Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 10:43:57 AM EDT
[#1]
O_P,

The Federal Lighting box brought back memories of buying that stuff for 8.99/brick at Dahlkemper's and blasting away all weekend with my buddies.  Fun times!

Good review, I contacted a guy local to me about a .22mag he as for sale after reading your comments.

Thanks,

S-1
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 10:44:45 AM EDT
[#2]
I call mine my "get off me" gun. I originally purchased it for when I was riding my motorcycle. I am able to draw it from an ankle holster and shoot it while wearing thick riding gloves due to the spur trigger. Basically if someone tried to push me over while sitting at a stoplight I would at miniumum have a weapon that I could easily draw and use at that close of a range.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 10:48:17 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
The pistols are very small, and easy to conceal.  My lovely wife has small hands, yet this pistol fits in her hand easily.
http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=27469

I'm a bit confused by this photo.  The ring finger is longer than the index finger, I presume that is O_P's hand?

What is wrong with that?

Nothing, it's not definitive.  Just trying to figure out who's in which picture.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 10:54:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the write up...I've got the smallest one made and it is good quality. Functions 100%

I made a simple leather holster for around the neck carry, holds and extra 5 rounds too...Not the best option because is traps all kinds of junk, deoderant, lint, etc...
I am working on a kydex upside down carry but then I have the barrel pointed at my head...

I've also carried in a pocket using a Blackberry case...they fit really well in a Leatherman cordura case too

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 10:54:35 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the write up O_P, I just might have to pick one up.

I'm really happy with my NAA Guardian .380, so I know they make good stuff.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 11:00:21 AM EDT
[#6]
Just visited their website, they've been busy.  I need to find an "Earl" .
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 11:07:00 AM EDT
[#7]
I carry my NAA 22 WMR at work.  Can't get away with a bigger pistol, but I've got the folding grip with the clip on it, it works great clipped IWB appendix carry.

I use it as a BUG with my regular CCP, as well. It's decently accurate, especially with more to grip. I like mine quite a bit.

I was happy to see you post this. I've been wanting to do some testing on it, but haven't had the opportunity.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 11:07:24 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 11:14:18 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 11:33:12 AM EDT
[#10]
Yet another great learning post

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 11:35:45 AM EDT
[#11]
Wonderfully informative as always, O_P. Thank you, sir, for taking the time to do this.

You might request a sample of The Earl- it's their 4" .22 WMR with a little more "flair". Although not as valuable as a deep cover gun due to the length, I'd be interested to see the difference in velocity between it and the versions you reviewed here.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 11:41:08 AM EDT
[#12]
Now I *want* one!

For no other reason than.....I want it.  

Always appreciate the reviews and information, O_P.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 11:43:50 AM EDT
[#13]
as always great post OP.
had one of these on my list for snake duty, just havent gotten around to picking one up
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 11:44:57 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 11:53:29 AM EDT
[#15]
Good write up.

My uncle has a .22 LR only version, and I have a convertible 22 LR/Mag. I shot his and found it incredibly hard to hold onto. Consequently, I bought the convertible since it has the slightly larger grip frame. The front sight on mine was installed crooked at the factory, and the staking for the detent ball that holds the center pin in(can be seen in your fourth pic) was entirely inadequate...the ball fell out(in my hand, thankfully) the second or third time I loaded it.

The quality is good, but I did get a lemon and haven't gotten around to sending it back for repair.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 11:55:04 AM EDT
[#16]
I'm really curious how well the .22 LR Aguila SSS 60 grain solid would do in terms of penetration.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 11:56:01 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 12:01:18 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Good write up.

My uncle has a .22 LR only version, and I have a convertible 22 LR/Mag. I shot his and found it incredibly hard to hold onto. Consequently, I bought the convertible since it has the slightly larger grip frame. The front sight on mine was installed crooked at the factory, and the staking for the detent ball that holds the center pin in(can be seen in your fourth pic) was entirely inadequate...the ball fell out(in my hand, thankfully) the second or third time I loaded it.

The quality is good, but I did get a lemon and haven't gotten around to sending it back for repair.

Send it in.  They will make it good.  They have a very good reputation.

Yeah, I know. I never shoot it, so it sits forgotten in the safe until someone mentions them.

ETA: I mostly mention it so that folks will look the gun under consideration over really well before buying.

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 12:03:26 PM EDT
[#19]
I think my dealer has 3 of these for around $175.

I might need to pick one up just for the hell of it.  
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 12:05:14 PM EDT
[#20]
Have any plans on testing the Bond Arms lineup of derringer-style guns ?

My customers have been telling me the .45/.410 version is a real handful.

I've handled/sold them... and like the NAA guns, they are very nicely made.

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 12:09:39 PM EDT
[#21]
Thanks for the review! I've been thinking about buying one for a few years now. I think you sold me on it. It would be great for when I'm jogging or riding my bike.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 12:10:00 PM EDT
[#22]
Thanks for the writeup O_P.  

