BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 7
Link Posted: 8/14/2020 10:16:19 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Any fixed blade will do.  Just remember to carry it right in front and advertise it to the world, so they can pull it off your vest and use it against you.

Better yet, I really prefer when guys use the belt clip of a folder to attach it to their molle.  

Can't go wrong either way.
View Quote

So where are you supposed to attach said fixed blade so they "don't use it against you"?
Link Posted: 8/14/2020 10:19:39 AM EDT
[#2]
Had a bench made nimvarus in Iraq in ‘04. It’s on my personal rig today. Under left arm.  Great knife, holds tight to the carrier. Sheath is the weak point. The lock breaks easily.
Link Posted: 8/14/2020 10:19:59 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Another thread came up about this recently...several folks suggested just picking up a gerber strongarm.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/119115/Strongarm1_JPG-1545442.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/119115/Strongarm2_JPG-1545443.JPG
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/14/2020 10:25:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
ESEE, Mora or BK&T for a budget buy. Steel isn’t necessarily as important as heat treat and blade geometry, stick to a company that has a rep for doing both correctly. I haven’t had great luck with Gerber, but I still have an old LMF II.

Me? I’d probably carry a SYKCO Dog Soldier 6. But I prefer a folding knife because they don’t take up much real estate.
Zero Tolerance 0223<— this is a folder.

I’ve also been eyeballing this one from Bastinelli: https://www.bladehq.com/item--Bastinelli-Creations-Montana-Fixed--110304
View Quote

I have an ESEE sometimes and a larger Benchmade folder others.  I use the ESEE mostly because I have several of them and they fit well.  The 3 or 4 are good sizes and can be had with decent sheaths.  I have several Gerbers, but have had BAD luck with their steel, even on their multi-tools.  Any of the Busse kin knives are excellent too, but I end up beating anything on my carrier and I don't care about the ESEE as much.
Link Posted: 8/14/2020 10:26:19 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

So where are you supposed to attach said fixed blade so they "don't use it against you"?
View Quote
Just needs a level 3 retention sheath with a hood
Link Posted: 8/14/2020 10:29:41 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Any fixed blade will do.  Just remember to carry it right in front and advertise it to the world, so they can pull it off your vest and use it against you.

Better yet, I really prefer when guys use the belt clip of a folder to attach it to their molle.  

at your side or one on each side in case you lose one. Best place is hidden behind a pouch or something where it doesn't stick out and scream knife.

My suggestion is a couple of cheapies for cutting stuff that need cutting. 5-6" moras will do.

Mora Companion 8.8

Mora Craftline 10.8
Link Posted: 8/14/2020 10:32:36 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Somewhere you can retain it if you're fighting with a guy for control of your pistol or rifle. Lots of guys like the left side by their arm so they can block access to it by pulling their arm close to or across their chest.
Link Posted: 8/14/2020 10:41:04 AM EDT
[#8]

The only Glock I'll carry
Link Posted: 8/14/2020 10:41:44 AM EDT
[#9]
I’d like some Kydex for this one:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/14/2020 10:42:40 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I have an ESEE sometimes and a larger Benchmade folder others.  I use the ESEE mostly because I have several of them and they fit well.  The 3 or 4 are good sizes and can be had with decent sheaths.  I have several Gerbers, but have had BAD luck with their steel, even on their multi-tools.  Any of the Busse kin knives are excellent too, but I end up beating anything on my carrier and I don't care about the ESEE as much.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
ESEE, Mora or BK&T for a budget buy. Steel isn’t necessarily as important as heat treat and blade geometry, stick to a company that has a rep for doing both correctly. I haven’t had great luck with Gerber, but I still have an old LMF II.

Me? I’d probably carry a SYKCO Dog Soldier 6. But I prefer a folding knife because they don’t take up much real estate.
Zero Tolerance 0223<— this is a folder.

I’ve also been eyeballing this one from Bastinelli: https://www.bladehq.com/item--Bastinelli-Creations-Montana-Fixed--110304

I have a ZT 0350 in a utility pouch. I like the 0223 and recommended it because the OP seems interested in the style of knife.

