Site Notices
Page / 6
Link Posted: 7/23/2021 6:48:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
First engine I ever tore down and reassembled was a Cox .049
View Quote

I had a free flight Huey that I flew a couple of times, then tore down and reassembled the motor.  Never did put it back on the helicopter.

Link Posted: 7/23/2021 6:49:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
.049 nitro methane fueled insaniac toys...

loved my P40 War Hawk
View Quote
Yasssss. I had the same one.
Link Posted: 7/23/2021 6:54:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Do young boys still play with stuff like this?

Or do they just sit in their rooms with their cell phones watching trannies on YouTube while plucking their eyebrows?
View Quote

My son likes airplane stuff.

Some dudes on YT that some absolutely loves, Flite Test.  A couple of their friends are around here as well.

The quadcopter/drone arena is decidedly more popular.
Link Posted: 7/23/2021 6:55:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Ringmaster. Ringmaster Jr, Nobler and more.  All made with my Dad.
Link Posted: 7/23/2021 6:56:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I've got some big block engines somewhere, like Tower Hobbies ABC 0.40 and 0.61.
Wonder if those are worth anything.
View Quote

Nope
Link Posted: 7/23/2021 6:56:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Those tether cars are insanely fast.
View Quote
they were quite capable of supersonic speeds once detached from the control line
Link Posted: 7/23/2021 6:59:48 PM EDT
[#7]
No better smell than Cox gas.
Link Posted: 7/23/2021 7:01:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I had the P51.  Never could get it to fly.
View Quote
Mine flew very good, for about 9 seconds.

Of course this was a built in safety feature by Cox as they didn't want a bunch of lawsuits for damaged hearing due to the proximity to the Sonic Boom.
Link Posted: 7/23/2021 7:05:14 PM EDT
[#9]
I had one of the Red Baron triplanes for about 20 minutes

Got it for my birthday. Dad and uncle took it out to the lawn to test it out. It was airborne for about 2 seconds before plowing into the ground and disintegrating. My dad salvaged the engine and fuel tank and mounted it to a toy jeep I had. Imagine a WWII army jeep with a forward facing propeller mounted on top of about a 6" tall piece of wood.

We took it out to a nearby parking lot and let it run. No tether or guide line. No shroud on the propeller so you really needed to be careful around it when it was running.
I think we ran it 2 or 3 times before my dad realized that somebody was going to loose a finger. The engine came off soon after.

Also had the Baja Bug pictured on pg 2.
Cool little car but a cranky bastard to get started. Never could keep it running long enough to have much fun with it.
Link Posted: 7/23/2021 7:08:59 PM EDT
[#10]
I flew a lot of gas planes but never on a line.
Those guys are nuts.

I remember my dad telling me that he used to run them quite a bit.
Link Posted: 7/23/2021 7:09:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I had the Red Bushmaster one . Multiple landing gears . Even pontoons .

I begged for 6 months and had dillusionss of Grandeur .

Ya it made one flight .

The instructions said for the string to be way to long and the wind drove it out of its circle and that was it .
View Quote

Funny how that works huh?

I had 2.

Plastic hunks of junk.

They could not actually "fly" and basically needed a circle radius tight enough that it was part tension that got them off the ground and elevator control.    The wings were useless basically.

By the time you got the circle toght enough you would get dizzy from spinning round and round enough.

The balsa stuff would actually fly and you could use longer lines.

I lost interest quickly.
Link Posted: 7/23/2021 7:14:26 PM EDT
[#12]
I had a PT-19 Trainer......They were a lot of fun and it seemed the smaller the COX models were the better.

Like this one.... :45 in.

Link Posted: 7/23/2021 7:16:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Fun fact, they make control line cars too.

My brother had one from back in the day. That car was crazy fast and it would hit a bump on the sidewalk and the rear wheel would bump off the ground for a spolit second. I think that little nitro engine hit 50,000 RPM when it did that.
Link Posted: 7/23/2021 7:52:25 PM EDT
[#14]
How did you guys take the planes off?  We always flew them in backyards = on grass, so we used an improvised human catapult - we ran and threw them.
Link Posted: 7/23/2021 7:59:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
How did you guys take the planes off?  We always flew them in backyards = on grass, so we used an improvised human catapult - we ran and threw them.
View Quote

Always did the side arm launch thing with a friend.  Gave a little extra "umph" for the dive into the grass.

