BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 6
Link Posted: 7/23/2021 4:50:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
For the first flight my dad says "I'll try it out for you to make sure everything works right". That flight lasted 5 seconds, it never flew again, due to its somewhat expected unairworthiness.
View Quote

That is EXACTLY what happened with my new Miss America P-51 Mustang.
Link Posted: 7/23/2021 4:52:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
For the first flight my dad says "I'll try it out for you to make sure everything works right". That flight lasted 5 seconds, it never flew again, due to its somewhat expected unairworthiness.
View Quote

That is EXACTLY what happened with my new Miss America P-51 Mustang.
Link Posted: 7/23/2021 4:53:08 PM EDT
[#3]
I had "The Red Knight".  Always wanted a Stuka.  Loved that smell.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/23/2021 4:53:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Christmas day, Santa brings me a yellow airboat style cox car.  We wait for the temps to warm a little. Noon we head out to the local school parking lot. Santa drives the spike into the tarmac.  Spins the blade, screams to life, and starts its circle track course.
  Faster and faster it goes, round and round. After a few loops it decides that it's a plane now, not a car.  One or two feet off the ground, the spike pulls out and we are off. Goes about 50 yards or so at a thousand mph and try's to knock down a curb.  The curb was not amused.

Thanks for the memories and my shortest owned toy.
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/23/2021 4:53:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Spent a winter in college building a sopwith camel kit. Had the .049engine, it was supposed to go in a giant circle.  It built it exactly as the plans said.  So proud of myself.  So anyways me and some friend took it to the golf course I worked at.  Go it running and tossed it gently.  It went straight up like a rocket and rolled over backwards and came down at full power and smashed into a 100 pieces.  Gave my friends a good laugh, me not so much.
Link Posted: 7/23/2021 4:55:42 PM EDT
[#6]
I had a Stuka, too.

I may be remembering wrong about this, but didn't it have some sort of string you could pull to release a plastic toy bomb?

I seem to remember that, but it was over 50 years ago for me.

Link Posted: 7/23/2021 4:55:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Man those things could take the hide off your finger if you weren't careful!

My Dad had flown control line planes as a kid and loved it so he spent the time to get my 2 brothers and I reasonably good at it.  I think one of the keys was to use balsa wood kits as they were easier to repair after a nose dive into the dirt.  On second thought flying in a field instead of on asphalt might have helped too.  Some of our planes ended up being more glue than wood.  
My parents would take me to garage sales a lot and would never say no to me when I found someone selling a broken control line plane with an .049 engine. I think I still have a box of Cox .049 engines tucked away somewhere.
Link Posted: 7/23/2021 4:56:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Dad got me one and it lasted a few seconds before it hit the storm drain cover.

I remember it being pretty damn fast.
View Quote

Dad got me one lasted a few minutes before it hit Dad. Has some mass too, Red Baron Plane
Link Posted: 7/23/2021 4:57:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Ah yes.  Was the start to current tinnitus.  
Tuning a modified Fox .36x swinging a 8/8 prop, pacifier tank on a Super Satan every weekend for years.
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

https://www.vintagemodelplans.com/products/full-size-printed-plans-control-line-combat-engine-36-super-satan-top-combat-competition
Link Posted: 7/23/2021 4:59:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Had a P40 Warhawk and a Mitsubishi Zero.  Spent most of their time dogfighting each other.
Link Posted: 7/23/2021 5:03:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Someone mentioned the 010, that was/is the smallest production engine in the world.  I do not have one.

One on left is a TD051, middle is 020, left is a Queen Bee 074 r/c.  

Somewhere I have a couple of the little SureStarts that were in the RTF airplanes, cranky little bastards, lost somewhere in my shop.  

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/23/2021 5:03:54 PM EDT
[#12]
I collect vintage nitro toys, Cox, Dooling and McCoy mostly.

" />

Thimble Drome and McCoy .19

" />
Link Posted: 7/23/2021 5:05:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Christmas day, Santa brings me a yellow airboat style cox car.  We wait for the temps to warm a little. Noon we head out to the local school parking lot. Santa drives the spike into the tarmac.  Spins the blade, screams to life, and starts its circle track course.
  Faster and faster it goes, round and round. After a few loops it decides that it's a plane now, not a car.  One or two feet off the ground, the spike pulls out and we are off. Goes about 50 yards or so at a thousand mph and try's to knock down a curb.  The curb was not amused.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/486241/not_my_pix_jpg-2025274.JPG
View Quote

I had one of those airboat cars and a "Sprite" control line Indy car.

Link Posted: 7/23/2021 5:05:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Couldnt aford that , we haf whirleebird on a wire.
Link Posted: 7/23/2021 5:06:29 PM EDT
[#15]
My dad had a PT-19 from when he was a kid.  He never destroyed it but went through multiple engines/engine rebuilds.  He taught me how to fly it, I flew it a lot, no issues.  

