Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/31/2014 11:53:57 AM EDT
[#1]
I don't have kids, but I do recall when my sibling had them and they behaved badly, my Father laughed at the concept of "Time Outs".

He laughed at the concept of time out for us as well.  
Link Posted: 1/31/2014 11:54:55 AM EDT
[#2]
I believe spanking is:
-a sign of poor parenting theretofore.  Either is used as a desperate when the parent has been an inconsistint disciplinarian to that point or b/c of a lack of creativity and awareness of what privilidges the child enjoys that may be revoked.
-wrong b/c there is really no more relationship of a disparity of power than the parent/child relationship w/ the child being in the vulnerable/powerless position.
-wrong (unless used in self defesense basically lol) b/c it violates the principle of non-aggression.
-good for training your child to be a statist bootlicker who looks for an authority to yeild to rather than taking personal responsibility.
-does not train your child to deal w/ others in voluntary, non-coercive, ways through negotiation.

To those who say: "in only spank as a last resort." I say:
"I only rape as a last resort, like if I ask her out and she says no."  

Hyperbolic and absurd comparison but it is illustrive.  If a guy had rape on the back of his mind while asking the woman out, do you think that maybe she would be creeped out?  

Or: I really want that car, so I'm a gonna try and get some job, or play the lottery to buy it, but if not, I'll just steal it.  

Link Posted: 1/31/2014 11:58:44 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I used to spank my kids when they were younger.  They are such good kids now that I don't need to anymore so F#CK YOU antispanking libtards!  It Does work!
View Quote

sure. but at what cost?  

Link Posted: 1/31/2014 11:59:51 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Kids need to be spanked.  Sorry but that's the problem with our youth today, parents scared to discipline their kids.
View Quote

don't think for a minute, that all those "urban youths" didn't get beat by their mothers constantly.
Link Posted: 1/31/2014 12:15:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Spank for immediate results to make the point. Then removal of privileges and stuff for long lasting effect.
Link Posted: 1/31/2014 12:52:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I believe spanking is:
-a sign of poor parenting theretofore.  Either is used as a desperate when the parent has been an inconsistint disciplinarian to that point or b/c of a lack of creativity and awareness of what privilidges the child enjoys that may be revoked.
-wrong b/c there is really no more relationship of a disparity of power than the parent/child relationship w/ the child being in the vulnerable/powerless position.
-wrong (unless used in self defesense basically lol) b/c it violates the principle of non-aggression.
-good for training your child to be a statist bootlicker who looks for an authority to yeild to rather than taking personal responsibility.
-does not train your child to deal w/ others in voluntary, non-coercive, ways through negotiation.

To those who say: "in only spank as a last resort." I say:
"I only rape as a last resort, like if I ask her out and she says no."  

Hyperbolic and absurd comparison but it is illustrive.  If a guy had rape on the back of his mind while asking the woman out, do you think that maybe she would be creeped out?  

Or: I really want that car, so I'm a gonna try and get some job, or play the lottery to buy it, but if not, I'll just steal it.  

View Quote

hehe, wife just got back from thrift store w/ 2yo.  An old man was flabbergasted at how well she behaved and gave  her a dollar to put in her piggy bank.  After she thaked him, he told her mom that if he had more he would have given it to her   This is all w/o spanking, physical force of any sort, or physical intimadation.
Link Posted: 1/31/2014 12:57:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Truth.

My Sisinlaw took a holistic hands off approach she read in some shitty book (Spock?) and my niece and nephew are total waists.

Crime, heroin, booz, unwanted pregnancy.

Me, I feared my father and would rather sleep in the woods than come home in trouble.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Kids need to be spanked.  Sorry but that's the problem with our youth today, parents scared to discipline their kids.

Truth.

My Sisinlaw took a holistic hands off approach she read in some shitty book (Spock?) and my niece and nephew are total waists.

Me, I feared my father and would rather sleep in the woods than come home in trouble.

and don't you guys posit a faulty dilemma that either:
1. spank you kids and they turn out good
2. do some non-spanking hippie bullshit and they end up teen pregnant, in jail etc.

These are not the only two options. it is far more important that you are clear and consistent in your rules and punishments than the particular nature of those punishments, provided that they are sufficient to deter said behavior.
Link Posted: 1/31/2014 1:01:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

2. do some non-spanking hippie bullshit and they end up teen pregnant, in jail etc.

These are not the only two options. it is far more important that you are clear and consistent in your rules and punishments than the particular nature of those punishments, provided that they are sufficient to deter said behavior.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Truth.

LOL

arfcom only groks two options on any given topic
Link Posted: 1/31/2014 1:02:27 PM EDT
[#9]
my 4 year old got the belt for the first time last weekend.  i didn't know how hard was too hard, so i didn't swing for the fences, just a smacking sound.  so after he had calmed down a few hours, he told me to do it a "little bit harder next time"
Link Posted: 1/31/2014 1:04:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Definitely not either/or.

My kids get an "all-of-the-above" approach to discipline and punishment (yes, they're distinct), but all methods are administered within strict, safe, and effective guidelines set up by their loving parents.
Link Posted: 1/31/2014 1:10:16 PM EDT
[#11]
I did when he was young, less than 10. Then I remembered that it just pissed me off. It was more punishment for me the take away my dirt bike or rifle or shotgun depending on the time of year it was. So as he became a teen I started grounding him from the things he most liked. In his case iPod, Playstation, etc. Then after he got his drivers license taking away  his car worked even better. So punishment progressed as he aged. Now he's 19 and is a good kid. Works and attends the community college.
Link Posted: 1/31/2014 1:11:31 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Agreed. Amazing to watch other peoples parenting skills and see the results.

