Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 2/22/2024 3:47:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

The password for the account the bot is attacking has been changed since the original compromise right?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
....annnnnnnd the bot just attacked again and the 2 step authentication prompted me like 200+ times in a 5 min span.  Then it stopped.  

As I was typing, happened again but only a few times.  Maybe the bot is getting bored??

The password for the account the bot is attacking has been changed since the original compromise right?
I was wondering that too, It shouldn't prompt a MFA request if the password doesn't work for the hacker.   Or at least the MFA setups I'm familiar with work that way. OP: change that PW again.

The more scary possibility here is that there's a keylogger involved and the bad actor actually has OP's new password and but is getting blocked by MFA.
Link Posted: 2/22/2024 4:23:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I was wondering that too, It shouldn't prompt a MFA request if the password doesn't work for the hacker.   Or at least the MFA setups I'm familiar with work that way. OP: change that PW again.

The more scary possibility here is that there's a keylogger involved and the bad actor actually has OP's new password and but is getting blocked by MFA.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
....annnnnnnd the bot just attacked again and the 2 step authentication prompted me like 200+ times in a 5 min span.  Then it stopped.  

As I was typing, happened again but only a few times.  Maybe the bot is getting bored??

They aren’t burning zero days on him so figure previous scans would have caught that
Link Posted: 2/22/2024 5:34:53 PM EDT
[#3]
so you don't need those amazon gift cards you emailed me about? you said it was urgent!
Link Posted: 2/22/2024 7:00:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote

Didn't consider the prompt meant that the bot figured out the new password.  I'll definitely change that again!  

How would I find a keylogger?  Is it sitting in my email, windows, google account somewhere?   I wouldn't think it'd be in my phone as Verizon said it was clean.  And I'm no longer using the Dell and am on a horrible Chromebook that hurts my eyes.
Link Posted: 2/22/2024 7:05:30 PM EDT
[#5]
I'd do a credit freeze right now OP, that'll shield you from major BS, while you work on the little fish.
Link Posted: 2/22/2024 7:07:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Run a full virus scan and change all passwords immediately
View Quote

From a different computer and DO NOT SAVE passwords in Chrome
Link Posted: 2/22/2024 7:09:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Also,
If you are running a business, you need to hire a consultant or something to go over this.  
Part of doing business these days is to make sure you have a good security platform, process in place.
Link Posted: 2/22/2024 7:11:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Everyone should have mfa enabled for their emails. Your email gets compromised they can easily reset your passwords to the majority of other accounts while locking you out of your email leaving you helpless.

Link Posted: 2/22/2024 7:11:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Double tap
Link Posted: 2/22/2024 7:42:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

You need to change your password again.  You shouldn’t be getting mfa request unless they still have your current password.
Link Posted: 2/22/2024 8:47:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
What do you mean Microsoft stepped in and unblocked things? Did they tell you to contact them? Very common scam
View Quote
This is a good point.
Link Posted: 2/22/2024 11:21:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Sorry for the OP's issues.  I had my bank card compromised in 2017 and 2021 from some place in the middle east and that was a PITA to get sorted and new card numbers updated.

I never shared passwords for banking but they wasn't always strong until I started using Apple's keychain feature.  It will automatically generate  and store strong passwords like "kEtuyc-siokug-hibny5" for instance and when you click on the login box on a site it will prompt you to automatically fill the login info.  Will also work across all your signed in apple devices.

I recently built a desktop PC after years only using a Macbooks/iPhone.  I installed Brave browser for some extra security and have been happy(chrome based) and never felt real comfortable having imported all my passwords into it's manager and have balked at finding a good alternative.  And keeping passwords synched between Apple keychain and Brave's password manager on the PC was tiresome.

Thanks to this thread I looked at my stored passwords and found I still had some weak ones on an e-mail account as well as Ebay and Paypal. I just checked out that Bitwarden password manager and they seem to have nice easy to use features that work on both operating systems and Safari and Brave browser.  It is free for personal use (click on 'plans' then 'personal').  I see they also have a browser extension that you can install to have the same auto-fill and auto generate strong passwords as I was used to having on the Apple products.

