Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 27
Link Posted: 4/7/2023 8:52:37 AM EDT
[#1]
A couple years ago I had a loud knock on the door a little after midnight. After looking through the peep hole and seeing the officer, I opened the door, but forgot I was still holding a pistol. He was cool about it though and said everyone should be armed while answering the door that late. I guess it could have ended poorly but I'm sure there are thousands of similar situations for every situation like that one that went horribly, but this is the only one to make the news. Its like how millions of defensive uses of guns are not reported but every malicious one is.

Apparently a neighbor called to report someone with a flashlight looking around my house. I had just been out there replacing the pre filter on our water system lol.
Link Posted: 4/7/2023 8:52:45 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
So, what if it wasn't the wrong address? Cop announces that the police are at your front door and you answer with a gun in your hand?

You're a fucking retard.
View Quote

Just keep making excuses for the incompetence.  The houses are clearly labelled and they negligently murdered the deceased.

They even had time to un-fuck the situation when there was no answer and they called dispatch to call back the reporting party.
Link Posted: 4/7/2023 8:52:47 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

1000% agree
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Whether they were wrong to shoot will depend.

But its a FACT that they went to the WRONG house.

It is a shit situation but it STARTED with Police fucking up by attending the wrong address.

1000% agree

Dont know if you are a cop but does qualified immunity apply if the officer fucks up by walking past a clearly marked number and misreads it ?
Link Posted: 4/7/2023 8:53:10 AM EDT
[#4]
Am i in before one of the usual TBL is in here defending the cops?

Lol, of course not.

A few bad apples.
Link Posted: 4/7/2023 8:53:16 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Should be death penalty.

You went to wrong house and murdered someone simply because you saw them legitimately carrying a gun in their own house at night.

No excuse.
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 4/7/2023 8:53:47 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Likewise checking the house is the correct house ?
View Quote

Yup. Cops were wrong going to the wrong address.

But people were ridiculing what happened at the front door.

Link Posted: 4/7/2023 8:55:23 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Just keep making excuses for the incompetence.  The houses are clearly labelled and they negligently murdered the deceased.

They even had time to un-fuck the situation when there was no answer and they called dispatch to call back the reporting party.
View Quote

I've said the cops were wrong several times regarding the house.
Link Posted: 4/7/2023 8:56:29 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

So look out a window?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Sure, because NO WAY would the bad guys yell "police" to get you to open up so they can rob you.

So look out a window?

Or not. I'm not opening shit either way.
Link Posted: 4/7/2023 8:57:12 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Dont know if you are a cop but does qualified immunity apply if the officer fucks up by walking past a clearly marked number and misreads it ?
View Quote

I'm not sure which district NM is in, but CO and other states have had ruling concerning "officer created peril", as in did the officers actions force the resulting use of force.

I don't know how it would be applied here.
Link Posted: 4/7/2023 8:57:33 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I've said the cops were wrong several times regarding the house.
View Quote

They were also wrong for shooting an innocent man for answering his own door.
Link Posted: 4/7/2023 8:57:45 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Likewise checking the house is the correct house ?

I could understand your point of view if private ownership of guns did not exist. Then, a cop seeing a guy opening a door with a gun could be ASSUMED to have malicious intent / pose a threat.

But it is NOT unusual to possess a gun in the US. And being that they are for self defense - it is not unreasonable to answer the door armed at that time of night.

Link Posted: 4/7/2023 8:57:47 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

So look out a window?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Sure, because NO WAY would the bad guys yell "police" to get you to open up so they can rob you.

So look out a window?

Don’t look out a window either.  That’ll get you killed too.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Killing_of_Atatiana_Jefferson

Body camera footage[21] released by the Fort Worth Police Department shows that two officers had walked quietly around the side of the home.[22] Officer Aaron Dean had walked into Jefferson's backyard.[14] Seeing Jefferson in the window of her home, the officer yelled "put your hands up! Show me your hands!" and then fired a single shot through Jefferson's window.[1][14]

Describing the video, the BBC wrote that Dean fired "within seconds" of seeing Jefferson.[4] The BBC also wrote that the footage does not appear to show police identifying themselves or whether she was armed.[4]

Lot of good it does you when you’re dead that the cop got convicted of manslaughter.

Don’t answer the door.  But if you do, make sure you check with cameras prior to answering and make sure you have no visible weapons.
Link Posted: 4/7/2023 8:58:10 AM EDT
[#13]
If I cant SEE who is knocking on the door, I dont answer.

How do you not SEE uniformed Police as being who is knocking?
Link Posted: 4/7/2023 8:58:14 AM EDT
[#14]
You hardly ever get the news article where police go to the right address.
Link Posted: 4/7/2023 8:58:29 AM EDT
[#15]
Google.  Most of the time Google only gets you close and most of the time the house numbers can't be seen.
Link Posted: 4/7/2023 8:59:16 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Opening your door with a gun in your hand when the police are knocking is full stop retarded.

