Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 6:22:13 AM EDT
[#1]
everyone else has rattled off all the good reasons already, but I'll still chime in and say I would never buy a truck without one.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 6:35:45 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Climb through window to get into bed when camping. Very useful.
View Quote

yup...
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 6:55:07 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
ll at whoever we had in the truck bed, maybe so the dog could stick it's head inside the cab, but I see no point in the sliding rear window... So, enlighten me.
View Quote

its so can grab a beef from the cooler w/o stopping
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 7:04:12 AM EDT
[#4]
I feel like we should save this thread next time a DUI thread comes around and everyone thinks you should be killed for even looking in the general direction of a beer and driving...
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 7:14:26 AM EDT
[#5]
Use mine all the time for hauling long material like trim and whatnot
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 7:16:29 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Helps clear farts out. Duh.
View Quote
yep!
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 7:16:42 AM EDT
[#7]
This is the correct answer.
Wish they would make the crewmax with the fuckin 6 foot bed.. or the dc with the sliding rear window.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 7:17:37 AM EDT
[#8]
I think someone at Cola Warrior TX used it to put an A/C unit in it.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 7:40:52 AM EDT
[#9]
Put slide in camper in the bed.  Put wife in camper.  Wife can yack to friends on cell phone for hours.  Wife can hand you hot sammys through the window. Everybody's happy.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 7:44:09 AM EDT
[#10]
I have owned several trucks over the years that have sliding rear windows but never use them.
So I could live without it but at the same time don't mind them either.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 7:52:19 AM EDT
[#11]
Let's me carry boards longer than 10ft.

I find it extremely helpful.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 7:59:23 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Rear window, triangle side windows, and floor high beam switches all should come back.
View Quote
Yep, the sliding rear in conjunction with the triangle side-vent windows made for great airflow. Much smoother and quieter than just rolling down the side windows.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 8:03:50 AM EDT
[#13]
Absolutely; it's a fantastic heat vent. When I get into my Tundra in warm weather, I open all 5 windows (including the full rear window), turn on the air conditioner, and drive. In a few hundred feet, I roll up the windows. It's one of the best features of the truck in addition to the cargo it can carry and tow. The worst features are parking the thing in most downtown parking structures and the gas it eats.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 8:12:21 AM EDT
[#14]
Yep, I would love one of those in my truck
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 8:14:25 AM EDT
[#15]
I use mine all the time.  I like riding with the windows down.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 8:16:05 AM EDT
[#16]
Yes.
Sliders are a thief's dream.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 8:27:54 AM EDT
[#17]
Agreed. My Chevy just has the little slide. Which I rarely use. Sometimes I'll open it along with the moon/sunroof (whatever they're called) window for airflow. But usually all of my windows are closed.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 8:31:38 AM EDT
[#18]
Back before rear truck seats it was handy to reach the beer cooler in the bed of the truck.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 8:34:51 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
So your buddies can reach into the cooler in the bed and get another beer.
View Quote
Should have been FP.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 8:36:02 AM EDT
[#20]
In the vent windows + no A/C days, it was very useful.  Now, not so much.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 8:37:51 AM EDT
[#21]
They're good for making a truck easier to break into, making scraping ice off more difficult, and making the window harder to clean. In a standard cab they are OK, but I'll never buy an extended cab with one again.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 8:38:14 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Absolutely; it's a fantastic heat vent. When I get into my Tundra F150 in warm blazing hot summer weather, I open all 5 windows including the rear window, turn on the air conditioner, and drive.
View Quote
Damn straight.

Makes a huge difference.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 8:39:50 AM EDT
[#23]
During the summer I leave the rear window open when I'm parked if it's not supposed to rain; between that and leaving the windows cracked (I have rain guards on hem) it helps with interior heat.  I have no idea what I was thinking when I bought a black truck living in the south.  
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 8:41:48 AM EDT
[#24]
Opened the one in my dad's '68 Ford all the time.  Anything that actually has air conditioning...not so much.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 8:43:07 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Let's me carry boards longer than 10ft.

I find it extremely helpful.
View Quote
I just put them over the tailgate, tie them down, and flag them. 
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 8:43:28 AM EDT
[#26]
Wing windows + rear slider = heaven

My f250 has a rear slider, but I never use it since it's a damn crew cab and I can't reach it.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 8:44:50 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Yes.
View Quote
Not really.  In high school my truck had a solid rear window.  Thieves cut it out and took the back glass and the stereo equipment.  
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 8:49:07 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
So I've driven cars and SUVs my entire life, considering a truck for my new purchase. Does anyone actually use the sliding rear window for anything, what is the point of it?

