Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 27
Link Posted: 4/7/2023 9:24:57 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

So you're concerned about intruders given the time of day, enough that you grab a gun. Then you open the door without checking to see who it is?

I guess the homeowner was just looking to "get it on", right?
View Quote

Maybe he did look out the window and wondered why police (or people dressed like police) are outside of his house pounding on his door....thus he opened the door bud didn't expect to get ventilated?   His wife was armed as well.

Based on the story, the police knocked on the door, but no one originally answered.   So did the police keep knocking after calling dispatch, or at a minimum just stand around his house?    So yes, armed homeowner is well within his right to check his own damn property.
Link Posted: 4/7/2023 9:25:47 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Does qualified immunity apply if the officers were negligient ( assuming the house was clearly numbered ) by going to the wrong address ?
View Quote

To get qualified immunity you must qualify for it.

Judges have absolute immunity. Meaning no matter what they are immune.

If the officer are found negligent they no long qualify for immunity.
Link Posted: 4/7/2023 9:25:50 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

This is the "oops my bad, blonde moment" Amanda Geiger defense.

Aside from going in the house, I don't see this any different.

There are more guns than people in this country, the mere presence of a gun shouldn't give cops the freedom to start shooting law abiding people in their own home or anywhere else.
View Quote

You can't see the difference between entering a home and knocking on a door?
Link Posted: 4/7/2023 9:26:56 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

So you're concerned about intruders given the time of day, enough that you grab a gun. Then you open the door without checking to see who it is?

View Quote

There are people on arfcom who won't take a shit in their own toilet without a gun In hand.

Some people truly live the 2nd amendment (the right to keep and bear arms), you're basically denying them that right because you got a call.
Link Posted: 4/7/2023 9:27:19 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

They let two guys in police uniforms into the Isabella Stewart Gardner museum in Boston, and that led to the largest art heist in history.

What I want is the cops to not be so fucking incompetent that they come to the wrong house and then be trigger happy when they do.

And yeah, THE POLICE WERE FUCKING WRONG!!!

Stop kissing up and deal with the facts.
View Quote

Lol. Are you also suspicious of cashiers? They may have snuck behind the counter and put on a store shirt to steal your cash when you hand it to them.
Link Posted: 4/7/2023 9:27:51 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

The cops went to the wrong house, that's a given.

But they obviously didn't believe they did at the time. They were responding to a domestic violence call, door wasn't opening, then when it does there's someone with a gun.

This wasn't a UPS driver knocking on the door to simply drop off a package.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I could understand your point of view if private ownership of guns did not exist. Then, a cop seeing a guy opening a door with a gun could be ASSUMED to have malicious intent / pose a threat.

But it is NOT unusual to possess a gun in the US. And being that they are for self defense - it is not unreasonable to answer the door armed at that time of night.

The cops went to the wrong house, that's a given.

But they obviously didn't believe they did at the time. They were responding to a domestic violence call, door wasn't opening, then when it does there's someone with a gun.

This wasn't a UPS driver knocking on the door to simply drop off a package.

Cops shot that guy too.

Or was he FedEx?
Link Posted: 4/7/2023 9:28:45 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

There are people on arfcom who won't take a shit in their own toilet without a gun In hand.

Some people truly live the 2nd amendment (the right to keep and bear arms), you're basically denying them that right because you got a call.
View Quote

If you get in a self defense shooting and the assailant is laying on the ground dead, are you going to holster up or stand there with your gun on your hand waiting for the police?
Link Posted: 4/7/2023 9:28:52 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
They have the right to remain silent.
View Quote

after a little screeching and gurgling, sure.
Link Posted: 4/7/2023 9:32:02 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

fuck.  your comments here are flat out disgusting.
Link Posted: 4/7/2023 9:33:00 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
So, what if it wasn't the wrong address? Cop announces that the police are at your front door and you answer with a gun in your hand?

You're a fucking retard.
View Quote

What agency does your husband work for?
Link Posted: 4/7/2023 9:33:56 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

fuck.  your comments here are flat out disgusting.
View Quote

Keep opening your door at 1130 without confirming who is outside, I'm sure it'll work out.
Link Posted: 4/7/2023 9:34:31 AM EDT
[#12]
The wife ALSO came to the door and was ALSO armed. Are we to believe she heard police identify themselves, heard her husband get shot and STILL came to the door armed ?

What are the chances that BOTH failed to hear Police identify themselves ?

I am also curious as to how the homeowner presented himself ?

Was he calm or aggressive ?

Was he aiming his firearm or was it by his side ?

Apart from being armed, did he say or do anything to make officers perceive a threat ?
Link Posted: 4/7/2023 9:36:02 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Lol you're calling for punishing children for the deeds of their parents, and the cops are the pieces of shit.

Right.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Bankrupt the cops and their families. Then hang them in the street.

Lol you're calling for punishing children for the deeds of their parents, and the cops are the pieces of shit.

Right.

Too bad the home owner didn’t mag dump through the door and kill those pieces of shit. He was dead the second they showed up, at least he could have taken out some of the gene pool on his way out.

