Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 17
Link Posted: 1/6/2024 3:06:45 PM EDT
[#1]
You just know that this was someone's first flight on that plane.  Doubt they fly again now.
Link Posted: 1/6/2024 3:14:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/6/2024 3:21:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

All doors are plug type, they have to rotate inward in order to open and then swing out. There are no inflight lockout mechanisms. It is a manual lock, the only thing that keeps that manual lock from being unlocked and the door opened in flight is positive PS differential.

ETA. I see this was a plug for a door, not a door.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
What is a "plug door" and why are they deactivated for pax jets?

I have no idea.  But, this is a mid-cabin emergency exit (a bit different from the wing exits) and while it should have in-flight lockout mechanisms, it is  most certainly not "deactivated" in flights with passengers aboard.

All doors are plug type, they have to rotate inward in order to open and then swing out. There are no inflight lockout mechanisms. It is a manual lock, the only thing that keeps that manual lock from being unlocked and the door opened in flight is positive PS differential.

On the over wing doors on the 737 ng and max there is a flight lock solenoid. Without it, one could easily open the over wing exits in flight.
Link Posted: 1/6/2024 3:23:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Lol

Link Posted: 1/6/2024 3:31:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/6/2024 3:32:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
On the over wing doors on the 737 ng and max there is a flight lock solenoid. Without it, one could easily open the over wing exits in flight.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have no idea.  But, this is a mid-cabin emergency exit (a bit different from the wing exits) and while it should have in-flight lockout mechanisms, it is  most certainly not "deactivated" in flights with passengers aboard.

The A220 also uses that configuration.the door hinges up.Also,as soon as the door hinges up the evacuation slide actives unless a "key" is
Installed behind the exit light.I've seen one of those activate  by accident when someone opened the OWEED in preflight.
Now the mechanism is physically deactivated where the slide is located(rear fuselage just behind wing)

If someone was on a stand behind the wing and that slide activated,that person on the stand would have a really bad day.The slide uses compressed air and a small charge to inflate within seconds of deployment.
Link Posted: 1/6/2024 3:57:27 PM EDT
[#7]

smh
Link Posted: 1/6/2024 4:25:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Given the inherent conflict of the profitability/timeliness vs quality imperative in aircraft manufacturing and the current bean counter leadership at Boeing, I am honestly surprised stuff like this does not happen more often.  When you think about the manufacturing lines and production/cost pressures, It is quite a testimony to the existing QC processes that accidents do not happen more.
Link Posted: 1/6/2024 4:26:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Holy crap.
Link Posted: 1/6/2024 6:13:23 PM EDT
[#10]

"...several phones were sucked out as well.."

Yeah, I believe it.  The retention lanyard that I put on my phone so I don't drop it while pulling it out on rock/ice climbs would just be sitting idly in my pocket, because violent decompression wouldn't have been on my radar of things to worry about.
Link Posted: 1/6/2024 7:17:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/6/2024 7:37:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Whole plane is full, but by coincidence, nobody seated where this happened
Link Posted: 1/6/2024 7:44:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/alaska-airlines-grounds-boeing-737-9-aircraft-wind-blew-out-1.7076487

A. Will need to sedate the kid and his mother before you every get them on a plane again.  Hence there is fun/E ticket rides, but that all ends when your shirt is sucked off you you to start with.  On the positive, will make huge bank on the lawsuit, so will never be so rushed in life that they may ever need to fly somewhere again.

B, is Boeing going to get the fine for the problem happening in the first place, since did not have the correct lock out to the door system. or plugged off door when it was paneled off for not use in this config, or is the Alaska Airlines going to get the fine, for their service crew not checking the system behind a panel as part of their ongoing service instead.  I bring this up, since Boeing has agreed to pay $200 million US to the Securities and Exchange Commission to settle civil charges that it misled investors about the 737 Max crashes, and got to believe that this failure on a two month old plane would fall back on them as well.  Also, going to be a lot of lawsuits going on as well over this, so are they going to be directed at Boeing, or at the Alaska Airlines.

But hey, at least Boeing can not write this one off to pilot/ maintenance service error, like the  Max crashes when the Mcas system without  redundancy had problems to cause the crashes; that the pilots did not even know where on the planes to start with, until after the second crash that the planes where ground by the FAA/government. At least the FAA did learn from that mistake of trusting Boeing, and has ground all the 9's that are in the same configuration, until they can figure out the problem, and get it resolved so it does not happen again.
View Quote

2 months in service, and this should be a blind plug that’s not removable without tools?  This isn’t on Alaska Airlines unless their people messed with it (doubtful) or it had a required inspection scheduled already (also doubtful) that wasn’t performed (yes, you said that, but it seems very early for a structural type inspection)
Link Posted: 1/6/2024 7:48:41 PM EDT
[#14]

What idiot typed that?

