User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 6
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/15/2018 6:44:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
We did. He used standard units instead of metric. He missed.

It wasn't pretty.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Can't we send Matt Damon over to sweep it off and save it?
We did. He used standard units instead of metric. He missed.

It wasn't pretty.
If you got blowed up too, you might not be working with a fully charged battery either.
Link Posted: 6/15/2018 7:08:20 PM EDT
[#2]
We should have a pool on who thinks it will come back to life and who thinks it won’t. I’’m rooting for the little guy.
Link Posted: 6/16/2018 10:45:04 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
We should have a pool on who thinks it will come back to life and who thinks it won’t. I’’m rooting for the little guy.
View Quote
OP! A POLL IS CALLED FOR!!@!
Link Posted: 6/16/2018 10:52:20 AM EDT
[#4]
Some good news from NASA!

NASA's Opportunity Rover Is Expected To Survive The Huge Martian Dust Storm That Sent It To Sleep

We should be able to ride out the storm,” John Callas, Opportunity project manager at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena, California, said at the conference. “When the skies clear and the rover begins to power up, it should begin to communicate with us.”
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/16/2018 11:32:38 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The OP has authorized me to conduct a poll on this subject. Vote wisely... and vote often!

Poll thread
Link Posted: 6/16/2018 2:30:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
It is in no possible way a bomb. The plutonium 238 isotope in the RTG only breaks down by alpha decay. A sheet of paper will stop alpha particles. It cannot reach criticality.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think Curiosity’s coolest feature is it’s RTG Plutonium bomb that doubles as a power source. They can either activate Curiosity’s auto-destruct sequence at the end of its useful life or do the same to prevent her capture by Martians and carve a 10 Kt swath through the landscape.

Better to destroy her than let her fall into hostile control.
It is in no possible way a bomb. The plutonium 238 isotope in the RTG only breaks down by alpha decay. A sheet of paper will stop alpha particles. It cannot reach criticality.
Sure it can. It’s full of weapons grade plutonium!

Wait- you thought I was being serious?
Link Posted: 6/16/2018 3:06:39 PM EDT
[#7]
(Voyager) Pussy!(Voyager)
Link Posted: 7/4/2018 12:44:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Update with link in OP.

Rover is still in sleep mode and has not been heard from.
Dust storm continues.

https://www.space.com/41079-nasa-opportunity-mars-rover-silent-dust-storm.html?utm_source=notification
Page / 6
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top