I bought a control line plane later that had a pull starter that was a piece of plastic molded as a rack that interfaced with a gear.  I just spent 10 minutes trying to google that, with no luck.
Link Posted: 7/23/2021 5:08:56 PM EDT
[#16]
Aaaaaaahhhhh hahahahahah!
Link Posted: 7/23/2021 5:10:58 PM EDT
[#17]
Neighborhood kid had one.
It smelled good.
Link Posted: 7/23/2021 5:11:43 PM EDT
[#18]
King of the obnoxious control line.  

B1 250 KPH + Model tethered hydroplane 2017 world championships Bulgaria

And the steam powered ones in limey land.

A class steam powered model hydroplane
Link Posted: 7/23/2021 5:11:58 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I had one of those.  It's a miracle that we never lost any fingers.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Fun fact, they make control line cars too.

I had one of those.  It's a miracle that we never lost any fingers.

This is the one I had till the line broke and it went full speed into a wall.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/23/2021 5:12:06 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I had a PT-19 trainer, a P51 Mustang, and two home built.  Once I learned on the trainer, it was loads of fun.  Could never afford the rc models.
View Quote

Well, you can, NOW. What's stopping you from buying one? They're cheap as chips, and better than ever.

It's a great hobby. IM me if you want to know more.
Link Posted: 7/23/2021 5:13:24 PM EDT
[#21]
I had a P40 and an SE5a. Before the gas powered planes I had an electric P51 with a rechargeable battery. 1970s battery tech being what it was, flight time wasn't much, and it took awhile to recharge.
Link Posted: 7/23/2021 5:14:45 PM EDT
[#22]
Yup.
And the Spite cars..
Link Posted: 7/23/2021 5:17:56 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Well, you can, NOW. What's stopping you from buying one? They're cheap as chips, and better than ever.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I had a PT-19 trainer, a P51 Mustang, and two home built.  Once I learned on the trainer, it was loads of fun.  Could never afford the rc models.

Just like meth, it is cheap to start, lol.  
Link Posted: 7/23/2021 5:18:04 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
My brother got a brand new Stuka and Dad hooked the controls up backwards. Of course Dad had to fly it first and it went down when it was supposed to go up. Nose dive straight into the dirt and exploded all the plastic pieces, my brother was crushed.
View Quote

My brother had a Stuka and it very quickly met the same fate.
Link Posted: 7/23/2021 5:19:56 PM EDT
[#25]
As a kid, I augered my friends into the ground about 10 minutes after he got it.  
Link Posted: 7/23/2021 5:25:42 PM EDT
[#26]
Like many of y’all I never even got to fly mine since my dad crashed it shortly after takeoff; he immediately took me to the hobby shop and got one of the cars instead. At least I was the one that got to destroy that one...
Link Posted: 7/23/2021 5:30:49 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
.049 nitro methane fueled insaniac toys...

loved my P40 War Hawk
View Quote

I had that and the Stuka.
Link Posted: 7/23/2021 5:32:00 PM EDT
[#28]
My foster father bought me the P51 and I got the engine to run one time.  That was it.  I spent so much time trying to get that thing to start, but to no avail.  It finally ended up in the garage to be never messed with again.
Link Posted: 7/23/2021 5:32:49 PM EDT
[#29]
This forum always bring back memories.
I had a few of those, always under powered.unless you put a black widow engine in ( think that's what the were called ).
They never lasted very long but were fun.
I did build a balsa model you could convert to CL, I think it was a Guillows ( PItts biplane I think, I remember putting a sunburst paint job on it anyway ).
It only got as far as engine run up testing, never had the guts to fly it.
Even the child version of me knew that would be a suicide mission for the model.
I set on a shelf for years, but cant remember what happened to it.
Link Posted: 7/23/2021 5:36:37 PM EDT
[#30]
I had the Red Bushmaster one . Multiple landing gears . Even pontoons .

I begged for 6 months and had dillusionss of Grandeur .

Ya it made one flight .

The instructions said for the string to be way to long and the wind drove it out of its circle and that was it .
Link Posted: 7/23/2021 5:39:42 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Oh come on. All these posts any nobody reminiscing about the great smell of the airplanes burning fuel? Better than Hoppes No. 9!

View Quote

Nope Klots in gokarts.
Link Posted: 7/23/2021 5:40:25 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Oh come on. All these posts any nobody reminiscing about the great smell of the airplanes burning fuel? Better than Hoppes No. 9!

View Quote

Castor Oil.

I had a trainer.  It lasted pretty long.  Everyone in the neighborhood had them.  We'd put smoke bomb on them, shoot bottle rockets at them, whatever we could dream up.  

ETA: Everyone is complaining about getting the things running?  Every plane I came into contact with was reliable.  That was probably in the late 60's.  Maybe they got Chineesed or back then the cheap shit was Japanese.  I remember taking engines apart for the hell of it, etc.  I would hold my engine by the trainer firewall and run it in my hand.  There must have been 1/2 dozen planes around the neighborhood.
Link Posted: 7/23/2021 5:40:26 PM EDT
[#33]
I preferred 3 or 4 wheels:

Good times!

