Link Posted: 2/15/2012 2:53:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Awesome Pics! I'd love to go someday
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 2:57:35 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Cool pics.

On a semi-related note, it would appear that the makers of Call of Duty:Modern Warfare really did their homework when they designed the game.

Last year, I was extracted by helocopter right next to the ferris wheel; you see I was pulling a mission....

B_S

<heavy Scots brogue>"Stay out of the contaminated areas!  Are you daft, man?"</heavy Scots brogue>

Link Posted: 2/15/2012 3:20:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Reminds me of this:

Link Posted: 2/15/2012 4:34:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Was it the govt sanctioned trip or private tour for about $100/person?  Also, did you keep your shoes??  Shrink wrap your luggage on departure???

I've been to Ukraine twice this past year and would highly recommend visiting that country.  I would advise to make some friends before going - I haven't met a Ukrainian that didn't like Americans.

The entire former Soviet UNion is filled with people who think you are insane if you don't wrap your luggage in plastic.

It's like, seriously - in the West, we build luggage that will not explode if dropped.

I worked with a Ukranian chick (her boyfriend also worked with us).  They left the company a little over a year ago and moved to the Ukraine.... so if I ever get over there, I'll have to look them up.   Realistically, I don't see myself ever really going there... but who knows?  Maybe I'll hit the lottery.

If you do, be sure to IM me or talk to someone else who has lived there.  There are a lot of tricks to living well and cheaply that are not always obvious to the tourist.  For example, unless you really, really want a front desk to talk to, staying in a hotel is a massive unnecessary waste.  There is a whole established market of furnished apartments in primo locations available for a fraction of the cost of many hotels - many managed by people who speak english.  Of course, its even cheaper if you can stay with someone - though the average Ukrainian doesn't really have a lot of extra room.
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 4:37:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
It's probably a dumb question, but do people still live there?

No.  The entire city was evacuated after the incident.

There are workers who are still stationed in the area.

The city of Pripyat is right at ground zero.  The city of Chernobyl itself is quite a ways away, and people still live there (despite the government being officially not happy).  The actual exclusion zone is huge, most of it actually being across the border in Belarus.
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 4:39:48 PM EDT
[#6]
I know I'm not the only one that immediately thought of the Sniper mission from Call of Duty 4 that takes place in Pripyat.

Link Posted: 2/15/2012 4:42:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Haunting....and it looks like 50 years not 26...sad how fast things deteriorate.
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 4:46:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Very cool. Thanks for the pictures.
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 4:46:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Haunting....and it looks like 50 years not 26...sad how fast things deteriorate.

You're looking at a lot of intentional damage from looters.  That place was stripped of metals, electronic devices, and what not over the years.  The hospital was even completely pillaged of its equipment.  Much of it made its way into the Soviet black market - and the rest left after the Soviet Union collapsed.

Link Posted: 2/15/2012 4:47:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're looking at a lot of intentional damage from looters.  That place was stripped of metals, electronic devices, and what not over the years.  The hospital was even completely pillaged of its equipment.  Much of it made its way into the Soviet black market - and the rest left after the Soviet Union collapsed.

Oh, I thought the radiation would have kept people away....guess the time capsule idea I had of that area is not true.
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 4:52:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Damn, that is creepy, so desolate and quiet. Areas of japan will probibly look somewhat similar in the near future.
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 5:01:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 5:09:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Cool pics.

On a semi-related note, it would appear that the makers of Call of Duty:Modern Warfare really did their homework when they designed the game.

I was thinking the exact same thing.

Link Posted: 2/15/2012 5:22:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Outstanding pics!  OP knows how to deliver, thank you for posting!  As others have said, this is relevant to my interests!
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 5:34:10 PM EDT
[#15]
don't know if this has been posted yet, script blocker bumps you to a different part of it but it is basically a panorama of the whole area from the voskhod building.

http://cr3ative.co.uk/chernoybl/

If I had the choice of a beach in hawaii or the tour you went on....I would have some awesome pictures of me on that Ferris wheel.  my wife thinks I'm fucking nuts
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 6:37:17 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
It's probably a dumb question, but do people still live there?

No.  The entire city was evacuated after the incident.

There are workers who are still stationed in the area.

Yeah the other 4 or whatever reactors in Pripyat were kept running for a long time...I think they were just shut down recently. So yeah, there were people still in the area.
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 6:41:12 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I think you might like this site
http://www.kiddofspeed.com/chernobyl-revisited/

That chick's story/blog/photos are supposedly all faked...she never really explored anything...I heard she just took photos on the outskirts of the exclusion zone. Still a cool blog though.
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 6:44:12 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Damn, that is creepy, so desolate and quiet. Areas of japan will probibly look somewhat similar in the near future.

No. No it won't.