For anyone curious about getting into control line again, check out these dudes.  https://brodak.com/control-line-kits.html

Anyone thinking the little Cox buggers are loud:  

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 7/23/2021 8:04:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
My brother got a brand new Stuka and Dad hooked the controls up backwards. Of course Dad had to fly it first and it went down when it was supposed to go up. Nose dive straight into the dirt and exploded all the plastic pieces, my brother was crushed.
View Quote

This is exactly my story.
Link Posted: 7/23/2021 8:05:47 PM EDT
[#17]
Less a plane race, more a test of equilibrium.
Link Posted: 7/23/2021 8:18:19 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
What’s up with the homos wearing helmets and knee pads? LoL. My former 8yo self laughs.
View Quote

Could be for combat.  They are making the planes go all around, so they have to move a lot too, to moves round the other pilots..  And you have a 5-10# model going 60 mph that may collide with another, and pieces go flying everywhere, including the metal engine.

Now that RC is cheap and relatively easy, I myself don’t see the continued draw to control line by anyone.  But that’s just me.
Link Posted: 7/23/2021 8:23:58 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
A longer line set stops spastic spinning.

Cox Black Widow .049 is best .049.  Fuck Teedee .049!

I had the Cox Red Baron, which was a solid red .020 powered version of their Pitts Special.  Later, I built kits from balsa and tissue.
View Quote

My uncle bought the Red Baron.  I don’t recall if he ever got it to fly in a controlled flight, I was maybe 3-4 at the time.
I ended up getting it.   If my Dad and I ever tried to run it, pretty sure we never got it to run for very long - like a couple seconds.
But had the plane for a while.   Completely covered with nitro fuel and probably castor oil.  That’s probably the odor most recall.

That was the only exposure I ever had to control line.   Other than what I saw in model airplane news, model builder, and maybe flying models and the AMA magazines.  Used to buy and read those things like crazy.
Link Posted: 7/23/2021 8:27:27 PM EDT
[#20]
Still got a scar on my knuckle from the prop from 50 years ago.  I doubt we got the damn thing to work more than a couple of times and when it did work, it ended up badly.
Link Posted: 7/23/2021 8:28:28 PM EDT
[#21]
If you set them on fire, there were multiple failure modes. Sometimes the gas tank would go and you would have a spectacular fire. Other times, one or both wing would come off.

The best was when the control strings would burn off and the damned thing went straight for the woods.

The woods fire pretty much ended the U control flights.
Link Posted: 7/23/2021 8:33:18 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/23/2021 8:35:28 PM EDT
[#23]
My dad always wrecked them before we got to play with them.
Link Posted: 7/23/2021 8:36:27 PM EDT
[#24]
Having read this thread, I now feel better about wrecking my US Navy flight trainer first time out.
Link Posted: 7/23/2021 8:40:26 PM EDT
[#25]
I had a corsair.

they are NOT easy for a young kid to control
Link Posted: 7/23/2021 8:41:46 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Having read this thread, I now feel better about wrecking my US Navy flight trainer first time out.
View Quote

The way I remember it, the trainer was big and relatively slow.  It was also durable and designed to come apart.  Rubber bands held the wings and the engine on.  Hit the ground and it all came apart.  I think the hardest plane to fly was the P51.  It was small, fast and not designed to come apart.  I think P51's had a longer lifespan in WWII than they did in our backyard!
Link Posted: 7/23/2021 8:41:56 PM EDT
[#27]
Oh yeah, built a bunch out of balsa wood, and some plastic ones from Cox.  .049 engines were easy, but the other competitors were not the same.  Introduced my son into flight with control line, but never caught on.

Yep, I’m old
Link Posted: 7/23/2021 8:43:05 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Fun fact, they make control line cars too.

