Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 1/18/2023 2:34:21 AM EDT
[#1]
The Inuit used to have a tradition that the only person allowed to wear trousers made from a polar bear hide was the man who killed it - with a spear.

So if you ever see an Inuit man wearing polar bear trousers know that this is one bad MF you don't wat to fool with.
Link Posted: 1/18/2023 2:53:45 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Churchill, Manitoba anyone?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
How common is it that they venture that close to a town ? Once there is it illegal to shoot it after it has chased several people ?

Churchill, Manitoba anyone?
Friends worked on an oil spill team in the late 70s, his job was to sit on a tower rig with a 375 H&H.

Polar Bear in Deadhorse, AK

Link Posted: 1/18/2023 4:27:33 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
In the 30s Alaska Commercial Co sold a bunch of rifles up North in 222 Remington so that is what the Eskimos used, for everything. They hunted polar bears with dog teams, releasing the dogs once they got close who would run in circles around the bear while the hunter walked up to about 20 yds and spine shot the bear. I have seen this on film. Creepy walking up to the paralyzed bear with those beady black eyes watching him.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Huge mistake right there.
In the 30s Alaska Commercial Co sold a bunch of rifles up North in 222 Remington so that is what the Eskimos used, for everything. They hunted polar bears with dog teams, releasing the dogs once they got close who would run in circles around the bear while the hunter walked up to about 20 yds and spine shot the bear. I have seen this on film. Creepy walking up to the paralyzed bear with those beady black eyes watching him.
There is videos out there of a fella using a 22-250 and two dogs to hunt polar bear.

Gets very close to the bear and most of the time only needs two shots.
Link Posted: 1/18/2023 4:50:34 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Damn thats a shit way to go.  Getting eaten by something isnt a problem most modern humans ever have to worry about.
View Quote

It’s that’s time of the year I binge a few docs about the beast of the Gevaudan and other wolves attacks. I just discovered that in my little town that was a village back then, 4 people (mainly kids) were killed and eaten by wolves in between 1748 and 1756. In the whole region, the number of victim was about 80.  And this is not in gevaudan but a totally different case
Link Posted: 1/18/2023 5:45:03 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

There are people who love their G19 so much that they're offering up 9mims in the bear defense category because, "They're not Abrams tanks."
And, in cases where people peppered bears that decided to call off attacks they were able to continue - to run off and be killed later by Game Wardens, "it worked."
Which means it's a GOOD choice

It's birdshot for HD, or .22lr for carry.
There are better guns for the task.
9mm "is a marginal fight stopper" (for humans), for bears 5x the size, they're a dopey choice.
But people in GD get surprisingly pissy if you tell them 9mm is not a death ray.

The tacticool crowd are the fudds of the outdoors. There I said it.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/18/2023 5:48:47 AM EDT
[#6]
WAIT,  I was assured by Lurch and The Algorical that all the Polar bears would be dead by now
due to the climate catastrophe ..
so obviously this is Fake News

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/18/2023 5:58:38 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Have you ever heard someone speak Welsh or read a sign that was printed in Welsh? It's an absolute abomination. At least Scots is just a cool brother of English...

Yeah, this would make everyone hate them:

https://d3dqioy2sca31t.cloudfront.net/Projects/cms/production/000/030/195/large/2441337b9b2e32a847848bd51e6d4180/article-wales-llanfair-railway-station-sign.jpg

uh..Welsh is probably the true Mother tongue of the Britons...the Romans bastardized it while the Scot were still grunting and pointing.

that said,  my Tad, Nain and Taid and all the Modryb's and Ewythr's spoke it, I never understood a fucking word..
Link Posted: 1/18/2023 6:17:04 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

There are people who love their G19 so much that they're offering up 9mims in the bear defense category because, "They're not Abrams tanks."
And, in cases where people peppered bears that decided to call off attacks they were able to continue - to run off and be killed later by Game Wardens, "it worked."

