User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 8
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 11:53:04 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yep. Look at how dangerous they are...

Here is a pie chart of the fatal dog attacks on humans in the US since Jan 1 2008https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/261993/dbrf-20130525_jpg-724214.JPG
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Huskys are considered a dangerous dog also.

Here is a pie chart of the fatal dog attacks on humans in the US since Jan 1 2008https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/261993/dbrf-20130525_jpg-724214.JPG
Per capita is a more useful measure, but even total number is instructive in showing what the *actual* not theoretical problem is.  Per capita estimates are only slightly more evenly weighted among breeds, however.
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 11:56:51 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Pitbull owners are the dumbest people on the planet.
View Quote
People who paint with a broad brush are the dumbest people on the planet.
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 11:57:44 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Serious question for those wanting to end the group of breeds collectively referred to as ‘pit bulls’: which large, potentially aggressive breed would you like to see replace them as the demon dog du jour?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Jesus, when are we going to end that fucking breed?  Useless fucking animals
Serious question for those wanting to end the group of breeds collectively referred to as ‘pit bulls’: which large, potentially aggressive breed would you like to see replace them as the demon dog du jour?
Miniature Poodle?

I can launch those little bastards.

Harder to do with a Pitbull.
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 12:02:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Miniature Poodle?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Miniature Poodle?

Neither large nor intimidating in appearance.

This isn’t a “why won’t they just get something cute and mostly harmless” thought exercise.

This is asking you to pick the next badass dog breed they fixate on. Remember the characteristics they’ll choose. Of all the breeds out there with the characteristics they want (that they haven’t already gone through), the pit is the most benign.
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 12:02:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Just doing what their owners want them to do

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wqp9uFGKK-M
View Quote
Good boy!

Seriously though, any dog that does that, regardless of breed, needs to be put down stat.
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 12:03:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Per capita is a more useful measure, but even total number is instructive in showing what the *actual* not theoretical problem is.  Per capita estimates are only slightly more evenly weighted among breeds, however.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fair enough. When taken into account the per capita data it looks even worse.

"39 U.S. dog bite-related fatalities occurred in 2017. Despite being regulated in Military Housing areas and over 900 U.S. cities, pit bulls contributed to 74% (29) of these deaths. Pit bulls make up about 6.5% of the total U.S. dog population."
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 12:05:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Husky owner was awful gentle.

There'd be an injured pit bull if that was my puppy being chewed on.
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 12:09:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
A good owner accounts for the characteristics of their dog and acts appropriately to manage those characteristics so that the dog is never a problem. For instance, a good sighthound owner understands that their dog has the propensity to take off after other animals, chase them down, and kill them. That means the owner doesn’t walk them off leash, doesn’t let them play in unfenced areas, and exercises caution when cats and small dogs are around.

That being said, it takes about 7 generations of intentional breeding to create a new “breed” with an appearance and temperament that breeds true. Likewise, generation upon generation of indiscriminate breeding erases the reliability that those traits breed true. Most “pit” mutts come from a whole tree of indiscriminate breeding with no thought to appearance or proper temperament, and that shows itself as well. Some will show gameness, some will not. Some will be 30ish lbs, some will be closer to 70ish. Some are almost brachycephalic, and others have long, snipy muzzles. Some are low slung and others are leggy. And within that muttly mix, there are also several real breeds included, each with their own particular physical characteristics and proper temperaments. There is no universal trait that “pit breeds” are going to show.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Now that said about a poodle, much of the same could be said of Pitbulls.  It's all how the owner treats and trains the dog. If I see flatbill hats, bad quality tats, cars parked in the front yard along with the owner telling me the Springfield XD is a great gun, I know theres a Pitbull around there who could be a problem.  Or, it could be like my friends Pitbull that is trained and well cared for, that I know isn't a problem.
Disagree

Certain breeds have certain personality traits that they have been bred for and will usually demonstrate regardless of how they are raised.

Pit breeds are going to show the aggressiveness and ability to physically damage prey that they have been bred for, regardless of how they have been raised.
A good owner accounts for the characteristics of their dog and acts appropriately to manage those characteristics so that the dog is never a problem. For instance, a good sighthound owner understands that their dog has the propensity to take off after other animals, chase them down, and kill them. That means the owner doesn’t walk them off leash, doesn’t let them play in unfenced areas, and exercises caution when cats and small dogs are around.

