Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 6
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 11:10:15 PM EDT
[#1]
For some reason it reminds me of a Isaac Asimov story I read where the robot was hunting the humans and the dark and solar energy had something to do with it. Automation on a mining colony?
Link Posted: 6/14/2018 7:27:32 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Oh great, now we are going to irradiate Mars and make it uninhabitable to the poor microbes we just found there.

NASA is so dumb.
View Quote
If you don't know what a RTG is, how it works, or what the half life of the stuff within it is,  you might want to learn some things before publishing an opinion.
Link Posted: 6/14/2018 9:51:09 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
If you don't know what a RTG is, how it works, or what the half life of the stuff within it is,  you might want to learn some things before publishing an opinion.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh great, now we are going to irradiate Mars and make it uninhabitable to the poor microbes we just found there.

NASA is so dumb.
I think Curiosity’s coolest feature is it’s RTG Plutonium bomb that doubles as a power source. They can either activate Curiosity’s auto-destruct sequence at the end of its useful life or do the same to prevent her capture by Martians and carve a 10 Kt swath through the landscape.

Better to destroy her than let her fall into hostile control.
Link Posted: 6/14/2018 10:38:35 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Is it official or are we still waiting to see if it comes back to life.
View Quote
Not official as of yet.
My take on it is that if the solar panels are covered from the dust storm the internal batteries only have so long before they turn in to frozen bricks.
If the storm is prolonged then the batteries to wake the rover up will be dead before the panels gather enough light to charge them up.
Link Posted: 6/14/2018 11:03:31 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I think Curiosity’s coolest feature is it’s RTG Plutonium bomb that doubles as a power source. They can either activate Curiosity’s auto-destruct sequence at the end of its useful life or do the same to prevent her capture by Martians and carve a 10 Kt swath through the landscape.

View Quote
I even have that app on my iPhone, I haven't gotten to the point of activating it so far. Waiting patiently for Matt Damon to show up on the camera view.
Link Posted: 6/14/2018 11:41:18 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote
I bet you are one of those sinister NASA types that have been covering up the nuclear bombing of Jupiter back in 2003. The living Jelly Blimps on Jupiter were no threat to us here on earth, nor to our future plans to colonize Jupiter, but you asshats decided to nuke them anyway.
Link Posted: 6/14/2018 11:44:18 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I bet you are one of those sinister NASA types that have been covering up the nuclear bombing of Jupiter back in 2003. The living Jelly Blimps on Jupiter were no threat to us here on earth, nor to our future plans to colonize Jupiter, but you asshats decided to nuke them anyway.
View Quote

It’s obvious you don’t have access to the full intel about the JBs or you wouldn’t have posted that.
Link Posted: 6/14/2018 11:48:02 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

It’s obvious you don’t have access to the full intel about the JBs or you wouldn’t have posted that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would like to know more...

Link Posted: 6/14/2018 11:50:14 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
For some reason it reminds me of a Isaac Asimov story I read where the robot was hunting the humans and the dark and solar energy had something to do with it. Automation on a mining colony?
View Quote
Maybe thinking "The Coldest Place" by Larry Niven - no robots, but set on Pluto.  Spacecraft lands, breaks, astronauts stranded.  One guy goes babnanas and goes onto the surface and lifts his helmet, committing suicide.

Click To View SpoilerWon a Hugo (or Nebula?) for best short story.  Years later, we figured out that the surface of Pluto wasn't ice, which blew away the basis for the stranding, but that happens in science fiction.

ETA: Actually, I recall there was an Asimov story like you describe, but it was set on Mercury.  They couldn't figure out how the culprit was moving around on the surface during the day.
Link Posted: 6/14/2018 11:54:05 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Let's send Matt Damon up to fix it.
View Quote
We've already spent too much rescuing him.
Link Posted: 6/14/2018 11:59:53 AM EDT
[#11]
bye walle
Link Posted: 6/14/2018 12:00:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 6/14/2018 12:04:34 PM EDT
[#13]
RIP you have done well

Link Posted: 6/14/2018 12:11:25 PM EDT
[#14]
Four pages in and people still haven't read the article.  It's not dust ON the solar panels, it's dust in the ATMOSPHERE.  There's no available sunlight to generate energy.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/14/2018 12:23:29 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Four pages in and people still haven't read the article.  It's not dust ON the solar panels, it's dust in the ATMOSPHERE.  There's no available sunlight to generate energy.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/79710/MartianSun-575553.JPG
View Quote
It has also been caught in a dust storm and shut down before and come back ok.
Link Posted: 6/14/2018 12:23:50 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote
Your incessant focus on actual facts is quite annoying and greatly detracts from the vigorous and highly entertaining debate on GD.
Link Posted: 6/14/2018 12:26:49 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Note to next generation Rover designers...