Although a 747 Max 9 would be an interesting aircraft. But the 747 is no more.
Link Posted: 1/6/2024 7:50:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

2 months in service, and this should be a blind plug that’s not removable without tools?  This isn’t on Alaska Airlines unless their people messed with it (doubtful) or it had a required inspection scheduled already (also doubtful) that wasn’t performed (yes, you said that, but it seems very early for a structural type inspection)
View Quote

Doubt an inspection was due, but Alaska was known for pencil whipping inspections. That was 20 years ago when the jackscrew failed in CA.
Link Posted: 1/6/2024 7:54:53 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Ho
Lee
Crap
That would suck!
View Quote
Yeah, and then on top of that, they landed in Portland.
Link Posted: 1/6/2024 8:13:59 PM EDT
[#17]
That panel is bigger than the emergency exits. If I had to configure seats into the plane I would use that panel. Moving them across the wings would be  easy to damage the wing.

I wonder if the airframe was delivered with or without seat’s installed. Someone on here may know who does the final installation of the seats.
Link Posted: 1/6/2024 8:18:55 PM EDT
[#18]
Looks like the plug section failed, and was sucked out.  
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 1/6/2024 8:32:54 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 1/6/2024 8:37:54 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I didn't realize it is common for people to unbuckle during the flight. Granted, I have an extreme unreasonable fear of flying, but I always thought the seatbelt sign lets you know when you are able to get up to go to the bathroom. People are out there riding on planes unbuckled?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Keeping your seatbelt fastened while in flight is usually a good idea.

I didn't realize it is common for people to unbuckle during the flight. Granted, I have an extreme unreasonable fear of flying, but I always thought the seatbelt sign lets you know when you are able to get up to go to the bathroom. People are out there riding on planes unbuckled?

I used to always unbuckle my seatbelt as soon as the sign went off.
Back in 2000 I was working in offshore oil.
I was on leave for Christmas an was flying back home.
We hit some severe turbulence and the plane dropped for several seconds.
Drinks were flying in the air and some people hit the overhead compartments.
Since then I keep the seatbelt on unless i'm moving around.
Link Posted: 1/6/2024 8:55:33 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Whole plane is full, but by coincidence, nobody seated where this happened
View Quote

171 of 178.
I would place my bet more on deivine intervention rather than conspiracy but you do you.
Link Posted: 1/6/2024 9:03:19 PM EDT
[#22]
Pants were shat, guaranteed.

Link Posted: 1/6/2024 9:03:55 PM EDT
[#23]
Was someone sitting there and they moved after shit fell apart?
Link Posted: 1/6/2024 9:11:23 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

The seat next to the destroyed section of the plane was unoccupied but the force ripped the shirt off a teenager in the middle seat, leaving his skin reddened and legs bruised from the sudden decompression, a passenger said.

Link Posted: 1/6/2024 9:12:42 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

He's not in the pic with the guy charging his phone.  Guess he was moved?
Link Posted: 1/6/2024 9:16:17 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Yeah him and his mom were moved to different seats after it happened according to this article.
She said the teenager and his mother who was with him were moved to other seats by flight attendants.

"His mom had to drag him back into the plane," Le said. "I don't know where they are now, but everyone was OK."
https://www.oregonlive.com/portland/2024/01/scary-incident-forces-alaska-airlines-flight-back-to-pdx.html
Link Posted: 1/6/2024 9:20:36 PM EDT
[#27]
The vacuum must've been wild
Link Posted: 1/6/2024 9:31:57 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Boeing? Out the window you're going!
View Quote

The saying around here used to be "if it is not Boeing then I'm not going".  It is sad how much Boeing has destroyed their reputation.  At least they are working hard to increase their global equity, diversity, and inclusion numbers...and apparently that is all that matters.
Link Posted: 1/6/2024 9:34:13 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
The vacuum must've been wild
View Quote

Twistersuckzone.gif
Link Posted: 1/6/2024 9:53:09 PM EDT
[#30]
Door details/photos/design begin at 1:30 in this video.  
737 Mid-Cabin Emergency Exit Doors

Link Posted: 1/6/2024 9:55:08 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Twistersuckzone.gif
View Quote
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 1/6/2024 10:01:20 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

The saying around here used to be "if it is not Boeing then I'm not going".  It is sad how much Boeing has destroyed their reputation.  At least they are working hard to increase their global equity, diversity, and inclusion numbers...and apparently that is all that matters.
View Quote

Everything woke turns to shit!
Link Posted: 1/6/2024 10:12:37 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
That panel is bigger than the emergency exits. If I had to configure seats into the plane I would use that panel. Moving them across the wings would be  easy to damage the wing.