For the thread posters in general, maybe I’ll catch flak for this, but if you’re going to carry a big knife, I hope you have training to go with it. Plates are great for protecting your vitals from bullets, but thinking in terms of worst case, plates won’t do jack shit if you’re on the ground with your knife against someone who has competency grappling.
Link Posted: 8/14/2020 10:50:37 AM EDT
[#11]
Knives are quite the Psychological conundrum. There is a reason that the Soviets, and later the US, made there bayonets' to also function as a wire cutter. Because troops would ditch a stand alone pair as dead weight. But you give a Soldier a Knife, he keeps that over everything.
There is just something primordial about a knife. Which is why you see so many pics of them on gear, big ass Pig stickers on a battle belt. Big ass Rambo knives on a PC.

Yet the truth of it.... They have little utility. You truly are just carrying dead weight. I fell into that trap as a young private... wen to the PX and bought a Gerber Mark 1... could not wait to attach it to my LBE. I think it took about a week before I lost it somewhere in the Mojave deserts of NTC.

Once the Leatherman and Gerber Multitools came out in the Mid 80's I never looked back. You had a saw for cutting, you had a scissors, you could tighten bolts and screws, and you could cut and open  bands on rations or break seals on ammo cans, They were and still are the perfect soldiers tool.
And if anyone remembers the scene from the movie Proof of Life, you can use that saw blade quite effectively to take out a sentry....

A big ass knife does none of those things very well. and it if comes down to me being knee deep in brass and grenade Pull rings, with Charlie in the wire, I'm guessing that big ass knife will be used for one thing... as some bad guys trophy he took off my dead body.
But thanks to Hollywood, combined with male Psychology, the need to hang a big ass knife on your PC is still there.

Link Posted: 8/14/2020 11:00:16 AM EDT
[#12]
it's beautiful!
Link Posted: 8/14/2020 11:01:42 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Knives are quite the Psychological conundrum. There is a reason that the Soviets, and later the US, made there bayonets' to also function as a wire cutter. Because troops would ditch a stand alone pair as dead weight. But you give a Soldier a Knife, he keeps that over everything.
There is just something primordial about a knife. Which is why you see so many pics of them on gear, big ass Pig stickers on a battle belt. Big ass Rambo knives on a PC.

Yet the truth of it.... They have little utility. You truly are just carrying dead weight. I fell into that trap as a young private... wen to the PX and bought a Gerber Mark 1... could not wait to attach it to my LBE. I think it took about a week before I lost it somewhere in the Mojave deserts of NTC.

Once the Leatherman and Gerber Multitools came out in the Mid 80's I never looked back. You had a saw for cutting, you had a scissors, you could tighten bolts and screws, and you could cut and open  bands on rations or break seals on ammo cans, They were and still are the perfect soldiers tool.
And if anyone remembers the scene from the movie Proof of Life, you can use that saw blade quite effectively to take out a sentry....

A big ass knife does none of those things very well. and it if comes down to me being knee deep in brass and grenade Pull rings, with Charlie in the wire, I'm guessing that big ass knife will be used for one thing... as some bad guys trophy he took off my dead body.
But thanks to Hollywood, combined with male Psychology, the need to hang a big ass knife on your PC is still there.
View Quote

I remember reading in The Warrior Elite by Dick Couch, at the beginning of BUD/S Phase Three, SEAL instructors told the class a knife was really only useful to dig a hole to shit in, so ditch the Rambo fixed blade and get a lightweight folder. That always stuck with me.
Link Posted: 8/14/2020 11:08:39 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I remember reading in The Warrior Elite by Dick Couch, at the beginning of BUD/S Phase Three, SEAL instructors told the class a knife was really only useful to dig a hole to shit in, so ditch the Rambo fixed blade and get a lightweight folder. That always stuck with me.
View Quote

Get both?

Link Posted: 8/14/2020 11:11:11 AM EDT
[#15]
I'm a dirty Army guy but this SEAL knife is a solid chonk of steel. (Treeman TASS)

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/14/2020 11:15:24 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I don't even know why he's bothering to carry spare pistol mags. He can't fucking draw a pistol from either side with 42 pounds of shit he has hanging off both sides. It's like he is trying to cover any exposed molle with.. Something.
View Quote

Post yours, let me see how you do it..
Link Posted: 8/14/2020 11:16:08 AM EDT
[#17]
Get whatever you like the looks of. Blade steel is of minor consequence, not like it's going to be used much (if at all).
Link Posted: 8/14/2020 11:23:56 AM EDT
[#18]
Some flavor of Scrapyard Regulator

Link Posted: 8/14/2020 11:29:09 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

You do have a lot of shit on your PC, man.

Maybe move the pistol mags to a 1st line belt, ditch two of the knives, I dunno.

