Page / 8
Link Posted: 9/11/2019 8:37:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Bad move
Link Posted: 9/11/2019 8:45:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I’m ok with colt floundering on the verge of relevance like it has been for years. I didn’t mind picking up sub $700 6920’s recently and who could forget those OEM 2’s for less than $600.
View Quote
What he said, I've 2 cheap 6920's at home NIB plus 2 "shooter's ", and don't forget the cheap 6920 uppers that people have sold.  I got 2 of those in the safe that I built up using my parts stash
Link Posted: 9/11/2019 8:54:53 PM EDT
[#3]
@Undefined I think this has been sufficiently debunked to merit a change to the thread title.
Link Posted: 9/11/2019 9:30:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Folks, consider the source: TTAG.

Rarely is there a gun blog that gets it wrong more of the time than TTAG.

Colt is, in fact, filling a number of contracts at the moment. The RSR representative apparently didn't quite understand what he was being told and TTAG, the bunch of click-baity jagoffs that they are, failed to do any followup.

Colt is apparently so short handed in filling some military contracts they have right now that they are dedicating personnel and production resources to filling those contracts. They are not leaving the civilian market.

So put down the pitchforks.
View Quote
Good.

Now I can buy King Cobra Target from them without feeling bad about it.
Link Posted: 9/11/2019 9:30:44 PM EDT
[#5]
TTAG strikes again
Link Posted: 9/11/2019 9:58:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Meh, just an over priced roll stamp...I'll stick to my $29 poverty ponies that work every bit as good and buy more mags, ammo and optics with the savings.
View Quote
I'd pay $10 more for one without the gay ass roll mark. Either way I roll my own these days. No markings are the best markings.
Link Posted: 9/11/2019 9:59:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Why buy an AR that doesn't have a full M16 BCG and a lower rear shelf?
View Quote
Link Posted: 9/11/2019 10:45:30 PM EDT
[#8]
i bet cloners caused them to do this
Link Posted: 9/11/2019 10:50:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
@Undefined I think this has been sufficiently debunked to merit a change to the thread title.
View Quote
@fssf158 I have been dealing with other things and have not kept up with the past several pages of the thread. Could you provide a synopsis of what I missed and/or a suggestion of what you would like it changed to and any clarifying message you would like added to the OP?

Please @ me in your response.
Link Posted: 9/11/2019 10:52:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
The fuck are they doing?
View Quote
Calling it quits?
Link Posted: 9/11/2019 11:01:11 PM EDT
[#11]
So they are going to focus on lowest bidder contracts instead of selling high margin guns to idiots? Makes sense
Link Posted: 9/11/2019 11:02:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
The fuck are they doing?
View Quote
Dying.
Link Posted: 9/11/2019 11:07:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Hahaha! What stupid fucking brainiac thought that would be a good idea?

You keep producing for civilians while seeking .mil contracts.
Link Posted: 9/11/2019 11:17:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Good luck getting the contract away from FN...
View Quote
Yup, that's not going to happen. Colt can't match the pricing FN gave the government on that one, especially not by sourcing components in even smaller numbers by cutting of commercial production. FN will be making M4 until M4 is no longer a thing.

I would suspect Colt being Colt, is so inefficient in their commercial production that there is no way they can compete on prices, the guns simply arent moving at what they need to get out of them, and  it just doesnt make sense. I suspect that they also know that if they arent able to produce some or all of whatever is adopted off NGSW, likely as a subcontractor for components, (assuming something is adopted and that's a big if still) they are totally dead in the water.  Textron is working with HK, GD is working with Beretta, and Sig is doing it solo (ish). If big DoD procures off of it and Colt cant get its grubby paws in their anywhere they are done.
Link Posted: 9/11/2019 11:22:59 PM EDT
[#15]
I think it is a smoke and mirrors move.  Behind closed doors I bet the local politicians and SJW groups were demanding they stop selling AR’s to the civilian market.  Their spin doctor PR firm probably came up with this idea so gun owners wouldn’t think they were caving in to the anti gun crowd, all the while their statement makes ZERO sense from a financial standpoint.
Link Posted: 9/11/2019 11:27:23 PM EDT
[#16]
Rifles made by union cockroach democrats anyway.
Link Posted: 9/12/2019 12:17:19 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I just bought an M4A1 Marked "Colt" but I think the lower is fake. I did the serial lookup on their website and it returned zero information. Anyone know what I can do to check to make sure it's legit without the fee from colt?
View Quote
@EnduroBro