That being said, it takes about 7 generations of intentional breeding to create a new “breed” with an appearance and temperament that breeds true. Likewise, generation upon generation of indiscriminate breeding erases the reliability that those traits breed true. Most “pit” mutts come from a whole tree of indiscriminate breeding with no thought to appearance or proper temperament, and that shows itself as well. Some will show gameness, some will not. Some will be 30ish lbs, some will be closer to 70ish. Some are almost brachycephalic, and others have long, snipy muzzles. Some are low slung and others are leggy. And within that muttly mix, there are also several real breeds included, each with their own particular physical characteristics and proper temperaments. There is no universal trait that “pit breeds” are going to show.
You just said that many pit owners select tough, strong, aggressive dogs; there's your "appearance and proper temperament."  Even if you don't think those are the 'correct' selection criteria to define the breed, that's what the owners crave, and have achieved.  Sorry, size, height, muzzle shape, coloration...not of that shit matters to people who want guard dogs.  Strong jaws/muscles and aggressive personality are the two factors I always see pit owners bragging about on their mutts...when they aren't cooing over how sweet & gentle they are.  Why, it's almost as if that bipolar psycho-switch trait is also something that owners are selecting for (nice mellow dog that is also aggressive when excited)
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 12:12:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Well bred Pit.  Displays all the characteristics of the breed.  Probably should have gotten best in show.
View Quote
This
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 12:13:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

"39 U.S. dog bite-related fatalities occurred in 2017. Despite being regulated in Military Housing areas and over 900 U.S. cities, pit bulls contributed to 74% (29) of these deaths. Pit bulls make up about 6.5% of the total U.S. dog population."
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, the "it's not a true breed" people do have a point to make, that lots of dogs are more hound than Boxer, yet may still resemble one & get lumped in.  Pits are one of/the most common out there, after all.  But the point is that, even with the most generous measurement that isn't straight disingenuous (such as putting ALL mixed breeds in a single category NOT labeled 'Pitbulls' to hide them) that breed is ALWAYS overwhelmingly problematic.

Which should not be a surprise, since as Namaah said, these owners often as not want problem dogs in the first place.  Combination conscious choice & self-fulfilling prophecy; nature AND nurture, working together to breed nastier & more vicious animals.
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 12:15:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I love my pitbull.  She is the best dog I have ever seen, loyal smart well behaved.

Most people who hate pitbulls have never owned one, just like most people who hate guns.
View Quote
My mom said the same thing until it bit her thumb almost completely off.  Now its a dead pitbull.
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 12:18:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 12:20:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Pitbull owners are the dumbest people on the planet.
Sometimes broad brushes get the barn painted.
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 12:25:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote
"I support the second amendment,  but nobody needs a weapon of war"
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 12:29:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I've never had cancer either, but I'm pretty sure I'd hate it.
View Quote
I peed a little
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 12:34:08 PM EDT
[#16]
In for DNA check and/or neglectful owners.  
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 12:37:36 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Im suprized Akitas are so far down the list
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 12:46:06 PM EDT
[#18]
Shocked, I mean absolutely shocked at this rare and unusual behavior

I can't wait to have a fenced yard again. Have to walk my dog on a leash for the moment and after the first encounter with a couple dogs that "got loose" I've made it a point to carry a weapon.
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 12:47:59 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Chow; the breed most likely to turn on its owner, specifically.
View Quote
Really?
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 12:56:17 PM EDT
[#20]
Did I make it in before @Naamah comes here and tells us Pitts are the greatest dogs in the world ??
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 12:59:36 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Love my pit as well
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I love my pitbull.  She is the best dog I have ever seen, loyal smart well behaved.

Most people who hate pitbulls have never owned one, just like most people who hate guns.
Love my pit as well
Best round for your bop ??
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 1:02:46 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
This x100.

You do not love dogs if you think a pit is a good dog.

Why do all these busybodies spend SO much time worrying about the dogs that other people choose to own?
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 1:04:45 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Why do all these busybodies spend SO much time worrying about the dogs that other people choose to own?
View Quote
They ran out of other things to clutch their pearls and wring their hands about. Must be nice to have things that easy.
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 1:05:28 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Love my pit as well
Asking what round would be best to kill another board member's dog?

No shit?

That's unfortunate.
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 1:07:20 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Your GSD has dog aggression? But its the pitbulls fault?

You said a lot of words but I fail to read about a bad pit in your post, only a dog aggressive GSD
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
A former employee of mine was let go, partly due to his inability to control his damn dog, or leave the fucking thing at home. I have my dogs at my shop, because it's my fucking shop. I told him on multiple occasions that my GSD does not like other males in his area, and definitely doesnt like pitbulls. I think it's because around here they are the ones always getting aggressive at dog parks, and being the resident overwatch, my boy doesnt like anyone getting too rowdy.