It would be Boss to have a System to clear dust off those solar panels...
View Quote
You're telling me this thing costs 100 quadrillion dollars and it doesn't come with windshield wipers?!?!
Link Posted: 6/14/2018 12:38:05 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

You're telling me this thing costs 100 quadrillion dollars and it doesn't come with windshield wipers?!?!
View Quote
When I first found out that Curiosity was rolling on 20s I tried to talk one of the JPL project leads to add spinners.

He wouldn't go for that, but just think of how totally cool that would have looked in the footage that got beamed back to earth!!!

It would have been worth the weight penalty.

Link Posted: 6/14/2018 12:39:03 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 6/14/2018 12:39:12 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote
You could do far cheaper with some rap music, speaker wire, and cheap audoivox bass speakers.  I hear cars in Detroit rattling loose from many blocks away.  I imagine if the car is rattling apart it could move dust too.

Yes this is a joke...
Link Posted: 6/14/2018 12:47:33 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Your incessant focus on actual facts is quite annoying and greatly detracts from the vigorous and highly entertaining debate on GD.
View Quote
You seem to be the only one having this highly entertaining debate.
Link Posted: 6/14/2018 12:47:49 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
When I first found out that Curiosity was rolling on 20s I tried to talk one of the JPL project leads to add spinners.

He wouldn't go for that, but just think of how totally cool that would have looked in the footage that got beamed back to earth!!!

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

But then you'd need a camera that's not mounted on Curiosity to be able to show pictures of the spinners...
Link Posted: 6/14/2018 12:52:11 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

You seem to be the only one having this highly entertaining debate.
View Quote
(sigh)
13ers....
Link Posted: 6/14/2018 12:52:35 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

But then you'd need a camera that's not mounted on Curiosity to be able to show pictures of the spinners...
View Quote
Haven't you seen the stitched together photos of Curiosity? It can already do that with it's onboard camera.
Link Posted: 6/14/2018 12:54:00 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, he doesn't get it. NASA needs to send up another rover to clean off Opportunity's solar panels.  And then when that rover's solar panels get dirty, Opportunity can return the favor.  NASA should have done this in the first place.
Link Posted: 6/14/2018 12:55:09 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Haven't you seen the stitched together photos of Curiosity? It can already do that with it's onboard camera.
View Quote
Very cool! What will they think of next?
Link Posted: 6/14/2018 12:55:42 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
You would figure this would be... common sense.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You would figure this would be... common sense.
The mission was supposed to be 90 days.  A system to clear dust off the panels is more weight and another thing that can go wrong so it's going to be at the expense of something else that is probably more important.  Considering that Opportunity has lasted it's original design life many times over, it seems like they made the right call.
Link Posted: 6/14/2018 12:56:31 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Yeah, he doesn't get it. NASA needs to send up another rover to clean off Opportunity's solar panels.  And then when that rover's solar panels get dirty, Opportunity can return the favor.  NASA should have done this in the first place.
View Quote
I think the current plan is to send up a swarm of tiny robot bees to fly over the solar panels thus blowing the dust off.

Genius if you ask me!
Link Posted: 6/14/2018 1:00:34 PM EDT
[#29]
Aliens did it
Link Posted: 6/14/2018 1:00:55 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Funny thing is, all these rovers will be in Museums one day - probably the Voyager probes too.
View Quote
That's a mind expanding thought to even consider the possibility.
Link Posted: 6/14/2018 1:08:08 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

The mission was supposed to be 90 days.  A system to clear dust off the panels is more weight and another thing that can go wrong so it's going to be at the expense of something else that is probably more important.  Considering that Opportunity has lasted it's original design life many times over, it seems like they made the right call.
View Quote
Perhaps the eggheads should have realized it would last longer and figured it out. They should have been able to science the hell out of it!

(or is that just in the movies)

Link Posted: 6/14/2018 1:10:15 PM EDT
[#32]
11+ Years of Mars Roving in 8 Minutes | Time-Lapse Video
Link Posted: 6/14/2018 1:13:53 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Perhaps the eggheads should have realized it would last longer and figured it out. They should have been able to science the hell out of it!

View Quote
It was a design that was specced to last 90 days that turned into 14 years.  If that isn't a job well done, I don't know what is. "Last longer" has to have an end at some point.  The rover (if it dies now or in the future) is an overwhelmingly massive success.
Link Posted: 6/14/2018 1:17:54 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
It was a design that was built to last 90 days that turned into 14 years.  If that isn't a job well done, I don't know what is. "Last longer" has to have an end at some point.  The rover (if it dies now or in the future) was an overwhelmingly massive success.
View Quote
I could last longer if they had installed windshield wipers...

Perhaps it would have lasted long enough to come across this creature wandering in a forest cave on Mars...

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/14/2018 1:19:50 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I could last longer if they had installed windshield wipers...

Perhaps it would have lasted long enough to come across this creature wandering in a forest cave on Mars...

