Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 11:48:09 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
is the bmp for sale? looks like they got a couple that are un-used.

2nd one is a BMP-2 - in front is a MTL-B with a turreted 14.5mm.

Link Posted: 2/15/2012 11:52:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Was it the govt sanctioned trip or private tour for about $100/person?  Also, did you keep your shoes??  Shrink wrap your luggage on departure???

I've been to Ukraine twice this past year and would highly recommend visiting that country.  I would advise to make some friends before going - I haven't met a Ukrainian that didn't like Americans.
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 11:54:04 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
What? No pics from the core?  Lame.

You don;t have to go to the core - to see the core now.  Although, the experience is fatal for anyone who gets as close as this fellow.

Link Posted: 2/15/2012 11:54:34 AM EDT
[#4]

Watch out! It's a CARP!!!
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 11:54:48 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

MT-LB is correct, rear one looks more like a BTR-70 to me.

Link Posted: 2/15/2012 11:58:15 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

MT-LB is correct, rear one looks more like a BTR-70 to me.  

You're right - -70 or -80.

Link Posted: 2/15/2012 11:59:48 AM EDT
[#7]
Read a neat article about the wildlife in the area and the search for genetic mutations due to radiation.

Always thought it was interesting that you can stand "here" safely, but take one step in a different direction and you'd be up to your ears in radiation.
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 12:02:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Was it the govt sanctioned trip or private tour for about $100/person?  Also, did you keep your shoes??  Shrink wrap your luggage on departure???

I've been to Ukraine twice this past year and would highly recommend visiting that country.  I would advise to make some friends before going - I haven't met a Ukrainian that didn't like Americans.

The entire former Soviet UNion is filled with people who think you are insane if you don't wrap your luggage in plastic.

It's like, seriously - in the West, we build luggage that will not explode if dropped.
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 12:13:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Read a neat article about the wildlife in the area and the search for genetic mutations due to radiation.

Always thought it was interesting that you can stand "here" safely, but take one step in a different direction and you'd be up to your ears in radiation.

I watched a special about this on Kerra TV last week.

seems as if the area is recovering fairly well. If you get a chance to watch it, do so.
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 12:14:59 PM EDT
[#10]
As a S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Shadow of Chernobyl fanboy, this thread is relevant to my interests.

Link Posted: 2/15/2012 12:18:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I watched a special about this on Kerra TV last week.

seems as if the area is recovering fairly well. If you get a chance to watch it, do so.

Will do.

Odd, from what I read they really hadn't seen negative impacts (like I thought they would) and in fact the area is teeming with wildlife.  

Some of the trees were really hot.
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 12:18:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Pretty slick. Thanks for sharing.
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 12:20:40 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You don;t have to go to the core - to see the core now.  Although, the experience is fatal for anyone who gets as close as this fellow.

http://www.petraitis.us/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/chernobyl-elephants-foot-300x250.jpg

Is that a pic of the core?

Link Posted: 2/15/2012 12:21:40 PM EDT
[#14]
ost
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 12:32:19 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.petraitis.us/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/chernobyl-elephants-foot-300x250.jpg

That is a pic of the famous "Elephants foot"...it is pretty much molten sand and molten fuel rods all mixed together that leaked its way out of the core...it is the highest radioactive area that has been discovered I believe. It would kill you in a matter of minutes if you got that close. I am sure that camera person died.

You can see the strange light swirls...that is the radiation over exposing or damaging the film even though the shutter was closed at the time.

Watched a documentary about the guys who explored the core areas shortly after the disaster to figure out what happened...they would be fine walking down a hallway, then they would turn the corner, and they would get a dose of radiation so high that they could never return to the site.

Radiation fields are crazy things...

And I stand corrected...the caption of this pic reads "The shelter site's deputy director checking out the "Elephant's Foot" in '96. This is all still pretty radioactive, so I was surprised to see the guys here not wearing full protective gear; I guess it must be all right for whatever duration they were down there, but I think if it was me, I'd want to wear the full suit, if only for the crazy headgear."

Guess they didn't die from it...But who knows if that caption is right.

Another pic:

Solidified corium flow in the steam distribution corridor below the reactor––well, this *is* the reactor, melted.

The "Elephant's Foot" 2-metric-ton blob of corium below the reactor site––uranium is heavy stuff!
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 12:39:26 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

A meted mass of fuel, ceramics, steel from the reactor, that burned down to that floor and solidified.  If it had kept going, it would have hit a basement full of water from thte  fire-fighting efforts - the resultant steam explosion would have contaminated a huge area for a long time.

I don't know if true, but apparently some volunteers made a suicude dive to open some drain vale to get the water out - the valve was opened, but some allegde the diver'sa bodies are still down there.  They went because if they did not, their families and friends would have died in the resultant explosion and contamination.

Link Posted: 2/15/2012 12:43:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

That is a pic of the famous "Elephants foot"...it is pretty much molten sand and molten fuel rods all mixed together that leaked its way out of the core...it is the highest radioactive area that has been discovered I believe. It would kill you in a matter of minutes if you got that close. I am sure that camera person died.

You can see the strange light swirls...that is the radiation over exposing or damaging the film even though the shutter was closed at the time.

Watched a documentary about the guys who explored the core areas shortly after the disaster to figure out what happened...they would be fine walking down a hallway, then they would turn the corner, and they would get a dose of radiation so high that they could never return to the site.