I know when I was younger we use to use it for air flow because we smoked, or to throw beer cans in the truck bed, or to yell at whoever we had in the truck bed, maybe so the dog could stick it's head inside the cab, but I see no point in the sliding rear window... So, enlighten me.
View Quote

You just answered your own question.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 8:50:55 AM EDT
[#29]
in the Summer, open back window, turn a/c to high, start moving = hot air removed from the cab
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 8:52:47 AM EDT
[#30]
Power slider in my truck.  I love it.  Sunroof open, slider open about 2-3 inches gives absolutely perfect airflow in the cab.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 8:56:56 AM EDT
[#31]
When I had a short bed Frontier I used it a couple of times to slide lumber through it, into the cab, when I didn't want it hanging out of the bed.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 9:00:06 AM EDT
[#32]
1.) Beers
2.) Gun battles
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 9:04:00 AM EDT
[#33]
Tundra definitely wins the award for best rear window. I've never owned a Ford where the rear electric slider worked for more than the first year of ownership. The electric slider in my GMC's has always worked fine for as long as I've owned them but like the Fords slider it's just the old school size that is only good for moving air through. I don't really ride around with the windows down or the sunroof open that much anymore.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 9:09:07 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
This I love the power rear window
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
This I love the power rear window
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 9:11:38 AM EDT
[#35]
dog likes to stick his head out the rear window
back seat only has vent windows
if you lock your keys in you can crawl in through the slider
if you don't have air conditioning its a good for air flow

easier to break into
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 9:13:44 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
1. Open front window
2. Open rear window some
3. Air doesn't make buffeting noises
4. ???
5. Profit
View Quote
And crack the sun roof.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 9:18:40 AM EDT
[#37]
Those sliding windows are targeted by thieves.  They used mine to break in.  Police said it was common.  I put a dowel in track to stop it.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 9:22:14 AM EDT
[#38]
That was the one thing my used Tundra did not come with that I wanted.   Couldn't pass the truck up but I would love that window.  My 4Runner has one and I ride with it down any time its warm enough to not freeze to death.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 9:22:23 AM EDT
[#39]
Roll down rear window, stick in kayak.
Also, airflow means I rarely use the AC to keep comfortable.
All the other perks already mentioned.

I too, have a problem leaving the window down and having it rain.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 9:24:31 AM EDT
[#40]
I strongly prefer the air flow I get with the rear sliding window open. Just having the side windows only down in my truck can be a little annoying, as soon as you open that back window the flow changes.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 9:24:52 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
My son is a pole vaulter. Get where the poles went into?
View Quote
Would have saved the $250 7-foot fishing rod that snapped when the BakFlip got caught in the wind and slammed closed...
My last truck didn't have one.  New truck does.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 9:27:17 AM EDT
[#42]
I had three trucks that had them the first a ranger with no A/C, pretty much kept it open in the summer. Had a full size Chevy and a GMC with A/C  and never used the sliding window. I usually get long beds so hauling lumber, molding or pipe lengths isn't much of a problem. So with A/C and long bed I never use them anyways.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 10:11:57 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
They are a throw back to the days of slide in truck campers where they served
as a pass through .
View Quote
This. I have a topper on my truck. It has a sliding window, but my truck doesnt. I got a deal on the truck thinking I would just put change out the back window to one with a sliding window. Then I went and priced doing that. I dont have a pass through
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 10:16:38 AM EDT
[#44]
We use mine for communicating when we're putting the boat in or taking the boat out of the water.  Just easier.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 10:38:47 AM EDT
[#45]
my dad uses his to throw empties/piss bottles/trash into the bed.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 10:41:41 AM EDT
[#46]
Why wouldn't you want more options.

I'd rather have it and not use it than not have it and need it.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 10:42:20 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Rear window, triangle side windows, and floor high beam switches all should come back.
View Quote
You forgot kick panel vents.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 10:54:48 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Not really.  In high school my truck had a solid rear window.  Thieves cut it out and took the back glass and the stereo equipment.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes.
Some older pickups it is shockingly easy to get the rear window out.
I did it several times after accidentally locking my keys in my 80s toyota pickup.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 10:56:06 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Problem is once you hit a certain trim level it becomes a feature not an option.
I wanted a solid window but I didn't have a choice. I have come to appreciate it, but I've also left it open a few times too.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Tons of new ones have solid rear windows
Problem is once you hit a certain trim level it becomes a feature not an option.
I wanted a solid window but I didn't have a choice. I have come to appreciate it, but I've also left it open a few times too.
I bet you could program it to automatically close with key turn off.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 11:04:07 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
The rear sliding window on my new f150 is nowhere near big enough for me to "crawl through".

Are you guys all midgets?
View Quote
I'll have to go see if climbing through is even possible on my '14 F150. The window on my Tacoma was too small for such shenanigans. My shoulders are broader than my waist, so hopefully I won't end up wearing the rear window as a belt.

The airflow argument doesn't do much for me. I paid for air conditioning and use it.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top