Bitwarden 101: How to use the Bitwarden Password Manager

Link Posted: 2/22/2024 11:29:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Who the heck still uses Hotmail in 2024... Wow.
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 5:29:57 AM EDT
[#14]
I'm on Yahoo
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 9:50:09 AM EDT
[#15]
Staring at this lower quality Chromebook screen is really hurting my eyes.  I need to ensure my Dell is safe to use again.  I was going to call around to Best Buy, Staples, etc. to see if they offer cleaning services without doing anything with my files (yes, my business files are always backed up on a thumb drive).  I know I should buy a SSD just haven't yet.  In any case....what are your suggestions on where to take this Dell or what to do to ensure it's clean and safe to use?

BTW, things have been pretty quiet today.  I completely changed my email password so no more prompts to verify it's me on my phone.  How will I know when the bot has finally left me alone?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 9:52:39 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

You're talking to a guy who still uses Hotmail. Do you really think he understood a single word of that post?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
First-

Unplug your comp from the internet.

On another comp, download zorin OS, yes it linux but it was designed for our grandmas to use linux.
I hope you had backups of your files. DO NOT do anything with your current computer, you may have a keylogger.
Flash Zorin OS to a USB thumb drive. Boot from that thumb drive. One at the install screen, go advanced and erase hard drive.

Once installed, change email from microcrap to proton mail or fastmail. Pay for your email.

Download and use keepassXC, one password for your database/ Seperate usernames and passwords for each account.

Plus, put a fraud alert on your credit reports.

https://zorin.com/os/download/17/core/
https://keepassxc.org/

You're talking to a guy who still uses Hotmail. Do you really think he understood a single word of that post?

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 10:22:05 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Staring at this lower quality Chromebook screen is really hurting my eyes.  I need to ensure my Dell is safe to use again.  I was going to call around to Best Buy, Staples, etc. to see if they offer cleaning services without doing anything with my files (yes, my business files are always backed up on a thumb drive).  I know I should buy a SSD just haven't yet.  In any case....what are your suggestions on where to take this Dell or what to do to ensure it's clean and safe to use?

BTW, things have been pretty quiet today.  I completely changed my email password so no more prompts to verify it's me on my phone.  How will I know when the bot has finally left me alone?

Thanks!
View Quote
Have a long unique password and MFA on all accounts, using a risk-based approach (email first, then banking, etc)

I think Best Buy would just charge a lot to do the equivalent of a windows defender scan.

What version of windows is the dell again? If you just run a full defender scan and then check your programs (sort by install date) and see if you’ve got some new Remote Desktop software or something you’re probably good.

Again, this is most likely a breach that occurred off your system (you being tricked into exposing creds via phishing, or a site was compromised and you reused credentials).
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 10:26:12 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
This is a good point.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What do you mean Microsoft stepped in and unblocked things? Did they tell you to contact them? Very common scam
This is a good point.

OP still hasn't answered this question.
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 10:29:20 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
This is a good point.
Yeah, OP, maybe bringing the Dell rig to an Indy shop and telling them the whole story, step by step, would be warranted.
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 11:02:02 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

I have to replay/trace the chain of events in my mind.  Working now, will give it more attention tomorrow.  But yes, there was interactions with microsoft that I also had last year.  We can go all kinds of places with that.  Maybe it was a long con.  However, once I share the sequence of events, I'm leaning toward it not being because in those emails I not once ever shared any log in info or any personally valuable info that I can remember.  

To be continued.
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 12:06:21 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Have a long unique password and MFA on all accounts, using a risk-based approach (email first, then banking, etc)

I think Best Buy would just charge a lot to do the equivalent of a windows defender scan.

What version of windows is the dell again? If you just run a full defender scan and then check your programs (sort by install date) and see if you’ve got some new Remote Desktop software or something you’re probably good.

