Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 7
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 12:41:35 PM EDT
[#1]
That sucks man, but I hope you get it squared away. I enjoy your build threads.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 12:44:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 12:54:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Well.

I got everything working good. Got the carrier to stop binding. Everything was going pretty smoothly. I got the barrel in about 3/4 of the way. Then I saw a dreaded torque of the receiver while under load from the press.

So the good news I guess is that I bent back the receiver most the way.

The bad news is Im likely going to need a new receiver. Its got a slight S curve to the back half of the receiver. This is my own doing and simply not being smart with how I set up the receiver and the press.

Im going to try a bit more to salvage this receiver first as all I need to do is get the rails straight and it should work. It didn't damage the front half of the receiver where all the critical dimensions are for the locking flaps.

Well see. Pretty disappointed in myself
View Quote
Didn't brace it on the trunnion?

Honestly if it isn't horrible and top cover still lines up correctly I'd call it salvageable.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 1:06:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Didn't brace it on the trunnion?

Honestly if it isn't horrible and top cover still lines up correctly I'd call it salvageable.
View Quote
I didn't .

Shame on me I know. I started it without bracing it and it was going pretty easy. Took it down a few times to check and make sure everything was aligned. Last time it just bowed and I went

Im honestly surprised it bent so much and didn't simply break. Im working on her and well see. I can now get the carrier about half way so Im doing something right with these bolts and nuts

Worst comes to worst I learn from my mistake and get a new receiver. I asked DSA today if theyd do a custom serial number for MAGA762 on a new one and they told me they don't do custom serial numbers
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 1:41:28 PM EDT
[#5]
RPD receiver no. 2 has been ordered
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 8:31:06 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
RPD receiver no. 2 has been ordered
View Quote
Where'd you order this from, and what's the lead time?
Link Posted: 4/3/2017 8:33:44 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Where'd you order this from, and what's the lead time?
View Quote
DSA

Should have it this week
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 12:49:00 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
You take on ambitious projects and bring them to fruition, and we all get to benefit from watching. Sometimes you choose well, sometimes badly. This is an expensive lesson, but those go with any ambitious project. Kudos to you for carrying on undeterred; some would have bandsawed the brand-new receiver into 3 parts and posted pics.
View Quote
This. I haven't checked on this thread in a while but you take on bigger projects and have more skillz than I do.
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 8:55:38 AM EDT
[#9]
Just waiting for things to show up. Hoping itll all be here before the weekend so I can get started again
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 9:07:04 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I was sort of thinking its some sort of rigged bipod. But like I said the pic isn't good enough to tell. You could very well be right.

I was sort of thinking the spring would be internal to the gas tube. But this is pure speculation on my part. With this thing so chopped up its sort of hard to see how everything works together to be able to determine what could be modified to forgo the spring in the stock.

Should I change this to a RPD pistol build

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/600x315/82/b5/cb/82b5cb1f40c2e7876b15203176c05adc.jpg
View Quote
Splooosh!
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 9:10:41 AM EDT
[#11]
here's how mine turned out:

Link Posted: 4/5/2017 10:59:31 AM EDT
[#12]
Im hoping my turns out here soon.

If I dick it up again I gotta throw in the towel though
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 11:01:56 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Im hoping my turns out here soon.

If I dick it up again I gotta throw in the towel though
View Quote
From the sounds of it your figured out all your mistakes Chase!

You got this!
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 11:18:15 AM EDT
[#14]
Going to be building a RPD project myself.
I have a nice Polish parts set with original barrel and waiting on my DS Arms receiver.
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 11:26:41 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

From the sounds of it your figured out all your mistakes Chase!

You got this!
View Quote
I may end up with two RPDs if I can salvage the other barrel and receiver
Link Posted: 4/10/2017 7:29:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Going to be building a RPD project myself.
I have a nice Polish parts set with original barrel and waiting on my DS Arms receiver.
View Quote
Did you get your receiver yet? I don't recall it taking this long last time around
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 4:44:25 PM EDT
[#17]
I believe receiver number 2 is headed to me this week
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 4:52:48 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I believe receiver number 2 is headed to me this week
View Quote
About fucking time. You'd think DSA would be tossing out parts like a 19 year old virgin tossing 20's at a strip club.
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 5:04:07 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

About fucking time. You'd think DSA would be tossing out parts like a 19 year old virgin tossing 20's at a strip club.
View Quote
You aint kidding.