Radiation fields are crazy things...

Pretty cool short documentary.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xgrtsg_inside-chernobyl-s-sarcophagus_tech
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 12:45:48 PM EDT
[#18]
It's probably a dumb question, but do people still live there?
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 12:48:11 PM EDT
[#19]
Badass
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 12:50:06 PM EDT
[#20]
Thanks for the photos.

Did you ever worry about your exposure or your path was probably well marked for safety?

Link Posted: 2/15/2012 12:53:45 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

No.  The entire city was evacuated after the incident.

Link Posted: 2/15/2012 12:53:46 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
As a S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Shadow of Chernobyl fanboy, this thread is relevant to my interests.  

More a Call of Pripyat fanboy myself.
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 12:56:43 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Quoted:

There are workers who are still stationed in the area.
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 12:57:28 PM EDT
[#24]
tag for home
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 12:58:02 PM EDT
[#25]
Ive been there.
On call of duty

Link Posted: 2/15/2012 1:01:40 PM EDT
[#26]
I've always wanted to go there. Looks like a cool trip was had.
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 1:06:55 PM EDT
[#27]
Great post thanks for the pics.

GM
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 1:08:12 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Dude, they're radioactive. Everything in that area was contaminated. There's a big problem with people taking stuff out of there and selling it as scrap.
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 1:08:46 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Cool pics.

On a semi-related note, it would appear that the makers of Call of Duty:Modern Warfare really did their homework when they designed the game.

I thought some of that looked familiar!
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 1:10:13 PM EDT
[#30]
Here's a site with lots of awesome pics as well:

http://timmsuess.com/chernobyl-journal/chernobyl-journal-the-pictures/
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 1:12:57 PM EDT
[#31]
Nice, thanks for sharing.

Link Posted: 2/15/2012 1:16:18 PM EDT
[#32]
I was given a book on my last trip.  It was the anniversary edition but it is all in Russian/Ukrainian so I just look at the pictures.  This event coincided around May Day celebrations and they didn't tell the locals about the exposure in the atmosphere - thankfully most of the fallout was in Belarussia.
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 1:17:07 PM EDT
[#33]
Creepy!

Great pics but damn that place gives me the creeps!

Link Posted: 2/15/2012 1:18:11 PM EDT
[#34]
I think you might like this site
http://www.kiddofspeed.com/chernobyl-revisited/
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 1:20:40 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Nice, thanks for sharing.

No kidding those were fantastic
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 1:23:21 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Quoted:

There are a few people who live in the area.  They moved back in.  IIRC, many still hunt game in the area.
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 1:25:28 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Creepy!
Great pics but damn that place gives me the creeps!

After playing S.T.A.L.K.E.R. I'd be paranoid all the time and my head on a perpetual swivel watching for mutants.
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 1:25:38 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 1:26:57 PM EDT
[#39]
did you have a radiation monitor?

How hot was it?
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 1:28:36 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Cool pics.

On a semi-related note, it would appear that the makers of Call of Duty:Modern Warfare really did their homework when they designed the game.

Last year, I was extracted by helocopter right next to the ferris wheel; you see I was pulling a mission....

B_S
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 1:29:43 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Ive been there.

On call of duty

Hey me too.
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 1:36:20 PM EDT
[#42]
Awsome pics.

Thanks for posting them.
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 1:37:12 PM EDT
[#43]
Did you see creepy centipede roller coaster?

I have always had an interest in Russia and the surroundings.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 1:41:50 PM EDT
[#44]
Very cool pics.  Thanks for sharing.  Always thought that would be neat trip.
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 1:48:19 PM EDT
[#45]
Not worth the potential risk to my heath, I can look at picture

Check out google earth, you can see all the buildings people have recreated using google sketch up.
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 1:50:21 PM EDT
[#46]
I would imagine they are still there in some form or another..........could you imagine making the decision to do that? They had brass ones for sure..........

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

A meted mass of fuel, ceramics, steel from the reactor, that burned down to that floor and solidified.  If it had kept going, it would have hit a basement full of water from thte  fire-fighting efforts - the resultant steam explosion would have contaminated a huge area for a long time.

I don't know if true, but apparently some volunteers made a suicude dive to open some drain vale to get the water out - the valve was opened, but some allegde the diver'sa bodies are still down there.  They went because if they did not, their families and friends would have died in the resultant explosion and contamination.

Link Posted: 2/15/2012 1:53:01 PM EDT
[#47]
Not to be an ass, but it really looks like you needed to clean the lens on your camera.  

Chernobyl is one of those places I'd love to go see some day.  I'd want to take a nice camera and lots of memory so I could shoot tons of pics.
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 1:54:53 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:

The entire former Soviet UNion is filled with people who think you are insane if you don't wrap your luggage in plastic.

It's like, seriously - in the West, we build luggage that will not explode if dropped.

I worked with a Ukranian chick (her boyfriend also worked with us).  They left the company a little over a year ago and moved to the Ukraine.... so if I ever get over there, I'll have to look them up.   Realistically, I don't see myself ever really going there... but who knows?  Maybe I'll hit the lottery.
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 1:56:39 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:

These "retired" Russian armored vehicles are hot, hot, HOT!

Link Posted: 2/15/2012 2:12:20 PM EDT
[#50]
Thanks for sharing pics.

Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top