Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 1/25/2016 7:28:34 PM EDT
Do the benefits outweigh the negatives

What is the deciding factor?
Link Posted: 1/25/2016 7:30:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Covered, semi-secure storage that you can remove if you need to.  Options are good.
Link Posted: 1/25/2016 7:31:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Obviously it will keep your stuff dry but limits how tall loads can be.
Link Posted: 1/25/2016 7:31:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Cheaper registration in CA with a cap.  I kinda miss my old long bed.  I had it set up to sleep in the back.  Great for hunting trips.  
Link Posted: 1/25/2016 7:31:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Just put a cab-high color- matched cap on my Silverado 1500.
I did it to keep the contents of the bed out of the elements.
Also installed a carpet kit.
Link Posted: 1/25/2016 7:31:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

And visibility.  
Link Posted: 1/25/2016 7:34:05 PM EDT
[#6]
It increases your fuel mileage. I thought about getting one for about two years. I then rented a truck that had one on it while in AK and when I got home I started to look for one. Found one color matched used and bought it. Never been happier. Don't have to worry about an loose stuff in the back blowing away, just throw it in and away we go.
Link Posted: 1/25/2016 7:34:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Can't use a goose Neck.
Link Posted: 1/25/2016 7:34:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

Might just depend on "you," OP.

A.W.D.
Link Posted: 1/25/2016 7:36:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Annoying when trying to haul large items, loose dirt, gravel, and etc.  Standing in the back sucks because you are hunched over all the time.

Depends what you are using the truck for.  For my pickup, it would be an impediment.  If used the pickup as my hunting rig*, it would have a cap.

*I guess I do use it as a hunting rig, but only for big game where cap is still annoying.  Bird hunting where I have more junk and haul dogs around, it would have a cap.
Link Posted: 1/25/2016 7:37:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Every single truck I ever owned had a shell on it.  Slept in them, camped in them, left tools, fish poles, rifles in them, put anything I ever needed to put in them, and it keep the dogs safer.  There was no drawback at all to them in my life.

Current truck is used to pull a gooseneck.  

Different times.
Link Posted: 1/25/2016 7:38:13 PM EDT
[#11]
You can't carry a frige or proper dirt bike with most shells.  If you need a shell for anything other than pets, you should probably buy a suburban.  

I actually have worse right now.  I have a hard, one piece fiberglass flat cover on my bed.  I bought the truck used and it came with it.  I need to get off my ass and sell that fucker.  

Having a cover on a pickup bed is almost like being born with no balls.  
Link Posted: 1/25/2016 7:40:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Caps are great for work trucks. Keeps tools dry and mostly safe. ladders go on top.

Get the side windows that open up they call them windoors makes life SO MUCH easier
Link Posted: 1/25/2016 7:44:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Cons: Fucking expensive.
Link Posted: 1/25/2016 7:44:38 PM EDT
[#14]
I have a cap on my Silverado.  Put it on back when I was loading up for gunshows.  It has loads of room and keeps things dry and out of sight.  I have considered removing it from time to time but there isn't any real demand for a used pick up cover at least in these neck of the woods.  I can still store fishing gear, trapping supplies, tools, recovery gear and pioneer tools with ease.  But some times it would be great to roll without it.  YMMV.
Link Posted: 1/25/2016 7:45:38 PM EDT
[#15]
When I bought my truck it came with a canopy. I figured I would use it for an upcoming camping trip, then sell it and line-x the bed.

Never sold it... Too useful. Love it.
Link Posted: 1/25/2016 7:47:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Makes the truck look like ass.
Link Posted: 1/25/2016 7:48:05 PM EDT
[#17]
Pros:
Better mileage,
Secure storage,
Carpet kit conceals your gear and lets you camp out in the back,
Register as an auto in CA for about 1/3 the cost of a truck.

Cons:
Size restrictions on cargo,
No gooseneck or 5th wheel trailers,
No room to move all of your friends shit when their SO kicks them out.
Link Posted: 1/25/2016 7:48:27 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

And visibility.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And visibility.  

i was a truck driver. Blind spot's yo.

