User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 17
Link Posted: 1/6/2024 11:22:43 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

Someone probably just got their dad fired.
Link Posted: 1/6/2024 11:25:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

View Quote

Nothing controversial in that statement
Link Posted: 1/6/2024 11:25:33 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Yeah, I was picturing a small window, like the one that failed on the plane they had been using for a movie prop.

That looks like an entire DOOR is missing!
View Quote

Well, there was a window in that door, so not entirely wrong. But yeah, I would've shat my pants if I was in that row. Or the one behind it, or in front of.. etc. etc.
Link Posted: 1/6/2024 11:31:54 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Video from in flight

View Quote

Wind noise wasn't as bad as expected. But you know some Karyn in first class was asking a flight attendant if they could do anything about the noise.
Link Posted: 1/6/2024 11:33:10 AM EDT
[#5]
older dudes might remember this worse one

Aloha Airlines

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aloha_Airlines_Flight_243

Link Posted: 1/6/2024 11:33:28 AM EDT
[#6]
That's not a door, is it?  They don't put doors up against seats.
Link Posted: 1/6/2024 11:36:03 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

Someone’s dad is getting fired.

Also, Boeing fucks up again
Link Posted: 1/6/2024 11:37:52 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The son just named his father's employer as being involved, then claims that Alaska probably removed the part to rearrange seating and fucked up.  Boeing's design, Alaska merely accepts the product, his dad's employer did the actual manufacturing and is going to get investigated for defects and maybe for installation errors.

Not only that, but it sounds like the kid and dad were talking about an actual door, not the plug that was installed -- so the dad's employer might NOT have been involved at all, if the plugs are made by a different company.

And regardless, aiming attention at the employer at the start of an investigation, when it's not even known if it was the right part, well, good luck on Monday.

Edit: actually opening up the first tweet to see the tail end of it, the kid is definitely talking about a plug (and terrorists!), so I don't know why in the third tweet he says the father thinks someone opened the "door" and "didn't shut that door right."
Link Posted: 1/6/2024 11:39:32 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Bet that was incredibly cold.
View Quote

If I were in one of those seats, I would undoubtedly be sitting next to a massive land whale. They would block the wind for me.  And if we crashed, I'd have a supply of blubber.
Link Posted: 1/6/2024 11:39:53 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

Man I hope not. I was going to dump my stock right before the holidays and still haven't gotten around to it.

Link Posted: 1/6/2024 11:40:50 AM EDT
[#11]
I buckle up when I board and unbuckle when we get to the arrival gate. Unbuckle to go take a P but that's it.  Turbulence car f u up too
Link Posted: 1/6/2024 11:46:12 AM EDT
[#12]

Not surprised. As with most other things, they don't build 'em like they used to... yellingatclouds.gif was it made in China by some poor CCP slave too?
Link Posted: 1/6/2024 11:46:42 AM EDT
[#13]
If that happened at cruise altitude, burrrrrrrr
Link Posted: 1/6/2024 11:49:01 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Translation: "I built it, but it definitely wasn't *my* fault!!!"

If I were that guy's dad, I'd be worried about my job on Monday morning.  Not really a good look to be bringing up my employer in relation to something this attention-grabbing.
View Quote

I'd be more worried about posting it on the innerwebz. I also like how the "kid" states that his dad said its a plug, but later says "dad said someone didn't close the door correctly". Probably just some edgelord looking for his 15 min of fame.
Link Posted: 1/6/2024 11:50:00 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Re Door Plug ….

The international MAX variants (mostly Asia) have high density seating that necessitate another exit door.  For jets in the US, they install a “plug” in that space.
View Quote

QA/QC gonna be up some assholes with a camera Monday morning.

Kharn
Link Posted: 1/6/2024 11:51:54 AM EDT
[#16]
Pilot after hearing the bang:
Link Posted: 1/6/2024 11:52:34 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
If that happened at cruise altitude, burrrrrrrr
View Quote

Think it said 16k, cold enough. Probably loud too. I guess the initial "pop" probably made everyone half deaf.

I was inside a pressurized aircraft once when it was inadvertently depressurized and it was unpleasant, that was just testing, sitting on the ground.
Link Posted: 1/6/2024 11:53:00 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 1/6/2024 11:55:36 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
It appears that the bags on the O2 masks indeed did not inflate.
View Quote

They don’t inflate.
Link Posted: 1/6/2024 11:55:46 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Man I hope not. I was going to dump my stock right before the holidays and still haven't gotten around to it.

View Quote

A while I hope not either, given Boeing’s track record there’s no way in hell I would bet on them not being responsible.
Link Posted: 1/6/2024 11:58:51 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/227964/Delta_Airlines_Boeing_737-900ER_K65993-3-3083523.JPG

That "hole" matches up rather suspiciously with the emergency exit towards the tail. The one about 9 windows back from the wing.
View Quote

Sign says seat 26.

