Link Posted: 1/25/2016 8:35:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Pros:
Better mileage,
Secure storage,
Carpet kit conceals your gear and lets you camp out in the back,
Register as an auto in CA for about 1/3 the cost of a truck.

Cons:
Size restrictions on cargo,
No gooseneck or 5th wheel trailers,
No room to move all of your friends shit when their SO kicks them out.
View Quote

How is that a con? Fuck moving people.
Link Posted: 1/25/2016 8:38:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Mythbusters proved it hurts mileage.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It increases your fuel mileage. I thought about getting one for about two years. I then rented a truck that had one on it while in AK and when I got home I started to look for one. Found one color matched used and bought it. Never been happier. Don't have to worry about an loose stuff in the back blowing away, just throw it in and away we go.

I don't really believe much of what they say. Wind tunnel testing in MI that I went to proves otherwise and so does my mpg that my truck gets.
Link Posted: 1/25/2016 8:39:17 PM EDT
[#3]

Link Posted: 1/25/2016 8:41:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Totally depends on your usage.  Both of my last two trucks have had them and I prefer them since I leave camping gear in the back and sleep in it a lot (see also expeditionportal.com).  It also makes it easier to haul my kayaks with the Yakima roof rack.  I have an 8' utility trailer if I need to haul stuff that won't fit.
Link Posted: 1/25/2016 8:42:30 PM EDT
[#5]
You can't fucking haul stuff to the dump.
Link Posted: 1/25/2016 8:46:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Pain in the ass when you are doing firewood

Which is how I heat my house.
Link Posted: 1/25/2016 8:52:31 PM EDT
[#7]
They turn your truck into a station wagon.  
Link Posted: 1/25/2016 8:52:37 PM EDT
[#8]
Foldable tonneau. Love it.  Extang trifecta
Link Posted: 1/25/2016 8:58:12 PM EDT
[#9]
I've tried empty bed, tool box, bak flip, and cap.  For what I do, the cap is king.  The bak flip looks nice, but try getting to your tools in the front of the bed in the rain or snow, or God forbid ice.  Also, if you use it every day, the bak flip will start falling apart after about a year.  The tool box was nice, but not nearly big enough for all my tools and gear.  

The Leer 100xq or ARE Z series look best, but I would give the edge in quality to the ARE.  The rear hatch is made much more sturdy, and seals better than the leer.  Now if only I could get a slide out tray, I'd be all set.

Edit

I also have a 6x10 landscape Trailer that I use for anything that doesn't fit in the truck, which makes life so much easier.
Link Posted: 1/25/2016 8:58:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Makes the truck look like ass.
View Quote

I didn't buy it for looks.

It hauls steel targets, tools, camping equipment, lots of fuel cans, a generator, all sorts of stuff that folks would steal.
It also keeps the weather off of me and mine when we need it to.  All-in-all, it's pretty handy.
Link Posted: 1/25/2016 9:01:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Retrax pro - best cover out there. We are in and out of ours 10-20 times a day for work, semi water tight, and takes up minimal room when it's closed if you need to haul big stuff. Only con is they aren't cheap
Link Posted: 1/25/2016 9:04:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/25/2016 9:14:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Keep stuff dry
Keep stuff out of sight
Can be locked
Can toss in a mattress and sleep or fuck in the back

Look gay
Look like old man truck
Can't carry motorcycle
Can't carry snowmobile
Look gay

Yes, I know I said gay twice...no, I don't like gay.
Link Posted: 1/25/2016 9:17:59 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Cheaper registration in CA with a cap.  I kinda miss my old long bed.  I had it set up to sleep in the back.  Great for hunting trips.  
View Quote

Ditto.  Works great.  Keeps stuff in the back safe and dry.  I threw a mattress in the back for hunting trips.  I never regretted having shells on two of my trucks.
Link Posted: 1/25/2016 9:25:50 PM EDT
[#15]
Practically useless if you have a farm. Hauling wood, hay, atv, equipment becomes a real pain in the ass if you have to take it off each time.
Link Posted: 1/25/2016 9:26:43 PM EDT
[#16]
I wish mine was less permanent so I could get a motorcycle back there, but it's great otherwise.
Link Posted: 1/25/2016 9:26:59 PM EDT
[#17]
It keeps my stuff dry and clean.  Like today, went shopping.  Snow/slush/water/dirt on the road and in the air due to the other vehicles on the road.  The groceries were as dry and clean when we got home as when we put them in the bed at the store.

