Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 7
Link Posted: 8/14/2020 2:06:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I dont know. I think I’m running pretty light compared to the old days.
Then again, I don’t change my shit around every time a new internet pic comes out. If I’ve been doing something for 20 years And it still works, I don’t change it.

I use this stuff quite a bit and it works. If I found myself humping mountains, I can dump shit it needed. It’s easier to drop it than it is to add it.
I went with muscle memory and what I have most training time on, so I feed from the belt and reload belt from carrier.

I just took this to show plenty of room for my pistol even with body turned a bit for pic.
If it ever stops working for me I will change it.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/32167/2A63471F-C745-4460-9DDD-4F7BF098D161-1545947.jpg
View Quote

Looks good to me. Not that I would know.
Link Posted: 8/14/2020 2:06:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Oh.  I mean because of my fat waist not your arm size.

I've got no place criticizing anyone on their gear choice or fitness.  I honestly just wanted to see how you access gear on the sides of a carrier like that, because if I put anything under my arms I feel like well, this

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/125898/download__2__jpg-1546056.JPG

I'm working on it.  Maybe 50lb from now I'll want to put the cummerbund back on.
View Quote

Good for you and keep at it.
Everyone starts somewhere, and starting is the hardest part!
Link Posted: 8/14/2020 2:13:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Very important point -- though a bunch of people have suggested the SRK which does have a guard.

Most "fighting" and tactical knives are designed by people who know nothing about knife fighting or even how knives actually work when cutting the intended target. Lynn Thompson has talked extensively (and critically) about exactly this. All that said, a knife that you carry into combat is not necessarily intended as a knife for killing people. It is far more likely to be useful cutting open packages or string, or perhaps digging a hole or cutting through a tree root. It probably depends on the scenario.

The one thing I know for sure, I would want something strong and relatively inexpensive. Think Cold Steel SRK or Drop Forged Hunter, or perhaps a small ESEE. If I wanted it for killing I would go with a modern Kuhkri or a Cold Steel Trailmaster -- a lighter weapon might be a Recon Tanto.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If you're planning to be frantically stabbing someone at hand-to-hand ranges in a fight to the death, why are you all posting knives with either no guard or a guard so tiny that you can expect your hand to slip right past it?  The surplus bayonet a few posts up is the first knife posted with an effective guard. The bayonet was designed around the requirement of "effective at killing without slicing the soldier's hand open" while almost all of the rest of the knives posted were designed around "look cool so people buy it on the internet."  I'm sure they work great for cutting your barbecue , but maybe we should be considering something a bit more purpose made if we're talking about putting it on a carrier.

I wish someone made a quality reproduction WWI Trench Knife.  

Very important point -- though a bunch of people have suggested the SRK which does have a guard.

Most "fighting" and tactical knives are designed by people who know nothing about knife fighting or even how knives actually work when cutting the intended target. Lynn Thompson has talked extensively (and critically) about exactly this. All that said, a knife that you carry into combat is not necessarily intended as a knife for killing people. It is far more likely to be useful cutting open packages or string, or perhaps digging a hole or cutting through a tree root. It probably depends on the scenario.

The one thing I know for sure, I would want something strong and relatively inexpensive. Think Cold Steel SRK or Drop Forged Hunter, or perhaps a small ESEE. If I wanted it for killing I would go with a modern Kuhkri or a Cold Steel Trailmaster -- a lighter weapon might be a Recon Tanto.

Yup, but then if you have time to grab a knife, grab a gun. Plenty of small autos and revolvers for contact distance.

Trail master is a good blade. Too big for a PC mounted vertically. If I wanted to carry a big knife i'd look to mount it horizontally on the lower back or somewhere out of the way.

I carried a trailmaster many a mile behind a belted pistol.

I like a small knife for cutting, a 5-6" single edged straight edged blade. I have a pistol for shooting people that grab my rifle. . For purely cutting a person up the spiderco civilian type knife is hard to beat. Lots of people say puncture wounds are preferable to laceration, but I figure the best you can hope for with a knife is to cause immediate shock. Lacerations do that really well.

Link Posted: 8/14/2020 2:16:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

It also looks well worn.
View Quote

True, mine is well worn but cleaned after use.
Link Posted: 8/14/2020 2:17:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Fixed blade
Full tang
Rubber grip
Stainless
USA German Japanese Scandinavian Spain Only
View Quote
Buck Nighthawk.
Link Posted: 8/14/2020 2:22:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It also looks well worn.