I had the Vega funny car
Link Posted: 7/23/2021 8:45:09 PM EDT
[#29]
My dad had the PT-19 and a free flight helicopter. I don’t ever remember flying the helicopter, but I did fly the PT-19. Then we built a homemade plane. It’s out in my shop now, hasn’t run in probably 35 years.

The old man probably still has his stashed away somewhere.
Link Posted: 7/23/2021 8:55:30 PM EDT
[#30]
I had this one.  Uncontrolled but very stable in flight.  It survived many flights and Igave it away after I got older and too cool for it.  Wish I still had it.Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/23/2021 8:56:54 PM EDT
[#31]
Oh god I remember those!!

I had a Corsair that had a way to drop a center tank or bomb..don't remember which.
I also had a prop driven car that ran along a tether (Shrike maybe?).
The one that I abused the most was one you can't have today.  It was a FREON powered rocket car from Estes.  It used a reusable aluminum engine that you filled from a small aerosol can filled with freon.  My dad did refrigeration work and I had an unlimited supply of R-12 back then.  Eventually I blew the aluminum engine apart in a spectacular fashion.
Link Posted: 7/23/2021 8:57:14 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

The way I remember it, the trainer was big and relatively slow.  It was also durable and designed to come apart.  Rubber bands held the wings and the engine on.  Hit the ground and it all came apart.  I think the hardest plane to fly was the P51.  It was small, fast and not designed to come apart.  I think P51's had a longer lifespan in WWII than they did in our backyard!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't recall rubber bands but it was 50 years ago.  I do remember that the plastic wings and body were cracked and broken.
Link Posted: 7/23/2021 8:57:48 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
They were very hard to control and had a very short life due to crashes
View Quote

I never made it one time around.
Link Posted: 7/23/2021 9:11:54 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

They do.  Look up Balsa Workbench, they sell some short kits of old Ace kits that were designed for the old Cox engines.  Honestly not worth it.  Norvel or NV 1/2A sized engines and were easier to run.  Today electric is a lot less trouble and more power.  However, nothing smells like burned nitro.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I had a PT-19 trainer, a P51 Mustang, and two home built.  Once I learned on the trainer, it was loads of fun.  Could never afford the rc models.

Well, you can, NOW. What's stopping you from buying one? They're cheap as chips, and better than ever.

It's a great hobby. IM me if you want to know more.

I still got one of my old .049 engines. Do they make R/C models that use .049? I'd like an R/C version of the lil' Satan.

They do.  Look up Balsa Workbench, they sell some short kits of old Ace kits that were designed for the old Cox engines.  Honestly not worth it.  Norvel or NV 1/2A sized engines and were easier to run.  Today electric is a lot less trouble and more power.  However, nothing smells like burned nitro.  

@broken_reticle

Thanks! I'm going to be retired in a year so I'll have to play around with one of these! I still have the engine and an old 4 channel radio so why not?
Link Posted: 7/23/2021 9:12:27 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I don't recall rubber bands but it was 50 years ago.  I do remember that the plastic wings and body were cracked and broken.
View Quote

The trainer was very durable.  It's only vulnerabilities were the lugs on the wings and the fuselage that the rubber bands wrapped around and attached to.  It took a while, but eventually those would break.  We had workarounds like putting a machine screw and nuts here and there to replace the lugs.  

I can't imagine what the liability insurance on that business would be today.
Link Posted: 7/23/2021 9:13:25 PM EDT
[#36]
I liked the free-flight UFO.
Link Posted: 7/23/2021 9:29:08 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
For the first flight my dad says "I'll try it out for you to make sure everything works right". That flight lasted 5 seconds, it never flew again, due to its somewhat expected unairworthiness.
View Quote

Yep my P40 had the same fate.
Link Posted: 7/23/2021 9:30:15 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

They make a tiny one called the Tee Dee 0.01. not sure if it is still in production but was 15 or so years ago when I was into RC planes.