They were responding to a domestic, I can almost gaurantee they weren't tapping on the door. Likely pounding on it and yelling police.

But yeah, attack my geographic location, moron.
View Quote

And if you are the homeowner that was NOT beating your wife, why the fuck would the police be POUNDING AND YELLING on your door at 11:30 at night?  

Link Posted: 4/7/2023 9:00:01 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I could understand your point of view if private ownership of guns did not exist. Then, a cop seeing a guy opening a door with a gun could be ASSUMED to have malicious intent / pose a threat.

But it is NOT unusual to possess a gun in the US. And being that they are for self defense - it is not unreasonable to answer the door armed at that time of night.
View Quote

The cops went to the wrong house, that's a given.

But they obviously didn't believe they did at the time. They were responding to a domestic violence call, door wasn't opening, then when it does there's someone with a gun.

This wasn't a UPS driver knocking on the door to simply drop off a package.
Link Posted: 4/7/2023 9:02:54 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

Why answer the door at all?

You gonna answer the door to an unknown number of people at nearly midnight? Even armed that’s dumb.

You may see one person outside, but there could be two more waiting off the side to rob you(if it wasn’t actually the police).
Link Posted: 4/7/2023 9:03:15 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Morons

What are the lessons to be learned as a homeowner?

Don’t answer the door?

Did dispatch call the dead guy or the correct house?

View Quote

If possible you can verify it is the popo, uniforms, marked car in street etc.  

If you don’t have visibility and are concerned about a home invasion by people claiming to be police you can call 911 to verify and maybe get some info as to why they are there and provide feedback like they are at the wrong house.  

While answering the door with a gun may be gut instinct, it not only puts you at risk in situations like this but puts you at a disadvantage if something really was going down. If that was the case you shouldn’t be opening the door to begin with.  I can’t think of a scenario where it is the right call, at least not with it displayed. Once again, if you feel the need to do that, you shouldn’t be opening the door.

You don’t have to open the door. I can’t think of a scenario where I am opening the door.  If it’s so important they can call me.
Link Posted: 4/7/2023 9:03:45 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

And if you are the homeowner that was NOT beating your wife, why the fuck would the police be POUNDING AND YELLING on your door at 11:30 at night?  

View Quote

So you're concerned about intruders given the time of day, enough that you grab a gun. Then you open the door without checking to see who it is?

I guess the homeowner was just looking to "get it on", right?
Link Posted: 4/7/2023 9:04:38 AM EDT
[#21]
RIP
Link Posted: 4/7/2023 9:04:45 AM EDT
[#22]
         Unless there is a bodycam video of them announcing themselves as the police I don't believe it.  I had a cop a few years ago ring my doorbell around 1am and she never announced she was a cop until she saw my shotgun through the glass door.  I had it in one hand and not pointed at anything which I guess is the reason I didn't get shot.
Link Posted: 4/7/2023 9:05:10 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
This is one of the reasons we need to end qualified immunity. It’s a license to do whatever you want to do and not be responsible for your own stupidity. It needs to end.
View Quote

That’s not how qualified immunity works, that’s not how any of this works.
Link Posted: 4/7/2023 9:06:16 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

But they obviously didn't believe they did at the time. They were responding to a domestic violence call, door wasn't opening, then when it does there's someone with a gun.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Instead of chanting "TBL TBL TBL".

Just say they fucked up and move on.  Gives you more credibility.  

Next will be Cop In City to come in here defending the murder of an innocent civilian.
Link Posted: 4/7/2023 9:06:58 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
That's horrible.  So why the mix up of the address?
View Quote

They received no instruction on Code Napoleon (Napoleonic Code).  Odd #s addresses on one side, even # addresses on the other.  As the # starts and you visually look up the street, even #s will be on the right and odd #s on the left.  I blame their grade school and police academy for this failure.

BTW, popo skool didn't teach us that either.
Link Posted: 4/7/2023 9:07:28 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Morons

What are the lessons to be learned as a homeowner?

Don’t answer the door?

Did dispatch call the dead guy or the correct house?

View Quote

Get a ring so you know whose at your door. Respond appropriately
Link Posted: 4/7/2023 9:09:31 AM EDT
[#27]
Mighty fine.
Link Posted: 4/7/2023 9:10:08 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Next will be Cop In City to come in here defending the murder of an innocent civilian.
View Quote

I should just chant acab like you?
Link Posted: 4/7/2023 9:11:29 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

And that cop was wrong. He was prowling through a backyard after sneaking back there and not announcing himself.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Didn't that get a woman shot by an officer?

And that cop was wrong. He was prowling through a backyard after sneaking back there and not announcing himself.

Right or wrong, she still got killed by looking out the window. Consequences for the officer after the fact don't matter to her when she's just as dead as the guy in this case.
Link Posted: 4/7/2023 9:11:51 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Idiots. Lots of them wear a uniform.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/7/2023 9:12:23 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Right or wrong, she still got killed by looking out the window. Consequences for the officer after the fact don't matter to her when she's just as dead as the guy in this case.
View Quote

So what's your position? Cop fucked up and is going (or went) to prison.