Again, this is most likely a breach that occurred off your system (you being tricked into exposing creds via phishing, or a site was compromised and you reused credentials).
View Quote

So just download full "defender" and run that?  I did a full scan yesterday and nothing turned up.  But not sure what program was used.  

Thanks
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 12:15:20 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

So just download full "defender" and run that?  I did a full scan yesterday and nothing turned up.  But not sure what program was used.

Thanks
View Quote
You should already have full Defender. He means a full scan versus a quick scan.
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 12:19:01 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

You should already have full Defender. He means a full scan versus a quick scan.
View Quote

Oh ok.  Yes, I did a full scan yesterday and it showed zero threats/concerns IIRC.  I still have it on the screen just haven't opened it since I thought the computer itself was infected.  Just want to make sure, as much as is possible, that it's safe to open the thing before I do.

Thanks
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 12:25:40 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Ok.  Have to figure out how to switch everything over to that.  

Thanks
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Multi-factor authentication
You sign in with a password, but also have to provide another form of ID, such as a six-digit code generated from an app on your smartphone

Ok.  Have to figure out how to switch everything over to that.  

Thanks

If you’re using Hotmail, go to the App Store for your phone and add Microsoft Authenticator. Go into Live 365/Hotmail account and follow the steps to set up two factor authentication. You can use the internet browser on your phone to do it. Hackers will have a harder time accessing your account if they need your phone to approve logins.

ETA: all caught up- harder to login to your accounts unless the hacker in fact cloned your SIM card.
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 12:28:23 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

You know you have a tech savvy victim when their email is aol.com
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 12:32:56 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

If you’re using Hotmail, go to the App Store for your phone and add Microsoft Authenticator. Go into Live 365/Hotmail account and follow the steps to set up two factor authentication. You can use the internet browser on your phone to do it. Hackers will have a harder time accessing your account if they need your phone to approve logins.

ETA: all caught up- harder to login to your accounts unless the hacker in fact cloned your SIM card.
View Quote

And make sure you get the real Microsoft Authenticator, not one with in-app purchases. Do you have iPhone or android?
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 12:34:15 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

IMHO, don't go off the deep end into proton mail and similar. It is a major red flag in some organizations to get emails from those providers. Gmail or MS is fine with MFA.
View Quote
lol whut?

I agree he shouldn't use ProtonMail but not for that reason. He's got a lot of knowledge gaps to fill in and using a service that wipes out the data when you forget and reset the password isn't for beginners.
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 12:54:34 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

I've been doing the 2 factor authentication everywhere I can think of to do it over the past 24hrs.  Not just email.  

Thanks!
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 12:55:11 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

And make sure you get the real Microsoft Authenticator, not one with in-app purchases. Do you have iPhone or android?
View Quote

Me?  Android/Samsung.
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 1:36:40 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 1:55:50 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
lol whut?

I agree he shouldn't use ProtonMail but not for that reason. He's got a lot of knowledge gaps to fill in and using a service that wipes out the data when you forget and reset the password isn't for beginners.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

IMHO, don't go off the deep end into proton mail and similar. It is a major red flag in some organizations to get emails from those providers. Gmail or MS is fine with MFA.
lol whut?

@RR_Broccoli

As of last year, gsuite flagged all protonmail emails as spam, and I know at least two large companies that have avanan setup to quarantine protonmail.  A a significant amount of illegal activities and fraud are conducted using protonmail, and fair or not, its going to wind up on various blocklists, etc.

I stand by that "in some organizations" protonmail is a redflag, and isn't a good idea for OP for multiple reasons.  Google or Microsoft is where he should be at, with app based MFA.
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 1:58:36 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

I do, I've had the same email since 1998 I think.  I also have had MFA and different passwords for all of my logins for years.
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 2:00:32 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
lol whut?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

lol whut?

When we first started seeing it, it was used by nothing but frauders.  

-Manager, loss/fraud prevention
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 3:14:36 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Me?  Android/Samsung.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Me?  Android/Samsung.