It is really amazing how one can actually reason with a child if the time is taken to explain things so they understand.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I never spanked my kid, but that was just because she never needed it. If you can achieve the desired results without spankings, there is no need for them. If you can't achieve the desired results, it might be an option that you need to consider. Kids are all different. What works for one may not work for another. I know that when I was growing an ass whoopin was the worst possible punishment and I sure as hell made sure not to do what netted me one of those.

Agreed. Amazing to watch other peoples parenting skills and see the results.

It is really amazing how one can actually reason with a child if the time is taken to explain things so they understand.

Tell that to my wife.  According to her our three year old dosn't understand anything when you try to explain it to her.  

For the most part she's a good kid and when she needs them time outs work.  Also the threat of taking something away.  There have been a few times when she is just out of control and a quick spank seems to bring her back to reality.  

Link Posted: 1/31/2014 1:13:25 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

My father would simply say in a low voice that we were "cruisin for a bruisin" and that pretty much stopped everything because we knew that he never said it twice.
View Quote

I tried that a couple times.  Turns out it reminds me of my dad (he passed away 12 years ago) and how much I am turning into him and I just can't keep a straight face.  

Link Posted: 1/31/2014 1:16:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

This. I have no issues spanking my kids. Open handed with reasonable force.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This. I have no issues spanking my kids. Open handed with reasonable force.

My daddy instilled discipline in my brother and I via spankings.

We turned out OK.

I do the same with my kids when warranted.

Link Posted: 1/31/2014 1:40:55 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
If that is what you think is going on then the people you've watched are doing it wrong.

Spanking should be thought of as the logical conclusion of incorrect behavior.   And that is how the real world works so I really don't understand your stance.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

My kid hasnt "needed" a spanking yet but to me, I see it as a failure of the parents resorting to beating because they were unable to to come up with anything better. You are in fact, smarter than a kid.

True that.

Teaching a child to resort to violence when logic and reasoning doesn't work will only set them up for failure in the real world where there is a general lack of logic and reason.

If that is what you think is going on then the people you've watched are doing it wrong.

Spanking should be thought of as the logical conclusion of incorrect behavior.   And that is how the real world works so I really don't understand your stance.

Spanking is not the logical conclusion of anything but the decision to spank. It's a single tool in the box, and for me and my wife the very last one we ever resorted to. 2 times in 17 years was it necessary. 99 times out of 100, it was not the "logical" conclusion of incorrect behavior, any more than putting a cigarette out on a kid's forehead is.

I considered it a failure when I had to resort to it....as should any parent. If you're left with that as an option, you failed to think of anything else, or control your child with more rational and considerate means.

Link Posted: 1/31/2014 1:47:25 PM EDT
[#16]
Not even close to being in before "you shouldn't hit your kids".

It was a tool in the toolbox. It's stupid if that's your only tool, and it's stupid to automatically exclude it because you listened to dr oz.
Link Posted: 1/31/2014 2:02:44 PM EDT
[#17]
We save it for really vile behavior like biting or spitting. It's definitely not as common in my house as it was when I was a kid.
Link Posted: 1/31/2014 2:08:18 PM EDT
[#18]
Never had to. When very young he was grounded and did the stand in the corner thing. I did'nt plan it this way but I did explain myself and made my son understand his mistakes.
Link Posted: 1/31/2014 2:11:09 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 1/31/2014 2:28:31 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
My kid hasnt "needed" a spanking yet but to me, I see it as a failure of the parents resorting to beating because they were unable to to come up with anything better. You are in fact, smarter than a kid.

True that.

Teaching a child to resort to violence when logic and reasoning doesn't work will only set them up for failure in the real world where there is a general lack of logic and reason.

I used to think it woudl b e agood idea to "spank" (which is a euphamism for hit) my child, before I had any, b/c ultimately, that is how the worl works, you break the man's rules, the police will cage you and give you a beating/shooting if you don't go along w/ the "consequences."  

That is true, that if you come up against the man, force will  be applied.  Unfortunately, this occurs for any number of arbitrary rules of hte man, not just for real crimes w/ real victims.  The state uses violence for any many of arbitray malun prohibito BS.  I want my kids to understand that if they commit aggression, the will, and should be met with force, but I don't want teach htem that it is right for force to be applied to them for breaking arbitrary rules and to view all reltion ships in terms of a struggle for domination rathar than negotiation and comproise.

I WILL NOT be accessory to the state in forming my children to arrange themselves in world in victim/victimizer dynamic.  They will be formed to NEVER be an aggressor NOR a victim.
Link Posted: 1/31/2014 8:45:01 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

What's he do when they say NO!

No hitting, just good eye contact, a loud voice and threats of taking things away
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
My dad spanked me.  
My mom use whatever she had access to (belt, tv changer, comb.).

My brother does not hit his kids, never has, never will.

What he does do is "The Treatment".

Push ups, sit ups, and wall sitting.

http://thrivept.net/site/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/Wall-Sit.jpg
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/6e/Push_up_(PSF).png
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_eMdGPS4vwcs/TPXZH42JxwI/AAAAAAAAAE0/ez9gbVUDcI4/s1600/1236787281185-w99ou24oq0pn-500-90-500-70.jpg

What's he do when they say NO!

No hitting, just good eye contact, a loud voice and threats of taking things away

Haha, I don't know.

They have never refused.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top