Link Posted: 1/6/2024 12:03:16 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

A while I hope not either, given Boeing’s track record there’s no way in hell I would bet on them not being responsible.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah

I rode that shit down from ~450 so I deserve what I get I guess. Hard to say with this one though. I have no idea where these things get outfitted. I've dealt with the older generation 737 derivatives for about 5 mins, and have worked at completion center. It the poster on page 3 is correct, the doors were outsourced to Taiwan and Boeing is responsible even if it's a manufacturing issue. Some dumbass forgot to bolt an engine on to a 737 once before though so who knows at this point. I do doubt it's a design issue unless the newer ones have something unique going on with their doors.
Link Posted: 1/6/2024 12:03:29 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I have no idea.  But, this is a mid-cabin emergency exit (a bit different from the wing exits) and while it should have in-flight lockout mechanisms, it is  most certainly not "deactivated" in flights with passengers aboard.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What is a "plug door" and why are they deactivated for pax jets?

I have no idea.  But, this is a mid-cabin emergency exit (a bit different from the wing exits) and while it should have in-flight lockout mechanisms, it is  most certainly not "deactivated" in flights with passengers aboard.

All doors are plug type, they have to rotate inward in order to open and then swing out. There are no inflight lockout mechanisms. It is a manual lock, the only thing that keeps that manual lock from being unlocked and the door opened in flight is positive PS differential.

ETA. I see this was a plug for a door, not a door.
Link Posted: 1/6/2024 12:04:49 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Yeah, I was picturing a small window, like the one that failed on the plane they had been using for a movie prop.

That looks like an entire DOOR is missing!
View Quote
I think it is a plugged door.

Airframe is modular. The door structure is built in and plugged if not needed due to passenger capacity of a particular aircraft.

Needed better plugging.
Link Posted: 1/6/2024 12:05:10 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
When Trump is elected, I'll bet one of his first stops will be cancellation of the new VC-25's.

That will make me grin.

View Quote

It's really starting to sound like he'd be doing everyone a favor, maybe even boeing.
Link Posted: 1/6/2024 12:08:12 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Two month old 737 Max-9.  This doesn’t look good for Boeing and if the investigation uncovers a design problem that’ll ground the fleet, again.

Look for other carriers to ground theirs for a detailed inspection, as soon as tonight.  Going to be a few delayed flights tomorrow.
View Quote

Did they outsource the door plugs to India?
Link Posted: 1/6/2024 12:12:24 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Keeping your seatbelt fastened while in flight is usually a good idea.
View Quote

I didn't realize it is common for people to unbuckle during the flight. Granted, I have an extreme unreasonable fear of flying, but I always thought the seatbelt sign lets you know when you are able to get up to go to the bathroom. People are out there riding on planes unbuckled?
Link Posted: 1/6/2024 12:19:46 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 1/6/2024 12:20:00 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

When something this big happens it’s a great time to STFU and let lawyers do what they get paid to do. No need to highlight yourself or the company you work for even if you think it’s innocent and makes the company look good.
Link Posted: 1/6/2024 12:51:26 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

In the old days I would say the strength guy's analysis is, "The new door is the same as the old door.  The door installation is identical. The new loads are the same as the old loads.  Demonstrated adequate in service.  MS > +0."

Now I wouldn't bet much that anyone in Seattle could find the analysis or bother reading through to see what came before.

View Quote

Yeah. I can't say much since I have lost all of my original analysis at this point. "You don't need that stuff, it's ugly and takes up too much room. Here are a couple of fresh out of school guys to help you recreate it whenever you need". I need to find a new occupation because this industry is fucked.
Link Posted: 1/6/2024 12:54:09 PM EDT
[#31]
When the fuselages are delivered (by rail) to Boeing they are already assigned to the airline that has been waiting (months, years) for that aircraft, so in this case that piece of structure is in place. So, firstly, yes it was installed and inspected/signed off by QC in Wichita. When the hull enters the factory in Renton it's nothing but a hollow shell. There are no walls, no seats, nothing... All the electrics, hydraulics and fittings are installed in a series of "flow days" as the plane is pulled through the factory. Both the vertical and horizontal stabilizers, the wings and the landing gear are bolted into place (the wings are the only major structure still made on site, the stabs are either Korean or Chinese, and I don't know who makes the gear).

The flow days have pre-assigned "packages" of work, and dedicated teams of union workers who accomplish them. They also have QC inspectors who sign off on all the work that gets done. But...sometimes parts are late, or worse yet get damaged. There's a ton of drilling that gets done, and sometimes that does damage, too. When that happens the problem goes to an engineer for disposition. Meanwhile the fuselage is continuing to move down the line - because NOTHING stops the line, if you want to keep your job - meaning other structure and/or components may get laid in over top of the missing component or damaged area.

