Site Notices
Page / 160
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 8:36:41 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

FPC Statement Regarding Membership
View Quote
Thank you for this...I joined by the skin of my teeth.
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 9:55:29 AM EDT
[#2]
So, if you receive a rejection AFTER today, are you shit out of luck for the free stamp or will there be an opportunity to resubmit?

Asking for a friend.
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 10:07:30 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
So, if you receive a rejection AFTER today, are you shit out of luck for the free stamp or will there be an opportunity to resubmit?

Asking for a friend.
View Quote

You will be able to re-submit via paper form.
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 10:44:17 AM EDT
[#4]
Man, good thing I saw this thread...
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 10:46:49 AM EDT
[#5]
The actual injunction reads that anything tantamount to a nation wide injunction is denied. It’s very clear.

Yet all anyone has to do is join FPC to be covered?  Anyone nation wide?  According to FPC that is…. Hmmm

Seems odd, but I don’t know anything and certainly am not a lawyer.

Either way, I hope FPC gets lots of donations. Good group.
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 10:56:41 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
The actual injunction reads that anything tantamount to a nation wide injunction is denied. It’s very clear.

Yet all anyone has to do is join FPC to be covered?  Anyone nation wide?  According to FPC that is…. Hmmm

View Quote

The issue I see is will they allow those holding onto hope with the FPC suit to register after the 31st if their suit fails? I'm sure the ATF will do all they can be difficult assholes to anyone in that position.
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 11:00:24 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

The issue I see is will they allow those holding onto hope with the FPC suit to register after the 31st if their suit fails? I'm sure the ATF will do all they can be difficult assholes to anyone in that position.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why would anyone do that? Those that would comply have done so for the most part.
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 11:05:03 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Those that would comply have done so for the most part.
View Quote
I'd be willing to bet that there are millions of brace-equipped pistol owners out there that have no idea this is going on.
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 11:15:49 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I'd be willing to bet that there are millions of brace-equipped pistol owners out there that have no idea this is going on.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You both basically said the same thing.

If even 10% of people who own a braced gun are aware of this I'd be amazed.
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 11:59:33 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

I know someone that doesn’t know about the bumpstocks. I wouldn’t even tell him cause he wouldn’t believe me.
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 12:24:12 PM EDT
[#11]
I got my form in yesterday, went through suprinsgly easily, I used openeft for my prints.

Had a bad taste the whole time but said oh well I want to get a suppressor anyway, that with I had more than 1 to do to take as much tax revenue from the ATF as I can.

Joined the FPC too for all the work they have done.
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 12:28:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Why would anyone do that? Those that would comply have done so for the most part.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm sure there are quite a few FPC members who think if it fails they could still comply and register.
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 12:29:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Didn't think of them and you are probably correct.
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 12:35:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Asking for a friend.
View Quote

Tell your friend there is no "free stamp." There is a tax-free, "conditional" registration. Depending on the reason for the rejection, you (or your) friend can resubmit.
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 12:43:36 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I'm sure there are quite a few FPC members who think if it fails they could still comply and register.
View Quote
They can but they'll have to pay the $200.
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 12:45:01 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And engrave
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 1:00:23 PM EDT
[#17]
Removing the brace off the pistol makes things kosher, right? I’m also a FPC member.
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 1:01:38 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Removing the brace off the pistol makes things kosher, right? I’m also a FPC member.
View Quote

Now they're saying remove and destroy, at least that's the latest I've heard.
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 1:06:57 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The ATF has flip flopped on this (shocking I know) but it makes zero sense that you have to destroy a brace if they are claiming that braces are (always were) stocks. If you have a rifle then you have a gun to legally use the brace on

Unless theyre going to try to defend in court the idea that you cannot have an AR pistol so long as you own a rifle with a removeable stock
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 1:58:14 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Removing the brace off the pistol makes things kosher, right? I'm also a FPC member.
View Quote

If you just remove the brace you could still be in legal jeopardy.