RIP homeowner. Sad the murderous, incompetent cops got out of there.
Link Posted: 4/7/2023 9:36:03 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Because they are the same situation at all, right.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My position is that looking out the window to see if it's the cops banging on your door, as you suggested, is not a safe suggestion, and may get you killed even if it is actually cops at the door.

Because they are the same situation at all, right.

They sure ended the same way. But yes, looking out the window to identify unknown persons is the same situation whether it's the backyard or the front door.

Looking out the window is dumb, as is opening the door.
Link Posted: 4/7/2023 9:36:56 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

You can't see the difference between entering a home and knocking on a door?
View Quote

You reserve the right to kill anyone with a gun in hand, anywhere at anytime, if they aren't on team blue?
Link Posted: 4/7/2023 9:37:50 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

"Besides - he started it by opening the door armed. Who wouldn't be ready to shoot an unknown armed man at 11:30pm?"

Hell of a situation.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Farmington police to the victims wife: "We killed your husband but just so there's no hard feelings we won't be charging you with a crime tonight."

"Besides - he started it by opening the door armed. Who wouldn't be ready to shoot an unknown armed man at 11:30pm?"

Hell of a situation.

Especially in Farmington New Mexico.
Link Posted: 4/7/2023 9:38:14 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

They sure ended the same way. But yes, looking out the window to identify unknown persons is the same situation whether it's the backyard or the front door.

View Quote

Someone prowling through your backyard is not the same thing as someone knocking on your door, but sure.
Link Posted: 4/7/2023 9:40:52 AM EDT
[#18]
Why do I get the sinking feeling that they exchanged gunfire with this guy the same way they exchanged gunfire with Jose Guerena, them shooting, the homeowner not shooting?
Link Posted: 4/7/2023 9:41:08 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Never heard that out of me but trust me that some of you guys are pushing me towards it every day.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Instead of chanting "TBL TBL TBL".

Just say they fucked up and move on.  Gives you more credibility.  

Next will be Cop In City to come in here defending the murder of an innocent civilian.

I should just chant acab like you?

Never heard that out of me but trust me that some of you guys are pushing me towards it every day.

He just digs in deeper and deeper, doesn't he?
Link Posted: 4/7/2023 9:41:20 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Man, there is just NO pleasing you guys!

The cops in Uvalde don't shoot? You complain.

These cops DO shoot? You complain.

View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/7/2023 9:41:38 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

If you get in a self defense shooting and the assailant is laying on the ground dead, are you going to holster up or stand there with your gun on your hand waiting for the police?
View Quote

I've never shot anyone, so I have no idea how I'd react. I don't know how distraught I would be.

I might have a gun in my hand because I'm terrified.

You are suggesting, I should fear the cops more than the criminals?
Link Posted: 4/7/2023 9:41:51 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Sure, because NO WAY would the bad guys yell "police" to get you to open up so they can rob you.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
So, what if it wasn't the wrong address? Cop announces that the police are at your front door and you answer with a gun in your hand?

You're a fucking retard.
Sure, because NO WAY would the bad guys yell "police" to get you to open up so they can rob you.

If I was in doubt, I wouldn't be answering the door period.  I'd be calling the real cops and setting up a kill box in my foyer with my wife.

The dead guy wasn't "wrong" but made a tactically poor decision.

Link Posted: 4/7/2023 9:42:24 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
This is one of the reasons we need to end qualified immunity. It’s a license to do whatever you want to do and not be responsible for your own stupidity. It needs to end.
View Quote

For real. The exact same self defense definitions of that state should apply to police and civilians equally.

I don’t get how any reasonable person would think police need a different definition for the need of deadly force than anyone else!
Link Posted: 4/7/2023 9:42:41 AM EDT
[#24]
Answering the front door with a visible firearm is just a bad idea.  Why are we doing this?
Link Posted: 4/7/2023 9:42:53 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

And that cop was wrong. He was prowling through a backyard after sneaking back there and not announcing himself.
View Quote

Thus the conviction.

But I believe there were many in GD who proclaimed that Dean not only was innocent, he was entirely in the right to be trespassing and window peeping in her backyard/bedroom.
Link Posted: 4/7/2023 9:43:12 AM EDT
[#26]
What does the body camera footage look like?
Link Posted: 4/7/2023 9:43:33 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Someone prowling through your backyard is not the same thing as someone knocking on your door, but sure.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would disagree.

Sure - a knock on the door at noon while you are watching tv is not suspicious.

A knock on the door at 1130pm when the house is dark and you are asleep ? Was it a knock or the sound of someone forcing it ? If it woke you up, are you sure what you heard ?
Link Posted: 4/7/2023 9:44:09 AM EDT
[#28]
Murder. Manslaughter at a minimum.
Link Posted: 4/7/2023 9:44:58 AM EDT
[#29]
      Cops have done this elsewhere as well.

https://www.reuters.com/article/usa-police-immunity-guns-special-report-idINKBN2801GH

Link Posted: 4/7/2023 9:46:12 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
What does the body camera footage look like?
View Quote

Based on the body language and speech from the Police Chief - I bet it looks terrible.

