Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/15/2009 8:47:09 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I don't know about a radar from a microwave, but you can use a radar as a microwave. I've seen a turkey cooked with a SPS-49.

I would imagine a SPS-49 could cook just about anything, and probably do it quickly as well.

Personally, never actually saw it happen though.

Didn't Mythbusters shoot down that one?

I doubt mythbusters could get access to a SPS-49.  I don't think there are many (if any) commercial sets that output the power a Navy air search radar does.

IIRC, they did their testing onboard a USCG cutter...

They don't have SPS-49s onboard USCG Cutters...

Bottom line, I'm pretty sure they used a navigational RADAR, not an air search like the 49 or the 48E.  Either of those radars would easily cook anything in front of them –– they put out several orders of magnitude more powerful radiation than a nav radar.
Link Posted: 10/15/2009 9:00:34 AM EDT
[#2]
whats the frequency difference between a microwave oven and radar used for detecting shit?  i would imagine a microwave would operate at a higher frequency and have less range than a radar.  unless if you converted the microwave into a hand held or back pack mounted gay-dar.
Link Posted: 10/15/2009 9:00:36 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
2450 MHz. Bye Bye wireless Lan

And Hello Jail and Fines

Link Posted: 10/15/2009 10:38:16 AM EDT
[#4]
I swear! The best of the WORST ideas originate on ARFCOM!
Link Posted: 10/15/2009 10:46:28 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Interesting thread. I have a 1000w Microwave that I don't use that I have been saving for some evil design. I thought about making a microwave gun that I could point at a bag of popcorn and cook it at a distance.  I don't know enough about electronics to do such a thing really, but the idea of it sure sounds cool. Maybe it is not a good idea.

Definitely NOT a good idea.  You'd need a whole lot of knowledge on how to properly direct that energy without frying yourself.

Yeah, not a good idea to build a directed energy weapon without knowledge of directed energy handling.

Well See...I said this is an interesting thread. I know nothing about the electronics of a microwave or how a magnetron works. I only had an idea which I learned is a bad idea. I know better than to try and mess with something I know very little about. This thread has taught me not to mess with it.

Thanks guys.

Link Posted: 10/15/2009 6:18:56 PM EDT
[#6]
AN/SPS-49(v)4 had a PEP of 250kW, and an average output of 16kW.

The fixed-beam RADHAZ for the -49 is fucking insane.

USCG Cutters do have the AN/SPS-40(v)_.  I'm not too sure what kind of power that puts out.

The biggest danger from the AN/SPS-55 navigation RADAR was if it was energized while you were working aloft, the moving antenna could hit you.

I would have loved to have seen the Mythbusters try their "experiment" using the STIR (modified AN/SPG-60) on the Mk92 FCS.  Something tells me that ~1MW in CW could cook a turkey, elk, moose, sperm whale or even a Bremerloe.

Link Posted: 10/15/2009 6:56:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

USCG Cutters do have the AN/SPS-40(v)_.  I'm not too sure what kind of power that puts out.

The biggest danger from the AN/SPS-55 navigation RADAR was if it was energized while you were working aloft, the moving antenna could hit you.

I would have loved to have seen the Mythbusters try their "experiment" using the STIR (modified AN/SPG-60) on the Mk92 FCS.  Something tells me that ~1MW in CW could cook a turkey, elk, moose, sperm whale or even a Bremerloe.  

And I think the 48E is about 5 times that PEP, IIRC...  

Link Posted: 10/15/2009 6:57:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Without disputing anything said previously, the simple answer is yes.  You can use a microwave oven for a RADAR system, but it makes a terrible one for spotting aircraft as clouds completely block the signal.  Weather radars are around 5GHz and 10GHz because that they penetrate clouds to a degree but are also reflected by the clouds.  Radars for planes need to completely penetrate clouds but be reflected by the plane.  Commercial planes reflect most radar frequencies.  Birds, clouds, dust, balloons. etc. all reflect radar signals but with different strengths.  Also a given object will reflect different frequencies differently so a variety of frequencies are used for different purposes.  The military uses all sorts of different frequencies for this very purpose.  And sometimes you need to hit an object with several different frequencies to tell what it is.
Link Posted: 10/15/2009 7:12:02 PM EDT
[#9]
So I guess I will not mess with the microwave to build a radar.

How about a radar jammer?
Link Posted: 10/15/2009 7:13:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I don't know about a radar from a microwave, but you can use a radar as a microwave. I've seen a turkey cooked with a SPS-49.

We cooked hamburgers on the fantail with an SPG-51 (using CW).

Link Posted: 10/15/2009 7:14:16 PM EDT
[#11]
It'd be more fun and less dangerous to turn your unused microwave into a welder.
Link Posted: 10/15/2009 7:14:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Link Posted: 10/15/2009 7:55:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Oh it would make one hell of a jammer at whatever frequency they run.

Of course all the previous warnings about frying yourself, getting fined tens of thousands of dollars, etc, apply just as well.

ETA: Dumpster_Baby said it even better!
Link Posted: 10/15/2009 7:56:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

We cooked hamburgers on the fantail with an SPG-51 (using CW).

Damned Fire Controlmen!

Link Posted: 10/15/2009 9:57:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

What about a Port Orca or a Silverwhale?

Link Posted: 10/15/2009 10:03:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
It'd be more fun and less dangerous to turn your unused microwave into a welder.

hmmmm, the light goes on.

I can smell the wood burning already........
Link Posted: 10/16/2009 6:03:43 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

hmmmm, the light goes on.

I can smell the wood burning already........

This may have promise. Tell me how this works.
Link Posted: 10/16/2009 6:33:25 PM EDT
[#18]
I think that remark was made in jest. The only part that would have any use in any kind of welder is the power transformer, and it would require a lot of work.

The transformer has a 120 volt primary, a 2000 volt low current secondary, and a 3 volt high current secondary.  The only way I think of to make a "welder" out of one would be to strip off all the secondary windings and rewind a new secondary with #12 or #10 insulated wire.  This would make a high current secondary at anywhere from 5-15 volts, depending on how many turns of wire could be worked around the old secondary's bobbin.

All you would have would be something like one of those "buzz boxes" that are nothing but a couple of heavy nichrome resistance wires between the power cord and the welding cables.  They are really crappy and hard to use.  It's hard to strike an arc and sustain it.

The oven's transformer core and primary winding are only good for 1500-2000 watts of power, max, and that's a transformer from a 1000 watt or higher oven.  The transformers in ovens are a lot smaller that what is used in any transformer-based arc welder.

Bad idea.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top