27. Can I possess a pistol and unattached "stabilizing brace"?
 An NFA firearm need not be assembled to be regulated as such. Whether a person may be in constructive possession of an NFA firearm depends on the facts of a particular case.

Quoted:

View Quote

They've always said remove and destroy.  I think the confusion came from the ATF Director's testimony at a Congressional hearing where he didn't know or failed to clearly articulate the compliance options and seemed to say the brace need not be destroyed.  If ATF issued a clarification on that point I haven't seen it.

4. What are the compliance options for an individual (non-licensee) in possession of a firearm equipped with a "stabilizing brace," which is a short-barreled rifle (SBR), after the effective date of the final rule?
 Submit through the eForms system an Application to Make and Register a Firearm, ATF Form 1 (E-Form 1) before May 31, 2023.
 Permanently remove or alter the "stabilizing brace" so that it cannot be reattached and thereby removing it from regulation as a "firearm" under the NFA.
 Remove the short barrel and attach a 16-inch or longer rifled barrel to the firearm thus removing it from the provisions of the NFA.
 Turn the firearm into your local ATF office.
 Destroy the firearm. For more information go to How to Properly Destroy Firearms | Bureau
of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (atf.gov).

Full ATF FAQ .

Link Posted: 5/31/2023 2:19:43 PM EDT
[#21]
FPC, if you donated your a member?
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 2:31:13 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
FPC, if you donated your a member?
View Quote

From their site

"LAS VEGAS, NV (May 30, 2023) — Today, Firearms Policy Coalition (FPC) issued a statement regarding membership:

On Sunday, May 28, 2023, the Board of Directors of Firearms Policy Coalition made a number of formal changes to the membership structure of the organization. First, the Board granted an Individual Membership to all individual monetary donors of FPC who have supported FPC’s activities through financial contribution(s) of twenty U.S. Dollars ($20) or more from June 1, 2022, through May 31, 2023, inclusive. Those memberships will have an effective date of June 1, 2022, and an expiration date of December 31, 2023, unless the Individual Member renews the granted membership on or before the end of 2023.

This granted membership will ensure that all individuals who supported the work of the organization in the period with a financial contribution of $20 or more are officially recognized by FPC as an Individual Member. FPC will update its membership records accordingly on or about June 1, 2023, and then send a message confirming the granted membership status to all such individuals by email as soon as possible. This one-time donor membership program will not affect the membership term of current FPC members."
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 2:33:40 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yep. Couple of us at work were talking about this the other day. Boss chimed in and said he has a braced pistol under his bed.

He was shocked when I told him about the atf ruling bullshit. He had no idea. He’s chosen not to comply.
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 2:57:31 PM EDT
[#24]
Donated. Member.
I’m not registering anything as a freebie. I have chosen not to play the game. Back to 16" barrel until this shit gets sorted out.

They are actually getting shit done so they deserve some financial help.

Link Posted: 5/31/2023 3:18:00 PM EDT
[#25]
Anyone tried to register using a trust?  Seems like they make it intentionally a PITA...
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 3:48:27 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Anyone tried to register using a trust?  Seems like they make it intentionally a PITA...
View Quote
Friend of mine did a few. He went out of his way to ensure his trust holding documents were notorized before Jan 31st.
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 4:07:52 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

There is a thread in tech.  Here
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 4:10:45 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

An NFA firearm need not be assembled to be regulated as such. Whether a person may be in constructive possession of an NFA firearm depends on the facts of a particular case.

They've always said remove and destroy.  I think the confusion came from the ATF Director's testimony at a Congressional hearing where he didn't know or failed to clearly articulate the compliance options and seemed to say the brace need not be destroyed.  If ATF issued a clarification on that point I haven't seen it.

