to WalMart and see what they have. Their paracord is usually in the camping section, right?

No...this was at the end of the aisle in the house goods section, air filters, bug zappers, lightbulbs..I did'nt get to see any in the camping section. If you did'nt have a surplus store you might order online and get 100 foot in the colors you desire and get plenty of buckles. They have them in different colors also. Walmart does have the larger nylon cord that could probably be made for bigger things..like a jetski rope, toe rope or maybe a snatch em' strap for my Jeep. I'm gonna check the tonnage weight rating and see if it will work if it gets quadrupled/sextupled or triple by-pass weaved...

Link Posted: 1/2/2012 4:43:40 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup, its just you

Oh well, guess I'm just not cool for having one with meaning and that I didn't make. To some it's a big deal to get one of those bracelets, more than just a fashion accessory.  

They're bracelets. If you want to assign significance to it, that's on you, not us.

Before you get ticked at me, I have plenty of things I assign significance to that you guys would probably scratch your heads at...
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 4:45:07 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Made these for the kids for stocking stuffers. They each got a knife and bracelet.

http://i39.tinypic.com/f1wcg4.jpg

Link Posted: 1/2/2012 4:55:34 PM EDT
[#23]
Here's the stuff from Walmart and I put the lower there for size comparison.

Link Posted: 1/2/2012 4:59:44 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

I got a green one from the 7th Special Forces group friend of mine and hence I started making them on my own..it's just you bro and it's just paracord. What you make of it as far as significance, is all you.
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 5:42:26 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Outside of a very select group of people, almost no one knows that they would wear them to begin with, or associate their use as such. I ride mountain bikes and hike a lot, and in those circles para bracelets are sold, known, and marketed as survival bracelets. They sell them at REI, on ebay, hell I saw some for sale at the flea market in all colors and weaves.

It's just a bracelet.

Link Posted: 1/2/2012 5:44:22 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I braid 550 cord like a one armed drunken retard.

We can't all be Sailors with knots and shit.....don't you judge me!

Link Posted: 1/2/2012 5:53:16 PM EDT
[#27]
OP inspired me, I ordered 4 different colors of paracord today and a bucket of 100 plastic clasps. Can't wait for it all to get here.
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 5:58:13 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

http://i39.tinypic.com/f1wcg4.jpg

Now is prolly not the best time to bring this up, but remeber that one night stand you had 27 years ago? well anyway ill PM ya my address and you can mail me my stocking stuffer...
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 5:58:33 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
OP inspired me, I ordered 4 different colors of paracord today and a bucket of 100 plastic clasps. Can't wait for it all to get here.

Sounds like a prison job to me.  A couple for friends and family, cool.  100 is a job.
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 6:02:18 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup, its just you

The majority of people don't know the traditions we have with 550 cord wraps on paddles we give to people. It is something to be honored but I don't look down on people who make bracelets for themselves. If you can search, there are people selling these bracelets for $90.......
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 6:50:45 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I would like to have a belt made out of paracord.
But a bracelet no thanks.

Start by making a bracelet..... then make it longer.
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 7:00:13 PM EDT
[#32]
tag

Link Posted: 1/2/2012 7:16:57 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sounds like a prison job to me.  A couple for friends and family, cool.  100 is a job.

Got a deal on them. They were cheaper than the bucket of 50 (after shipping) and were made by the same company. I'll just have a bunch laying around for future projects.
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 7:50:56 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hmmm...

"One whack to the grape and its coloring books for Christmas"

Kharn

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile

Must be my sense of humor or complete lack of sleep, but I laughed for a good minute at that.  

As for length, I did a double-cobra lanyard for my key ring that was about 6" long.   I believe I ended up using 24' of 550 (about 14' of tan for first-round and about 10' for the 2nd-round.).
However, the black portion is now missing as it was needed for something while traveling.  

Link Posted: 1/2/2012 8:09:38 PM EDT
[#35]
I figured out a cooler, more streamlined way to attach the Fastex buckles.

Link Posted: 1/3/2012 7:27:52 AM EDT
[#36]
Mine did not turn out as good I don't think. It fit on my wrist when I started, but would now only fit a small child. I used the instructions of the Instructables website.

