Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 24
Link Posted: 9/9/2022 9:49:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

Uju needs more colonizing..send in the East India company and get that shit done.  That way she can feel joyous..being properly ground under the boot heel of British monarchy.  

One of the strangest things ill miss about the queen is having seen her daily on everything around my house... my bottles of food in the fridge many have her royal warrant on them, on my money she is on most of it, on my stamps she is there.. she was everywhere for my entire life.  The queen might not have been perfect but who is, she had a tough job of transitioning a dynasty that was essentially part of an old world way of doing things and trying to modernize it and make it relevant into the 20th century, largely she succeeded in many ways.

Coldstream guard at Buckingham palace play Star Spangled Banner after 9-11
Link Posted: 9/9/2022 9:52:45 AM EDT
[#2]
96 gun salute in London in memory of Queen Elizabeth II
Cliff's notes version
Ceremonial 96-gun salute fired in memory of Queen Elizabeth II at the Tower of London | AFP
Link Posted: 9/9/2022 10:10:35 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/9/2022 10:25:13 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/9/2022 10:28:50 AM EDT
[#6]
Chokey:
View Quote

Well, that didn't take long.
Link Posted: 9/9/2022 10:54:07 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

Well it wasn’t like he was going to have her hauled off to the Tower for immediate execution…
Link Posted: 9/9/2022 11:20:25 AM EDT
[#8]
If you didn't catch the Lotuseater's podcast (Carl Benjamin aka Sargon of Akkad) from today, it's a good one about what she meant: https://lotuseaters.com/the-podcast-of-the-lotus-eaters-477-09-09-2022

Link Posted: 9/9/2022 11:31:01 AM EDT
[#9]
Whether you're singing "God Save the Queen (King?)" or "Lizzy's In A Box", we can all agree its a good day for a pint...
Link Posted: 9/9/2022 1:02:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
?? The angry bitch Left hates anything to do with empire.  Royals, Churchill, whatever.  They're all about that IRA Fenian bullshit; always have been.  

And yes, Britain is to blame for the establishment of slavery in her colonies in N. America, as the French are in theirs, and the Dutch in theirs.  Britain's colonies were just more successful.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

I also do not understand the left's love of English crown. Couldn't they be blamed for oppression and slavery?
?? The angry bitch Left hates anything to do with empire.  Royals, Churchill, whatever.  They're all about that IRA Fenian bullshit; always have been.  

And yes, Britain is to blame for the establishment of slavery in her colonies in N. America, as the French are in theirs, and the Dutch in theirs.  Britain's colonies were just more successful.
Slave Trade Act 1807
Link Posted: 9/9/2022 1:07:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/9/2022 1:14:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Just watched the live TV broadcast of the first address to the nation from King Charles III

You could tell he was visibly upset, but he came across very well.
He acknowledged that his role has now massively changed

He also cited his mothers pledge at the age of 21 to dedicate her life in service, saying he will do likewise.

....sad days, but we'll have to hope that he lives up to the promises and is a worthy successor to Queen Elizabeth II
Link Posted: 9/9/2022 1:17:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Full speech:

WATCH LIVE: King Charles III gives 1st address to Britain and the Commonwealth as new monarch

Link Posted: 9/9/2022 1:23:25 PM EDT
[#14]

Damn, my wife did the order of succession off the top of her head and made three mistakes, all omissions of very young children. She's been an American citizen for something going on 20 years now. I'm going to have keep a closer eye on her.
Link Posted: 9/9/2022 1:27:48 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 9/9/2022 1:30:32 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Damn, my wife did the order of succession off the top of her head and made three mistakes, all omissions of very young children. She's been an American citizen for something going on 20 years now. I'm going to have keep a closer eye on her.
View Quote

....aye, them Brummie birds can be a surprise at times
Link Posted: 9/9/2022 1:33:40 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
A good address.

Made clear he won't abdicate and will devote the rest of his life to serving the people and upholding the Constitutional principles of the Nation.

Made clear it is no longer possible for him to devote time to the issues he cares about.

Announced that he is granting Prince William the title of Prince of Wales, noted that Catherine will use the title Princess of Wales.

Expressed his love for Prince Harry and Meghan as they continue to build their lives overseas (i.e. fuck off back to the US).

Ended with thanking his mother.

"May 'flights of Angels sing thee to thy rest'."
View Quote

Indeed, a barely in passing remark about Harry and Meghan and no mention of the children should tell Harry exactly where he stands with the family.
Link Posted: 9/9/2022 1:40:59 PM EDT
[#19]
He's off to a good start, that was a hell of an address. I'm impressed with the reception he's receiving. Maybe there's hope yet.

