Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 1/18/2023 12:20:29 AM EDT
Bear chased multiple people before catching a woman and a kid. Man shot bear as it ate them.

bear attack
Link Posted: 1/18/2023 12:21:57 AM EDT
[#1]
Damn...
Link Posted: 1/18/2023 12:24:05 AM EDT
[#2]
Not quite sure there is a reasonable sidearm that would quickly incapacitate a hungry, desperate Polar bear.

LAR grizz in 45 Win Mag?

Heavy 44 mag/454casull/450sw/50sw would get the job done, but not sure a woman would carry one.....
Link Posted: 1/18/2023 12:24:35 AM EDT
[#3]
Damn thats a shit way to go.  Getting eaten by something isnt a problem most modern humans ever have to worry about.
Link Posted: 1/18/2023 12:24:36 AM EDT
[#4]
I was sitting here thinking how a polar bear got loose in Wales (UK). Then I read the article. Didn’t know there was a Wales, Alaska.
Link Posted: 1/18/2023 12:25:29 AM EDT
[#5]
For a second, I thought "how the fuck did a polar bear end up in the UK and how did a 'man' shoot it?" Then I saw it was in Alaska.

*beat*
Link Posted: 1/18/2023 12:28:02 AM EDT
[#6]
Polar bears are not afraid of man and see us as prey.
Link Posted: 1/18/2023 12:28:29 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/18/2023 12:29:12 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Bumski..
Link Posted: 1/18/2023 12:29:19 AM EDT
[#9]
That's different.  My brother's sister-in-law lives there.  I'll make sure she knows.
Link Posted: 1/18/2023 12:29:36 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
For a second, I thought "how the fuck did a polar bear end up in the UK and how did a 'man' shoot it?" Then I saw it was in Alaska.

*beat*
View Quote

Bears can swim.

The question I had was why was he so angry with the Welsh?
Link Posted: 1/18/2023 12:34:49 AM EDT
[#11]
I graduated 06 or so in Anchorage. The very first gun I bought at 18 was an 870 tactical model, loaded it with 3" Black Magic Magnums...bears are terrifying.
Link Posted: 1/18/2023 12:35:01 AM EDT
[#12]
How common is it that they venture that close to a town ? Once there is it illegal to shoot it after it has chased several people ?

Link Posted: 1/18/2023 12:35:01 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Bears can swim.

View Quote
Who isn't angry with the Welsh?
Link Posted: 1/18/2023 12:35:09 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Not quite sure there is a reasonable sidearm that would quickly incapacitate a hungry, desperate Polar bear.

LAR grizz in 45 Win Mag?

Heavy 44 mag/454casull/450sw/50sw would get the job done, but not sure a woman would carry one.....
View Quote

There are people who love their G19 so much that they're offering up 9mims in the bear defense category because, "They're not Abrams tanks."
And, in cases where people peppered bears that decided to call off attacks they were able to continue - to run off and be killed later by Game Wardens, "it worked."
Which means it's a GOOD choice

It's birdshot for HD, or .22lr for carry.
There are better guns for the task.
9mm "is a marginal fight stopper" (for humans), for bears 5x the size, they're a dopey choice.
But people in GD get surprisingly pissy if you tell them 9mm is not a death ray.

The tacticool crowd are the fudds of the outdoors. There I said it.
Link Posted: 1/18/2023 12:37:55 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Bears can swim.

View Quote

Have you ever heard someone speak Welsh or read a sign that was printed in Welsh? It's an absolute abomination. At least Scots is just a cool brother of English...
Link Posted: 1/18/2023 12:40:16 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

*beat*
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

*beat*

I thought it was a "Beast of Exmoor" situation.  Some big cat got sighted on the Moors (in the 70's, IIRC), and the Brits had Marines out hunting it.

Ah:

Government involvement
In 1983, in response to increased reports of livestock death and sightings of the Beast, the Royal Marines staked out the Exmoor hills. Although some Marines claimed to have seen the Beast through night-vision equipment,[4] no shots were fired, partially because of the risk of the Marines' high-powered sniper rifle bullets passing straight through the creature's body and then causing injury to humans or livestock etc., and the number of attacks on livestock dwindled.

During the search the Marines' commanding officer was quoted as saying that their quarry behaved with high, almost human, intelligence and "always moved with surrounding cover amongst hedges and woods".[citation needed] Ultimately, the Marines were recalled from the field, due to concerns they might mistakenly shoot one of several reward-seeking amateur photographers thought to be on the same hunt.[3]

By 1987, the creature was connected to over 200 farm animal deaths. More recent attacks were reported in 1995 and 2001. The Ministry continued to study the reported sightings into the mid-1990s, before concluding that the Beast was either a hoax or myth and that the alleged sightings had been mistaken identifications of creatures native to the Exmoor area.[16]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beast_of_Exmoor
Link Posted: 1/18/2023 12:40:45 AM EDT
[#17]
I swear to God, I didn’t know they had fucking polar bears in England.  Didn’t know they even had regular old fucking bears.  Sounds as bad as Australia.
Link Posted: 1/18/2023 12:42:24 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

LAR grizz in 45 Win Mag?