9mm "is a marginal fight stopper" (for humans), for bears 5x the size, they're a dopey choice.
But people in GD get surprisingly pissy if you tell them 9mm is not a death ray

View Quote
Based.
Link Posted: 1/18/2023 6:45:04 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

They make bear cages for the oil industry up on the north slope, they allow travel/safety in/out of doorways and even connections from building to building when needed..spendy, but a much better way to keep your loved ones safe/give them a chance to live...

Place I used to work at I built quite a few of them...

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/404934/IMG_0309__2__jpeg-2676356.JPG

View Quote

That reminded of something. Do they actually pay guys to sit in towers and provide overwatch like in that Liam Neeson movie The Grey?
Link Posted: 1/18/2023 7:18:58 AM EDT
[#10]
Kato is from Wales...

but Stoya killed the bear.

Link Posted: 1/18/2023 7:22:48 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/18/2023 7:26:43 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I was sitting here thinking how a polar bear got loose in Wales (UK). Then I read the article. Didn’t know there was a Wales, Alaska.
View Quote

I was wondering how it made it that far south... Glad I'm not the only one.
Link Posted: 1/18/2023 7:30:23 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

A heavy rifle will certainly do the trick.  You could probably get by just fine with a medium, though.  9.3X62 would probably be a good one and will fit in an action that is suitable for .30-06 (9.3X74R might be better for a breech-loader due to the rimmed cases).  Even something like .338-06 or .318 Westley Richards would probably be good; Bell ultimately favored the .318 (.330 bullet) for dangerous game in Africa, IIRC.  But yeah, going for a full heavy cartridge will certainly be good medicine for bears.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Back in the day, I read about a game wardan in Africa who shot a charging bull elephant in the forehead with a .458 Linebaugh. Or maybe a .475 -- it's been awhile. The bullet passed through the head and broke the spine. I'd think that ought to do for a polar bear.

A heavy rifle will certainly do the trick.  You could probably get by just fine with a medium, though.  9.3X62 would probably be a good one and will fit in an action that is suitable for .30-06 (9.3X74R might be better for a breech-loader due to the rimmed cases).  Even something like .338-06 or .318 Westley Richards would probably be good; Bell ultimately favored the .318 (.330 bullet) for dangerous game in Africa, IIRC.  But yeah, going for a full heavy cartridge will certainly be good medicine for bears.
He was shooting a revolver.
Link Posted: 1/18/2023 7:32:58 AM EDT
[#14]
The life lesson here is:

In Alaska, each time you step out your front door..... you become part of its food chain.

Link Posted: 1/18/2023 7:56:01 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
The life lesson here is:

In Alaska, each time you step out your front door..... you become part of its food chain.

View Quote
It's like a snowy version of Australia.
Link Posted: 1/18/2023 7:57:27 AM EDT
[#16]
That is terrible.

I will say however if I lived ANYWHERE in Alaska other than in the city portions of Anchorage or Juneau I would always have a large caliber handgun on me-period.  Hell I have land in country in the Ozarks where the bears are puppies compared to a polar bear and I carry a 44 mag on my hip all the time.
Link Posted: 1/18/2023 9:54:30 AM EDT
[#17]
Big cats are often about equal or even smaller than their prey so they have to make sure what they intend to eat is either dead or unlikely to get away before they start to eat it. They will generally crush the throat and cut off air supply, often biting into blood vessels in the throat so their prey usually dies quickly.

Bears are often larger than their prey so they can usually hold it down while eating it - no need to kill it first. It's going to die somewhere in the process anyway.
Link Posted: 1/18/2023 10:30:05 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
The life lesson here is:

View Quote

Depends on where you live in Alaska.  Once your halfway past or so down the Aleutian chain you are pretty safe, unless your drunk and fall in the water.
Link Posted: 1/18/2023 10:37:39 AM EDT
[#19]
Terrible way to go. RIP
Link Posted: 1/18/2023 10:49:49 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Have you ever heard someone speak Welsh or read a sign that was printed in Welsh? It's an absolute abomination. At least Scots is just a cool brother of English...
View Quote

Yep, got to speaking with a polite fellow in London once. Could not understand him well at all and could not figure out why. Finally asked him where he was from, turns out he was from Wales. A few Scots can be a challenge depending on where they are from and how much they and you have had to drink
Link Posted: 1/18/2023 10:54:17 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

But people in GD get surprisingly pissy if you tell them 9mm is not a death ray.