4. What are the compliance options for an individual (non-licensee) in possession of a firearm equipped with a "stabilizing brace," which is a short-barreled rifle (SBR), after the effective date of the final rule?
 Submit through the eForms system an Application to Make and Register a Firearm, ATF Form 1 (E-Form 1) before May 31, 2023.
 Permanently remove or alter the "stabilizing brace" so that it cannot be reattached and thereby removing it from regulation as a "firearm" under the NFA.
 Remove the short barrel and attach a 16-inch or longer rifled barrel to the firearm thus removing it from the provisions of the NFA.
 Destroy the firearm. For more information go to How to Properly Destroy Firearms | Bureau

Full ATF FAQ .

View Quote

Having a spare takeoff brace is no different than destroying the brace but having spare takeoff stocks for other rifles. The above answer is disingenuous, and it is doubtful that the ATF would win a case like that in court.
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 4:11:25 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

Essentially yes.  Though if they are stored together, there is potential for awkwardness.

As to FPC, that's nice, but just note it's a temporary injunction so judge can have more time to assess.   It also doesn't extend the ATF forbarance window.  Neither the "free SBR" ("corrot"), nor the "braces were intended to be stocks as of June 1" (stick) are actually linked and dependant on the other.   The FPC injunction is a judicial temporary pause on the enforcement of that interpretation ("the stick"), and that's all.  (Corrot still goes away tomorrow, though who knows - ATF is motivated to get those numbers up, so not impossible they might proactively chose to extend it, though that will take an updated letter from USAG Garland, to whom has "The discretion" to offer the forebarance (not some ATF clerk); or the judge specifically stating he is using his judicial authority to extend it - which I think he can do, and probably won't be fought even if he cant - though don't bank on him doing that)

If your plan was to register if you have to, you basically have today to decide what you are going to do; regardless of FPC membership.  (Though good shit you joined - they are more active and effective than most).  If your plan was to alter, or to not-comply; then there you go; you are not to face enforcement action on an armbrace equiped firearm for the duration of the temporary injunction.  Regardless, I doubt anyone is going to come out of the blue to ask you about it now or in the near future either way. .. probably.
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 4:12:51 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Donated. Member.
I’m not registering anything as a freebie. I have chosen not to play the game. Back to 16" barrel until this shit gets sorted out.

They are actually getting shit done so they deserve some financial help.

View Quote

You're playing the game by switching to a 16" barrel. Totally your perogative, but you're playing.
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 4:21:38 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

Then there is no need to remove anything, you're good to go.
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 4:23:25 PM EDT
[#32]
I have a lower, purchased as "Other".  Built it in like 2019 or so with the intent of making it a pistol.  Have a blade style brace on the lower, but never purchased the upper.  

Never had an upper on it.  Just the lower and the brace blade.

I have no pistol uppers what so ever.  All my AR's have 16" or longer.

I am thinking I can remove the blade and just cut it up and be good.  Wonder if I should toss the pieces in a box in case I get questioned about it or if I can toss it in the fire pit...
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 4:25:39 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Full ATF FAQ .

View Quote

Same as anything SBR related.  You need a legal place to use the parts.   If you have an SBR or a rifle you have a legal item to use a brace on and can own as many as you want.

If you ONLY own an AR pistol, and remove the brace, they could potentially have a constructive possession case.
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 4:31:29 PM EDT
[#34]
JFC the ATF is so retarded.  Strike that, our government is retarded, and hates the good folks.

Can we just nuke them from orbit already?  Lets go back before all these arbitrary and capricious laws.
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 4:46:36 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Having a spare takeoff brace is no different than destroying the brace but having spare takeoff stocks for other rifles. The above answer is disingenuous, and it is doubtful that the ATF would win a case like that in court.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Full ATF FAQ .

I think that is correct, brace = stock.  But I think the implication is that ATF could (would?) also view having spare stocks and an unregistered pistol w/ barrel < 16" as constructive possession of an NFA firearm, depending "on the facts of a particular case."

Link Posted: 5/31/2023 4:48:25 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I have a lower, purchased as "Other".  Built it in like 2019 or so with the intent of making it a pistol. Have a blade style brace on the lower, but never purchased the upper.  
View Quote

Really does bring up "when was a stripped lower 'made' into a pistol"?