I try to clean mine.

key word being try.
Link Posted: 8/14/2020 2:26:24 PM EDT
[#7]
From a knife thread to now all my shit is obese, worn out and dirty..
There’s no pleasing you fuckers!
Link Posted: 8/14/2020 2:32:27 PM EDT
[#8]

I just keep a strap cutter on my pc.  But I’m a child of the 80's so if I were to carry a killin knife it’d have to be one of these

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 8/14/2020 2:33:46 PM EDT
[#9]
I haven't seen any RMJ love in this thread.

Attachment Attached File

The Sparrow in the middle and the Peregrine on the left are a couple of my favorite fixed blades.
Link Posted: 8/14/2020 2:40:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I try to clean mine.

key word being try.
View Quote

I'll take the thing apart and wash it when it's filthy.  I use Bio-o-clean because it doesn't have any brighteners and wash on cold.
Link Posted: 8/14/2020 2:47:00 PM EDT
[#11]
I like the small TDI knife.
Link Posted: 8/14/2020 2:52:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I'll take the thing apart and wash it when it's filthy.  I use Bio-o-clean because it doesn't have any brighteners and wash on cold.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I try to clean mine.

key word being try.

Saved to favs. I use bulk peroxide baking soda and water in a tub and then hit it with deep woods off and let it set in the sun to dry.

Link Posted: 8/14/2020 2:57:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Saved to favs. I use bulk peroxide baking soda and water in a tub and then hit it with deep woods off and let it set in the sun to dry.

View Quote

That doesn't fade it?
Link Posted: 8/14/2020 3:00:59 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Post yours, let me see how you do it..
View Quote

@QP031

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/14/2020 3:16:31 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

That doesn't fade it?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That doesn't fade it?

It might if you add too much peroxide, I add about a gallon of peroxide and a box of soda to 10-12 gallons of water and wash the stuff by hand.

It does a fairly good job. I do not wash it after every use. I take out the mags and stuff and hang it up in a dry non climate controlled area until it dries and then repack.

Pre soak in the baking soda and water, and then add the peroxide while washing. Wring it dry and repeat in clean water. Wring it dry and let it dry outside.

Link Posted: 8/14/2020 3:20:33 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

It might if you add too much peroxide, I add about a gallon of peroxide and a box of soda to 10-12 gallons of water and wash the stuff by hand.

It does a fairly good job. I do not wash it after every use. I take out the mags and stuff and hang it up in a dry non climate controlled area until it dries and then repack.

View Quote

I found that some nylon fades with sun and bug spray.
Link Posted: 8/14/2020 3:25:25 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Never had an issue. I prefer to spray my outer clothes and put them on, and the gear doesn't need it. But I always hit it with off after a washing.

Link Posted: 8/14/2020 3:28:42 PM EDT
[#18]
SOG Field Knife, mounted on weak-side cumberbund.

Link Posted: 8/14/2020 3:47:14 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I'm still gonna carry a big knife.
View Quote

I know... I'm ok with it if you are....
Link Posted: 8/14/2020 3:48:12 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I just keep a strap cutter on my pc.  But I’m a child of the 80's so if I were to carry a killin knife it’d have to be one of these

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/241310/5AFAB324-AD35-4A66-9895-0B79DC0830C9_jpe-1546142.JPG

View Quote

That's the one I lost... Grrrrr.
Link Posted: 8/14/2020 4:07:14 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 8/14/2020 4:16:01 PM EDT
[#22]
Late to the party but ESEE 3 or 4. They can take a lot of abuse and they have an unconditional warranty.
Link Posted: 8/14/2020 4:40:53 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
SOG Field Knife, mounted on weak-side cumberbund.

https://i.imgur.com/dc7rC0K.jpg
View Quote

is that Hypalon backing on your chest rig? The shoulder straps?
Link Posted: 8/14/2020 4:45:58 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Buck Nighthawk.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Fixed blade
Full tang
Rubber grip
Stainless
USA German Japanese Scandinavian Spain Only
Buck Nighthawk.

Googling
Link Posted: 8/14/2020 5:19:10 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
i would say something as cheap as possible so you won't cry while it's rusting away in an evidence locker.
View Quote

That's one thing I was thinking about.  However, if I'm wearing a plate carrier, I probably have an AR, pistol and high dollar plates.  Maybe even a helmet. I don't really want those in the evidence locker either.  Even worse is having night vision, thermal scope and silencer with me too.
Link Posted: 8/14/2020 5:31:50 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Knives are quite the Psychological conundrum. There is a reason that the Soviets, and later the US, made there bayonets' to also function as a wire cutter. Because troops would ditch a stand alone pair as dead weight. But you give a Soldier a Knife, he keeps that over everything.
There is just something primordial about a knife. Which is why you see so many pics of them on gear, big ass Pig stickers on a battle belt. Big ass Rambo knives on a PC.

