User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/27/2024 2:01:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

"Microsoft" never calls you. That's the most common scam.
View Quote

But they do!!! I get calls on my work phone every week. They are great to deal with
Link Posted: 2/28/2024 4:48:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
If the OP ever comes back...

Yes it is a human trying to hack you and steal from you.  Probably an Indian in Calcutta or Bombay.   They have a folder on you with all your information and treat this like a business.  It's a scamming theft ring business.   They do this all day long.  

You need to be taking more steps to protect yourself since you are currently an active target.  Locking your credit is an important step to prevent further identity theft and monetary loss.
View Quote

It does seem very business-like in it's efficiency and effort.  At this point I need to implement something that'll hold all of my passwords.  I saw the USB device several suggested.  I'm thinking a spread sheet may also work.  But hopefully it won't be needed for much since I locked down pretty much everything with 2FA.  

I sit at my desk (spare bedroom) throughout most of the day.  So I'm fine with a device or a spread sheet.  But need to figure some system out so I'm not scrambling if I need to verify original passwords again.
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 12:10:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 12:22:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

It does seem very business-like in it's efficiency and effort.  At this point I need to implement something that'll hold all of my passwords.  I saw the USB device several suggested.  I'm thinking a spread sheet may also work.  But hopefully it won't be needed for much since I locked down pretty much everything with 2FA.  

I sit at my desk (spare bedroom) throughout most of the day.  So I'm fine with a device or a spread sheet.  But need to figure some system out so I'm not scrambling if I need to verify original passwords again.
View Quote
I use an Ironkey Encrypted thumb drive.
I store all of my valuable information on it with an Excel spreadsheet.
Account numbers, user names, passwords, etc.
This way I only have to memorize one password that unlocks the thumb drive.
If you change account passwords frequently as you should, then memorizing them is almost impossible.
ETA store nothing on "The Cloud", or in an online password manager, anything online can be hacked.
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 12:29:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I use a spiral wound notebook with all accounts plus a stack of 3X5 cards for the most used accounts.

Simple. Secure.  Don't need to log in to open a list.

View Quote

Quoted:
If you change account passwords frequently as you should, then memorizing them is almost impossible.
ETA store nothing on "The Cloud", or in an online password manager, anything online can be hacked.
View Quote

Appreciate both perspectives.  I'm super low-tech so while I'm more likely to go the pen/paper route, I've also learned (from managing my business passwords) that this can quickly get sloppy due to crossing out and updating...that an electronic version would be easier and more clean to use so I'll probably go that route.  

Thanks!
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 12:33:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Run a full virus scan and change all passwords immediately
View Quote

Yep and enable multi-factor authentication.....
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 12:43:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

This is what I see....

https://i.imgur.com/oKXeAf9.jpeg" target="_blank">https://i.imgur.com/oKXeAf9.jpeg
View Quote

See the shield icon with the Yellow caution triangle? Yeah, that one....click it. At this point I would want to have an up to date AV boot disk and go that route but given the OP's limited knowledge I'd recommend he contact Dell technical support or take a trip to the "Geek Squad."
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 1:10:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Appreciate both perspectives.  I'm super low-tech so while I'm more likely to go the pen/paper route, I've also learned (from managing my business passwords) that this can quickly get sloppy due to crossing out and updating...that an electronic version would be easier and more clean to use so I'll probably go that route.  

Thanks!
View Quote

Just remember that electronic version should be encrypted so it can't be stolen, yet you should have more than 1 copy of it saved in case that main device goes down.

I started with a hotmail account a long time ago and I still use it for all my contest/mailing list sign ups.  

Go to your settings (gear icon) in hotmail  and go to the junk mail section, bottom of that list:
Attachment Attached File

Turn those on.

That should essentially make your inbox a whitelist.  You'll have to add emails you know & want to come thru to the contact list in Hotmail.  Everything else will go to junk mail and you will have to review it and go in and mark stuff "not junk" if you over looked it.
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 1:23:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Just remember that electronic version should be encrypted so it can't be stolen, yet you should have more than 1 copy of it saved in case that main device goes down.

I started with a hotmail account a long time ago and I still use it for all my contest/mailing list sign ups.  

Go to your settings (gear icon) in hotmail  and go to the junk mail section, bottom of that list:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/27966/hotmail-mail-junkemail_jpg-3144909.JPG
Turn those on.

That should essentially make your inbox a whitelist.  You'll have to add emails you know & want to come thru to the contact list in Hotmail.  Everything else will go to junk mail and you will have to review it and go in and mark stuff "not junk" if you over looked it.
View Quote

What happens when you join or sign up for something new and they are not pre-established safe senders?  For example.... I join a new booze club but I haven't received any emails from them yet.  Wouldn't what you are suggesting block ALL incoming emails from them so I could never approve them as safe?

Thanks
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 1:30:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

What happens when you join or sign up for something new and they are not pre-established safe senders?  For example.... I join a new booze club but I haven't received any emails from them yet.  Wouldn't what you are suggesting block ALL incoming emails from them so I could never approve them as safe?