View Quote

Hot loaded 45 Long Colt would be the bare minumum I should think.  If a 45ACP was all I had, I would empty it into bear, but realistically we are talking 10MM/41 Magnum or better.
Link Posted: 1/18/2023 10:57:21 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Friends worked on an oil spill team in the late 70s, his job was to sit on a tower rig with a 375 H&H.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hc54vf8G2ew
View All Quotes
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hc54vf8G2ew

Bear just wanted a Coke.

Quoted:

It’s that’s time of the year I binge a few docs about the beast of the Gevaudan and other wolves attacks. I just discovered that in my little town that was a village back then, 4 people (mainly kids) were killed and eaten by wolves in between 1748 and 1756. In the whole region, the number of victim was about 80.  And this is not in gevaudan but a totally different case

Brotherhood of the Wolf is one of my favorite movies.
Link Posted: 1/18/2023 11:08:23 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I was sitting here thinking how a polar bear got loose in Wales (UK). Then I read the article. Didn’t know there was a Wales, Alaska.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/18/2023 11:12:03 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Hot loaded 45 Long Colt would be the bare minumum I should think.  If a 45ACP was all I had, I would empty it into bear, but realistically we are talking 10MM/41 Magnum or better.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

10mm is a very popular choice for people up there. A Glock 20 with 15 rounds of heavy 10mm is easy to carry and will stop most anything on this continent. It’s the logical choice besides wheelguns
Link Posted: 1/18/2023 11:13:10 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

Then there is the native woman with the Enfield in Churchill.

I looked for the video, but it is old footage, I remember seeing it as a kid.

They have lots of Polar Bear incidents in Churchill.
Link Posted: 1/18/2023 11:15:03 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

.222 Remington didn't appear until 1950. Maybe it was a different chambering?
Link Posted: 1/18/2023 11:42:07 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

You win the internet for today good sir.
Link Posted: 1/18/2023 11:44:24 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

For a second, I thought global warming was real.
Link Posted: 1/18/2023 11:44:40 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote
Lol. You're not alone.
Link Posted: 1/18/2023 11:52:10 AM EDT
[#30]
Food chain scarey...
Link Posted: 1/18/2023 11:55:06 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Who isn't angry with the Welsh?
View Quote

My first thought was “Did the bear find them tasteless and unseasoned?”.

Link Posted: 1/18/2023 11:57:47 AM EDT
[#32]
May they RIP.  

When I read Wales, I was thinking of the nation in the SW of England and was thinking, WTF is a polar bear doing down there?
Link Posted: 1/18/2023 11:58:24 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

It's that's time of the year I binge a few docs about the beast of the Gevaudan and other wolves attacks. I just discovered that in my little town that was a village back then, 4 people (mainly kids) were killed and eaten by wolves in between 1748 and 1756. In the whole region, the number of victim was about 80.  And this is not in gevaudan but a totally different case
View Quote
Been people attacked by wolves in this area.
More wolves in the area so they are coming into the villages.
Link Posted: 1/18/2023 11:58:32 AM EDT
[#34]
What I had heard was that the bear and this single mom met on Tinder and decided to meet up. She brought her son along and mentioned that he'd always come first.  Then she asked the bear if he made at least 150k a year. Thats when he bear just fucking lost it
Link Posted: 1/18/2023 11:58:42 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

That reminded of something. Do they actually pay guys to sit in towers and provide overwatch like in that Liam Neeson movie The Grey?
View Quote

Not that I personally know of other than maybe when the pipeline itself was built.....I do believe they had hired shooters to protect everyone from bears/wolves any other danger out there....But that was in the 70's...
Link Posted: 1/18/2023 12:03:37 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
That is terrible.

