Site Notices
Page / 160
Link Posted: 6/7/2023 1:47:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

True but it shows the intent of Congress
View Quote
So,... more Kabuki Theater to use as a 2024- Infinity fundraising bait....
Link Posted: 6/7/2023 2:06:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
There is no way in hell they would give out member lists to those tyrants
View Quote
They will if there's a warrant for it, otherwise it would get seized (along with whatever contains that data).

Prior to that, the agent working the case will serve them with an order to preserve those records, and also a gag order to not disclose the ongoing investigation, under penalty of law, signed by a federal judge.

Some of you guys don't understand how data in the US works, when it comes to the feds.
Anyway, this is way "into the weeds" so to speak.

The reality is they're not going to care who's a member and who isn't.
We're all pretty much going to "ride the wave" on this issue, however it pans out in a 5-10 year timeframe. That's how case law works.
Link Posted: 6/7/2023 2:11:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
They will if there's a warrant for it, otherwise it would get seized (along with whatever contains that data).

Some of you guys don't understand how data in the US works, when it comes to the feds.
Anyway, this is way "into the weeds" so to speak.

The reality is they're not going to care who's a member and who isn't.
We're all pretty much going to "ride the wave" on this issue, however it pans out in a 5-10 year timeframe. That's how case law works.
View Quote

A member list is useless since it would not say who owns a brace or not, and this case will be heard in the merits in a few weeks anyway, so there is no need to go after such a list right now.  Plus, going after such a list would be tantamount to a list of "probable gun owners", which would be illegal (not that they care).
Link Posted: 6/7/2023 3:19:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

In a nutshell, that is very accurate.  Complete and total clusterfuck.  Only govt can mess stuff up this bad.  lol
View Quote

The simplest solution to this is to just take SBRs off the NFA registry. Problem solved. There's no reason for them to be regulated as such. They're only on the registry because of the government's failure to remove them when handguns were removed from the NFA registry (1934)  at the last minute.
Link Posted: 6/7/2023 3:23:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

The simplest solution to this is to just take SBRs off the NFA registry. Problem solved. There's no reason for them to be regulated as such. They're only on the registry because of the government's failure to remove them when handguns were removed from the NFA registry (1934)  at the last minute.
View Quote

I wish. SBR/SBS/AOW are some of the most pointless laws/taxes out there.
Link Posted: 6/7/2023 3:25:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
The simplest solution to this is to just take SBRs off the NFA registry. Problem solved.
View Quote
Why stop there?
Abolish the NFA.

Republicans would've already done something helpful if they actually cared.
Link Posted: 6/7/2023 3:27:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
A bill in congress means nothing.  Biden would never sign it and they do not have the votes to override a veto in the Senate.

This is only going to be resolved in the federal appeals courts.
View Quote

Exactly.  It's just pandering that will go nowhere.  We needed pro gun bills when Republicans had control of the house, senate and the Presidency.
Link Posted: 6/7/2023 4:15:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

This right here.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This right here.

The only intent is for fundraising, the bill would never see the light of day if R's controlled all three.
Link Posted: 6/7/2023 10:32:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 6/7/2023 10:37:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

The only intent is for fundraising, the bill would never see the light of day if R's controlled all three.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This right here.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/7/2023 10:41:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Exactly.  It's just pandering that will go nowhere.  We needed pro gun bills when Republicans had control of the house, senate and the Presidency.
View Quote

And when they did control all three last time around we got bump stocks and red flags, go figure...
Link Posted: 6/7/2023 10:42:35 PM EDT
[#12]

But was there mass non compliance? How many did comply by removing rehi brase od getting a longer barrel.? WEhave no way of knowing.

The real test would be massive open defiance protests. Thats the only true way to know. But we are a law abiding culture and they know it
Link Posted: 6/7/2023 11:06:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Why stop there?
Abolish the NFA   ATF

View Quote

FIFY
Link Posted: 6/8/2023 1:00:14 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 6/8/2023 1:42:27 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

FIFY
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Why stop there?
Abolish the NFA   ATF

FIFY

The only thing worse than the ATF would be abolishing them, and creating (or transferring their responsibilities to) another alphabet agency in todays political climate.
Link Posted: 6/8/2023 7:18:46 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

The only thing worse than the ATF would be abolishing them, and creating (or transferring their responsibilities to) another alphabet agency in todays political climate.
View Quote

If we're going down the pipe dream route hopefully the FBI and USDE are abolished at the same time.
Link Posted: 6/11/2023 5:20:22 PM EDT
[#17]
Has it been announced if the buffer tube with foam on the end is illegal on a pistol?
Link Posted: 6/11/2023 5:38:09 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Has it been announced if the buffer tube with foam on the end is illegal on a pistol?
View Quote

Shall Not Be Infringed
Link Posted: 6/12/2023 10:54:16 AM EDT
[#19]
Just got an NRAILA "urge lawmakers yada yada yada" email blast
Link Posted: 6/12/2023 11:12:52 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

It's definitely not definitely illegal.
Rifle specific sights/scope would make it technically illegal.