The problems are carefully tracked...they "belong" to the manager of the flow day responsible for that installation. At some point he has to coordinate the removal and reinstallation of any overlaying or interfering stuff so his guys can get in there and install the part or fix the damage. First level line production manager is pure hell. One of the VPs came to a professional development day for new hire managers and flat out said, (para) "I understand the pressure you're under. It's widely regarded as the worst job in Boeing." No kidding, sir.

Once in a great while fuselage damage gets done. Say, just as an example, someone drives a man-lift into the side of the fuselage and does shell damage. Spirit isn't involved, that's purely on Boeing, and they have a team that fixes stuff like that. Anyway...that opens the door (sorry) for that plug to have been removed and reinstalled at some point on the line. Meaning two possible points of failure, at either Spirit or Boeing. The wall is in place long before delivery to Alaska, and I can't imagine any scenario where they'd remove that plug. Doesn't mean it couldn't of happened, but the odds are very, very small.

Bottom line is we need to withhold judgment until the investigation is done. Stress fractures can be pretty much invisible until they're put under pressure and the component or its mounting fails. Boeing or Spirit...it's an insanely complex build, and I can easily see this going either way.
Link Posted: 1/6/2024 1:04:48 PM EDT
[#32]
Yep.  Lost just one person IRC; a stewardess.  They never found her.  
Link Posted: 1/6/2024 1:06:12 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Pilot after hearing the bang:
https://i.imgur.com/TdgSEXi.png
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/6/2024 1:11:02 PM EDT
[#34]
On a 737.

Link Posted: 1/6/2024 1:12:27 PM EDT
[#35]
<--- In the business...

Link Posted: 1/6/2024 1:23:15 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
When Trump is elected, I'll bet one of his first stops will be cancellation of the new VC-25's.

That will make me grin.

View Quote

Those beautiful new VC-25’s he negotiated for?
Link Posted: 1/6/2024 1:42:48 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I'm expecting United to ground its fleet today, I'd be shocked if they don't.
View Quote

United Airlines to ground Boeing 737 Max 9 planes after panel blew off Alaska Air flight

https://www.cnbc.com/2024/01/06/boeing-737-max-9-grounding-after-alaska-airlines-door-blows-midflight.html
Link Posted: 1/6/2024 1:50:41 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 1/6/2024 1:57:27 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Edit: actually opening up the first tweet to see the tail end of it, the kid is definitely talking about a plug (and terrorists!), so I don't know why in the third tweet he says the father thinks someone opened the "door" and "didn't shut that door right."
View Quote
I think he's saying that Alaska Airlines removed the plug to facilitate seat install / re-arrangement and then re-installed it wrong. (Not sure why you couldn't do this through the larger regular doors.)

My bet is that plug did not get removed by Alaska Airlines ever.
Link Posted: 1/6/2024 1:59:32 PM EDT
[#40]
Yikes
Link Posted: 1/6/2024 2:03:23 PM EDT
[#41]
It’s official now.

Link Posted: 1/6/2024 2:04:55 PM EDT
[#42]
That would suck.
Link Posted: 1/6/2024 2:28:43 PM EDT
[#43]
I've seen those green fuselages booking through Kansas on the choo-choo.

Also had a 727 L1 door try and take my leg off.
Link Posted: 1/6/2024 2:32:34 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I've seen those green fuselages booking through Kansas on the choo-choo.

Also had a 727 L1 door try and take my leg off.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/6/2024 2:35:57 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

The son just named his father's employer as being involved, then claims that Alaska probably removed the part to rearrange seating and fucked up.  Boeing's design, Alaska merely accepts the product, his dad's employer did the actual manufacturing and is going to get investigated for defects and maybe for installation errors.

Not only that, but it sounds like the kid and dad were talking about an actual door, not the plug that was installed -- so the dad's employer might NOT have been involved at all, if the plugs are made by a different company.

And regardless, aiming attention at the employer at the start of an investigation, when it's not even known if it was the right part, well, good luck on Monday.

View Quote

The doors, plug or real, are installed at Spirit/Wichita prior to being shipped to Boeing Renton.
Link Posted: 1/6/2024 2:37:30 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
“Sir, you must remain in your seat until we land!!”
View Quote

Or the seat lands - whichever comes first.
Link Posted: 1/6/2024 2:43:58 PM EDT
[#47]
I'd crapped myself if i had been sitting there. Even one seat over.
Link Posted: 1/6/2024 2:45:27 PM EDT
[#48]
Alaska 1282 Portland 737-9 MAX Door Plug Failure 5 January 2024
Link Posted: 1/6/2024 2:58:51 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

The flow days have pre-assigned "packages" of work, and dedicated teams of union workers who accomplish them. They also have QC inspectors who sign off on all the work that gets done.

View Quote

Look for, ... the UN-ION label ... (if and when the door is found ...)
Link Posted: 1/6/2024 2:59:21 PM EDT
[#50]
Boeing needs more gay black women DEI employees to fix this.

Put a chick in it, make her gay. Problem solved.
Page / 17
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top