I will say however if I lived ANYWHERE in Alaska other than in the city portions of Anchorage or Juneau I would always have a large caliber handgun on me-period.  Hell I have land in country in the Ozarks where the bears are puppies compared to a polar bear and I carry a 44 mag on my hip all the time.
View Quote

Uhm, we've had bears in anchorage for as long back as I can remember..both black and browns....troopers/F&G are pretty good about getting them back out in the wilds away from people..

Attachment Attached File

https://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm?adfg=livingwithbears.abchome
Link Posted: 1/18/2023 12:05:29 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

Some guy at a wolf preserve in New Jersey of all places told me and the small crowd I work with many years ago that wolves don’t attack humans. I’m sick of all these horseshit lies in the world.  They do a similar thing with bears and guns here.  “Bear spray is more effective” what they really should be saying is “we value the lives of bears more than we value the lives of people”.
Link Posted: 1/18/2023 12:08:33 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I graduated 06 or so in Anchorage. The very first gun I bought at 18 was an 870 tactical model, loaded it with 3" Black Magic Magnums...bears are terrifying.
View Quote

Wanted to look that one up as I'd never heard of it. I got wary though as I was typing and wasn't too sure what was on the other side when I hit "Enter". Thankfully, it showed me the ammo and not.....something else.

And holy hell. That's a weird-looking slug. But I guess it serves a purpose as there's a picture of a bear on the box.
Link Posted: 1/18/2023 12:09:38 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Not that I personally know of other than maybe when the pipeline itself was built.....I do believe they had hired shooters to protect everyone from bears/wolves any other danger out there....But that was in the 70's...
View Quote

Gotcha
Link Posted: 1/18/2023 12:10:26 PM EDT
[#40]
I used to fly for a company called Cape Smythe Air Service up there. Lived in Barrow, Deadhorse, Kotz, and Nome. During that time in Nome I'd fly to Wales regularly. 2 memories that stuck with me about Wales...

1. I did my best to not watch a buddy of mine take a shit on the runway at Wales once. He had to go, code 5, touching cotton, full fecal emergency. He decided the approach end of the runway was his most private option because it was on the backside of the plane away from our village agent. That turd of his was frozen on the runway and viewable for weeks after that. Made its own little snowdrift and everything.

2. As a pilot up there you're used to seeing the remains of aircraft wreckages. They're everywhere. One of them was in Wales. It was the remains of a Cape Smythe Piper Pa31-T3-1040, a very rare aircraft. Only 24 ever built. It happened when a pilot of ours was attempting an illegal GPS-BS approach. We did these approaches a lot and we were good at them. We'd typically let down to 50-100' over the water by the radar altimeter and just truck it in the last mile or so until we saw the runway. Well this guy was doing that but visibility was shit. Less than 1/4 mile. He can't see in front of him but he sees the end of the runway passing under him to the left. He's got gear and flaps down and he makes a play for the runway, overshoots it to the left, attempts to correct it back to the right but way over-corrects. Stalls it, digs his right wing tip into the tundra and cart-wheels the aircraft across the runway. He and his passenger were both fine. They walked away from it but the aircraft was a total loss.

I had always seen the fuselage of the aircraft sitting over by the machine shed at the end of the runway in Wales but the pilot had long since departed the company.

Fast forward a few years and one day I'm flying out of Nome goin to Wales. The weather there is down but it's good enough for me to get in with the GPS-BS approach. I'm flying a T3-1040 and I have one passenger onboard (with a bunch of mail and cargo). So I have this guy sitting up front with me so I can pack the cabin and belly pod to the max. I've even got him on headsets so we can chat. Turns out he's an itinerant school teacher.
Then he says, "been quite a while since I've been to Wales. Last time I was here the plane crashed."
I spin my head around "I'm sorry, come again? You survived a plane crash?"
"Yeah, at Wales."
"What company was that?"
"Cape Smythe."
"You mean to tell me you were the passenger on the 1040 that crashed there a few years ago?"
"Yep. I didn't know what it was called but it was just like this plane."
"So the last time you flew to Wales it was with this company, in a plane identical to this, on a day with weather identical to today's... and the plane crashed... yet, here you are doing it again."
"Yeah, I guess so."
"You've got the biggest brass balls of anyone I've ever met."
"Well, you're not planning on crashing, are you?"
"Well, I wasn't, but now I'm not so sure."