Link Posted: 1/25/2016 7:49:20 PM EDT
[#19]
More dry storage that you don't have to care about getting blood, dirt, whatever on=pro.

Not being able to fit snowmobiles, dirt bikes, atvs, etc= con.

I've had a cap on my truck for 4 years, and had it with just a tool box for 4 years. Sometimes I am agitated when I can't fit a certain something in the back, but it is pretty rare. If it doesn't fit, I have a trailer to use, or a work van. For hunting, a pickup with a cap has no peer.
Link Posted: 1/25/2016 7:49:27 PM EDT
[#20]
Immediately makes you look 20 years older
Link Posted: 1/25/2016 7:49:45 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Makes the truck look like ass.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/25/2016 7:52:58 PM EDT
[#22]
My wife has a cap on her tundra.  It's a four door, so the bed is extra shor anyway.  It is her daily driver, grocery getter, etc.  she likes the cap.  It works for her and all of the kids' stuff, sandy, wet, or otherwise, can safely go in back.

I drive a ford with an 8' bed.  I have a soft tonneau cover on it, a Truxedo.  That covers the bed when not in use and I can roll it up against the cab when carrying something large.  I would not want the cap on the 8' bed, but it works great on the Tundra.
Link Posted: 1/25/2016 7:54:26 PM EDT
[#23]
Just buy a Suburban.
Link Posted: 1/25/2016 7:56:18 PM EDT
[#24]
Have a Bakflip bed cover and love it. I have secure storage when I need it and can carry oversize loads when needed.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/25/2016 7:57:21 PM EDT
[#25]
With a topper you can live in your truck down by the river.
Link Posted: 1/25/2016 7:57:33 PM EDT
[#26]
My only problem with a cap is I can't throw stuff over the side or stand up in the bed to move stuff around. Major of the town when I get in and out of the bed I go over the side anyway. I also have no use for sleeping in it when the cabs right there, and anything I can't fit in my back seat that needs to be protected from the elements is usually tough enough to be tarped.

Also no motorcycles, bikes, or quads in the bed. I don't live in a high crime area though so I can leave stuff in the back that others couldn't.

I'm planning to go the exact opposite route as you and build an aluminum flat bed for mine.
Link Posted: 1/25/2016 7:57:55 PM EDT
[#27]
Oh it took me forever to understand you people are refering to a Topper, wtf is a cap?

Honestly, Toppers look like hammered dogshit, get an extang and call it a day extang
Link Posted: 1/25/2016 7:58:12 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 1/25/2016 7:59:11 PM EDT
[#29]
Hard plastic Tonneau here... I can see the values of a cap, but I'll share advantages of the tonneau from my perspective.

Advantages of a Tonneau:
Far easier to remove, I can do it myself in about 2-3 minutes.
Zero windows, the chance of theft because thief sees what you have is basically zero.
Better visibility when driving.
Stuff stays just as dry, can still fit a decent amount of stuff, less movement of stuff.
Cost is cheaper.
Initial install is slightly easier.
Long stuff is fine, I can leave the rear tailgate down easily, or I can lean item on top of tailgate and bungee the tonneau down, no problems.
Link Posted: 1/25/2016 7:59:32 PM EDT
[#30]
In some parts of the country these are called Camper Shells.  But yinz already knew that, n'at.  

Camper Shells reduce visibility in my experience, I would prefer a hard tonneau cover.  Easier to get snow off of before you drive, and you car store your parking chair on it when you are parked at home.  
Link Posted: 1/25/2016 7:59:33 PM EDT
[#31]

Ooh, that's nice.
Link Posted: 1/25/2016 7:59:44 PM EDT
[#32]
It helps keep you from being the moving van for friends an family.

Helps keep your stuff out of site.

Stuff isn't blowing all over when you go through the car wash.
Link Posted: 1/25/2016 8:00:31 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
You can't carry a frige or proper dirt bike with most shells.  If you need a shell for anything other than pets, you should probably buy a suburban.  