Edit - interesting there is only one police officer defending ( albeit conceding they fucked up by getting wrong house ) the shooting. Usually more than one jumps in.

To me, that is telling.......
Link Posted: 4/7/2023 9:48:47 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Thus the conviction.

But I believe there were many in GD who proclaimed that Dean not only was innocent, he was entirely in the right to be trespassing and window peeping in her backyard/bedroom.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And that cop was wrong. He was prowling through a backyard after sneaking back there and not announcing himself.

Thus the conviction.

Except, that's not case law.  It's really dangerous to think of it as such.
Link Posted: 4/7/2023 9:49:28 AM EDT
[#32]
I think no question that cop should go down…

I am in my own home I am legally able to be armed. If he opens the door simply holding the gun that cop should go down for murder.  Now, did the home owner open it aggressively and pointing it at them then it shifts a bit…but I doubt that happened or the cops would be saying it.
Link Posted: 4/7/2023 9:49:59 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Late at night, and from the homeowners perspective for the purposes of looking out a window, yes it's the same.
Link Posted: 4/7/2023 9:50:10 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

If the officer can show that he had a reasonable fear of serious bodily harm or death, that he wasn't the initial aggressor, that he was not acting recklessly, etc, then it is neither.
Link Posted: 4/7/2023 9:54:39 AM EDT
[#35]
https://youtube.com/shorts/4MlzFqVfIos?feature=share
Link Posted: 4/7/2023 9:55:54 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Right, the reasonable thing to do.
View Quote

The REASONABLE thing to do is for the cops to make sure they have the correct address.
Link Posted: 4/7/2023 9:56:10 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Opening your door with a gun in your hand when the police are knocking is full stop retarded.

They were responding to a domestic, I can almost gaurantee they weren't tapping on the door. Likely pounding on it and yelling police.

But yeah, attack my geographic location, moron.
View Quote

I’m betting you’re a cop and big mad that “civilians” can own firearms.

You belong in a cell.
Link Posted: 4/7/2023 10:00:31 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I’m betting you’re a cop and big mad that “civilians” can own firearms.

You belong in a cell.
View Quote

You'd bet wrong. In betting based on NY that you're a liberal scum that thinks guns are bad.

See how that works?
Link Posted: 4/7/2023 10:01:33 AM EDT
[#39]
There is no crime so small that a cop won't kill you over it. Modern history is flush with examples. Anyone saying otherwise is a cop.

Keep posting the links and videos of the shitshow that cops are. Make them come into every thread and try to defend this kind of shit. Point and mock them for the mental gymnastics they do to justify killing people.
Link Posted: 4/7/2023 10:03:12 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Answering the front door with a visible firearm is just a bad idea.  Why are we doing this?
View Quote

Because I am in my home on my property. Are you suggesting that is wrong?
Link Posted: 4/7/2023 10:04:48 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

If the officer can show that he had a reasonable fear of serious bodily harm or death, that he wasn't the initial aggressor, that he was not acting recklessly, etc, then it is neither.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh he had permission and authority to be there? Nope. Murder.
Link Posted: 4/7/2023 10:06:18 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote

You don't need permission to knock on someone's door.
Link Posted: 4/7/2023 10:07:27 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

You don't have the ability to see who is at your door?

You want the police to be wrong because you have a bias.

ETA What makes you believe these cops weren't uniformed and driving marked cars?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cops only travel in marked cars? Good to know!!!

You don't have the ability to see who is at your door?

You want the police to be wrong because you have a bias.

ETA What makes you believe these cops weren't uniformed and driving marked cars?

The statement from the police said they were wrong.
Link Posted: 4/7/2023 10:08:34 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote

The police were absolutely wrong for going to the wrong house.
Link Posted: 4/7/2023 10:08:50 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I don't understand how cops can't seem to get the right address. I mean the mailman and pizza guy always gets it right, and it's not a life and death situation!!
View Quote

On the whole, they have very low IQ's.

In fact, that is a bonus for the hiring department.

Just look at some of the above exchanges for proof.
Link Posted: 4/7/2023 10:08:50 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote

Cop was reckless, or stupid. Either one cost a man his life. There is only four digits in the address and he fucked it up. Send him to the pokey and let him explain what a badass cop he was to his cellie. I hope the other inmates enjoy his tbl stories.
Link Posted: 4/7/2023 10:10:21 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You raise an interesting question.

Was the officer technically trespassing based on getting the wrong address ?
Link Posted: 4/7/2023 10:10:56 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nor shoot them apparently. I don't suggest LE take this path in WY.
Link Posted: 4/7/2023 10:11:52 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I don't understand how cops can't seem to get the right address. I mean the mailman and pizza guy always gets it right, and it's not a life and death situation!!

While this situation irritates me to no end, I do not believe your comment to be true.
Link Posted: 4/7/2023 10:12:06 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have no doubt that, had the homeowner been aggressive or aimed his firearm, the Police Chief would have mentioned it.

Page / 27
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top