Pics? would like to see the rollmarks
Link Posted: 9/12/2019 4:05:32 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
The fuck are they doing?
View Quote
I can't really say that I want most of their current production stuff anyways.
Link Posted: 9/12/2019 4:12:23 AM EDT
[#19]
Never owned a Colt, but aren't they somewhat poorly made compared to others in the same price range?
Link Posted: 9/12/2019 4:18:12 AM EDT
[#20]
Wonder if they'll license the brand to another company to make commercial stuff like Colt Competition did?
Link Posted: 9/12/2019 7:46:24 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
@EnduroBro

Pics? would like to see the rollmarks
View Quote
@FREEFALLE7

Go check my thread in colt industry.
Link Posted: 9/12/2019 8:23:36 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 9/12/2019 8:37:01 AM EDT
[#23]
TTAG = Fake News
Link Posted: 9/12/2019 8:47:40 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
TTAG = Fake News
View Quote
I assume this is just temporary until they catch up with the military contracts.
Link Posted: 9/12/2019 8:56:36 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I assume this is just temporary until they catch up with the military contracts.
View Quote
It is.  They have deadlines to meet on foreign military contracts, they miss the deadlines they get penalized so production is focused on that, ArmsUnlimited has stated there is no production capacity available for anything other than those military orders temporarily.

Commercial sales always come second, military sales come first; always been that way with Colt.  Sad to see the level of hate for Colt here on ARFcom...
Link Posted: 9/12/2019 8:58:25 AM EDT
[#26]
What's their (actual cost manufacturered) market share?

No big deal.
Link Posted: 9/12/2019 9:03:40 AM EDT
[#27]
I have two Colt 6920 Law enforcement ARs with restricted roll marks. Both never opened, still in factory SEALED boxes. Looks like it was a good move keeping these sealed. Would love to trade these and $$ for a FN M249s or something old school and knarly.

I have a 3rd LE6920 that's my shooter.
Link Posted: 9/12/2019 10:53:16 AM EDT
[#28]
Sad in a way. I still remember when the Colt AR-15 was the gold standard of MSR's and the "Colt's Firearms Division/Colt Industries" rollmark meant something. Now? Don't let the door hit your a$$ on the way out. Colt lost it when they temporarily stopped making AR's in 1989 and then added features like the useless "sear block" to make things even more complicated.
Link Posted: 9/12/2019 2:00:04 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

@FREEFALLE7

Go check my thread in colt industry.
View Quote
Will do thanks
Link Posted: 9/12/2019 2:01:36 PM EDT
[#30]
Dang, I remember when I signed up on this site and not having a Colt drew the "It's your funeral" crowd like moths to a flame.
Link Posted: 9/12/2019 2:23:03 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
isn't that what the gov pays for m4s'?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It makes sense.... they can't compete with $450.00 guns.
Link Posted: 9/12/2019 2:23:53 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It makes sense.... they can't compete with $450.00 guns.
Link Posted: 9/12/2019 2:27:29 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Dang, I remember when I signed up on this site and not having a Colt drew the "It's your funeral" crowd like moths to a flame.
View Quote
Then they discovered poverty ponies.
Link Posted: 9/12/2019 6:27:32 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
@fssf158 I have been dealing with other things and have not kept up with the past several pages of the thread. Could you provide a synopsis of what I missed and/or a suggestion of what you would like it changed to and any clarifying message you would like added to the OP?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@Undefined from the industry forum thread linked on page 6 of this thread, quote from @Shawnmt6601 in that thread.  Seems to have an inside source.

"so, word is its a slow down for 60 days the guy at RSR has supposedly been fired for sending out that email and colt has told RSR to release a statement on that. waiting to see when and if that happens.

Im hearing they are have orders for civilian production for this November with a big push for more of the SOCOM models"

I'd recommend clarification in the title to indicate that this is temporary so we can cut down on the unnecessary panic and condemnation of Colt for permanently discontinuing civilian AR sales, which they are apparently not doing.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/13/2019 2:44:15 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 9/13/2019 7:21:12 AM EDT
[#36]
Only 17 Colt 6920 on Gun broker. Something's going on????
Link Posted: 9/13/2019 7:28:34 AM EDT
[#37]
https://www.shootingillustrated.com/articles/2019/9/12/the-truth-about-colts-ar-15-production/

Recently, a story broke regarding an email communication from RSR Group, a firearm distributor that carries Colt firearms, that Colt notified them of its intention to discontinue production of all Colt long guns for the retail market in an effort to “focus on military and law-enforcement demand.”