I actually have worse right now.  I have a hard, one piece fiberglass flat cover on my bed.  I bought the truck used and it came with it.  I need to get off my ass and sell that fucker.  

Having a cover on a pickup bed is almost like being born with no balls.  
View Quote

My truck came with one. I love being able to buy stuff and not be in a rush to unload it.  Had 20 8ft 2x4s and full sheets of plywood in the back for a few days without anyone stealing it.

I would find a full cap more useful, but I didn't pay extra so I'll use it.
Link Posted: 1/25/2016 8:02:04 PM EDT
[#34]
Over the years I've had 3 different shells on three different trucks.  They are a love hate thing for me and my last three trucks have remained shell free.  They are great for what they are great for as described in all post above, but a pain when you really need the bed for hauling.  A few clamps and they come off quick IF you have a friend to help you get it off.  My last one was a high topper and it was my favorite.  Not having to worry about bumping my head reaching in was the biggest plus one top of being able to get more stuff inside and dry when needed.  Side windows that open are also a must!  Not all do.
Link Posted: 1/25/2016 8:03:02 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
It increases your fuel mileage. I thought about getting one for about two years. I then rented a truck that had one on it while in AK and when I got home I started to look for one. Found one color matched used and bought it. Never been happier. Don't have to worry about an loose stuff in the back blowing away, just throw it in and away we go.
View Quote

Mythbusters proved it hurts mileage.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/25/2016 8:04:22 PM EDT
[#36]
I've had a couple different ones.

Lorider Hard fiberglass looked nice, but you needed 2 people to remove it and it was more to clean.

Jack rabbit aluminum roll up. Really handy but it would sometimes get stuck in the compartment. Also freezes and takes up bedroom, I couldn't put my quad all the way in.

The trifold one might be the way to go. Uncle had one but I haven't tried it.
Link Posted: 1/25/2016 8:05:18 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Cons: Fucking expensive.
View Quote

not sure if serious.
Link Posted: 1/25/2016 8:06:17 PM EDT
[#38]
I had a tri-fold tonneau cover on one of my previous tucks, even that thing was fucking annoying for a lot of the shit I need to carry ( Bikes/sleds tall stuff).

The only way I could see myself having a cap was if I had a pulley system in my garage that I could use to lift/store the cap 90% of the time, then lower onto my truck when I needed it, like to go out camping or whatever.
Link Posted: 1/25/2016 8:14:25 PM EDT
[#39]
I have thought about getting a canvas top. Don't know how durable in the long run they are. Seem to be best of both worlds. There are times I wished I had a top and other times thank god I didn't.
Link Posted: 1/25/2016 8:17:25 PM EDT
[#40]

Where's the pic with it off for comparison?
Link Posted: 1/25/2016 8:18:11 PM EDT
[#41]
Mine came with a canopy (what we call them in PNW). I took it off. I've put it on a couple times for camping and a road trip in the last 7 years.

Most of the time I can't stand them. Makes the cab darker, kills visibility and makes loading stuff more difficult, if it even fits. I'd buy an SUV if I wanted it covered all the time.
Link Posted: 1/25/2016 8:18:58 PM EDT
[#42]
I like mine, it keeps shit dry and secureish, downside is I have to pull it off to pull a gooseneck.

Link Posted: 1/25/2016 8:23:07 PM EDT
[#43]
It totally depends on the cap you want to buy.  It is well worth it to go for the top of the line cap and it'll make it look like "factory" instead of something out of place.

I had a bakflip + bedrug for 4 years with my truck.  I got FED UP with how small the dry storage space was under the bakflip. It meant that I kept having to open the bakflip to put anything in.  

Sold the bakflip and bought an used Leer 100XQ for $500 + $550 paint to match = new cap for my truck and I ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT SO MUCH!!!  I'll never own a truck without a cap again.  I will ONLY buy a cap that looks "factory" like a Leer 100XQ or ARE Z-Series.