That looks like it weighs 75lbs.

Link Posted: 8/14/2020 11:31:11 AM EDT
[#20]
I've always got some kind of folder on me, a survival knife in the bag.  All I need on my carrier is a "get off me" knife.  That's why mine is relatively small and mounted in the center. (Able to get to it with either hand)
Theres also a multitool on my belt.
Link Posted: 8/14/2020 11:31:41 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't even know why he's bothering to carry spare pistol mags. He can't fucking draw a pistol from either side with 42 pounds of shit he has hanging off both sides. It's like he is trying to cover any exposed molle with.. Something.

I don't know how you manage so much stuff under your arms, but I'm fat so that may have something to do with it.  I need slick sides so I don't even bother with a cummerbund.
Link Posted: 8/14/2020 11:37:46 AM EDT
[#22]

I knew someone would come out with the sword. Haha, I like it.

Link Posted: 8/14/2020 11:38:05 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Not that I can imagine ever having or needing a plate carrier, a Fallkniven A1. Unless I was stylin’ at Lobby Day, then a Randall #1-7.
View Quote

It's a toss-up for me between the 1-7" or 3-7".
Link Posted: 8/14/2020 11:38:21 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Have you trained in your PC? Run? Pushups? Chins? Everyday tasks?

I mean if it works for you, it works. But it looks bulky to my ultra low speed, high drag eyes. I’m too fat to carry any more extra weight than necessary.
Link Posted: 8/14/2020 11:38:46 AM EDT
[#25]
All this reminds me of the gun shopping scene in John Wick

John Wick Chapter 2 Gun Shopping
Link Posted: 8/14/2020 11:48:37 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I don't know how you manage so much stuff under your arms, but I'm fat so that may have something to do with it.  I need slick sides so I don't even bother with a cummerbund.
View Quote

I dont know. I think I’m running pretty light compared to the old days.
Then again, I don’t change my shit around every time a new internet pic comes out. If I’ve been doing something for 20 years And it still works, I don’t change it.

I use this stuff quite a bit and it works. If I found myself humping mountains, I can dump shit it needed. It’s easier to drop it than it is to add it.
I went with muscle memory and what I have most training time on, so I feed from the belt and reload belt from carrier.

I just took this to show plenty of room for my pistol even with body turned a bit for pic.
If it ever stops working for me I will change it.

Link Posted: 8/14/2020 11:50:11 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Have you trained in your PC? Run? Pushups? Chins? Everyday tasks?

I mean if it works for you, it works. But it looks bulky to my ultra low speed, high drag eyes. I’m too fat to carry any more extra weight than necessary.
View Quote

Yes sir, sure do. This isn’t a closet or go to the range once a year gear.
Link Posted: 8/14/2020 11:52:10 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

I'm still gonna carry a big knife.
Link Posted: 8/14/2020 11:52:55 AM EDT
[#29]
I thought my carrying 4 pistol mags on my pants belt was a lot.

I like the little pouch/thing you have for the chemlights, what is that?
Link Posted: 8/14/2020 11:59:14 AM EDT
[#30]

I have one of these mounted upside down on my left shoulder.  I really like the feel of this knife in my hand.  The sheath mounts to molle very tight and the whole thing is surprisingly awesome for $33 on Amazon.  Made in USA as well.
Link Posted: 8/14/2020 11:59:14 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I dont know. I think I’m running pretty light compared to the old days.
Then again, I don’t change my shit around every time a new internet pic comes out. If I’ve been doing something for 20 years And it still works, I don’t change it.

I use this stuff quite a bit and it works. If I found myself humping mountains, I can dump shit it needed. It’s easier to drop it than it is to add it.
I went with muscle memory and what I have most training time on, so I feed from the belt and reload belt from carrier.

I just took this to show plenty of room for my pistol even with body turned a bit for pic.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/32167/2A63471F-C745-4460-9DDD-4F7BF098D161-1545947.jpg
View Quote

Looks good to me. If it works for ya, don't let the keyboard kommandos give you shit.
Link Posted: 8/14/2020 11:59:59 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I like pokey  stuff..