My wife start weeping at the "flights of angels" closing.
Link Posted: 9/9/2022 1:43:56 PM EDT
[#20]
For those watching the service. This is called sacred music when I grew up.
Link Posted: 9/9/2022 1:49:16 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
For those watching the service. This is called sacred music when I grew up.
View Quote

Sacred Music From Medieval Spain: The Llibre Vermell And The Cantigas De Santa Maria
Link Posted: 9/9/2022 1:53:07 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
While monarchs might want to play a more active role, constitutionally they can't without destroying the monarchy. That's the reality of it.
View Quote
I suppose you could make the argument that what is the point of maintaining it, if it isn't able to guide the nation. If they just sit back and let it fall, what value is there in keeping them to protect the nation?

I'm not saying this from a negative point of view of the situation. Just mean to point out your logic doesn't hold up in the real world. It's like the police in America, The politicized departments have strayed very far from the original intent when they were created by the citizens.
Link Posted: 9/9/2022 2:00:53 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 9/9/2022 2:57:56 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 9/9/2022 3:01:13 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 9/9/2022 3:19:27 PM EDT
[#27]
19 pages.

Amazed that guys on a gun forum give a flip about brits and their “royalty”
Link Posted: 9/9/2022 3:20:57 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Indeed, a barely in passing remark about Harry and Meghan and no mention of the children should tell Harry exactly where he stands with the family.
View Quote

I was surprised he mentioned them, especially with such fondness, but I suppose that is what you expect from someone in that role.  Not to be petty or vengeful.  To rise above it.  Especially given the context.

And while I was initially disappointed with that recognition, upon reflection, it was masterful.

By referencing them with such affection, he has put them in a bad spot.  They almost certainly intended to strike more blows at the family, through Harry's imminent book, if not also through more interviews.  Drama is what Markle thrives on, and it's how she is keeping Harry and herself relevant.  Got to be a victim!  That's the highest status one can have in 2022.  Not achiever.  Not team player.  And he's too stupid to realize how much he has been played and the damage they have done.  

By rising above it, Charles (and, by extension, the family) looks kind, magnanimous, and gracious ...in stark contrast to Harry and Markle.  It's a good place to be ...and probably fucks with Harry's plans for his book release.
Link Posted: 9/9/2022 3:21:54 PM EDT
[#29]
Professor Emeritus Peterson has excellent, insightful, and extemporaneous comments about Her Majesty,  her role in the 20th and 21st centuries, the role of the monarchy, over the span of a millennia, and all the good the British Empire did for all people today.

Jordan Peterson Comments on the Queen's Passing

Link Posted: 9/9/2022 3:22:12 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

How is Harry in line when he gave up his position as a royal ?
View Quote

By birthright.
Link Posted: 9/9/2022 3:23:53 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I suppose you could make the argument that what is the point of maintaining it, if it isn't able to guide the nation. If they just sit back and let it fall, what value is there in keeping them to protect the nation?

I'm not saying this from a negative point of view of the situation. Just mean to point out your logic doesn't hold up in the real world. It's like the police in America, The politicized departments have strayed very far from the original intent when they were created by the citizens.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
While monarchs might want to play a more active role, constitutionally they can't without destroying the monarchy. That's the reality of it.

There is a problem that a lot (most?) Americans don't understand how the UK constitution (unwritten) actually works - even more unfortunately, a large proportion of British people don't either, because schools don't teach it.
There has to be something right there if the system has lasted, with minor changes, for a thousand years. Even in the face of a brief spell (Oliver Cromwell) when they tried to work out a workable constitution without a monarch, and failed, going back to a King.

It is often said that the Queen (I should really start sayin King now, I suppose...) has no power.
Well, that is true, and it isn't.

The leader of the government (Prime Minister) is appointed by the Queen. The selection is made by the political parties, and the Queen gives them the nod.
Legislation passed by the government has to be signed by the Queen to become law.

Normally, it is a formality. However, she could say no. That would be a problem. A constitutional problem. Not having a written constitution is a bit of a problem here, things are based upon expectation. Saying no would have politicians up in arms. They generally think that they would eventually win any such argument, but depending upon what the Queen said no to, the end result may not be too clear. There are indications that at some (very few) points in history, there has been suggestions made to the government of the day that they may not wish to proceed with legislation in its current form.