I wanted one just for the novelty of having the (at the time) worlds smallest production internal combustion engine.
View Quote

Used on ebay, $148.00
Link Posted: 7/23/2021 9:33:12 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I doubt mine survived the first 30 seconds.
View Quote

Yeah I had a couple of them but they didn't last long.
Link Posted: 7/23/2021 9:33:35 PM EDT
[#40]
My dad got me a P51 Mustang

On the maden flight, he got dizzy, fell down, legs up, and the string wrapped around his legs until the plane went up and then dived into the ground. The nipple shirred off the fuel tank

For the rest of my childhood I attempted to fix the fuel tank. Bastard never got me another plane
Link Posted: 7/23/2021 9:34:36 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
My brother got a brand new Stuka and Dad hooked the controls up backwards. Of course Dad had to fly it first and it went down when it was supposed to go up. Nose dive straight into the dirt and exploded all the plastic pieces, my brother was crushed.
View Quote
I had a Stuka too, first and only flight my dad did about a quarter circle it went straight up and straight down in the banks parking lot. Wasn't much left to clean up. I was pretty crushed also.
Link Posted: 7/23/2021 9:40:36 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I had a Cox PT-19 Trainer that I could barely fly. Those flights usually ended in crashes.

Google 'Cox PT-19 Trainer' and look at the prices!! Some are $350.00!!

https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Fi.ytimg.com%2Fvi%2F7YIVg7wWhzs%2Fmaxresdefault.jpg&f=1&nofb=1
View Quote
Had the same one.  It ended badly for it.
Link Posted: 7/23/2021 9:42:03 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Used on ebay, $148.00
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They make a tiny one called the Tee Dee 0.01. not sure if it is still in production but was 15 or so years ago when I was into RC planes.

I wanted one just for the novelty of having the (at the time) worlds smallest production internal combustion engine.

Used on ebay, $148.00

No longer made and a lot of drunk nostalgia bidding going on.  

NiB, $165.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?3937129-Cox-TD-010-NIB
Link Posted: 7/23/2021 9:43:48 PM EDT
[#44]
Dad got me this one and taught me to fly it. He was great at it (he flew them as a kid) but at 5,000ft elevation it couldn’t put out enough power to do any acrobatics. I had a few successful flights and a lot of bad ones. Eventually mounted the engine to a piece of 1x4 and strapped it to my bmx  bike handlebars but the desired thrust just wasn’t there.

Link Posted: 7/23/2021 9:48:02 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Dad got me this one and taught me to fly it. He was great at it (he flew them as a kid) but at 5,000ft elevation it couldn’t put out enough power to do any acrobatics. I eventually mounted the engine to a piece of 1x4 and strapped it to my box bike handlebars but the desired thrust just wasn’t there.

https://www.picclickimg.com/d/l400/pict/292364504209_/New-in-Box-Cox-Super-Chipmunk-049-U.jpg
View Quote

That Super Chipmunk and the similar biplane posted above were both representative of Art Scholl's aircraft.  He was very famous for his Super Chipmunk at airshows.  He was killed in 1985 while filming for Top Gun.  He died in a similar scenario to Goose.
Link Posted: 7/23/2021 9:49:08 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote
Same, was drastically underpowered. So I grew up and got into RC. Giant scale up to 42% scale planes up to 200cc. Most were 33% and 150cc gas engines.
Link Posted: 7/23/2021 9:51:04 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Oh come on. All these posts any nobody reminiscing about the great smell of the airplanes burning fuel? Better than Hoppes No. 9!
View Quote

I believe Cox went belly up several years ago, but their products can still be bought unused in the original packaging on E-bay.  I’m tempted to buy one just for the smell.
Link Posted: 7/23/2021 9:52:01 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
My dad got me a P51 Mustang

The nipple shirred off the fuel tank

For the rest of my childhood I attempted to fix the fuel tank
View Quote

The trainer with the metal gas tank on the back of the engine must have been the only good design Cox had.  Your post reminds me the P51 tank was part of the body with 2 nips, one for fueling and one to vent.  Those planes leaked and broke up way to easy.

Link Posted: 7/23/2021 9:54:21 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

I believe Cox went belly up several years ago, but their products can still be bought unused in the original packaging on E-bay.  I’m tempted to buy one just for the smell.
View Quote

You my friend have just come out as a Cox Sniffer!
Link Posted: 7/23/2021 9:58:31 PM EDT
[#50]
I had the purple one. Good times
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top