MS Auth on google play
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 3:35:30 PM EDT
[#35]
View Quote

Yup I'm using that for email and PayPal.  Thanks though!!
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 3:43:12 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:Yup I'm using that for email and PayPal.  Thanks though!!
View Quote
Awesome
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 3:46:58 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Awesome
View Quote

Ya know what really sucks?  I am up to my eyeballs in guns and armor!  Yet some techno-dick half-way around the world wherever they are can almost cripple me with a few key strokes!!!  

If only I could get my hands on them!!!
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 4:11:57 PM EDT
[#38]
So back to the issue of what interaction I had with Microsoft....

Last year a less intense version of this happened.  The email account was locked and I had to write a request to Microsoft through their website to unlock it.  What was happening back then is a little 'M' icon would pop up on my phone up at the top.  When I clicked the message, it asked for my credentials due to a security risk, or frequent log ins, etc... but it would keep chiming (sounded like a text) to alert me until I actually put in my credentials.  Email would stay locked until proper creds were entered.  So I had to write to them and explain the issue and then they unlocked it.

Fast forward to this week.  Same thing.  Sunday my phone started beeping again with the 'M' from Microsoft saying I had to log in through the message and then my email would open up.  So it wasn't being sent through email it was through the phone.  And I would see the same block if trying to use the computer.  A block page saying too many attempts, unknown devices, etc.  So it would send me a code, I had to enter the code and then it would let me see my emails.  

Oh and I forgot to mention, the Microsoft email replies from their tech people came to my alternate email.  I can copy/paste the latest response.  

"This is in response to your request for an appeal on the suspension of your Microsoft Account. Your ticket number is SIR18229731 and has been sent to our team for review. The team will reach out to your contact email if any updates are required for this request.

While waiting for a response,please review the following information:

If you forgot your username or email address: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/account-billing/you-forgot-your-microsoft-account-username-b2049472-3b8f-27d3-61c6-67a668453f4c
To create a new Microsoft Account, use this link: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/account-billing/how-to-create-a-new-microsoft-account-a84675c3-3e9e-17cf-2911-3d56b15c0aaf
If you are unable to login to your account or have forgotten the password: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/account-billing/reset-a-forgotten-microsoft-account-password-eff4f067-5042-c1a3-fe72-b04d60556c37
If you want to know more about Microsoft Accounts: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/what-is-a-microsoft-account-4a7c48e9-ff5a-e9c6-5a5c-1a57d66c3bfa
Kindly,

Microsoft Online Safety"

Then the account was unlocked the next morning and I could access it.  

So maybe this was from me responding to a phishing scam but the phone prompts, locked and then unlocked emails, codes to unlock said account, etc....seemed pretty official from Microsoft.
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 4:16:52 PM EDT
[#39]
I was wrong....this is the response from the following morning...

A suspension was placed on the account to protect you from a possible compromise situation.  Our systems detected an unusually high number of one of the following;

contact requests

searches

abuse reports

impersonating Microsoft support

If you used these features a high number of times in a short period, please respond and let us know why – so we can continue to improve our system detections. The account is at risk of suspension again in the future, if more detections of abuse occur.

For now, the suspension is removed and the account was placed into a recovery flow for your convenience and safety.

Login to the account using account.microsoft.com.  You will be asked to provide proof that you are the account owner.  If you have problems proving account ownership, review the options using this link.  https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/10494/microsoft-account-get-back-compromised-account

After recovering the account, it is imperative you visit the Security section within your profile and update all the information associated with keeping your account secure, including a new strong password.

Sincerely,

Racquel

Microsoft Consumer Protection"
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 5:40:06 PM EDT
[#40]
Account.microsoft.com should be legit, but any message asking you to “kindly” do something can fuck off. Xenophobia is an excellent security control.