I told him to leave the dog at home multiple times, but then, wtf does he do? Shows up with him anyway.

The dog is a fucking tank, and literally tackles people when he's excited, using his mouth and all to play bite, etc. That dog is going to hurt someone or get shot for his bullshit, all the while the owner is going to be in the background saying "staaahp" softly with no real influence over what the dog wants to do.
Your GSD has dog aggression? But its the pitbulls fault?

You said a lot of words but I fail to read about a bad pit in your post, only a dog aggressive GSD
Boiled down, his shop, his rules.
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 1:09:26 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
This x100.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This x100.

Woman I'm seeing is a dog lover.  We stayed at her friends "trailer" by the lake this summer.  They had two pits.  I have to admit they were very well behaved dogs.  I still kept an eye on them the whole time.

Fast forward to a few weeks ago.  Someone came visiting who owned a female that was in season.  Both dogs got into it trying to leg fuck this dude.  Someone tried to break them up.  Two people ended up with stitches and I believe on got fucked up really good...

Yup quality animals...  Stereo types exist for a reason.  
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 1:09:58 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Well bred Pit.  Displays all the characteristics of the breed.  Probably should have gotten best in show.
View Quote
What you did there...
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 1:10:53 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

No shit?

That's unfortunate.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Love my pit as well

No shit?

That's unfortunate.
Sorry , did I trigger you with a micro aggression ? Do you need a safe space and a cookie ?

Let me fix this for you,  what's best round for ALL bop dogs ???

Feel better now?
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 1:13:04 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Neither large nor intimidating in appearance.

This isn’t a “why won’t they just get something cute and mostly harmless” thought exercise.

This is asking you to pick the next badass dog breed they fixate on. Remember the characteristics they’ll choose. Of all the breeds out there with the characteristics they want (that they haven’t already gone through), the pit is the most benign.
View Quote
Yeah, yeah, I know. Ghetto's going to ghetto.

It was mostly a smart ass statement, anyways. We all know there's small likelihood of the preferred choice in dogs for ghetto goblins changing anytime soon.

It WOULD be nice of they chose something that doesn't look like a miniature bull and had consummate strength. Something I could beat to death easier, if one latches onto me.
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 1:13:09 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote
Jack Russell?  LOL
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 1:15:53 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Sorry , did I trigger you with a micro aggression ? Do you need a safe space and a cookie ?

Feel better now?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Love my pit as well

No shit?

That's unfortunate.

Feel better now?
Not triggered in the least, just amused by how emotional you all get about other people's dogs.

Is your desire to kill ALL of these dogs because of hatred or fear?

It's hilarious.
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 1:18:04 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Jack Russell?  LOL
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Jack Russell?  LOL
Whadya bet the victim was a baby?
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 1:32:36 PM EDT
[#33]
Just shoot it.
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 1:35:23 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
They ran out of other things to clutch their pearls and wring their hands about. Must be nice to have things that easy.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nobody would give a shit if you lived secluded out in the middle of nowhere and kept your BOP there. But all too often the owners decide to mix it up with the rest of society with disastrous results.

For the crowd that compares guns to dogs:

Imagine a powerful handgun that would periodically, spontaneously, and unpredictably go off on its own.
Would you care if I lived alone in the woods with such a weapon? I doubt it. Now what if I lived in your town and frequently walked around local parks with the thing in a shoulder holster? Would that concern you a little?
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 1:40:03 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Nobody would give a shit if you lived secluded out in the middle of nowhere and kept your BOP there. But all too often the owners decide to mix it up with the rest of society with disastrous results.

Imagine a powerful handgun that would periodically, spontaneously, and unpredictably go off on its own.
Would you care if I lived alone in the woods with such a weapon? I doubt it. Now what if I lived in your town and frequently walked around local parks with the thing in a shoulder holster? Would that concern you a little?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No one realistically compares guns to dogs. They compare gun owners to dogs, in that you can never tell which owner is peaceful and which is malevolent and which is just waiting for the switch to be flipped. Since they can’t just ban people, they choose to focus on taking away the weapon instead. Those same folks would gladly ban the people too, and probably gleefully agree they need put down, but that’s not exactly legal. So yeah, same sort of mentality.
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 1:40:23 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

For the crowd that compares guns to dogs...
View Quote
Comparing guns to dogs?  That's dumb.