Doesn't matter what the weather is like when I go to visit family in WV.  Doesn't matter what the weather is like when I bring a load of cabinets/stuff back from WV.

Yeah, can't haul a new refrigerator home from Lowes, but Lowes delivers and set up for free anyway.

I've had a truck since about 2001 and just can't see having a truck without a cap/camper shell.  And yeah, I slept in mine at Appleseeds and RBCs and never had to get up in the middle of the night and move my wet sleeping back/cot to a dry spot in the tent - if there was a dry spot.  The wind didn't blow it down, the rain didn't leak through and get all my stuff wet.  I slept like a baby no matter how cold or wet it was.

Neither my youngest son nor my nephew would ever consider having a shell on their trucks.  So when my nephews grandma needed her new stove picked up from Sears he asked me if I could go get it because it was raining.  When my son was moving, he wanted to make sure I could help so he could pack his clothes, shoes, etc. into the back of my truck, in case the tarps they tied around the furniture leaked.

Disadvantages?  Yeah, maybe, sometimes.  But I'll never have a truck without a shell on the bed.
Link Posted: 1/25/2016 9:34:25 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Just buy a Suburban.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Just buy a Suburban.

Not easy to pull the top off of a Suburban to move larger stuff.   Plus, not everyone feels like dicking around with whatever problems are affecting whatever model years they're looking it.

I think the drier the climate, the less useful a cap is unless you're using it for securing stuff.   They'll keep stuff dry, but most of them are not dust proof.   I'd rather throw a bunch of watertight cases in an open bed and be able to hose them off to clean them.

Open beds are also a lot easier to clean out after carrying dirty stuff.

Quoted:
Quoted:
It increases your fuel mileage. I thought about getting one for about two years. I then rented a truck that had one on it while in AK and when I got home I started to look for one. Found one color matched used and bought it. Never been happier. Don't have to worry about an loose stuff in the back blowing away, just throw it in and away we go.

Mythbusters has been wrong before, and will probably be wrong again.  I have never had a cap on a pickup truck that didn't give me better gas mileage.
Link Posted: 1/25/2016 9:44:01 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

Mythbusters did an episode on this.

They were testing tailgate up vs. tailgate down, but the cap would produce the same effect as tailgate up.

With tailgate up, air flowing over the cab is directed down into the bed creating a slow moving air bubble. Subsequent air flowing across the top of the cab flows across the top of the air bubble and is deflected over the raised tailgate. Lowering the tailgate eliminates the air bubble and all air is pulled down against the bed creating more drag.

They tested with two trucks. The truck with tailgate up drove an extra 30 miles before running out of gas.

The cap replaces the air bubble so yeah, better mileage.
Link Posted: 1/25/2016 10:14:08 PM EDT
[#20]
I had a cap on my last truck and it was mostly a good thing unless I had to haul something or things that were too tall. Now I have an Undercover lid that is good for keeping things dry and comes off in about 2 minutes if you have help, 10 if you're by yourself.

Link Posted: 1/25/2016 10:22:55 PM EDT
[#21]
Use is the key.

My truck was purchased primarily for travel with a 34 foot travel trailer.  The tonneau cover locks up generators, etc, and keeps them out of sight.

I have a small 4x8 open trailer for when I need to haul dirt, gravel, bark, or tall stuff.
Link Posted: 1/25/2016 10:25:05 PM EDT
[#22]
Grandpa, is that you?
Link Posted: 1/25/2016 10:25:14 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Cons: Fucking expensive.
View Quote

I just got a used cap for my 05 f150. $100 perfect color match and all.

Putting the dogs in the back instead of the cab is a life change.
Link Posted: 1/25/2016 10:35:52 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm pretty sure Mythbusters did a pickup test with: tailgate up, tailgate down, hard tonneau, and tailgate net.  