Emerson karambit on the right for meat and greet.
Esse 4 on left for utility
Socp in center to request social distancing.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/32167/1C1885B0-FFB0-4265-9F1E-97E27235A63D-1545571.jpg

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/32167/F896B900-62B6-4992-BDD0-28EA8E0EE9A9-1545572.jpg

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/32167/DD727E83-822A-4D48-81AB-1BD5BA23508B-1545573.jpg

Edit
Side knives are fairly  hidden when worn.
View Quote

Is that a rape whistle in the second pic?
Link Posted: 8/14/2020 12:01:33 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I dont know. I think I'm running pretty light compared to the old days.
Then again, I don't change my shit around every time a new internet pic comes out. If I've been doing something for 20 years And it still works, I don't change it.

I use this stuff quite a bit and it works. If I found myself humping mountains, I can dump shit it needed. It's easier to drop it than it is to add it.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/32167/2A63471F-C745-4460-9DDD-4F7BF098D161-1545947.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I dont know. I think I'm running pretty light compared to the old days.
Then again, I don't change my shit around every time a new internet pic comes out. If I've been doing something for 20 years And it still works, I don't change it.

I use this stuff quite a bit and it works. If I found myself humping mountains, I can dump shit it needed. It's easier to drop it than it is to add it.

Yeah, you've got more room than I do under those arms

I'm not criticizing.  Whatever works for you
Link Posted: 8/14/2020 12:01:52 PM EDT
[#34]
I have a sheath for my EDC Cold Steel Safe Maker I push dagger on my carrier, because if I have time to grab the knife I can channel my inner Barnes.  

I do keep a Microtech Curahee on the "battle belt"... way overpriced, but I got in as part of a trade.
Link Posted: 8/14/2020 12:03:56 PM EDT
[#35]
seal

pup

elite
Link Posted: 8/14/2020 12:08:05 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I thought my carrying 4 pistol mags on my pants belt was a lot.

I like the little pouch/thing you have for the chemlights, what is that?
View Quote

Thankfully it has a tag so I could google it.
I keep vis mini chem Sticks there so I can easily mark cleared areas and such.
As for the ammo, like the saying goes, unless you are on fire or underwater, you can never have to much ammo..
It still isn’t enough. I always have more around. If I think something might get ugly, I can shoulder a bandolier or two.

Link Posted: 8/14/2020 12:09:48 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

About fucking time!
Yes!
It’s there as a joke, but for something that weighs nothing And takes minimal effort to activate if I was injured or something, I’d probably still have it in a pocket.
Link Posted: 8/14/2020 12:10:51 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

Bully.

Just don’t make fun of my sissy wrists!
Link Posted: 8/14/2020 12:12:51 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

About fucking time!
Yes!
It’s there as a joke, but for something that weighs nothing And takes minimal effort to activate if I was injured or something, I’d probably still have it in a pocket.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

About fucking time!
Yes!

If I needed a PC with that much shit, I’m not sure I’d use a whistle if I got hurt.

Of course if it’s because you get shot I guess they already know where you are.

How long do chem lights last outside of the wrapper? Are IR affected more or less than vis chem lights?
Link Posted: 8/14/2020 12:20:20 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Another thread came up about this recently...several folks suggested just picking up a gerber strongarm.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/119115/Strongarm1_JPG-1545442.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/119115/Strongarm2_JPG-1545443.JPG
View Quote

Good for a cheap, lightweight solution.

Second would be a CRKT Ultima, 5” or 7” combi with Veff serrations. 5” model can be attached to the back of the PC, upside down to keep it well out of the way.

My personal favorite is TOPS Steel Eagle 105C, sawback and rounded point. Can go 5” or 7” but either way it’s heavy and you need to acquire a new sheath, factory one sucks.

Fallkniven S1.

Varusteleka, Norwegian milsurp online store makes excellent, inexpensive blades.

ETA; Forgot Cold Steel SRK.

Mounting for me has been one of three methods, each with its own purpose. On the back of the PC, hilt down and positioned for my dominant hand; on my support-side shoulder; or on my left side, blade down, mounted on the cummerbund as close to the front plate as possible. The last of the three is the most practical option, though its arguable if you want a knife there, or another TQ.
Link Posted: 8/14/2020 12:27:08 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

If I needed a PC with that much shit, I’m not sure I’d use a whistle if I got hurt.

Of course if it’s because you get shot I guess they already know where you are.