The appropriate comparison the almost identical, fear based, overly emotional rhetoric used by those who are anti-gun and those who are anti-pitbull.
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 1:43:37 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hands down the most relevant, accurate, and creative retort I have ever seen about pitbulls. Bravo sir.
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 1:48:24 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Hands down the most relevant, accurate, and creative retort I have ever seen about pitbulls. Bravo sir.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
No one needs to own one.  Ban them all.  Do it for the children!
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 1:48:53 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote
What about a taste for toddlers?

It's also important to point out that strong nerves on a dog are very important, because it helps predict behavior. A scared, insecure, weak nerved dog is unpredictable. When you take nitwits who see "aggression" as a unilaterally good trait for breeding as some peat boo breeders do, one can assume they have not put forth the effort to determine the cause of that aggression. Is it dominance based aggression, or fear based? Who knows, all we know is that "Deezul bit that ma'facka and that shit tyte yo, he a guard dog".
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 2:05:12 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I thought you just said comparing dogs to guns was dumb.
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 2:08:50 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
No one realistically compares guns to dogs. They compare gun owners to dogs, in that you can never tell which owner is peaceful and which is malevolent and which is just waiting for the switch to be flipped. Since they can’t just ban people, they choose to focus on taking away the weapon instead. Those same folks would gladly ban the people too, and probably gleefully agree they need put down, but that’s not exactly legal. So yeah, same sort of mentality.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Are you comfortable with that comparison? Dogs to people?
You oughta practice playing devil's advocate to that line of logic and see if you can point out a few flaws in it. Why might that not be a valid comparison?
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 2:10:36 PM EDT
[#42]
"I don't like that dangerous thing so it shouldn't exist.  Or at least nobody should have it."

lol from a gun board of all places.
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 2:10:55 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm obviously not comparing dogs to guns.

I'm comparing emotion-fueled rhetoric.
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 2:11:48 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
You oughta practice playing devil's advocate to that line of logic and see if you can point out a few flaws in it. Why might that not be a valid comparison?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

In terms of the reasoning behind “ban the things”, which is purely emotional and inherently unreasonable, there is no difference. It’s all hysterical, illogical nonsense.
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 2:13:14 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Really?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Chow; the breed most likely to turn on its owner, specifically.
Really?
There's a reason why owners eat those things.
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 2:35:37 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
In terms of the reasoning behind “ban the things”, which is purely emotional and inherently unreasonable, there is no difference. It’s all hysterical, illogical nonsense.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is dog bite fatalities from 2016.

Attachment Attached File

This is all fatal dog attacks since 2008.
Attachment Attached File

One of these things is not like the other. This isn't emotional, hysterical, illogical nonsense. It's hard data. It's fact. Pitbull appologists don't think statistics be like they do, but it is.
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 2:41:13 PM EDT
[#47]
Why would you bring a pitbull to a dog show? Like bringing a POS jalopy to a car show.

Feed the pit to the big cats at the zoo. They would love a noisy chew toy teach a lesson.
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 2:45:49 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/261993/Screenshot_20181101-133033_Photos_jpg-724404.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/261993/dbrf-20130525_jpg-724405.JPG

One of these things is not like the other. This isn't emotional, hysterical, illogical nonsense. It's hard data. It's fact. Pitbull appologists don't think statistics be like they do, but it is.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/261993/Screenshot_20181101-133033_Photos_jpg-724404.JPG

Using statistics and hard data to justify an emotional argument doesn't change the fact that it is an emotional argument.

Do YOU support banning or killing all pitbulls?

Do those statistics support the idea of a ban of all pitbulls?    Or that they should all be killed?

If not, then they are irrelevant to the discussion.

I frankly do not care if some stranger's dogs bite other strangers or other dogs.
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 2:49:45 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Except they’re including mutts in the numbers and basing things on media articles, which aren’t particularly accurate. So no, that’s not anything close to “hard data”.

And it still is a very, very low number, given the overall population of dogs, pit bull type dogs, etc. It’s a non-issue, like the handwringing over deaths perpetrated with those evil “assault weapons”, which are also very few and statistically irrelevant in the grand scheme of things.

Hysteria. Plain and simple.
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 2:50:13 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Why would you bring a pitbull to a dog show? Like bringing a POS jalopy to a car show.

Feed the pit to the big cats at the zoo. They would love a noisy chew toy teach a lesson.
View Quote
I'd pay good money to see that.

Dumb ass Pits would probably think they are winning even after kitty starts dismembering them...
Page / 8
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top