View Quote
Back in the day, I read about a game wardan in Africa who shot a charging bull elephant in the forehead with a .458 Linebaugh. Or maybe a .475 -- it's been awhile. The bullet passed through the head and broke the spine. I'd think that ought to do for a polar bear.
Link Posted: 1/18/2023 12:43:08 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I swear to God, I didn’t know they had fucking polar bears in England.  Didn’t know they even had regular old fucking bears.  Sounds as bad as Australia.
View Quote

Oof.
Link Posted: 1/18/2023 12:44:32 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I was sitting here thinking how a polar bear got loose in Wales (UK). Then I read the article. Didn’t know there was a Wales, Alaska.
View Quote

This is what i spent too long pondering as well.
Link Posted: 1/18/2023 12:47:12 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
How common is it that they venture that close to a town ? Once there is it illegal to shoot it after it has chased several people ?

View Quote
Natives can kill anything they want anytime. Of course bears in town are an immediate threat that should be shot on sight. when I was in Pt Barrow I always looked around before venturing outside.

Link Posted: 1/18/2023 12:48:41 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

I have read that polar bears can actually follow man-tracks through the snow to get a tasty meal.  No other animal actually tracks humans.  In the polar regions, always watch your six.
Link Posted: 1/18/2023 12:49:06 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Back in the day, I read about a game wardan in Africa who shot a charging bull elephant in the forehead with a .458 Linebaugh. Or maybe a .475 -- it's been awhile. The bullet passed through the head and broke the spine. I'd think that ought to do for a polar bear.
View Quote

A heavy rifle will certainly do the trick.  You could probably get by just fine with a medium, though.  9.3X62 would probably be a good one and will fit in an action that is suitable for .30-06 (9.3X74R might be better for a breech-loader due to the rimmed cases).  Even something like .338-06 or .318 Westley Richards would probably be good; Bell ultimately favored the .318 (.330 bullet) for dangerous game in Africa, IIRC.  But yeah, going for a full heavy cartridge will certainly be good medicine for bears.
Link Posted: 1/18/2023 12:50:46 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

Thought the same thing.
Link Posted: 1/18/2023 12:52:42 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Bears can swim.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

*beat*

Bears can swim.

Thought it sounded like the people who kept calling about the car's warranty?
Link Posted: 1/18/2023 12:53:27 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

LAR grizz in 45 Win Mag?

View Quote

A 22 in the right spot would drop it. Heavier calibers allow more window of errors.
Link Posted: 1/18/2023 12:54:46 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Natives can kill anything they want anytime. Of course bears in town are an immediate threat that should be shot on sight. when I was in Pt Barrow I always looked around before venturing outside.

View Quote

It must have happened so fast because the article made it sound like the bear chased several people in town before coming up to the woman and child .
Link Posted: 1/18/2023 12:55:55 AM EDT
[#28]
I first saw this on Facebook. Very 1st comment was some cunt blaming Global Warming. That is absolutely the dumbest shit I have ever read.
Link Posted: 1/18/2023 1:01:13 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

It must have happened so fast because the article made it sound like the bear chased several people in town before coming up to the woman and child .
View Quote
I think they used to have bear alarms. They are so rare now that they probably don't bother, because global warming and all you know.

But yes it was probably fast, chase him, he runs inside, picks next  chasee.

eta Happened at 2:30 so it was probably twilight in Wales, not dark but certainly not broad daylight. Sun doesn't come up in Barrow for another couple weeks iirc.
Link Posted: 1/18/2023 1:03:27 AM EDT
[#30]
I worked at a zoo. Polar Bears are an Apex predator. No one fucked around around a polar bear. You were absolutely 100% food.

I got to sit in on a polar bear root canal. Thing was knocked out and the head vet let us touch the foot pads. They were hot and where bears shed most of their heat. Vet said that polar bears die easily from anesthesia so they had to keep it hovering around twilight sleep. There were 4 guys with slug guns in the room and the guy said if it woke up it would be like being inside a blender. Then he kicked us out.

Link Posted: 1/18/2023 1:03:35 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Damn thats a shit way to go.  Getting eaten by something isnt a problem most modern humans ever have to worry about.
View Quote

They make bear cages for the oil industry up on the north slope, they allow travel/safety in/out of doorways and even connections from building to building when needed..spendy, but a much better way to keep your loved ones safe/give them a chance to live...

Place I used to work at I built quite a few of them...