The first thing does sound like a website notification impersonating a legit site. Browser “notifications” are the worst “feature” ever. Disable all.
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 5:42:55 PM EDT
[#41]
Are you using two factor auth everywhere you can?
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 5:47:40 PM EDT
[#42]
As per my lengthy post on Page 2 you really need to freeze your credit with the various credit agencies.  If they have enough info on you (and they do) to get into your bank account they will start opening up new accounts under your name.   What you have been experiencing so far is the tip of the potential iceberg.
Link Posted: 2/25/2024 12:41:31 AM EDT
[#43]
I'm a little confused at this point.   This has to be a human on the other end.  They seem to be going through each and every website I've ever joined linked to that email.  Sites I haven't gone to in 10-15yrs!  Thing is, it's hours between the attempts.  Not all at once.

Plus today I found out the fuck stick got into my TV service, changed the login and password to lock me out of it!!  Same shit they pulled with my banking!  

When does this end???  Any way I can find them and crush their nuts?
Link Posted: 2/25/2024 12:46:23 AM EDT
[#44]
Do you have family that can help? I just went through this with my parents. Do not have anyone from "microsoft" attempt to help you or get in your computer. Go to your banks in person and tell them what happened.
Link Posted: 2/25/2024 12:27:50 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Account.microsoft.com should be legit, but any message asking you to “kindly” do something can fuck off. Xenophobia is an excellent security control.
View Quote

This is important.  That email with the word kindly likely came from a scammer not from Microsoft support.  The links look legit but I bet if you hover over them (DON'T CLICK THEM) or you hover over the "from" email address so you can see the actual URL, they redirect to a non-Microsoft site.

So, you go to that site, enter your creds, and you just gave away the keys to your electronic kingdom.
Link Posted: 2/25/2024 12:29:16 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote

I still have a MSN email
Link Posted: 2/26/2024 10:36:48 PM EDT
[#47]
OP, I see that 2FA has been echoes many times for good reason and you have been addressing it.
I didn't see a straight answer to your question about the Dell PC other than asking you which version of Windows it is running.
Please answer that.
In addition, run this online virus scanner as a second opinion to Defender.
eset online scanner

Since they now got into additional accounts, you really need to keep resetting passwords everywhere using unique strong passwords, ideally generated for you by a password manager like 1password, bitwarden, or similar.
Link Posted: 2/26/2024 10:42:22 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I'm a little confused at this point.   This has to be a human on the other end.  They seem to be going through each and every website I've ever joined linked to that email.  Sites I haven't gone to in 10-15yrs!  Thing is, it's hours between the attempts.  Not all at once.

Plus today I found out the fuck stick got into my TV service, changed the login and password to lock me out of it!!  Same shit they pulled with my banking!  

When does this end???  Any way I can find them and crush their nuts?
View Quote

Check the IP log for your accounts they accessed. If they have a 2nd grade education, they are running a VPN. If they are in RUS or CHN, they don't need to. They can run their real IP and nothing will be done.

ETA-

Here is the microsoft one. Super easy to do and it is interesting to see the attempts.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/account-billing/check-the-recent-sign-in-activity-for-your-microsoft-account-5b3cfb8e-70b3-2bd6-9a56-a50177863357

Here is my screenshot. Each one can be expanded and IP info provided.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/26/2024 10:52:03 PM EDT
[#49]
If the OP ever comes back...

Yes it is a human trying to hack you and steal from you.  Probably an Indian in Calcutta or Bombay.   They have a folder on you with all your information and treat this like a business.  It's a scamming theft ring business.   They do this all day long.  

You need to be taking more steps to protect yourself since you are currently an active target.  Locking your credit is an important step to prevent further identity theft and monetary loss.
Link Posted: 2/27/2024 10:54:18 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

But yes, there was interactions with microsoft that I also had last year.  We can go all kinds of places with that.  Maybe it was a long con.  However, once I share the sequence of events, I'm leaning toward it not being because in those emails I not once ever shared any log in info or any personally valuable info that I can remember.  

To be continued.
View Quote

"Microsoft" never calls you. That's the most common scam.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top