(The para cord is Woodland camo, the flash made it appear lighter in color.)

Anybody have a picture tutorial on how to do a fish tail para cord bracelet?
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 7:48:35 AM EDT
[#37]
I recently started playing around with paracord projects.  I have made a few bracelets and key rings.  My youngest son loves his survival bracelet.  He got the first one I ever made so he thought that was cool.  I made a nice neck lanyard for my work I.D.  I got tired having one like everyone else so I decided to make myself something unique.  I will post pictures when I get a chance.

ETA: Post 1000
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 8:00:55 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Stormdranes blog has a ton of great ideas. He also has a link for curved buckles, to fit your wrist more naturally.

Yup, I've gotten some cool ideas from his blog, some of the stuff he does is just awesome looking.

For those who haven't seen it before:

http://stormdrane.blogspot.com/

Link Posted: 1/3/2012 8:09:48 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 8:11:31 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup, its just you

I didn't realize it was a Force Recon thing. I mean it's not like wearing an EGA or shirt that says ARMY on it. I thought they were simply "just in case" types of things that people carried for one reason or another in what was a convenient way for them. I mean I'm a little ignorant on them. I've only glossed over the few threads I've seen in GD on them and thought they could come in handy.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 8:13:58 AM EDT
[#41]
I made one with that closed with a loop and a button from my DCUs.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 8:14:41 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Nice work!

I have been making lanyards, but I should get some clasps and make some bracelets.

http://www.robbstop.com/images/lanyards1-1-12.jpg  

Damn fine Hinderer's there.  
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 8:27:53 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup, its just you

The majority of people don't know the traditions we have with 550 cord wraps on paddles we give to people. It is something to be honored but I don't look down on people who make bracelets for themselves. If you can search, there are people selling these bracelets for $90.......

If you figure out who's buying them for $90, please let me know.

I'm willing to let you get rich selling them.  I'll provide them to you for $25 each.  That's a pretty good markup.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 8:40:43 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 8:42:17 AM EDT
[#45]
I have gotten some interesting comments on my bracelet since I started wearing it.

- YO MAN IS THAT THE ROPE FROM BOONDOCK SAINTS?

- YOU EVER HANG ANYONE WITH THAT?

- THAT'S HOW LONG YOUR TAMPON STRING IS.

Personal Favorite- WHAT KIND OF METAL IS THAT?

NOW, is anyone making these to order? I would LOVVVVVVVE a 3 inch wide one made of black and grey or black and green. If anyone is, PLEASE IM me.

Link Posted: 1/3/2012 8:54:19 AM EDT
[#46]
I love making my own paracord stuff! This is what I have on me today.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us" />
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 8:56:45 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I've made 550-cord key-rings before but I think the bracelets are a bit on the gay looking side.

Why would a man want to wear a bracelet in the first place except maybe one of the old POW/MIA bracelets?

I must have missed the acceptable male fashion memo on bracelets.

Dude, it's automatically HSLD super Tier 1 manly because it's PARACORD.  Duh.  

when you get right down to it, it's the same reason I wear Oakley gloves - because my character on Call of Duty has them.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 9:02:35 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Must be my sense of humor or complete lack of sleep, but I laughed for a good minute at that.  

The picture with the Glock above is the original.

I can't remember who first posted it, but it's one of the funniest sentences I have ever read.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 9:03:41 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I've made 550-cord key-rings before but I think the bracelets are a bit on the gay looking side.

Why would a man want to wear a bracelet in the first place except maybe one of the old POW/MIA bracelets?

I must have missed the acceptable male fashion memo on bracelets.

Dude, it's automatically HSLD super Tier 1 manly because it's PARACORD.  Duh.  

when you get right down to it, it's the same reason I wear Oakley gloves - because my character on Call of Duty has them.

I have to cover a tattoo for work. I usually alternate watch/bracelet. Now if I could figure out how to weave a watch face into my cord....
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 9:06:56 AM EDT
[#50]
If one were so inclined, you could have a nice little side business making bracelets, monkey-fists, lanyards, slings...and other things from para cord.  

On-line sales would be a given, but I would think lots of gun stores, public markets, sporting goods stores, mil-surplus stores, local gun shows would be good targets for sales and yield a decent return on investment.  
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top