Yet the truth of it.... They have little utility. You truly are just carrying dead weight. I fell into that trap as a young private... wen to the PX and bought a Gerber Mark 1... could not wait to attach it to my LBE. I think it took about a week before I lost it somewhere in the Mojave deserts of NTC.

Once the Leatherman and Gerber Multitools came out in the Mid 80's I never looked back. You had a saw for cutting, you had a scissors, you could tighten bolts and screws, and you could cut and open  bands on rations or break seals on ammo cans, They were and still are the perfect soldiers tool.
And if anyone remembers the scene from the movie Proof of Life, you can use that saw blade quite effectively to take out a sentry....

A big ass knife does none of those things very well. and it if comes down to me being knee deep in brass and grenade Pull rings, with Charlie in the wire, I'm guessing that big ass knife will be used for one thing... as some bad guys trophy he took off my dead body.
But thanks to Hollywood, combined with male Psychology, the need to hang a big ass knife on your PC is still there.

View Quote

I do see the value in multitools, I have several and occasionally use them. I see a knife as plan "C".  Plan "A" would be an AR, plan "B" would be a pistol and plan "C" would be a knife. I don't really see myself ever using it, but with all the crazy shit going on right now, I can see the value of plan "C".

Maybe I have my plans all screwed up, but that's the way I think of it.

A multitool is as much as a trophy as a knife, rifle, pistol or any other gear you leave behind.
Link Posted: 8/14/2020 5:42:50 PM EDT
[#28]
Me after reading this thread

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 8/14/2020 5:45:42 PM EDT
[#29]

Thanks, I needed a good laugh.  We could be friends, haha.
Link Posted: 8/14/2020 5:49:33 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I do see the value in multitools, I have several and occasionally use them. I see a knife as plan "C".  Plan "A" would be an AR, plan "B" would be a pistol and plan "C" would be a knife. I don't really see myself ever using it, but with all the crazy shit going on right now, I can see the value of plan "C".

Maybe I have my plans all screwed up, but that's the way I think of it.

A multitool is as much as a trophy as a knife, rifle, pistol or any other gear you leave behind.
View Quote

Knives are actually quite useful, more as a tool than as a weapon. The only time I was glad to have a MUT on me in addition to a knife was when I got a really bad brass over bolt jam on my M27 one time.

FWIW I carry a folder with a 3"-4" blade on my PC or in my pocket.
Link Posted: 8/14/2020 5:49:44 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

I'm gonna keep the kwaiken in the center. Pretty much perfect with the utili clip securing it in that velcro pouch under my mags.
Link Posted: 8/14/2020 5:54:19 PM EDT
[#32]

That's how you do it
Link Posted: 8/14/2020 5:58:50 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 8/14/2020 6:05:14 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Knives are actually quite useful, more as a tool than as a weapon. The only time I was glad to have a MUT on me in addition to a knife was when I got a really bad brass over bolt jam on my M27 one time.

FWIW I carry a folder with a 3"-4" blade on my PC or in my pocket.
View Quote

Don't get me wrong.  If I have pants on I have an auto folder in my pocket and a flashlight.  Those are two things I don't leave the house without.

I'm thinking a fixed blade on a plate carrier would nice, quicker access.  I'd rather damage it than my pocket knife if using as a tool.
Link Posted: 8/14/2020 6:07:05 PM EDT
[#35]
They look handy for when someone needs to grab it and kill the wearer.
Link Posted: 8/14/2020 6:08:14 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Don't get me wrong.  If I have pants on I have an auto folder in my pocket and a flashlight.  Those are two things I don't leave the house without.

I'm thinking a fixed blade on a plate carrier would nice, quicker access.  I'd rather damage it than my pocket knife if using as a tool.
View Quote

I think if you're in a situation where you're wearing a plate carrier being careful not to damage a knife shouldn't even be a thought.