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/403204/Theodor_Kittelsen_-_Skogtroll,_1906__Forest_Troll_-575624.JPG
View Quote
Yes, they could have also installed confetti launchers, a carton of ice cream and 15 spare tires, but the mission parameters didn't call for those things. Clearing the solar panels would not help right now, the problem is the dust in the atmosphere from the storm is blocking the sun.  The storm is 1/4 the size of the planet.
Link Posted: 6/14/2018 1:38:04 PM EDT
[#36]
I wish KSP had the bounce landing option
Link Posted: 6/14/2018 2:31:37 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Yes, they could have also installed confetti launchers, a carton of ice cream and 15 spare tires, but the mission parameters didn't call for those things. Clearing the solar panels would not help right now, the problem is the dust in the atmosphere from the storm is blocking the sun.  The storm is 1/4 the size of the planet.
View Quote
Then just drive the damned thing to where the storm isn't at!
Come on dude, this is not rocket surgery!
Link Posted: 6/14/2018 2:55:47 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
No...noooo....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well the current gen rovers have been/are being cleaned by something.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cleaning_event
Consuela from housekeeping?
No...noooo....
She would have to wait months for the lemon pledge to get there.
Link Posted: 6/14/2018 3:48:43 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
The rover has run out of juice to run its own systems due to a massive dust storm on Mars and has gone in to sleep mode.
If it does not get Sun light soon in may turn into a frozen brick and not be able to power up again.

https://www.space.com/40873-mars-dust-storm-opportunity-falls-silent.html?utm_source=notification

RIP little fella.

View Quote

I want to know how much commission you made on selling it to NASA and did you offer them the Extended warranty
Link Posted: 6/14/2018 4:03:34 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Maybe thinking "The Coldest Place" by Larry Niven - no robots, but set on Pluto.  Spacecraft lands, breaks, astronauts stranded.  One guy goes babnanas and goes onto the surface and lifts his helmet, committing suicide.

Click To View SpoilerWon a Hugo (or Nebula?) for best short story.  Years later, we figured out that the surface of Pluto wasn't ice, which blew away the basis for the stranding, but that happens in science fiction.

ETA: Actually, I recall there was an Asimov story like you describe, but it was set on Mercury.  They couldn't figure out how the culprit was moving around on the surface during the day.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Please name the book so I can read It
Link Posted: 6/14/2018 4:31:30 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote
Maximum speed is 2 inches per second.
Link Posted: 6/14/2018 4:41:19 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote
It is in no possible way a bomb. The plutonium 238 isotope in the RTG only breaks down by alpha decay. A sheet of paper will stop alpha particles. It cannot reach criticality.
Link Posted: 6/14/2018 4:44:38 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

All that money spent on it and it only goes .113636 mph??? WTF is that all about?
Link Posted: 6/14/2018 4:48:08 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
It is in no possible way a bomb. The plutonium 238 isotope in the RTG only breaks down by alpha decay. A sheet of paper will stop alpha particles. It cannot reach criticality.
View Quote
You haven't seen what Matt Damon can do with it...  
Link Posted: 6/14/2018 4:55:12 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

All that money spent on it and it only goes .113636 mph??? WTF is that all about?
View Quote
Yeah, that steering delay is a bitch though...
Link Posted: 6/14/2018 5:00:56 PM EDT
[#46]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.overthinkingit.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/StarshipTroopersCarousel.jpg
We captured an infant Jelly Blimp and are studying it deep in space, right now!

Link Posted: 6/14/2018 5:04:06 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I think the current plan is to send up a swarm of tiny robot bees to fly over the solar panels thus blowing the dust off.

Genius if you ask me!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Genius if you ask me!
Link Posted: 6/14/2018 5:04:52 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Aliens did it
View Quote
No.
Inhabitants did it.
Aliens SENT it!
Link Posted: 6/14/2018 5:05:18 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's obvious you don't have access to the full intel about the JBs or you wouldn't have posted that.

https://www.overthinkingit.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/StarshipTroopersCarousel.jpg
http://d2rormqr1qwzpz.cloudfront.net/photos/2013/11/04/54978-dark_star.jpg
Pinback
Link Posted: 6/14/2018 5:07:19 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
It was a design that was specced to last 90 days that turned into 14 years.  If that isn't a job well done, I don't know what is. "Last longer" has to have an end at some point.  The rover (if it dies now or in the future) is an overwhelmingly massive success.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't really believe this.
Considering the considerable cost of putting the rovers up there, they wanted a LOT for the taxpayers' money.
They sold it to us as a 90-day mission as a "cost-cutting" feature.. then, when the rovers exceeded their life span, they said "They're too valuable to let them just rot up there! Give us more money to study the planet!"
Which, actually... I don't mind.
It's better than Obama's mission for NASA.
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top