How long do chem lights last outside of the wrapper? Are IR affected more or less than vis chem lights?
View Quote

I’m not sure. I do go through them quick enough I guess. They always still work.
It’s been years since I found an old one that I’ve wondered if it still worked and they did but were a bit dimmer. I don’t know if the technology has changed since then.
Ir’s are full sized and on my back.
Link Posted: 8/14/2020 12:27:08 PM EDT
[#42]
Strictly for stabbing, you'd be surprised how effective a cheap ice pick can be.
Link Posted: 8/14/2020 12:27:30 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote

100%

Read through the replies looking for this. I like the Gerber MP600. Only $50, has pliars, knife, saw, and various philips/regular tool heads. Fits in most pistol mag pouches.

https://www.amazon.com/Gerber-MP600-Multi-Plier-Needle-47550/dp/B000VORS1E

Along with the multitool on the PC, I keep my little Sypderco folder in my pants in the same place I keep it when I'm not LARPing in gear. Muscle memory stays the same and I know where to reach if I need a blade.
Link Posted: 8/14/2020 12:31:42 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Thankfully it has a tag so I could google it.
I keep vis mini chem Sticks there so I can easily mark cleared areas and such.
As for the ammo, like the saying goes, unless you are on fire or underwater, you can never have to much ammo..
It still isn’t enough. I always have more around. If I think something might get ugly, I can shoulder a bandolier or two.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/32167/B422974E-0A6F-4600-B5AF-E24B1D0D82A3-1545971.jpg
View Quote

Interesting...  does it fit full size chemlights?  I have a use for it if so.
Link Posted: 8/14/2020 12:37:10 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Interesting...  does it fit full size chemlights?  I have a use for it if so.
View Quote

It does.
If it were me, I might mount it vertical instead with full size, but you know what you need.
Pic with ir full size to give you an idea.

Link Posted: 8/14/2020 1:23:51 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Bully.

Just don't make fun of my sissy wrists!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bully.

Just don't make fun of my sissy wrists!
Oh.  I mean because of my fat waist not your arm size.

I've got no place criticizing anyone on their gear choice or fitness.  I honestly just wanted to see how you access gear on the sides of a carrier like that, because if I put anything under my arms I feel like well, this

Attachment Attached File

I'm working on it.  Maybe 50lb from now I'll want to put the cummerbund back on.
Link Posted: 8/14/2020 1:25:28 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

It does.
If it were me, I might mount it vertical instead with full size, but you know what you need.
Pic with ir full size to give you an idea.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/32167/E25D1C74-49C3-4451-88FD-0690B09717CE-1546005.jpg
View Quote

Outstanding, thanks.

/edit just ordered and TNVC has IR laser targets in stock, sweet.
Link Posted: 8/14/2020 1:39:26 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I've always got some kind of folder on me, a survival knife in the bag.  All I need on my carrier is a "get off me" knife.  That's why mine is relatively small and mounted in the center. (Able to get to i with either hand)
Theres also a multitool on my belt.
View Quote

That's what Kyle Defoor calls it, the "Get the fuck off me knife". I've never found a knife mounting system that didn't get in the way, or wouldn't fall off, never to be seen again. I'm low speed, so I carry a folder.
Link Posted: 8/14/2020 1:53:02 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
If you're planning to be frantically stabbing someone at hand-to-hand ranges in a fight to the death, why are you all posting knives with either no guard or a guard so tiny that you can expect your hand to slip right past it?  The surplus bayonet a few posts up is the first knife posted with an effective guard. The bayonet was designed around the requirement of "effective at killing without slicing the soldier's hand open" while almost all of the rest of the knives posted were designed around "look cool so people buy it on the internet."  I'm sure they work great for cutting your barbecue , but maybe we should be considering something a bit more purpose made if we're talking about putting it on a carrier.

I wish someone made a quality reproduction WWI Trench Knife.  
View Quote

Very important point -- though a bunch of people have suggested the SRK which does have a guard.

Most "fighting" and tactical knives are designed by people who know nothing about knife fighting or even how knives actually work when cutting the intended target. Lynn Thompson has talked extensively (and critically) about exactly this. All that said, a knife that you carry into combat is not necessarily intended as a knife for killing people. It is far more likely to be useful cutting open packages or string, or perhaps digging a hole or cutting through a tree root. It probably depends on the scenario.

The one thing I know for sure, I would want something strong and relatively inexpensive. Think Cold Steel SRK or Drop Forged Hunter, or perhaps a small ESEE. If I wanted it for killing I would go with a modern Kuhkri or a Cold Steel Trailmaster -- a lighter weapon might be a Recon Tanto.
Link Posted: 8/14/2020 1:53:59 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Maybe move the pistol mags to a 1st line belt, ditch two of the knives, I dunno.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It also looks well worn.
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top