Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 6
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 8:12:25 PM EDT
[#1]
It's not over until the fat lady sings !!
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 8:13:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Let's think about that for a minute, shall we?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Note to next generation Rover designers...

It would be Boss to have a System to clear dust off those solar panels...
Maybe some fans
Let's think about that for a minute, shall we?
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 8:15:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Nah, Mars has a limited atmosphere that will eventually degrade it, and I'm pretty sure that when our sun goes red giant, Mars is toast.

Now, the voyager probes?  Estimates on the life of the golden record are that it may last several billion years.

Realistically, we will eventually get there and put these things a martian museum.
View Quote
Indeed, I forgot about the sun.  lol.  Won't be here forever.  Long-ass time though.

I hope we do get up there and get the rover back but you never know.
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 8:19:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I have an idea. The solar cells could be mounted on a long trianglar “tubes” that could rotate on the long axis. The top face exposed, bottom 2 faces covered by enclosure below them. If top face gets duty just rotate to expose clean cells.  The rotation could brush against some bristles.

Have enough of them and you could rotate individual tubes to clean without disrupting power.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I always thought the Rovers needed a dust brush (like a windshield wiper) to keep the panels clean.  They don't have one?

And didn't a dust storm blow the dust off a rover once,  allowing it to recharge?
I have an idea. The solar cells could be mounted on a long trianglar “tubes” that could rotate on the long axis. The top face exposed, bottom 2 faces covered by enclosure below them. If top face gets duty just rotate to expose clean cells.  The rotation could brush against some bristles.

Have enough of them and you could rotate individual tubes to clean without disrupting power.
That means at least one more servo, cuz redundant
So more weight more power used

It can be done I’m sure

It’s amazing the distance the comms reach
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 8:22:07 PM EDT
[#5]
I wonder if there is enough atmosphere for a flying drone/rover combo?  Would less gravity make up the difference?  Am I talking out of my ass?
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 8:27:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I wonder if there is enough atmosphere for a flying drone/rover combo?  Would less gravity make up the difference?  Am I talking out of my ass?
View Quote
No, "skycrane" was thing though. It was a device above the thing to be landed that had rockets on it. It fired at the last minute to slow the desent, then disconnected once the probe was on the ground, flew off and crashed. It's an alternative to the airbag landing.
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 8:32:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
No, "skycrane" was thing though. It was a device above the thing to be landed that had rockets on it.  It fired at the last minute to slow the desent, then disconnected once the probe was on the ground, flew off and crashed.  It's an alternative to the airbag landing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
No, "skycrane" was thing though. It was a device above the thing to be landed that had rockets on it.  It fired at the last minute to slow the desent, then disconnected once the probe was on the ground, flew off and crashed.  It's an alternative to the airbag landing.
There was a huge sigh of relief when that actually worked.

Not least of which because the wheels are made from Titanium that was supplied by a company that had its top management go to prison for falsifying test results.

They did extra drop testing, but still....
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 8:34:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Not least of which because the wheels are made from Titanium that was supplied by a company that had its top management go to prison for falsifying test results.

View Quote

Western Titanium?
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 8:35:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Western Titanium?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Western Titanium?
You betcha.
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 8:35:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

"My buick is over 30 years old and it didn't cost millions of dollars! What a waste! MUST BE NICE SPENDING OUR MONEY NASA! TYPICAL GOVERNMENT!
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 8:38:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Whether we wanted it or not, we've stepped into a war with the Cabal on Mars!

Link Posted: 6/13/2018 8:43:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
No, "skycrane" was thing though. It was a device above the thing to be landed that had rockets on it. It fired at the last minute to slow the desent, then disconnected once the probe was on the ground, flew off and crashed. It's an alternative to the airbag landing.
View Quote
I watched that thing land live at like 1 or 2 am.  It was absolutely amazing.  What an experience.  In 54 years, the wonders I've seen.
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 8:46:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Nice, now no more Rovers... next-Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 8:47:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I watched that thing land live at like 1 or 2 am.  It was absolutely amazing.  What an experience.  In 54 years, the wonders I've seen.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I watched that too, as well as watching it first begin to move in a conference room with NASA staff.

Of course, I also got to watch the liftoff from the VIP seats at the Cape.

Link Posted: 6/13/2018 8:48:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I watched that too, as well as watching it first begin to move in a conference room with NASA staff.

View Quote
The only "events' I saw live (on tv) were the tesla thing and the shuttles blowing up
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 8:50:25 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes I remember Mr. HumbleBrag...  
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 8:50:26 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote
I always thought (or was told) that the dust storms themselves actually cleaned the panels off.
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 8:51:05 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Why cant they just pick it up? I mean it is in Utah.
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 8:52:17 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
The only "events' I saw live (on tv) were the tesla thing and the shuttles blowing up
View Quote
The Curiosity rover was the only launch I got to attend,
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 8:54:58 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Yes I remember Mr. HumbleBrag...  
View Quote
Nothing humble about it.

One of the most fun parts about going was somebody on Arfcom calling me out when I was talking about heading down there.