This news caused many firearm enthusiasts to claim mismanagement on the part of company executives and to claim that Colt hasn’t changed its ways, a reference to popular perception that Colt’s 2015 filing for bankruptcy stemmed from the company’s focus on government contracts at the expense of the consumer market. However, the real story is a simple case of capitalism in action.
View Quote
“What’s true today is that the MSR market is much more price-driven,” Spitale said. “We’ve seen a pretty sharp decline in rifle sales, given our price points, resulting in significant inventory build-up held by our distributors.”

Colt considers its business anchored to four foundations of the market: government contracts, law-enforcement sales, international sales and the retail market. Though the company lost its primary contract for military-issue M16s and M4s in 2013, the company still retains a robust contract base that keeps production going.
View Quote
In fact, according to Spitale, Colt’s manufacturing capacity for AR-style rifles is currently tied up in producing guns for outstanding contracts. Given this demand and given the lack of demand from the retail side of the market, Colt’s determination to suspend retail production is good business sense. M16s and AR-15s are different rifles, and to tie up production capacity in producing commercial semi-auto-only guns that nobody’s buying at the expense of outstanding military contracts is just bad business.
View Quote
However, this recent news begs the question: when, if ever, will Colt resume commercial production of its rifles?

“It’s not forever,” Spitale said. “It’s to say that, at this moment, we’re listening to consumers and putting our resources where they’re most valued.”
View Quote
More at link.
Link Posted: 9/13/2019 7:36:39 AM EDT
[#38]
Thanks @Dark Star
Link Posted: 9/13/2019 8:58:33 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 9/13/2019 9:07:14 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I have two Colt 6920 Law enforcement ARs with restricted roll marks. Both never opened, still in factory SEALED boxes. Looks like it was a good move keeping these sealed. Would love to trade these and $$ for a FN M249s or something old school and knarly.

View Quote
2 colt 6920s for a FN m249s?

good luck with that.
Link Posted: 9/13/2019 10:00:29 AM EDT
[#41]
Sounds like Colt just gave in to the fact that people are buying less expensive alternatives, so they're concentrating on things people have apparently been hounding them for, like snake revolvers, for example.
Link Posted: 9/13/2019 10:10:45 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Sounds like Colt just gave in to the fact that people are buying less expensive alternatives, so they're concentrating on things people have apparently been hounding them for, like snake revolvers, for example.
View Quote
There is a bit of that in there, the realization that the commercial market is offering up a great many options now at a lower price point.  I'm cautiously optimistic on the Snake revolvers, but wonder how they'll build them to the levels they did in the past; all the hand fitting that was done is as much art as anything else.

Time will tell...
Link Posted: 9/13/2019 10:13:59 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

There is a bit of that in there, the realization that the commercial market is offering up a great many options now at a lower price point.  I'm cautiously optimistic on the Snake revolvers, but wonder how they'll build them to the levels they did in the past; all the hand fitting that was done is as much art as anything else.

Time will tell...
View Quote
Anyone taking bets that the new snake revolvers will have MIM internals?
Link Posted: 9/13/2019 10:39:02 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Time will tell...
What kind of bet would that be when Colt has used sintered internals since the advent of the MkIII in all but the Python?
Link Posted: 9/13/2019 10:41:00 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

What kind of bet would that be when Colt has used sintered internals since the advent of the MkIII in all but the Python?
View Quote
I didn't know they were already doing it, not being a Colt revolver fan.
Link Posted: 9/13/2019 11:09:48 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 9/13/2019 11:44:33 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

good luck with that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

good luck with that.
@snackgunner ... You should do less snacking, more reading. "Would love to trade these and $$ for a FN M249s "
Even had double $$ Homey.
Link Posted: 9/14/2019 12:19:10 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
According to the statement they want to focus on regaining contracts
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What contracts?  I think they are in the to M4--->M4A1 conversions.  What else are the currently working on?
According to the statement they want to focus on regaining contracts
You’d think that would be an admin (contracting/sales) or engineering issue, not a manufacturing capacity one.

ETA:  I see things have been cleared up.  Makes more sense now.
Link Posted: 9/14/2019 9:15:28 AM EDT
[#49]
So basically a lot of people owe TTAG an apology. The guy who sent the email deserves his job back and an apology.
Link Posted: 9/14/2019 9:22:30 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Time will tell...
Problem was, people tried to ''tune'' them and the surface is hard as "F" but the insides were soft and wore extremely quickly once the surface was cut into.

It became known pretty quickly but ''gunsmiths'' and the owners still did it with poor results.
Page / 8
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top