I own one of the NAA PUGs in 22 WMR and carry it when I can't get away with anything larger.  It's a lot better than no pistol at all or as a very tiny BUG  And as noted, very well made.

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 12:11:16 PM EDT
[#23]
Great writeup, as usual.  The penetration is actually better than I would have imagined.

I can't imagine a situation, other than carrying one in a body cavity, where one couldn't just as easily conceal one of the many small .380 autos on the market.

Can anyone post a pic comparing size between a NAA and a P3, or Seecamp/ etc.?

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 12:12:39 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 12:16:33 PM EDT
[#25]
I noticed that none of the HP ammunition expanded, I am sure this is because of the low velocity of the rounds out of the revolvers, but I have always doubted that .22lr hollow points perform any better than regular ammo. I would love to see a test of this. I have noticed that many seem to recomend hollow points whenever somone asked about hunting ammo for .22LR.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 12:21:43 PM EDT
[#26]
They are great little guns.   I've been carrying one for years.   They even have a belt buckle that works like a holster for it.   I usually carry it in the coin pocket of my jeans.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 12:23:47 PM EDT
[#27]
I have had a .22 Mag NAA revolver for several years, and the quality is absolutely first-rate, IMO. If those guys made cars, they'd be perfectly silent and come with a million mile warranty, on which the manufacturer would never have to spend a dime.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 12:29:25 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Can you fire .22lr in the mag version?

Yes. The case "bloats" and the bullet will keyhole even at a range of 12". However, there is no extraction problem.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 12:32:10 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 12:34:37 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 12:36:09 PM EDT
[#31]
Those have been on my "covet" or "when I have enough disposable cash" list for a long time.

Not at the top of the list...but on the list.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 12:36:24 PM EDT
[#32]
I had one.

The delicate lock work broke after about 400 rounds. Repaired under warranty then immediatly sold it.

I could not even consistantly hit a B27 target at 7-yards with it anyway.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 12:36:32 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 12:38:16 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Can you fire .22lr in the mag version?

Yes. The case "bloats" and the bullet will keyhole even at a range of 12". However, there is no extraction problem.

From the NAA Site:

"Can I fire .22 Shorts/.22 LR in a Magnum cylinder?

No! WMR (Magnum) cartridges have an incrementally larger diameter because the brass fits around the bullet. .22 LR bullets have a ridge cut into them, so the brass is even with the top part of the bullet. While Shorts and LRs can physically be placed into the chambers of a WMR cylinder (but you'll notice a sloppy fit), it is not safe to do so, as the brass case may split when fired.

For guns which have conversion (second) cylinders, the cylinder size is stamped on the end of the cylinder (or use a WMR cartridge as a gauge; if it fits the chamber, it's a WMR cylinder). "

Well, now you see why I was able to qualify as a lawyer, but couldn't swing the upgrade to lawman .
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 12:40:12 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 12:40:21 PM EDT
[#36]
Quality write up. NAA makes a good quality product, too.

That being said, these are novelties. Toys. I can't believe anyone who takes self defense seriously would consider one of these an option. I've played with one my dad owns. They are slow, single action, difficult to manipulate, slow to present, not easily aimed, under powered. Is it better than nothing???? If I had the option of running or attempting to draw and employ one of these, I'd run. Within arms length, I'd draw my knife, everytime before one of these revolvers. The difference of two or three seconds is EVERYTHING in that scenario.

I'm sure there are opposing opinions, and that's fine. I would suggest you see how long it really takes you to get your first shot off with one of these. Then imagine there is a 250 pound man with a....you name it...stick, knife, pistol, who is attempting to kill you from 8 feet away. Do you really want to rely on a toy? I know my answer.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 12:40:51 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I had one.

The delicate lock work broke after about 400 rounds. Repaired under warranty then immediatly sold it.

I could not even consistantly hit a B27 target at 7-yards with it anyway.

IMO, it is intended for situations in which the attacker's bullet wound will be accessorized with an imprint of the muzzle and front sight, and a very nasty powder burn.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 12:42:38 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

That being said, these are novelties. Toys. I can't believe anyone who takes self defense seriously would consider one of these an option. I've played with one my dad owns. They are slow, single action, difficult to manipulate, slow to present, not easily aimed, under powered. Is it better than nothing???? If I had the option of running or attempting to draw and employ one of these, I'd run. Within arms length, I'd draw my knife, everytime before one of these revolvers. The difference of two or three seconds is EVERYTHING in that scenario.

I'm sure there are opposing opinions, and that's fine. I would suggest you see how long it really takes you to get your first shot off with one of these. Then imagine there is a 250 pound man with a....you name it...stick, knife, pistol, who is attempting to kill you from 8 feet away. Do you really want to rely on a toy? I know my answer.