I wonder if the airframe was delivered with or without seat’s installed. Someone on here may know who does the final installation of the seats.
View Quote

Seats go in on one of the final flow days before the aircraft rolls out and goes to paint. The pitch and config, not to mention the seats themselves are all selected by the customer, but Boeing does the installation. There are a couple of more hurdles before delivery, but once the aircraft is handed over to the customer they usually start flying passengers either that day or the next. Not kidding. The aircraft has already done it's test flights and a few adjustments have been made...it doesn't make any money sitting on the ground.

I'd bet there was no conspiracy to that empty seat. No window, probably the worst seat on the aircraft.  
Link Posted: 1/6/2024 10:12:44 PM EDT
[#34]

The COVID-era manufacturing workforce keeps giving and giving.
Link Posted: 1/6/2024 10:15:17 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted g]By JLPettimoreIII:
/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/toast_gif-994.gif
View All Quotes
Originally Posted g]By JLPettimoreIII:
Quoted:

Twistersuckzone.gif
/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/toast_gif-994.gif

So pissed I couldn’t figure out how to post it from mobile.

I feel like it’s a gapping hole

Link Posted: 1/6/2024 10:21:13 PM EDT
[#36]
DEI engineering in a nutshell.
Link Posted: 1/6/2024 10:23:17 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

Is Boeing DEI'd up to the tits these days?
Link Posted: 1/6/2024 10:26:14 PM EDT
[#38]
I would think they would really be looking for that door about now.  The 2 upper points where that door is secured to the fuselage (with bolts or pins) seems to be undamaged from the pics shown inside and outside.
Link Posted: 1/6/2024 10:30:51 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I would think they would really be looking for that door about now.  The 2 upper points where that door is secured to the fuselage (with bolts or pins) seems to be undamaged from the pics shown inside and outside.
View Quote

Is this door new on the Max or is it a legacy carryover?
Link Posted: 1/6/2024 10:33:30 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

Tranny tits deep.

https://www.boeing.com/principles/diversity-and-inclusion/index.page
Link Posted: 1/6/2024 10:47:13 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I'd bet there was no conspiracy to that empty seat. No window, probably the worst seat on the aircraft.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Good point.  I kept thinking "exit row, how could it not be filled?" but (1) it wasn't really an exit row, and (2) there wasn't a window to look out of so why bother sitting there.

The teenager sitting in the middle seat was lucky he didn't want some space away from his mother, though.

Quoted:

They were DEI'd up to the tits 25 years ago.
Link Posted: 1/6/2024 10:55:25 PM EDT
[#42]
Think about it, though...how the f__k does a plug door simply “blow out”?
Link Posted: 1/6/2024 10:59:03 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What large company isn't?
Link Posted: 1/6/2024 11:00:35 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Think about it, though...how the f__k does a plug door simply “blow out”?
View Quote

Mechanically improperly installed plug door on a pressureized fuselage.
Link Posted: 1/6/2024 11:04:14 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Airline mechanics, what are we looking at?
View Quote

You must be in management.
Link Posted: 1/6/2024 11:12:31 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Mechanically improperly installed plug door on a pressurized fuselage.
View Quote

Something like that needs to be Tard Proof (TM) on all levels.
Link Posted: 1/6/2024 11:16:55 PM EDT
[#47]
Don't the planes get pressurized during functional testing on the flight line?
Then again during it's last flight test before delivery?
I'm surprised that the plug didn't fail during the initial pressurization cycles.
Link Posted: 1/6/2024 11:21:00 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Don't the planes get pressurized during functional testing on the flight line?
Then again during it's last flight test before delivery?
I'm surprised that the plug didn't fail during the initial pressurization cycles.
View Quote
That plane was new, but it sounds like it has had dozens, if not over a hundred flight cycles on it already. That means many pressirization cycles.
Link Posted: 1/6/2024 11:23:22 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, you are right, they open out, it has been a long time since I flew the -800
Link Posted: 1/6/2024 11:24:27 PM EDT
[#50]

There is some accurate reporting right there

LOL
Page / 17
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top