One other thing that helps keep government in check is that the armed forces swear allegiance to the crown, not to any member of the government. The Queen is also the head of the armed forces.
No government could count upon armed force to enforce unwanted change.

America almost gets this right, with the armed forces (which should not exist, according to the constitution ...) swearing allegiance to the flag of the USA. But then they allow the president to be the head of those forces.
Link Posted: 9/9/2022 3:23:59 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
19 pages.

Amazed that guys on a gun forum give a flip about brits and their “royalty”
View Quote

What's amazing is there are folks like yourself, that hold a more hostile attitude towards the Brits and their "royalty", than the people that actually took up arms against them.
Link Posted: 9/9/2022 3:30:40 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

What's amazing is there are folks like yourself, that hold a more hostile attitude towards the Brits and their "royalty", than the people that actually took up arms against them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
19 pages.

Amazed that guys on a gun forum give a flip about brits and their "royalty"

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 9/9/2022 3:54:49 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 9/9/2022 3:57:57 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 9/9/2022 4:14:27 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

I don’t care about brits the same as I don’t care about Spaniards.

They have no influence on my life whatsoever. Why would I?

I’m not in to people worship.

There is no royalty to me aside from Jesus Christ.

Link Posted: 9/9/2022 4:23:19 PM EDT
[#37]
I mean I'm not German but watching the fall of the Berlin Wall was still an amazing event in my life. Same with QEII. I don't want to live in Britain but that doesn't mean I can't appreciate the historical and cultural significance.
Link Posted: 9/9/2022 4:26:28 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

I don't care about brits the same as I don't care about Spaniards.

I'm not in to people worship.

View Quote
Paying respect to another country's head of state passing is people worship now?
Link Posted: 9/9/2022 4:29:07 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is this supposed to be a flex?
Link Posted: 9/9/2022 4:29:55 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 9/9/2022 6:06:25 PM EDT
[#41]
I keep forgetting too - the National Anthem has now changed - I doubt I'll ever get to sing the God Save the Queen version again, given the present bloodline in the Royals
Link Posted: 9/9/2022 6:19:19 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It’s the “holier than thou” flex.

Note that Old_Painless, who, while I’ve disagreed with him about many things, manages to make humble faith look inspiring, and is able to show respect.
Link Posted: 9/9/2022 7:25:26 PM EDT
[#43]
"It's good to be the King..."  -Mel Brooks

Link Posted: 9/9/2022 7:28:20 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote

It’s good to be the king!
Link Posted: 9/9/2022 7:46:06 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You know how foreigners to the US seem to completely misunderstand your constitution and ascribe weird interpretations to it? Same thing here.

Their constitution is what it is, it has endured for a long time, and is an interesting set of checks and balances on the power of both parliament and the monarchy. I'm not qualified to critique it, and nor are the vast majority majority of GD.

Edit: PhilipPeake above explains in more detail than me.
Link Posted: 9/9/2022 7:49:27 PM EDT
[#46]
Never any scandal of her, but the many weaknesses of those around her came to the rise,  Epitomized sheer class.
Link Posted: 9/9/2022 7:50:50 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

My guess is he will.
View Quote
I'll take that bet. Cash?
Link Posted: 9/9/2022 7:54:41 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

We all have our own opinions on such matters. I've stated mine on a figure head monarch who does nothing all day and gets paid for it. If you are a Royal Family Super Fan that's on you. Good day sir.
View Quote
Does nothing ... but challenge every PM since Churchill on parliamentary decisions on a regular basis and bring in tons of tourist pounds every year.  Off the top of your head name me the King of Sweden, name me the King of Spain?  Now watch me call you a liar.
Link Posted: 9/9/2022 7:56:28 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

If I was a Brit, I'd be ok with that!  I've only known about Prince Harry as a combat vet and a patron of Wounded Warrior orgs.  Had no idea he was such a critic of the US and a supporter of libtard causes.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/500949/Harry_jpg-2518487.JPG
View Quote
Turned into quite the cuck, which is bad, considering he commanded a lot of respect back in the day.
Link Posted: 9/9/2022 7:59:10 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

I beg to differ, sir.  We still have Queen Margrethe of Denmark, who is 82.  I believe she is a great-granddaughter of Queen Victoria and is much loved by her subjects.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Margrethe_II_of_Denmark#Patrilineal_descent
View Quote
I think we will be happy with the new Princess of Wales - Katherine, who has shown nothing but the required duty of a Royal ... plus her sister is hot as shit.
Page / 24
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top