I don't think they've ever done a test with a canopy.
Link Posted: 1/25/2016 11:00:03 PM EDT
[#25]
Hated it when it snowed on my 1982 S10. Lived in an apartment so I had no covered parking. Snow would pack in behind the window of the truck and front of the cap. It was hard to clean out and add in the slush and other crap that would coat the door windows it made it tough to even see the outside rear view mirrors.
It was good for keeping stuff dry and using it as an overnight bed when hunting although ti could be chilly.
Have a Fold A Cover on my 2015 Canyon and really like it. I'm past the age of sleeping over night in the bed of a pickup.
Link Posted: 1/25/2016 11:08:16 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Do the benefits outweigh the negatives

What is the deciding factor?
View Quote

Can secure your belongings.
Can use it as a camper.

Can't haul a refrigerator upright.

I loved haviing a cap. YMMV
Link Posted: 1/25/2016 11:20:22 PM EDT
[#27]
when i icefish everday in the winter , I dont need to take my gear out, at the end of day, espcially if its going to snow.
in the summer I can keep many salt water rods, and fresh water gear in truck locked up all season
Link Posted: 1/25/2016 11:22:24 PM EDT
[#28]
I love my Leer shell with 'win-doors'. Keeps stuff dry and semi-secure.

I also got the options for a lockable 'gun safe', and fishing pole holders.

Link Posted: 1/25/2016 11:23:10 PM EDT
[#29]
I have one.  It hasn't been on my truck in 7 or 8 years.  I may drag it out for a long trip or something, but for what I use my truck for, it is an inconvenience.
Link Posted: 1/25/2016 11:34:18 PM EDT
[#30]
mine is handy.

i just take it off by chaining the rack to the bucket and getting it on the garage floor on casters to roll out of the way

Link Posted: 1/25/2016 11:46:36 PM EDT
[#31]
I think it really depends on how you use your truck.  For me, no freaking way.
Link Posted: 1/25/2016 11:48:48 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

mine is handy.

i just take it off by chaining the rack to the bucket and getting it on the garage floor on casters to roll out of the way

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n45/trip157/b4c0307a5a78c6f727cb31ced79bda2b_zps0cd79d8a.jpg
View Quote

Nice.
Link Posted: 1/25/2016 11:53:06 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I think it really depends on how you use your truck.  For me, no freaking way.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/25/2016 11:55:03 PM EDT
[#34]
Good:  Covers your load, provides security from semi-honest people, can allow more efficient use of space if you are hauling camping gear, traveling, or outfit it to double as a sleeping area.  Some have very good roof rack weight capacities (the one below will do 500lb).  

Bad:  Limits how tall your load is, adds weight to truck when unloaded, and provides false sense of security from straight up dishonest people, makes getting stuff from deep in the bed more difficult, reduces rear visibility.

Personally, for how I use a truck.....I find them to be useful because they provide load-covering.  I don't really haul bulky items a whole lot.  I really want to build a covert over-land setup with the cap decked out for sleeping.  There's one I saw that's really nice for that purpose.  Had side opening doors, carpeted interior, lighting.  A good weight rating for the roof rack.  Would be great for camping/outdoors/distance travel.  Throw it on a crew cab truck and enjoy.

Link Posted: 1/25/2016 11:57:02 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
You can't carry a frige or proper dirt bike with most shells.  If you need a shell for anything other than pets, you should probably buy a suburban.  

I actually have worse right now.  I have a hard, one piece fiberglass flat cover on my bed.  I bought the truck used and it came with it.  I need to get off my ass and sell that fucker.  

Having a cover on a pickup bed is almost like being born with no balls.  
View Quote

Suburban, phuleez.  

Truck with a cap is way better than a SUV.  The great thing about a truck bed is that it can be almost anything you want it to be.  An SUV will always be a frigging SUV.
Link Posted: 1/25/2016 11:57:10 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Obviously it will keep your stuff dry but limits how tall loads can be.
View Quote

/thread
Link Posted: 1/25/2016 11:58:58 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I had a cap on my last truck and it was mostly a good thing unless I had to haul something or things that were too tall. Now I have an Undercover lid that is good for keeping things dry and comes off in about 2 minutes if you have help, 10 if you're by yourself.