Example: I have been meaning to build a particular AR frame into a functional gun for years.

• I have a bare lower, sold to me as an "other" or "receiver only" in 2019.
• I have a SB brace, and a dated receipt from SB tactical showing I got the brace for it in 2020.
• I have a 12" upper and bolt in the same box. Got that also in 2020.
• I never did put any trigger/bolt catch/buffer tube/etc. into the lower.

ATF FAQ says

Q: "If my short-barreled rifle (SBR) is made after the date of publication of the final rule, can I still register it as an SBR for free during the tax forbearance period?"
A: "No. The registration options available to a possessor of such firearm applies to those possessed as of January 31, 2023"

I could see ATF in their current make-it-up-as-we-go claiming that pistol wasn't "possessed" prior to Jan 31, 2023 if it wasn't fully built up to be able to shoot. Sigh.
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 5:56:47 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Removing the brace off the pistol makes things kosher, right? I'm also a FPC member.
View Quote

View Quote
I thought that one cum guzzling ATF guy in front of congress said all you need to do is remove it.

That's changed?
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 7:01:34 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I thought that one cum guzzling ATF guy in front of congress said all you need to do is remove it.

That's changed?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's changed?

I'm pretty sure they said as much in this training presentation from a while back too, but without watching it again I don't have a time stamp.

ATF Brace Rule Training - 01/31/23
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 7:36:55 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Example: I have been meaning to build a particular AR frame into a functional gun for years.

• I have a SB brace, and a dated receipt from SB tactical showing I got the brace for it in 2020.

ATF FAQ says

Q: "If my short-barreled rifle (SBR) is made after the date of publication of the final rule, can I still register it as an SBR for free during the tax forbearance period?"
A: "No. The registration options available to a possessor of such firearm applies to those possessed as of January 31, 2023"

I could see ATF in their current make-it-up-as-we-go claiming that pistol wasn't "possessed" prior to Jan 31, 2023 if it wasn't fully built up to be able to shoot. Sigh.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have a lower, purchased as "Other".  Built it in like 2019 or so with the intent of making it a pistol. Have a blade style brace on the lower, but never purchased the upper.  

ATF FAQ says

Owning a receiver, barrel, and brace are all that it takes, they don't even have to be assembled. Constructive possession goes both ways.

Kharn
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 7:45:56 PM EDT
[#40]
Just stopping by to say I'm not complying. Come arrest me ATF.
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 8:18:27 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 8:32:32 PM EDT
[#42]
Reference numbers going up by 30 per minute right now...
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 8:54:05 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 8:55:07 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Reference numbers going up by 30 per minute right now...
View Quote

Serfs
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 8:59:39 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Owning a receiver, barrel, and brace are all that it takes, they don't even have to be assembled. Constructive possession goes both ways.

Kharn
View Quote

So here’s the rub. If you have other C3 Sbr’s how can they prove they are not spares for those. Sounds like it’s unenforceable in this situation
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 9:02:20 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

So here’s the rub. If you have other C3 Sbr’s how can they prove they are not spares for those. Sounds like it’s unenforceable in this situation
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Kharn

They're supposed to attempt to assemble everything into legal configurations, and then see if anything leftover makes illegal configurations.

I guess the outcome depends on how much shit you've bought from PSA on sale without paying attention to what you've got.

Kharn
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 9:03:16 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Serfs
View Quote

What’s the current value of 40 pieces of silver? Has to be more than $200…
Link Posted: 5/31/2023 9:06:27 PM EDT
[#48]
TX v ATF was granted an injunction, PDF at link
It is valid for the plaintiff named Brady Brown, GOA & Gun Owners Foundation, their current members and their resident family members, and individuals employed directly by the State of Texas or its agencies.

Kharn

Link Posted: 5/31/2023 9:08:05 PM EDT
[#49]
GOA announcement on their injunction..

GOA News

Link Posted: 5/31/2023 9:15:09 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote

Page / 160
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top