I flew that fucking approach tighter than any approach I've flown before or since.
Link Posted: 1/18/2023 12:20:25 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Not quite sure there is a reasonable sidearm that would quickly incapacitate a hungry, desperate Polar bear.

LAR grizz in 45 Win Mag?

Heavy 44 mag/454casull/450sw/50sw would get the job done, but not sure a woman would carry one.....
View Quote

If the options include either carry a big handgun or you and your child getting eaten, carrying the gun would be the better of the two.
Link Posted: 1/18/2023 12:24:21 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Cool. Never heard of them. Don't live in bear county either.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would think some magnum slugs would work better.

That is THE slug.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/169488/0CF7634B-4E47-47F1-8284-65C1426F5242_png-2676359.JPG

Cool. Never heard of them. Don't live in bear county either.

They make some pretty potent 12gauge slugs now.

I was just thinking about that this morning, if I lived in AK, the heaviest thing I have against an angry brownie or big griz would be my 870 loaded with slugs and I still wouldn't feel overgunned.

Link Posted: 1/18/2023 12:25:24 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
How common is it that they venture that close to a town ? Once there is it illegal to shoot it after it has chased several people ?

View Quote

Bears in general don’t GAF and will go wherever they think food can be had.
Garbage dumps or people; bear don’t care.
Link Posted: 1/18/2023 12:26:13 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I used to fly for a company called Cape Smythe Air Service up there. Lived in Barrow, Deadhorse, Kotz, and Nome. During that time in Nome I'd fly to Wales regularly. 2 memories that stuck with me about Wales...

1. I did my best to not watch a buddy of mine take a shit on the runway at Wales once. He had to go, code 5, touching cotton, full fecal emergency. He decided the approach end of the runway was his most private option because it was on the backside of the plane away from our village agent. That turd of his was frozen on the runway and viewable for weeks after that. Made its own little snowdrift and everything.

2. As a pilot up there you're used to seeing the remains of aircraft wreckages. They're everywhere. One of them was in Wales. It was the remains of a Cape Smythe Piper Pa31-T3-1040, a very rare aircraft. Only 24 ever built. It happened when a pilot of ours was attempting an illegal GPS-BS approach. We did these approaches a lot and we were good at them. We'd typically let down to 50-100' over the water by the radar altimeter and just truck it in the last mile or so until we saw the runway. Well this guy was doing that but visibility was shit. Less than 1/4 mile. He can't see in front of him but he sees the end of the runway passing under him to the left. He's got gear and flaps down and he makes a play for the runway, overshoots it to the left, attempts to correct it back to the right but way over-corrects. Stalls it, digs his right wing tip into the tundra and cart-wheels the aircraft across the runway. He and his passenger were both fine. They walked away from it but the aircraft was a total loss.

I had always seen the fuselage of the aircraft sitting over by the machine shed at the end of the runway in Wales but the pilot had long since departed the company.

Fast forward a few years and one day I'm flying out of Nome goin to Wales. The weather there is down but it's good enough for me to get in with the GPS-BS approach. I'm flying a T3-1040 and I have one passenger onboard (with a bunch of mail and cargo). So I have this guy sitting up front with me so I can pack the cabin and belly pod to the max. I've even got him on headsets so we can chat. Turns out he's an itinerant school teacher.
Then he says, "been quite a while since I've been to Wales. Last time I was here the plane crashed."
I spin my head around "I'm sorry, come again? You survived a plane crash?"
"Yeah, at Wales."
"What company was that?"
"Cape Smythe."
"You mean to tell me you were the passenger on the 1040 that crashed there a few years ago?"
"Yep. I didn't know what it was called but it was just like this plane."
"So the last time you flew to Wales it was with this company, in a plane identical to this, on a day with weather identical to today's... and the plane crashed... yet, here you are doing it again."
"Yeah, I guess so."
"You've got the biggest brass balls of anyone I've ever met."
"Well, you're not planning on crashing, are you?"
"Well, I wasn't, but now I'm not so sure."