I was like mere minutes from saying fuck it and just ordering a RPD(no fucking shit too). Then I saw the message back from them

Something about the gunsmith had to make a modification to the ones they had, they may not be complete who knows. First one shipped quick though
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 5:42:50 PM EDT
[#20]
Chase, It'll be 100% worth it in the end to maintain your patience and build it yourself.  Dont' give in now!

Think how much better it'll be to look at it and know your hands built it instead of just giving up and ordering it all in one shot.
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 5:45:57 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Chase, It'll be 100% worth it in the end to maintain your patience and build it yourself.  Dont' give in now!

Think how much better it'll be to look at it and know your hands built it instead of just giving up and ordering it all in one shot.
View Quote
HA! I can assure you its going to be uglier, but I get your point.

With them responding to the email I wont be purchasing one unless I fuck this one up too

I still have received nothing of a invoice or a tracking number. But Ill give it a few days since Ill be out of town. If I get back in town and still haven't heard or received anything I guess Ill hit DSA back up like WTF?
Link Posted: 5/3/2017 4:32:40 PM EDT
[#22]
RPD receiver has indeed shipped today

Looking like Ill have it by the weekend with some luck
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 3:02:11 PM EDT
[#23]
This one seems much nicer.

Plus note theres left over liquid liquid nitrogen at work
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 8:07:03 PM EDT
[#24]
Got the barrel all the way in

Now I just need to push it back about a tiny smidgen to get it to close on a go gauge
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 8:07:19 PM EDT
[#25]

Now I just need to push it back about a tiny smidgen to get it to close on a go gauge
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 8:30:35 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote
Happens. Lined up on the extractor cut?
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 8:43:10 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote
Yup all is well but a solution in this shop to press the barrel a smidgen out
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 8:45:01 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Brace the face of the receiver with the barrel muzzle down. use a long rod with something soft (copper or aluminum) against the breech face to protect it. Press.
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 8:50:13 PM EDT
[#29]
Motivation picture for you Chase... You can do it. Heed well Tim's tips above, these are two of his full auto builds and mine, which he tuned for me a bit. Hola Tim!
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 10:01:27 PM EDT
[#30]
I think I got it.

Go gauge locks completely.

No go I get a partial lock. But the wings don't fully engage the receiver
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 1:08:47 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I think I got it.

Go gauge locks completely.

No go I get a partial lock. But the wings don't fully engage the receiver
View Quote
It's a belt fed. You'll be fine.
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 1:10:08 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Motivation picture for you Chase... You can do it. Heed well Tim's tips above, these are two of his full auto builds and mine, which he tuned for me a bit. Hola Tim!
http://i1033.photobucket.com/albums/a416/kineticeq/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_5167_zps3lmgs9zs.jpg
View Quote
Thanks buddy. Hope things are going well.
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 3:14:04 AM EDT
[#33]

Mostly done. I have all the accessories on and seem to be in place. I have yet to pin them. Once I do I'll drill the gas port.

I was working on getting the front sight on right. But I decided to sleep on it instead of make mistakes.

It'll be finished tomorrow

Link Posted: 5/6/2017 3:43:25 AM EDT
[#34]
Cool thread. I want one.
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 5:53:28 AM EDT
[#35]
If you haven't yet pinned the barrel to the reciever.... STOP.

The barrel needs to be pressed all the way to the stop at the feed ramp and then you trim the bolt flaps to set the headspace. If you don't there is a good chance that it won't feed right and those issues can be a nightmare to tune out of the rpd.

The new receivers are made with the locking lugs a big short so that there is enough meat on the flaps to trim down. if you are partially locking on a no-go gauge right now you have problems that need to be fixed!!!!
When you fire the rpd a few hundred rounds the headspace opens up a bit and will put you over the line of acceptable. Also be sure you pull the extractor out of the bolt when setting headspace. The extractor will hit the ramp under the barrel and give you a false sense of headspace every time. What you want is a pretty tight flap to receiver fit on a go gauge to start with. Then it opens up to about perfect when you fire it some.
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 8:54:02 AM EDT
[#36]
Looks good chase!
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 11:40:19 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
If you haven't yet pinned the barrel to the reciever.... STOP.