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 1/18/2023 1:03:42 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I graduated 06 or so in Anchorage. The very first gun I bought at 18 was an 870 tactical model, loaded it with 3" Black Magic Magnums...bears are terrifying.
View Quote

I would think some magnum slugs would work better.
Link Posted: 1/18/2023 1:04:56 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

A 22 in the right spot would drop it. Heavier calibers allow more window of errors.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

LAR grizz in 45 Win Mag?

Huge mistake right there.
Link Posted: 1/18/2023 1:05:39 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 1/18/2023 1:07:51 AM EDT
[#35]
How long before it is climate changes fault?  Or is that already in the article?
Link Posted: 1/18/2023 1:08:33 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

That is THE slug.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/18/2023 1:10:17 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I first saw this on Facebook. Very 1st comment was some cunt blaming Global Warming. That is absolutely the dumbest shit I have ever read.
View Quote

Well... there it is.  Agree on the tardness.

Hats off to the victims.
Link Posted: 1/18/2023 1:11:33 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

There are people who love their G19 so much that they're offering up 9mims in the bear defense category because, "They're not Abrams tanks."
And, in cases where people peppered bears that decided to call off attacks they were able to continue - to run off and be killed later by Game Wardens, "it worked."
Which means it's a GOOD choice

It's birdshot for HD, or .22lr for carry.
There are better guns for the task.
9mm "is a marginal fight stopper" (for humans), for bears 5x the size, they're a dopey choice.
But people in GD get surprisingly pissy if you tell them 9mm is not a death ray.

The tacticool crowd are the fudds of the outdoors. There I said it.
View Quote

The idea is not killing it so much as make it decide to do something else somewhere else..with that said, go grab that 454 casull or shotty with slugs and throw it to your 100 pound wife or teenage kid and have them save your life when a bear is on top of you..everybody involved will benefit from a fire arm that any person who touches it can reliably shoot and get decent hits with...more so than squeezing their eyes shut and mashing a trigger, because of the recoil...
Link Posted: 1/18/2023 1:17:27 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Who isn't angry with the Welsh?
View Quote

The Belsh.
Link Posted: 1/18/2023 1:19:21 AM EDT
[#40]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That is THE slug.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/169488/0CF7634B-4E47-47F1-8284-65C1426F5242_png-2676359.JPG

Cool. Never heard of them. Don't live in bear county either.
Link Posted: 1/18/2023 1:28:39 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Huge mistake right there.
View Quote
In the 30s Alaska Commercial Co sold a bunch of rifles up North in 222 Remington so that is what the Eskimos used, for everything. They hunted polar bears with dog teams, releasing the dogs once they got close who would run in circles around the bear while the hunter walked up to about 20 yds and spine shot the bear. I have seen this on film. Creepy walking up to the paralyzed bear with those beady black eyes watching him.
Link Posted: 1/18/2023 1:31:42 AM EDT
[#42]
Polar bears are the worst for humans.  Pure carnivores.
Link Posted: 1/18/2023 1:31:46 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote

Me two. That's the reason why I clicked on the link, to find out.
Link Posted: 1/18/2023 1:40:14 AM EDT
[#44]
People don’t think polar bears be like they is, but they do.
Link Posted: 1/18/2023 1:41:31 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote

That seems like an opportunity to me.
Would be fun to do some evolutionary retraining on polar bears' opinion of man.

ETA: I clicked thread in the hope it may have been Harry and Meghan that were eaten.
Imagine my disappointment.
Link Posted: 1/18/2023 1:44:31 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote
GD aside, to be fair I doubt a third of Americans know where either Wales is or that there are two. I guess we could add New South Wales to really confuse the Aussies.
Link Posted: 1/18/2023 1:50:21 AM EDT
[#47]
Here is a March 2020 article on the Ammoland website titled Handgun or Pistol Against Bear Attack: 93 cases, 97% Effective

As the article implies, there are 93 cases cited where a handgun successfully repelled a bear attack.

Per the article:

The criteria for inclusion in this study is a pistol had to be fired to defend against a bear or bears. If a handgun was not fired, the incident was not included. If the use of the handgun stopped the attack, it was a success whether the bear was killed immediately, or left the scene, as long as it stopped attacking.
View Quote

There's some interesting (albeit brief) stories, with links back to the original news accounts, where available..
Link Posted: 1/18/2023 1:52:18 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
GD aside, to be fair I doubt a third of Americans know where either Wales is or that there are two. I guess we could add New South Wales to really confuse the Aussies.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I know where the UK one is but I had never heard of the AK one.
Link Posted: 1/18/2023 1:59:41 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote

Churchill, Manitoba anyone?
Link Posted: 1/18/2023 2:02:03 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Have you ever heard someone speak Welsh or read a sign that was printed in Welsh? It's an absolute abomination. At least Scots is just a cool brother of English...
View Quote

Yeah, this would make everyone hate them:

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top