Link Posted: 7/23/2021 5:42:21 PM EDT
[#34]
I had the Spitfire too. after the inevitable crash I recycled the engine into a single servo R/C land yacht. Prop instead of sails. went like shit off a stick..
Link Posted: 7/23/2021 5:42:36 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Loud AF too
View Quote

Didn't they put mufflers around the exhaust ports after a while?
Link Posted: 7/23/2021 5:45:06 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Loud AF too
View Quote

Oh yeah...
Link Posted: 7/23/2021 5:46:10 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Ours came with rubber bands that kept it together so we could salvage it after the inevitable.
View Quote

those were the smart ones to buy
Link Posted: 7/23/2021 5:46:57 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
This is the one I had. Everything was rubber banded together so when it crashed, it wouldn't break.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/224539718600?hash=item34479c33c8:g:riEAAOSwX2Ng9PHB
View Quote
Had the same one. Shredded my finger starting it.
Link Posted: 7/23/2021 5:58:33 PM EDT
[#39]
I found out quick (like half a circle) that round and round transitions to up and down.
As in straight down.
Link Posted: 7/23/2021 5:58:34 PM EDT
[#40]
How toxic was the fuel and readily absorbed by the skin?....

Amazing what a kid could go buy with his lawn mowing money back then....LOL
Link Posted: 7/23/2021 6:00:18 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I still got one of my old .049 engines. Do they make R/C models that use .049? I'd like an R/C version of the lil' Satan.
Link Posted: 7/23/2021 6:04:33 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 7/23/2021 6:15:00 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/486241/not_my_pix_jpg-2025274.JPG
View Quote

Reminds me of my Cox dragster.

Got it set up on the long guideline, tweaked the engine perfectly, and off it went screaming down the guideline. It managed to bounce at the perfect time, missing the little bead on the line that would normally shut down the engine and deploy the dragchute. It hit the end of the line still at full throttle, broke the line, screamed across the parking lot, and ran into a brick wall...shattering into a zillion pieces.
Link Posted: 7/23/2021 6:15:29 PM EDT
[#44]
i remember my sister ran into mine when i was flying or did i run into her when i got dizzy, lol

1980's pure innocent fun
Link Posted: 7/23/2021 6:17:40 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I had the Corsair.  I wonder if it's still at my parents house.
View Quote

Same.  But mine is long gone
Link Posted: 7/23/2021 6:20:19 PM EDT
[#46]
Cox had an "early bird" series. IIRC, it was the Sopwith Camel, Fokker DR1, and the Fokker DVII. I had the DVII.
Link Posted: 7/23/2021 6:25:24 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

I still got one of my old .049 engines. Do they make R/C models that use .049? I'd like an R/C version of the lil' Satan.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They do.  Look up Balsa Workbench, they sell some short kits of old Ace kits that were designed for the old Cox engines.  Honestly not worth it.  Norvel or NV 1/2A sized engines and were easier to run.  Today electric is a lot less trouble and more power.  However, nothing smells like burned nitro.  
Link Posted: 7/23/2021 6:37:26 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

This is the one I had till the line broke and it went full speed into a wall.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/184999/39BBF08A-C880-431B-A23E-E5C8F168C0C5_png-2025289.JPG
View Quote

Only car I ever saw was that or similar.
We spent what seemed like 30-60 minutes getting it started, and then it went down the string OMGfast, at the end when the string split into two and the car was supposed to shut off and pop the chute it did neither. Hit the end of the string and did 60-0 in a couple of feet. Never saw the owner bring it outdoors again.

Another neighbor's dad had a Sprite control line plane.

I've got some big block engines somewhere, like Tower Hobbies ABC 0.40 and 0.61.
Wonder if those are worth anything.
Link Posted: 7/23/2021 6:45:23 PM EDT
[#49]
Older brother had the P-39 Airacobra, the chrome one. That thing was tough, survived a lot of impacts. He was good at flying it and allowed me to take it for a few spins as long as I kept it level.

I get the Stuka for Xmas. What a beautiful toy and, yes, it had a bomb you could drop with the pull of a third string. Since my brother was better at flying than I was, he takes it on its maiden flight. 3/4 of a turn in, it nosedives for no apparent reason and promptly shatters a wing. I glue it back together (good ol' Testors, before they got "safe") and take it out for myself. 3/4 of a turn in, it nosedives for no apparent reason and promptly shatters a wing.
I figure the elevator was too touchy even though, IIRC, it was adjustable for sensitivity. It became a static toy thereafter.

Younger brother gets the PT-19 for Xmas a year later. Proceeded to crash it relentlessly until the engine had had enough.

Not long ago, saw a Stuka on eBay, NIB. Still as beautiful of a toy as I remembered, but not $200 beautiful only to be kamikazed, again. lol
Link Posted: 7/23/2021 6:48:24 PM EDT
[#50]
Do young boys still play with stuff like this?

Or do they just sit in their rooms with their cell phones watching trannies on YouTube while plucking their eyebrows?
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top