I flew that fucking approach tighter than any approach I've flown before or since.
View Quote

You've got a way of writing/storytelling that really grabs ones attention.  Cool stories!
Link Posted: 1/18/2023 12:26:23 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

.222 Remington didn't appear until 1950. Maybe it was a different chambering?
View Quote

Yes, Alaska Commercial (I used to contract to do work for them my buddy still does it now) used to carry piles of firearms and ammo,  they always stocked the common stuff people wanted plus a lot of "new" cartridge/firearms..Alaska commercial had been  one of the biggest fur trading stores/company in Alaska, even back when it was all Russian land/country/stores....There is a long list of big companies that were from the Alaska commercial banner such as kohls, Nordstroms, bagdad tires....NC machinery..and many more...
Link Posted: 1/18/2023 12:31:52 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

They make bear cages for the oil industry up on the north slope, they allow travel/safety in/out of doorways and even connections from building to building when needed..spendy, but a much better way to keep your loved ones safe/give them a chance to live...

Place I used to work at I built quite a few of them...

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/404934/IMG_0309__2__jpeg-2676356.JPG

View Quote

Not all the facilities had those, but the ones close to water and polar bear dens sure did.
Link Posted: 1/18/2023 12:32:45 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Yes, Alaska Commercial (I used to contract to do work for them my buddy still does it now) used to carry piles of firearms and ammo,  they always stocked the common stuff people wanted plus a lot of "new" cartridge/firearms..Alaska commercial had been  one of the biggest fur trading stores/company in Alaska, even back when it was all Russian land/country/stores....There is a long list of big companies that were from the Alaska commercial banner such as kohls, Nordstroms, bagdad tires....NC machinery..and many more...
View Quote
Every once in awhile my dad will slip and say "Let's go to NC Store" and same with some elders.
Kinda of dates him and the elders.

Once in a great while I will call it NC Store.
Link Posted: 1/18/2023 12:35:11 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote

I never saw a bear guard in a tower, they generally travel with the people needing protection and bitch that it's too cold the whole time.
Link Posted: 1/18/2023 12:36:31 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Polar bears are not afraid of man and see us as prey.
View Quote

I forget if I saw it here or at an OTC talk, but there's a neat/frightening video clip of a polar bear stalking an enclosed oil rig, somewhere near Prudhoe.  It figured out it could hide under a staircase and be invisible to the tasty things that might come out of that moving wall.  

(EDIT:  Must've been OTC.  The Conoco guy was talking about how they installed those anti-bear enclosures that SnowRider was talking about, as a result of events like that.)

Thankfully, the oil company wasn't stupid, had CCTV all around the rig, and ambushed Mr. Bear before he could ambush Mr. Rig Hand.  I dunno if they destroyed it or darted/relocated it.  

I think Svalbard infamously has the restrictions that you're not allowed to camp without trip flares and a rifle above .30, something like that.

Glock 20 and 200 grain hardcast would, I'd think, at least deter Mr. Bear, if not be a stopper, in the bwana sense of the word.  A lot easier to carry everywhere than an 870 with slugs.
Link Posted: 1/18/2023 12:41:52 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

I forget if I saw it here or at an OTC talk, but there's a neat/frightening video clip of a polar bear stalking an enclosed oil rig, somewhere near Prudhoe.  It figured out it could hide under a staircase and be invisible to the tasty things that might come out of that moving wall.  

Thankfully, the oil company wasn't stupid, had CCTV all around the rig, and ambushed Mr. Bear before he could ambush Mr. Rig Hand.  I dunno if they destroyed it or darted/relocated it.  

I think Svalbard infamously has the restrictions that you're not allowed to camp without trip flares and a rifle above .30, something like that.

Glock 20 and 200 grain hardcast would, I'd think, at least deter Mr. Bear, if not be a stopper, in the bwana sense of the word.  A lot easier to carry everywhere than an 870 with slugs.
View Quote

They're known to hang out under the buildings, it's usually warned about during site specific orientations.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top