View Quote

Me too.  Went from cap on truck #1 to folding cover on truck #2 and now Undercover one piece on truck #3.

The cap was mostly a good thing, but I'm not actually a big fan of the look of a truck with a cap.  And man what I pain to remove and store!

The folding cover plus BedRug was great for the first two years, then started to leak. I couldn't trust it to leave my stuff in overnight, and rain can come anytime in Seattle.

The one piece Undercover tonneau cover is sweet.  Waterproof, lockable, easily removed and stored, and leaves the look of the truck as I like it.  Black fine-pebble-grain plastic on a black truck.  Looks great IMHO.

Link Posted: 1/26/2016 12:01:30 AM EDT
[#38]
I have always put caps on my pickups. It's dry storage where you can "secure" gear or groceries. I use it to camp out of occasionally if there is a storm. Use a trailer if you need to haul something tall or heavy. I quit hauling atvs in pickups when I saw people bending their tail gates. In the winter, it's a little extra weight for traction. My latest cap has side opening windows which are worth the extra money in my opinion.
Link Posted: 1/26/2016 12:02:31 AM EDT
[#39]
I'm getting a kick out of the youngsters saying "it'll make your truck look like an old man's truck that likes fishing".

Well, I am an old man, and I do like fishing. Mission accomplished. Thanks for noticing. Go play with your X Box or something.

Link Posted: 1/26/2016 12:04:22 AM EDT
[#40]
It makes the truck look like absolute ass
Pain in the ass to load firewood into

Anyone who buys a cap should have bought an suv
Link Posted: 1/26/2016 12:05:10 AM EDT
[#41]
OP......your thread title is confusing.

Link Posted: 1/26/2016 12:07:56 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Me too.  Went from cap on truck #1 to folding cover on truck #2 and now Undercover one piece on truck #3.

The cap was mostly a good thing, but I'm not actually a big fan of the look of a truck with a cap.  And man what I pain to remove and store!

The folding cover plus BedRug was great for the first two years, then started to leak. I couldn't trust it to leave my stuff in overnight, and rain can come anytime in Seattle.

The one piece Undercover tonneau cover is sweet.  Waterproof, lockable, easily removed and stored, and leaves the look of the truck as I like it.  Black fine-pebble-grain plastic on a black truck.  Looks great IMHO.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We all sit on top of the lid at softball games and at the drive in too.

Link Posted: 1/26/2016 12:09:35 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote

There is the slight possibility I don't use firewood.
There is also the possibility that I don't want deer/hogs/fish/oil/grease in the back of an SUV.
Link Posted: 1/26/2016 12:11:16 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

There is also the possibility that I don't want deer/hogs/fish/oil/grease in the back of an SUV.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Congrats, then there is a possibility that your truck looks like ass with a cap on it
Link Posted: 1/26/2016 12:15:37 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Congrats, then there is a possibility that your truck looks like ass with a cap on it
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

But, why you mad, bro?
Interwebs is serious bidness, huh?  

Link Posted: 1/26/2016 12:16:13 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 1/26/2016 12:16:35 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, plastic hard covers are great for that.  Those super expensive fiberglass one-piece covers with paint matching? I would never want to sit or stand on that.  I've been known to stand on mine to get things out of the garage ceiling, easier than dragging out the ladder!

This truck is a Nissan Frontier king cab with 6' box, so I don't have a ton of cargo like my old Ford full size.

For a little more storage, I bolted a set of Thule tracks to the Undercover lid to attach crossbars. Now I can put a cargo carrier on the cross bars, or my bicycle trays and carry two bikes on the cover, or whatever. and most of the time have the visibility of a regular truck with a tonneau cover.
Link Posted: 1/26/2016 12:17:10 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

But, why you mad, bro?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

But, why you mad, bro?

na, not really
OP asked, for cons, I gave some.  
Link Posted: 1/26/2016 12:17:36 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Perfect.  When I decide to buy another truck, this is exactly what I'm looking for.
View All Quotes

Great looking truck!
Link Posted: 1/26/2016 12:18:11 AM EDT
[#50]
I'm REALLY happy with my camper top.  The only time I've had to borrow a truck is to haul a 100# propane tank to get refilled.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top