I disagree. They are lethal weapons, and they fill a small (no pun intended) but real niche. The quality is superb. If the gun is a toy, it's a toy Rolex.

It is for use when for whatever reason you can't carry or access a heavier-caliber gun, and when the enemy is within arm's reach.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 12:45:46 PM EDT
[#39]
I have been using a 22mag version for a decade.  Usually I keep it in my coin pocket while ranching (or fishing) loaded with CCI Shot shells.  It is a GREAT snake gun.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 12:48:41 PM EDT
[#40]
Have had one for years. Love it. It great when at the gym when carrying something is not parctical.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 12:49:01 PM EDT
[#41]
I never had any interest in owning one of the NAA revolvers until I saw this one. Something about the little feller makes me want to buy it...

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 12:50:31 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I never had any interest in owning one of the NAA revolvers until I saw this one. Something about the little feller makes me want to buy it...

http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=27478

Stick a 3" barrel on that sucker and I'd buy four of them.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 12:55:09 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 12:55:19 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I disagree. They are lethal weapons, and they fill a small (no pun intended) but real niche. The quality is superb. If the gun is a toy, it's a toy Rolex.

It is for use when for whatever reason you can't carry or access a heavier-caliber gun, and when the enemy is within arm's reach.

I'll (admitedly trained and practiced) do much more damage, in a shorter amount of time with my knife than a single action .22 derringer. My beef isn't as much with the cartridge (although it's woefully inadequate) as the difficulty and time in presentation.

You'll not hear a peep out of me about the quality. I understand the need for a small gun. With the crop of pocket sized .380s available, I just don't see that this one would be any easier to carry.

If someone's hands and dexterity allow them to present and get a couple shots off in 1.5 seconds or so, good for them. I haven't seen it done. There were a couple of them in the ccw class I attended. It was scary.

I have a friend who is a real gun nut who insists on carrying one with the folding holster/grip, of a summer time. It gives me something to bust his chops about
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 12:57:05 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
My experience as an NAA mini owner for several years (I have a fetish for mouseguns) mirror's O_P's review:

- Very well made
- NAA is a very easy company to deal with
- Very easily concealable little revolvers

Downsides:

- It's a .22.
- It's a .22 that's damn hard to hit anything with

From 5 yards:

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y16/jwayne_777/IMGP0874.jpg

By contrast, a Colt Junior from the same distance:

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y16/jwayne_777/IMGP0875.jpg

(Same point of aim for both)

Since someone asked about size:

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y16/jwayne_777/IMGP0876.jpg

EDIT –– the sights on the model Slanky shows would be of considerable benefit for actually hitting something with a Mini.

I can't find that plastic holster/clip/grip  combo on the website- any info on it?
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 12:58:33 PM EDT
[#46]
I've always kinda liked them..........now they are producing a small top break revolver that looks like a Schofield revolver.........it would be a nice, last ditch "get off of me" gun
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 1:02:25 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

My experience as an NAA mini owner for several years (I have a fetish for mouseguns) mirror's O_P's review:

- Very well made

- NAA is a very easy company to deal with

- Very easily concealable little revolvers

Downsides:

- It's a .22.

- It's a .22 that's damn hard to hit anything with

From 5 yards:

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y16/jwayne_777/IMGP0874.jpg

By contrast, a Colt Junior from the same distance:

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y16/jwayne_777/IMGP0875.jpg

(Same point of aim for both)

Since someone asked about size:

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y16/jwayne_777/IMGP0876.jpg

EDIT –– the sights on the model Slanky shows would be of considerable benefit for actually hitting something with a Mini.

I can't find that plastic holster/clip/grip  combo on the website- any info on it?

It's in the custom carry section of accessories.

http://www.naaminis.com/lr_custcry.html

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 1:10:35 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I've been thinking about getting one of these to throw in the BOB or to take camping for taking very small game (squirrels, snakes, etc). Now I know the accuracy isn't good out of such a small gun with a really short barrel, but is it good enough for something like that?

Honestly, I believe the short sight radius would make it difficult to hit a squirrel or rabbit with one.  Snake loads, using birdshot, are available and would be good for snakes.

How was the accuracy other the sights?  'Cause they have a itty-bitty laser on their website.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 1:12:44 PM EDT
[#49]
32 ACP would be nice if possible.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 1:25:21 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I noticed that none of the HP ammunition expanded, I am sure this is because of the low velocity of the rounds out of the revolvers, but I have always doubted that .22lr hollow points perform any better than regular ammo. I would love to see a test of this. I have noticed that many seem to recomend hollow points whenever somone asked about hunting ammo for .22LR.

The reason for that is that out of a rifle barrel, .22s will usually have enough velocity to expand. Not so in short pistol barrels.

This is what I figured, that the velocity was not enough to expand out of a pistol. Do .22lr HP really perform better than regular ammo out of a rifle?

Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top