Practically, it's very, very unlikely to even get a second look considering everything else that's still going on and will be for years.
Link Posted: 6/12/2023 1:44:32 PM EDT
[#21]
Which one of you guys are “armed scholar” on you tube?
Link Posted: 6/12/2023 2:36:30 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
A bill in congress means nothing.  Biden would never sign it and they do not have the votes to override a veto in the Senate.

This is only going to be resolved in the federal appeals courts.

From what I understand it actually does not need the presidents signature because it deals with a rule change interpretation and not a new law, it just has to pass both houses.
Link Posted: 6/12/2023 2:50:11 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

From what I understand it actually does not need the presidents signature because it deals with a rule change interpretation and not a new law, it just has to pass both houses.
View Quote

It's not legislation but CRA still requires presidential signing(or override)
CRA is ENTIRELY about rule changes.

https://www.americanactionforum.org/insight/cra-tracker-congressional-review-act-in-the-117th-congress/
Link Posted: 6/12/2023 3:26:42 PM EDT
[#24]
The White House Addresses Bill To Overturn ATF Pistol Brace Rule
Link Posted: 6/12/2023 6:54:23 PM EDT
[#25]
On a side note the brace ban issue made me renew a while back with NAGR, FPC, GOA and SAF.

Today I was advised I won the giveaway for NAGR as a frontline defender (type of membership). So not only has it paid off with the injunction I won a Springfield M1A.
Link Posted: 6/12/2023 7:07:19 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

That dude needs to stop with the click bait hyperbole titles. He does have some good content. Gets a little far into the legal weeds.
Link Posted: 6/12/2023 7:08:29 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

That dude needs to stop with the click bait hyperbole titles. He does have some good content. Gets a little far into the legal weeds.
View Quote
Agreed. I was watching him for a while. I have not unsubscribed but just don't watch anymore.
Link Posted: 6/12/2023 7:40:25 PM EDT
[#28]
He isn't as bad as Texas Gun Vault.  He grinds my gears.
Link Posted: 6/12/2023 8:07:13 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
On a side note the brace ban issue made me renew a while back with NAGR, FPC, GOA and SAF.

Today I was advised I won the giveaway for NAGR as a frontline defender (type of membership). So not only has it paid off with the injunction I won a Springfield M1A.
View Quote

Thank you and congratulations!
Link Posted: 6/13/2023 12:48:42 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote

Very cool, congrats!
Link Posted: 6/13/2023 9:03:52 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 6/13/2023 10:49:32 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Absolutely. I blocked that fucker. He has a new video about twice a week with a clickbait title where he proceeds to talk about the same court cases and “if this happens or doesn’t happen.”

I figure he’s a member here.
Link Posted: 6/13/2023 6:05:28 PM EDT
[#33]
Attachment Attached File

Two Republicans — Reps. Thomas Kean Jr. (N.J.) and Brian Fitzpatrick (Pa.) — broke from the party and voted against the bill, while two Democrats, Reps. Jared Golden (Maine) and Mary Peltola (Alaska), supported the measure.
Link Posted: 6/13/2023 6:59:08 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/222048/05D4A79D-E0D7-4EC0-94A6-CCF7BB2B0EC3_png-2850457.JPG

Two Republicans — Reps. Thomas Kean Jr. (N.J.) and Brian Fitzpatrick (Pa.) — broke from the party and voted against the bill, while two Democrats, Reps. Jared Golden (Maine) and Mary Peltola (Alaska), supported the measure.
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/13/2023 7:22:38 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

Dude is pure fucking clickbait
Link Posted: 6/13/2023 8:37:41 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/222048/05D4A79D-E0D7-4EC0-94A6-CCF7BB2B0EC3_png-2850457.JPG

View Quote

Good to hear....now those in NJ and PA should remember that come voting time. Prolly wont but maybe.

I fear this was a show and wont go anywhere and those Republicans that so "fearlessly voted for this" did so knowing it does not have much life after this. Or am I missing a bigger picture?
Link Posted: 6/13/2023 8:44:06 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Good to hear....now those in NJ and PA should remember that come voting time. Prolly wont but maybe.

I fear this was a show and wont go anywhere and those Republicans that so "fearlessly voted for this" did so knowing it does not have much life after this. Or am I missing a bigger picture?
View Quote

Well, think back to when they vote to repeal Obama care like 50+ times from 2011-2016 when they had the house, but then in 2017 they had the house, senate, and presidency ........
Link Posted: 6/13/2023 8:50:18 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

I think getting the new House members on record for gun rights is the only benefit of this action.
Link Posted: 6/13/2023 8:58:18 PM EDT
[#39]
Attachment Attached File