Thanks
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/27966/hotmail-mail-junkemail_jpg-3144909.JPG
Turn those on.

Thanks

It doesn't block them totally or auto-delete them, it marks them as junk and leaves them for review in the junk folder.  That is why I warned you have to review the junk email folder occasionally for those you might overlook.

But if you know the email address they use you could also add it to your safe sender list or contacts ahead of time as well.

Note all this that I'm bringing up is in the website interface for Hotmail.  These are Hotmail server side options and may or may not be in any email program you use to access Hotmail.

ETA if this is your business related email account, I'd consider making a new email account/address for personal things such as your new booze club, advertisements, mailing lists to keep that separate from work & legitimate business needs.
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 1:34:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

It doesn't block them totally or auto-delete them, it marks them as junk and leaves them for review in the junk folder.  That is why I warned you have to review the junk email folder occasionally for those you might overlook.

But if you know the email address they use you could also add it to your safe sender list or contacts ahead of time as well.

Note all this that I'm bringing up is in the website interface for Hotmail.  These are Hotmail server side options and may or may not be in any email program you use to access Hotmail.
View Quote

Ok thanks.

I have to figure out how to get Microsoft to unblock/restore my 20yrs+ worth of emails.  They have currently blocked them but said it was related to the breech.  Any clue how I do that?

Thanks
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 1:41:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Ok thanks.

I have to figure out how to get Microsoft to unblock/restore my 20yrs+ worth of emails.  They have currently blocked them but said it was related to the breech.  Any clue how I do that?

Thanks
View Quote

Sorry I've not had to deal with them for any account unlocking or other account issues so I don't know.   Can you not login to the web interface of Hotmail?
If those are important you shouldn't be relying on the email host to keep and store them.  Once you regain account access you should add figuring out how to archive those emails securely off of Hotmail's system.
As you now know, anything you don't have a copy of isn't truly yours.
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 1:44:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Thanks!
View Quote

I use a notebook with tabs for each group of passwords. For instance, one section is "medical", one section is "email".   When I change passwords I notate that on the appropriate page and the date I changed it.

In my case, I downloaded a driver for a mouse that I think caused the problem. Lucky for me this went nowhere. But after that I got Malwarebytes and notified them. Don't call a number, they communicate by email.

They sent me things to do, then I sent them a report of whatever it was. There were bits and pieces of the virus, or whatever it was, in various parts of my computer. I was able to delete them and haven't had a problem since. I still have Malwarebytes.

But I keep my important passwords in my desk and change them frequently.
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 1:51:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Thanks!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I use a spiral wound notebook with all accounts plus a stack of 3X5 cards for the most used accounts.

Simple. Secure.  Don't need to log in to open a list.

Quoted:

Thanks!

There's an in-between way.

Type that stuff out in a text file, stick it on multiple USB keys that you keep physically secure, and ONLY use (plug them in) them when you need to.  But people will give you grief for that too.

I detest the idea of having all my PW in a known target that screams to anyone who gets onto my computer "GO AFTER ME, THE GOOD STUFF IS HERE!"

+1 for write it down. Computers and the internet aren't secure and can't really be secure. You can make your stuff a lot better, but ultimately not secure.
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 1:52:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Sorry I've not had to deal with them for any account unlocking or other account issues so I don't know.   Can you not login to the web interface of Hotmail?
If those are important you shouldn't be relying on the email host to keep and store them.  Once you regain account access you should add figuring out how to archive those emails securely off of Hotmail's system.
View Quote

I can log in and access my email account.  But the 10's of thousands of email are not present.  In the email I received from microsoft it said they did something to them for my protection.  I just have to figure out how to un-do what they did.

Link Posted: 2/29/2024 2:19:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I can log in and access my email account.  But the 10's of thousands of email are not present.  In the email I received from microsoft it said they did something to them for my protection.  I just have to figure out how to un-do what they did.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oof, no clue what they did there.  Good luck on the recovery.
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 5:37:01 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sounds... sketch. Could you share a screenshot of that email?
ETA block out your own personal info though
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 5:40:49 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

I copied and pasted it on page 3 I believe but I can pull it up and snap a pic later tonight if need be.
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 5:46:42 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I copied and pasted it on page 3 I believe but I can pull it up and snap a pic later tonight if need be.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ah, got it. No problem, I searched the body of that email you posted and it seems legit enough, as long as the site they directed you to was aka.ms/compliancelock and not some india nonsense.

And you can probably contact them again via that site or Hotmail support (not by following any links in any emails ) and reference the SIR code originally provided for some help.
Link Posted: 2/29/2024 5:51:49 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Ah, got it. No problem, I searched the body of that email you posted and it seems legit enough, as long as the site they directed you to was aka.ms/compliancelock and not some india nonsense.

And you can probably contact them again via that site or Hotmail support (not by following any links in any emails ) and reference the SIR code originally provided for some help.
View Quote

That's a good idea.  Thanks!
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top