What should happen?
Link Posted: 4/7/2023 9:14:02 AM EDT
[#32]
bAcK tHe BlUe
Link Posted: 4/7/2023 9:15:03 AM EDT
[#33]
Shoot the guy and then say "DROP THE GUN!!! STOP RESISTING"
Link Posted: 4/7/2023 9:15:14 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
So, what if it wasn't the wrong address? Cop announces that the police are at your front door and you answer with a gun in your hand?

You're a fucking retard.
View Quote
They probably called back to the correct address.
Link Posted: 4/7/2023 9:15:14 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

That’s not how qualified immunity works, that’s not how any of this works.
View Quote

if they do stupid things even in error...it should be on them. they should have to get professional insurance like a dr. sorry but not sorry. Qualified immunity is BS and needs to end
Link Posted: 4/7/2023 9:15:58 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I'm not sure which district NM is in, but CO and other states have had ruling concerning "officer created peril", as in did the officers actions force the resulting use of force.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nearest thing that New Mexixo has to that is ......

Attachment Attached File

I am still curious whether QI applies where Police misread a clearly marked house number and by doing so, create a perilous situation.
Link Posted: 4/7/2023 9:16:04 AM EDT
[#37]
Too many cops are mods here, so I’ll withhold my comments on the matter.

Link Posted: 4/7/2023 9:16:25 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 4/7/2023 9:17:25 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Opening your door with a gun in your hand when the police are knocking is full stop retarded.

They were responding to a domestic, I can almost gaurantee they weren't tapping on the door. Likely pounding on it and yelling police.

But yeah, attack my geographic location, moron.
View Quote

Quoted the CoC violation.
Let’s see what happens.
Link Posted: 4/7/2023 9:18:24 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
This is one of the reasons we need to end qualified immunity. It’s a license to do whatever you want to do and not be responsible for your own stupidity. It needs to end.
View Quote

NM did strip Qualified immunity , so these officers may have just become the first major test of how that plays out. Since it’s state level thing it mostly removes the civil protection from the agency with a 2mil cap.
Link Posted: 4/7/2023 9:18:57 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

What should happen?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What should happen?

My position is that looking out the window to see if it's the cops banging on your door, as you suggested, is not a safe suggestion, and may get you killed even if it is actually cops at the door.
Link Posted: 4/7/2023 9:20:19 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're a fucking retard.

Nevermind that him and his wife could have been sleeping and just heard a bunch of racket.... the retard in this story isn't who you think it is.
Link Posted: 4/7/2023 9:20:37 AM EDT
[#43]
Bankrupt the cops and their families. Then hang them in the street.
Link Posted: 4/7/2023 9:21:25 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Never heard that out of me but trust me that some of you guys are pushing me towards it every day.
Link Posted: 4/7/2023 9:21:41 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote

This is the "oops my bad, blonde moment" Amanda Geiger defense.

Aside from going in the house, I don't see this any different.

There are more guns than people in this country, the mere presence of a gun shouldn't give cops the freedom to start shooting law abiding people in their own home or anywhere else.
Link Posted: 4/7/2023 9:22:49 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

My position is that looking out the window to see if it's the cops banging on your door, as you suggested, is not a safe suggestion, and may get you killed even if it is actually cops at the door.
View Quote

Because they are the same situation at all, right.
Link Posted: 4/7/2023 9:23:17 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Nevermind that him and his wife could have been sleeping and just heard a bunch of racket.... the retard in this story isn't who you think it is.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're a fucking retard.

When it comes to retarded reasoning I can only say this -

When you police a population that has the right to possess arms, you have to factor that into the equation.
Link Posted: 4/7/2023 9:24:25 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

You don't have the ability to see who is at your door?

You want the police to be wrong because you have a bias.

ETA What makes you believe these cops weren't uniformed and driving marked cars?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cops only travel in marked cars? Good to know!!!

You don't have the ability to see who is at your door?

You want the police to be wrong because you have a bias.

ETA What makes you believe these cops weren't uniformed and driving marked cars?

They let two guys in police uniforms into the Isabella Stewart Gardner museum in Boston, and that led to the largest art heist in history.

What I want is the cops to not be so fucking incompetent that they come to the wrong house and then be trigger happy when they do.

And yeah, THE POLICE WERE FUCKING WRONG!!!

Stop kissing up and deal with the facts.
Link Posted: 4/7/2023 9:24:29 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Never answer the door.
View Quote

Doorbell camera.
Observe armed men on porch.
Press 'SOS' button on phone.
Link Posted: 4/7/2023 9:24:51 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Bankrupt the cops and their families. Then hang them in the street.
View Quote

Lol you're calling for punishing children for the deeds of their parents, and the cops are the pieces of shit.

Right.
Page / 27
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top