I posted a picture of my invitation and asked him what his invite looked like.
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 9:00:14 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Why cant they just pick it up? I mean it is in Utah.
want me to drive over and dust it off?
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 9:00:41 PM EDT
[#22]
I still say they should have dug up David Bowie and put him in that spacesuit and put him in the tesla.
Epic
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 9:06:52 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote
Sky crane wasn’t really an alternative to air bags.  The air bag method used for the previous rovers simply wasn’t possible for curiosity because of its immense size compared to its predecessors. The previous rovers were fairly small. Curiosity is about the size of a car.
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 9:08:50 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Sky crane wasn’t really an alternative to air bags.  The air bag method used for the previous rovers simply wasn’t possible for curiosity because of its immense size compared to its predecessors. The previous rovers were fairly small. Curiosity is about the size of a car.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 9:13:08 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Sky crane wasn't really an alternative to air bags.  The air bag method used for the previous rovers simply wasn't possible for curiosity because of its immense size compared to its predecessors. The previous rovers were fairly small. Curiosity is about the size of a car.
View Quote
Damn, I didn't know it was that big.
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 9:27:03 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Damn, I didn't know it was that big.
View Quote
Weights from Wikipedia

Curiosity:  1982 lb
Sprit/Opportunity:  408 lb
Sojourner:  25 lb
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 9:30:13 PM EDT
[#27]
Women just do not understand.  I told my wife about the article and that it was a sad ending for the rover and mission, her response was "Sorry for your loss?".
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 9:38:34 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Women just do not understand.  I told my wife about the article and that it was a sad ending for the rover and mission, her response was "Sorry for your loss?".
View Quote
@Burnsy
You should explain to her that we created Opportunity to reach the mountains of Mars, but she's gone much, much farther than that. She tore a hole in our universe, a gateway to another dimension. A dimension of pure chaos. Pure... evil. When she crossed over, she was just a rover. But when she came back... she was alive!
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 9:43:13 PM EDT
[#29]

good night sweet prince.
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 9:43:15 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

@Burnsy
You should explain to her that we created Opportunity to reach the mountains of Mars, but she's gone much, much farther than that. She tore a hole in our universe, a gateway to another dimension. A dimension of pure chaos. Pure... evil. When she crossed over, she was just a rover. But when she came back... she was alive!
View Quote
Well played
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 9:57:41 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Sad the the fucking hippies forced NASA to use solar power. Good thing they did with Curiosity, and will with other new ones.
View Quote
Had nothing to do with the hippies.  It has to do with the short half-life if Pu238.  We have to produce it.  Our prior stocks came as a byproduct of making nuclear weapons, but when the cold war ended, so did our production of new nuclear weapons.  This was in 1988.
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 10:02:14 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
It would be great to have a nuclear RTG and not have any panels.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It would be great to have a nuclear RTG and not have any panels.
Cold fusion is what you seek
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 10:03:34 PM EDT
[#33]
Don't they have any bums that hang out with a squeegee and spray bottle like every street corner?  Mars sucks.
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 10:04:10 PM EDT
[#34]
Johnny V is on Mars?
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 10:04:22 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Consuela from housekeeping?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well the current gen rovers have been/are being cleaned by something.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cleaning_event
She'll suck the chrome paint off a bumper
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 10:08:59 PM EDT
[#36]
Bad ass.

It will be back online shortly. Other duties called so it just cut the feed for a while.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 10:18:04 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

But what could they use to wipe dust off solar panels....there must be something....but what?

Science is hard!!!

https://media.giphy.com/media/piJUEPkDTiu8o/giphy.gif
View Quote
That's like bitching that the engineers left the automatic windshield polishing system off  your 300 years old Camaro, because it's *so obvious* that it would degrade when going 60 times it's design life.
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 10:18:57 PM EDT
[#38]
Poor little guy...

Good Rover!
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 10:19:22 PM EDT
[#39]
The articles I’ve read indicated that it would not be “covered” in dust/sand its just the storm is blocking the sunlight from hitting the solar panels.  Assuming the storm ends quickly enough that its reserves are not totally depleted and its not frozen it may well wake up from its self-imposed coma and live yet.
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 10:32:09 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Sad that it may finally be over for the little guy, but damn did he ever last longer than anyone had hoped.   What a kick ass mission.  There is still hope that it comes back though, so lets hope it pulls through the storm.

https://hips.hearstapps.com/amv-prod-cad-assets.s3.amazonaws.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/Mars-Opportunity-rover-artist-s-rendering-102.jpg
View Quote
Do the solar cells rotate, to allow dust to roll off, or are they always flat? If they can't rotate (or do something else) then the accumulated dust may prove fatal.

What an amazing machine! TEN FIFTEEN A WHOLE bunch of years after its original 90-day mission time frame, and it's still sending back important data!

The public got its money's worth this time!
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 10:35:43 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Let's send Matt Damon up to fix it.
View Quote
Matt Damon? MATT FUCKING DAMON?????
He ALWAYS needs to be rescued! Last time he went to Mars was a major screwup. And that time he was in Normandy.... geez!
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 10:37:29 PM EDT
[#42]
90 day mission that is approaching 5,500 days.

Nice
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 10:37:50 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
There isn't much to compress.
View Quote
An ability to raise the solar panels back to where they were pre-deployment may do the trick.
However I think they were gravity activated once they were released.
Just thinking out loud, it probably would have added excess weight.

I hope the Rover can wake up.
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 10:43:16 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
90 day mission that is approaching 5,500 days.

Nice
View Quote
Gilligan's Island didn't do so well!
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 10:46:01 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
This angers me to no end. I'm sure Trump is off playing golf while this brave pioneer is slowly dying!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
This angers me to no end. I'm sure Trump is off playing golf while this brave pioneer is slowly dying!
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 10:51:48 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Don't be too sure of yourself, Burnsy.
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 10:52:54 PM EDT
[#47]
While not Opportunity, this is an enhanced HD video of the Curiosity sky crane drop back in 2012.
I get chills every time I see this.

Mars Curiosity Descent - Ultra HD 30fps Smooth-Motion
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 10:53:26 PM EDT
[#48]
View Quote
MMGA!
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 10:59:42 PM EDT
[#49]
Is it official or are we still waiting to see if it comes back to life.
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 11:01:02 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well the current gen rovers have been/are being cleaned by something.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cleaning_event
No...noooo....
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top