The dry storage space is massive. And the 2-3 times a year I need to take the cap off, it's so damn easy.  I don't take it off, I simply hook up my enclosed trailer if I needed to haul something bigger.  

Sierra + Bakflip

Sierra + Leer 100XQ Cap

Hell, I can easily fit 3 Miller welders in my truck and keep them dry! Try that with a topper or keep it out of the elements in a open bed.

Sierra + trailer

This kind of cap?  NO NONONNOONONONONONONONONO... it's fugly

edit: The only drawback I can think of is that there's no rear wiper or defrost.  It gets dirty fast on dusty roads because of aerodynamics (that's why you see spoilers added onto some of them).  That's not an issue for me since I can easily use my side mirrors. I've also thought about putting in a rear cam.
Link Posted: 1/25/2016 8:23:46 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote

Also helps keep people from asking you to move.

I have an f250 crew with short 7' bed. I love having the call on it. I honestly can't think of a time where I wished I didn't have it. I go camping, fishing, and Scuba diving. My wife uses it for her catering gigs. Keeps stuff dry and semi secure. I also have a under gunnel tool box in there.
Link Posted: 1/25/2016 8:25:41 PM EDT
[#45]
Pro: All your stuff is covered.

Con: Your truck looks like an old fisherman owns it.
Link Posted: 1/25/2016 8:28:13 PM EDT
[#46]
This my 1st cap on a truck and i love it!!

I keep a tote w tools, gear, etc.  
no more gun cases up front...

Link Posted: 1/25/2016 8:28:38 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote

Does my truck look like it's owned by an old fisherman?   Or the white chebby posted earlier?

edit: or that beautiful black ram before this post?
Link Posted: 1/25/2016 8:30:30 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote

Keeps stuff secure, out of sight and dry/out of the weather. I have mine set up to sleep under too for when I go fishing and hunting. Set up LED lights in the back too.

Only pain in the ass is if I need to go get a load of dirt or compost, but that is infrequent enough that I have no problem paying for delivery.

J-
Link Posted: 1/25/2016 8:32:53 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
It totally depends on the cap you want to buy.  It is well worth it to go for the top of the line cap and it'll make it look like "factory" instead of something out of place.

I had a bakflip + bedrug for 4 years with my truck.  I got FED UP with how small the dry storage space was under the bakflip. It meant that I kept having to open the bakflip to put anything in.  

Sold the bakflip and bought an used Leer 100XQ for $500 + $550 paint to match = new cap for my truck and I ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT SO MUCH!!!  I'll never own a truck without a cap again.  I will ONLY buy a cap that looks "factory" like a Leer 100XQ or ARE Z-Series.

The dry storage space is massive. And the 2-3 times a year I need to take the cap off, it's so damn easy.  I don't take it off, I simply hook up my enclosed trailer if I needed to haul something bigger.  
WOW!
You CAN haul that tower.

Sierra + Bakflip
http://i.imgur.com/cLmY5d7.jpg

Sierra + Leer 100XQ Cap
http://i.imgur.com/egarRwT.jpg

Hell, I can easily fit 3 Miller welders in my truck and keep them dry! Try that with a topper or keep it out of the elements in a open bed.
http://i.imgur.com/PHn7r7l.jpg

Sierra + trailer
http://i.imgur.com/20yehp2.jpg

This kind of cap?  NO NONONNOONONONONONONONONO... it's fugly
http://www.4are.com/media_files/gallery/768/ARE_4923248.jpg

edit: The only drawback I can think of is that there's no rear wiper or defrost.  It gets dirty fast on dusty roads because of aerodynamics (that's why you see spoilers added onto some of them).  That's not an issue for me since I can easily use my side mirrors. I've also thought about putting in a rear cam.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/25/2016 8:34:59 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
Does my truck look like it's owned by an old fisherman?   Or the white chebby posted earlier?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes.

Denim overalls, straw hat, ready to set your lawn chair on the viaduct and stare into nothingness for hours.

So there.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top