@deanwormer
Yeah that didnt even occur to me but, You sho right bruh.....SMH
Link Posted: 6/13/2023 9:05:46 PM EDT
[#40]
Wife and I did just contact our Congressmen by email. Hope others will do the same and keep pressing the fight.
Link Posted: 6/13/2023 11:37:52 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think some people have mentioned it may help the lawsuits a bit. If Congress has said the ATF shouldnt have the authority, and Congress is who passes the laws for the ATF to enforce, there has to be some logic to say the ATF shouldnt have the force of law for this rule

Link Posted: 6/14/2023 9:46:10 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I think some people have mentioned it may help the lawsuits a bit. If Congress has said the ATF shouldnt have the authority, and Congress is who passes the laws for the ATF to enforce, there has to be some logic to say the ATF shouldnt have the force of law for this rule

View Quote

I gotcha, makes sense
Link Posted: 6/14/2023 11:20:45 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Practically, it's very, very unlikely to even get a second look considering everything else that's still going on and will be for years.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

On page 26 of the Factoring Criteria document they do mention a foam padded stabilizer tube.

One company in 2014 submitted a “Pistol Overmold Kit” with a “foam padded stabilizer tube” intended to accommodate a Glock-type pistol and requested a classification of the firearm to determine if it would be regulated under the NFA. The company likened its product to installing a receiver extension/buffer tube on an AR type pistol, a configuration that FATD had earlier decided was not a shoulder stock when installed on that type of firearm and did not result in a change of that pistol’s classification. However,FATD concluded that the “foam padded stabilizer tube” served “no legitimate, functional purpose other than to extend additional contact surface rearward” on Glock-type pistols and therefore would result in the manufacture of a “short-barreled rifle.”30

That section talks about a Glock and not an AR so there's that.  But, using their logic, the foam padding serves no functional purpose other than increasing the rearward contact area at the end of the buffer tube which has only one purpose, to shoulder the weapon. Thus, the weapon meets the design criteria of a rifle therefore it's an SBR.  

There's also a section that talks about "cheek welding"(pp 78-79) where they try to make the case that the user is within inches of shouldering the weapon.  In this section the pictures show people using braces as cheek rests and not foam padding.  

However, I'd agree with kzin that, practically, it's very unlikely to draw attention but we all have to make our own interpretation and choices.  

Just as with filing taxes, if you choose take a position on something you should be able to defend it.  

To me, the foam padding is enough of a grey area, pending further clarification about what criteria they'll be using to go after people who kept their pistols as pistols, that I removed mine.  YMMV.

Link Posted: 6/14/2023 11:24:43 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

On page 26 of the Factoring Criteria document they do mention a foam padded stabilizer tube.

That section talks about a Glock and not an AR so there's that.  But, using their logic, the foam padding serves no functional purpose other than increasing the rearward contact area at the end of the buffer tube which has only one purpose, to shoulder the weapon. Thus, the weapon meets the design criteria of a rifle therefore it's an SBR.  

There's also a section that talks about "cheek welding"(pp 78-79) where they try to make the case that the user is within inches of shouldering the weapon.  In this section the pictures show people using braces as cheek rests and not foam padding.  

However, I'd agree with kzin that, practically, it's very unlikely to draw attention but we all have to make our own interpretation and choices.  

Just as with filing taxes, if you choose take a position on something you should be able to defend it.  

To me, the foam padding is enough of a grey area, pending further clarification about what criteria they'll be using to go after people who kept their pistols as pistols, that I removed mine.  YMMV.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

One company in 2014 submitted a “Pistol Overmold Kit” with a “foam padded stabilizer tube” intended to accommodate a Glock-type pistol and requested a classification of the firearm to determine if it would be regulated under the NFA. The company likened its product to installing a receiver extension/buffer tube on an AR type pistol, a configuration that FATD had earlier decided was not a shoulder stock when installed on that type of firearm and did not result in a change of that pistol’s classification. However,FATD concluded that the “foam padded stabilizer tube” served “no legitimate, functional purpose other than to extend additional contact surface rearward” on Glock-type pistols and therefore would result in the manufacture of a “short-barreled rifle.”30

I'm trying to imagine the kind of person who owns one or two guns worrying about the minutiae like this.

The image just isn't forming.
Link Posted: 6/14/2023 3:43:20 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 6/14/2023 4:51:28 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

That was painful. My I did not know these ghost guns were automatic. I still haven’t even see a ghost gun, lol
Link Posted: 6/14/2023 4:57:43 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

That was painful. My I did not know these ghost guns were automatic. I still haven’t even see a ghost gun, lol
View Quote

Well, that last part makes sense at least. They're ghostly and all, probably pretty hard to see.
Link Posted: 6/14/2023 5:30:22 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote

Vintage Hasbro Toy "The Ghost Gun" (1974)

I had one growing up
Link Posted: 6/14/2023 6:45:53 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote

"You can buy a brace without a background check"
Link Posted: 6/14/2023 6:54:05 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote

None of this is necessary. Bruen happened a year ago. Can't wait for ANYONE to start heeding the decision. The entire nfa can be defeated based on bruen. I hope the backlash for the pushing of this bs goes that far, but I doubt it. We'll just get one painful thing at a time.
Page / 160
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top