My general motto is fuck it. Knives are tools. I currently have one tied to a broomstick to use as an anti wasp spear. It has hit concrete and brick a few times

Link Posted: 8/14/2020 6:11:48 PM EDT
[#37]
30yr old double edge Rigid.
Japanese made,carried for years,now on carrier left front shoulder Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/14/2020 6:13:36 PM EDT
[#38]
Gerber strongarm
Link Posted: 8/14/2020 6:13:48 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

Versus their handgun?

Yeah, ok.
Link Posted: 8/14/2020 6:18:30 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Versus their handgun?

Yeah, ok.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Versus their handgun?

Yeah, ok.

So... if you have time and space to draw a knife why wouldn't you just transition to a handgun?
Link Posted: 8/14/2020 6:19:25 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Gerber strongarm
View Quote

Again with the bleh steels.

There's this fetish for it I don't get.

If you're going to spend 300 bones on a PC, a few hundred on plates, few hundred on patches and stickers then at least up the knife game.
Link Posted: 8/14/2020 6:19:53 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I think if you're in a situation where you're wearing a plate carrier being careful not to damage a knife shouldn't even be a thought.

View Quote

In a defensive situation, I'm grabbing whatever is available to defend myself.

If I need a tool in a non emergency situation, I prefer not to damage my pocket knife if another tool is available.
Link Posted: 8/14/2020 6:23:22 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Again with the bleh steels.

There's this fetish for it I don't get.

If you're going to spend 300 bones on a PC, a few hundred on plates, few hundred on patches and stickers then at least up the knife game.
View Quote

I agree with this, I'd rather spend my money once and get something that will hold up if I need it.

If you're going the stab someone, stab them with your very best!
Link Posted: 8/14/2020 6:28:11 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

So... if you have time and space to draw a knife why wouldn't you just transition to a handgun?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Versus their handgun?

Yeah, ok.

Alex is saying handgun retention is as much or a bigger issue than knife retention.
Link Posted: 8/14/2020 6:41:28 PM EDT
[#45]
Gerber Guardian. Weighs nothing, quick draw.
Link Posted: 8/14/2020 7:06:47 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If you're planning to be frantically stabbing someone at hand-to-hand ranges in a fight to the death, why are you all posting knives with either no guard or a guard so tiny that you can expect your hand to slip right past it?  The surplus bayonet a few posts up is the first knife posted with an effective guard. The bayonet was designed around the requirement of "effective at killing without slicing the soldier's hand open" while almost all of the rest of the knives posted were designed around "look cool so people buy it on the internet."  I'm sure they work great for cutting your barbecue , but maybe we should be considering something a bit more purpose made if we're talking about putting it on a carrier.

I wish someone made a quality reproduction WWI Trench Knife.  

I used to hunt wild hogs with dogs and my SRK.  The curs would bay them, the bulldog would catch, then I would grab the back legs, drag them backwards, then throw to one side, pivot quickly and plant one knee on their back just behind the shoulder, raise the front leg and put the SRK under the leg and slide it between the ribs. Work it around the dice the heart up.  You'd know when you got it because the blood would gout out pretty hard for a second.  Even the large boar hogs only last about 8 seconds or so before the blood pressure drops and it's lights out.
I've had to stab a few hogs to death that I couldn't get thrown that were cutting dogs up and it's touch and go.  You stab, stab, stab while they are preoccupied with a dog, but they inevitably turn on you and you got to dash for cover behind a tree and hope the dogs grab it again.  You get the licks in as fast as you can.  
The point I'm making about the SRK is this.  The handle is knobby and slightly softer rubber, it "kinda" has a guard that keeps your hand from riding up on the blade.  I've never come close to hurting myself with it.  I've got a couple of the older Carbon V models and one of the San Mai models.  The newer model I have has a little bit of a hollow grind which pisses me off because I liked the strength of the older blades even with the added weight. Haven't broken the belly out of it yet and it's razor sharp like the others.

Link Posted: 8/14/2020 7:12:55 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Alex is saying handgun retention is as much or a bigger issue than knife retention.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Versus their handgun?

Yeah, ok.

Oh I understand what he was getting at, my question still stands.
Link Posted: 8/14/2020 7:14:51 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote
The same could be said about the sidearm on one's hip also, no?

Are you advocating not carrying a hand gun?

I would work on your situational awareness if you are being snuck up on so easily.
Link Posted: 8/14/2020 7:17:42 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
No Ka-Bar love?
View Quote

I have a USN MK1 on my war belt, I'm having two uber pointy push daggers made for my plate carriers.
Link Posted: 8/14/2020 7:24:32 PM EDT
[#50]
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top