The barrel needs to be pressed all the way to the stop at the feed ramp and then you trim the bolt flaps to set the headspace. If you don't there is a good chance that it won't feed right and those issues can be a nightmare to tune out of the rpd.

The new receivers are made with the locking lugs a big short so that there is enough meat on the flaps to trim down. if you are partially locking on a no-go gauge right now you have problems that need to be fixed!!!!
When you fire the rpd a few hundred rounds the headspace opens up a bit and will put you over the line of acceptable. Also be sure you pull the extractor out of the bolt when setting headspace. The extractor will hit the ramp under the barrel and give you a false sense of headspace every time. What you want is a pretty tight flap to receiver fit on a go gauge to start with. Then it opens up to about perfect when you fire it some.
View Quote
Unless DSA redesigned the recievers this isn't  correct. All the RPDs I did the barrel was pressed until headspaced and then assembled. Many thousands of rounds of full auto through those guns.
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 12:13:13 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Unless DSA redesigned the recievers this isn't  correct. All the RPDs I did the barrel was pressed until headspaced and then assembled. Many thousands of rounds of full auto through those guns.
View Quote
This is the procedure I used. It's nearly to the barrel stop. But it doesn't make sense to me to cut the flaps. Once they're cut they're shot and you could never do a rebarrel down the road if you needed.

I'm about to pin the accessories and drill a port. Hopefully test fire goes nice and smooth
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 1:10:32 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Cool thread. I want one.
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 4:05:31 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Mostly done. I have all the accessories on and seem to be in place. I have yet to pin them. Once I do I'll drill the gas port.

I was working on getting the front sight on right. But I decided to sleep on it instead of make mistakes.

It'll be finished tomorrow

http://i.imgur.com/UBOwgHp.jpg
View Quote
Beautiful.
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 6:09:02 PM EDT
[#41]
Everything is pinned up but the front sight.

About to go test fire
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 11:19:00 PM EDT
[#42]
As she sits

Going to need some tuning. What did you guys drill your gas ports to?

Link Posted: 5/7/2017 12:26:42 AM EDT
[#43]
Did you test it?
Link Posted: 5/7/2017 12:31:07 PM EDT
[#44]
Yeah. It needs some tuning.

Not sure if it's undergassed or what just yet
Link Posted: 5/7/2017 1:18:27 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Yeah. It needs some tuning.

Not sure if it's undergassed or what just yet
View Quote
What is it doing? What size port did you drill?
Link Posted: 5/7/2017 1:56:44 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

What is it doing? What size port did you drill?
View Quote
Having feeding issues.

Some of the rounds are impacting the edge of the receiver. I've chamfered that a bit. But it's almost like the belt isn't being pulled far enough to the right when cycling

Used a 5/32 drill for the gas port
Link Posted: 5/7/2017 2:02:59 PM EDT
[#47]
Holy shit. I am super impressed, way to persevere
Link Posted: 5/7/2017 2:03:15 PM EDT
[#48]
Did you test with a short belt to rule out belt drag?

Is your gas block lined up with the port?
Link Posted: 5/7/2017 2:07:47 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Did you test with a short belt to rule out belt drag?

Is your gas block lined up with the port?
View Quote
Yeah I've been just using a 50 round segment not loaded to capacity

It's definitely lined up. I just don't know if it's the right size port.

I've got it to run 3 consecutive rounds. But most hang up during feeding. Extraction is good though. But perhaps it needs more gas. I'm just not sure yet

Gas setting is set on 3 which is the highest
Link Posted: 5/7/2017 2:10:51 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Yeah I've been just using a 50 round segment not loaded to capacity

It's definitely lined up. I just don't know if it's the right size port.

I've got it to run 3 consecutive rounds. But most hang up during feeding. Extraction is good though. But perhaps it needs more gas. I'm just not sure yet

Gas setting is set on 3 which is the highest
View Quote
My experience with m240 Bravo's tells me you have too little gas. It should run on the lowest setting with ease. Ince carbon builds up you can crank it out to 2 and 3 and it should still run. Just dont run a clean gun on the highest setting.
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top