Fukishima wasn't even a FRACTION of what happened in Pripyat. Fukishima was more like a warm fart comparatively.
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 6:44:41 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Cool pics.

I was thinking the exact same thing.

The ferris wheel, the swimming pool, and some of the buildings in his pics look almost exactly the same in the game.

Now as to the accuracy/plausibility of the various scenarios....

Link Posted: 2/15/2012 6:50:58 PM EDT
[#20]
Not on my list of vacation destinations but interdasting none the less.
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 7:01:41 PM EDT
[#21]
A great video on the incident.  It's long (over 40 minutes), but pretty damn cool.

Link Posted: 2/15/2012 9:24:42 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:

That chick's story/blog/photos are supposedly all faked...she never really explored anything...I heard she just took photos on the outskirts of the exclusion zone. Still a cool blog though.

Oh, that's disappointing.
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 9:40:51 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Did you go into the grade school library?  That was probably my favorite part.  That, followed by the swimming pool and then the hotel.

What group did you go with?  I hear the government is officially sponsoring trips now, or something like that.

I went with the solo east tour.

I went with these guys - you might like the website (maybe you saw their none-too subtle sign tagging the old train station shelter as well).

http://pripyat.com/

Pretty cool! I've never been there before. I remember the tour guide telling us the train station is coming up and thinking "this will be good". Pretty bad excuse for a train station. I wish I could have gotten a picture of that large soviet radar array on the way out of the exclusion zone but my SD card was full

heres more info on the radar site.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russian_Woodpecker
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/90/Woodpecker_array.jpg

Link Posted: 2/15/2012 9:50:18 PM EDT
[#24]
tag
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 9:57:47 PM EDT
[#25]
I really like the web page of the young lady who goes and explores that area on her motorcyle.
She has hundreds of cool pictures.
Signing off, off or I would look for it, maybe is 'Chernobyl Girl'.
Here Ya go.http://www.kiddofspeed.com/chapter1.html
ETA, seems she did not ride there, made it up, still, some great pics.
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 10:09:33 PM EDT
[#27]
That is the only event that I admire the Russian military. Because that event could have really been a HUGE disaster and many Russians soldiers sacrificed alot to prevent that from happening.

Link Posted: 2/15/2012 10:10:19 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Did you go into the grade school library?  That was probably my favorite part.  That, followed by the swimming pool and then the hotel.

What group did you go with?  I hear the government is officially sponsoring trips now, or something like that.

I went with the solo east tour.

I went with these guys - you might like the website (maybe you saw their none-too subtle sign tagging the old train station shelter as well).

http://pripyat.com/

Pretty cool! I've never been there before. I remember the tour guide telling us the train station is coming up and thinking "this will be good". Pretty bad excuse for a train station. I wish I could have gotten a picture of that large soviet radar array on the way out of the exclusion zone but my SD card was full

heres more info on the radar site.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russian_Woodpecker
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/90/Woodpecker_array.jpg

Remember hearing that on my shortwave, totally blocked all radio to and from Europe. And, the numbers stations.
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 10:16:53 PM EDT
[#29]
What was the station that read off a bunch of coordinates or whatever? Supposed to be for some kind of aircraft, like military stuff? I remember a thread a bit ago with it in there and they had recordings of it and it was supposed to be for aircraft.
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 10:39:27 PM EDT
[#30]
"Get out of here, Stalker!"

(can't believe I'm the first)
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 10:53:43 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Cool pics.

Last year, I was extracted by helocopter right next to the ferris wheel; you see I was pulling a mission....

B_S
 They copied the layout of that area pretty well.

Link Posted: 2/16/2012 3:58:37 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I really like the web page of the young lady who goes and explores that area on her motorcyle.
She has hundreds of cool pictures.
Signing off, off or I would look for it, maybe is 'Chernobyl Girl'.
Here Ya go.http://www.kiddofspeed.com/chapter1.html
ETA, seems she did not ride there, made it up, still, some great pics.

She was proven to be as a LIER

who knows what other lies she tells

SLUT

Link Posted: 2/16/2012 5:07:35 AM EDT
[#33]
Great pics! Thanks for sharing.

Glad you got to check it out before NEST, Optimus Prime and Shockwave destroyed that place.
Link Posted: 2/16/2012 5:13:27 AM EDT
[#34]
Awesome! Very, very cool shots.
Link Posted: 2/16/2012 8:08:33 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
"Get out of here, Stalker!"

(can't believe I'm the first)

That's because you aren't.
Link Posted: 2/16/2012 8:11:21 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh, that's disappointing.

Actually, I understand that she was there, she just misrepresented her little tour.  She went in as part of a tour group but presented her experience as if she somehow had incredible connections which allowed her privilaged access all by herself.  So she apparently did go, but it wasn't as exclusive as she wanted others to believe.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top