Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 11
Link Posted: 11/10/2023 4:28:51 PM EDT
[#1]
My wife goes to the office one day a week. My buddy who works at my company's corporate offices, works 4x10's with one of those days being remote.

My department went to 4x10's back in June and we're loving it and still getting all of our work done.
Link Posted: 11/10/2023 4:29:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Friend of mine has a work-from-home job with an Israeli company.  Remote work really opens up what businesses you can apply for, and what workers those businesses can attract.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not to mention international work now slowly opening up more.

Big business can scream and shout about returning to the office, but it’s not going to happen en masse like some on here secretly (and not so secretly) wish for.

Friend of mine has a work-from-home job with an Israeli company.  Remote work really opens up what businesses you can apply for, and what workers those businesses can attract.

Yup, and there are other regions with excellent engineers in the knowledge field.

Hint: it definitely isn’t India…
Link Posted: 11/10/2023 4:29:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
We experimented with contracting out some of our programming work to an Indian office when we were slammed and
not enough resources in-house to do it all.
The quality of what we got back was less than impressive. Took us more time to redo a bunch of the code we paid them for.
Management learned a valuable lesson there.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Do/Should WFH peeps worry their jobs turn into WFH peeps from overseas taking their jobs?

I'm sure they can find a cheaper workforce of all you need is an internet connection.

We experimented with contracting out some of our programming work to an Indian office when we were slammed and
The quality of what we got back was less than impressive. Took us more time to redo a bunch of the code we paid them for.

My son calculated that he does more work than 18 Indians.

Plus, the work he does is correct.
Link Posted: 11/10/2023 4:29:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Our senior management is pushing everyone to come work in the office full time, mainly because they’re locked into the expensive lease on our needlessly extravagant office for several more years. They’re delusional if they think people are going to agree to it; most of us already worked remotely before covid started. I live several hours from our office and there is a zero-point-zero percent chance I’m ever going to agree to commute to the office even one day a week.
Link Posted: 11/10/2023 4:31:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Do/Should WFH peeps worry their jobs turn into WFH peeps from overseas taking their jobs?

I'm sure they can find a cheaper workforce of all you need is an internet connection.

I believe it.

The masses in India are largely script/procedure driven.  Anything that deviates from what they are prescribed to handle gets circulated around until someone, somehow figures out what the issue is.  Very often, that meant kicking it back to engineers in the USA.

Lo, the issues were handled within a day or two.  Imagine that.  

I have personally seen this.
Link Posted: 11/10/2023 4:32:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Follow the money
Link Posted: 11/10/2023 4:33:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Locations are becoming meaningless.  I could set up a tool for my client, right now, in Azure and build, maintain, hire a team, etc. from anywhere in the world.  

if he actually listened to me and stopped trying to run his business off Excel..

BUT I'M NOT BITTER

LOL
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I just don't know how you put that cat back in the bag.  I have a friends that work from home since COVID pushed that.   At their companies many work from home pretty much full time.  Unless you are unlucky and your manager thinks it's necessary to be in the office.

Lots of people around here are remote working. It's not like there are tech companies in southern Utah (as far as I know)

Locations are becoming meaningless.  I could set up a tool for my client, right now, in Azure and build, maintain, hire a team, etc. from anywhere in the world.  

if he actually listened to me and stopped trying to run his business off Excel..

BUT I'M NOT BITTER

LOL

Link Posted: 11/10/2023 4:33:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

It’s already significantly down from what it once was.

As metro areas put pressure on large corporations/threaten to remove tax breaks, more people will be going hybrid and then back to the office.

Fortune 200 here, senior mgmt- I’ve heard the discussions.

Here
View Quote

Spoken like true senior management!
Link Posted: 11/10/2023 4:33:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Lots of people around here are remote working. It's not like there are tech companies in southern Utah (as far as I know)
View Quote
I live in nowhere Indiana.  I have neighbors, I am not on a farm or something, but I live among farmers.  If I leave my house right now, I can be driving on roads which are nothing but corn fields on both sides, before my truck's engine is warm enough to make heat.  

There is next to zero employment where I live which is in my career field (software development).  There is no income for me to make in the location in which I live.  I have though, been here and been working in my career remotely for over 16 years now.  I haven't worked in an office in nearly 2 decades.  I have no plans of ever doing so again.

I have been at my current company for 10 of those years and I have been to the corp office a total of 1 time before they sold it.  I have never met my current manager in person at this job, nor have I ever met any of my coworkers in my department.  100% of the IT department is remote and the infrastructure is in a colo. I could however call any of them at 3am, no matter where there are and they will answer with "What's up Burnsy?".

It doesn't matter where we are.  It matters who we are.
Link Posted: 11/10/2023 4:34:16 PM EDT
[#10]
The wifes entire IT dept across several states went 100% WFH and have been that way for a few years now. It aint goin back.
Link Posted: 11/10/2023 4:35:51 PM EDT
[#11]
My boss tried that about 18 months ago.

He's quickly come to the realization that it's not working and he's hardly coming in now after he moved 20 miles away.

I still go in a couple of times per week to check on infrastructure and it's nice and peaceful there.  My offsite backup server is also there so I sometimes have to add drives.
Link Posted: 11/10/2023 4:36:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

It's already significantly down from what it once was.

As metro areas put pressure on large corporations/threaten to remove tax breaks, more people will be going hybrid and then back to the office.

Fortune 200 here, senior mgmt- I've heard the discussions.

Here
View Quote
That's not very green of these liberal cities
Link Posted: 11/10/2023 4:36:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I believe it.

The masses in India are largely script/procedure driven.  Anything that deviates from what they are prescribed to handle gets circulated around until someone, somehow figures out what the issue is.  Very often, that meant kicking it back to engineers in the USA.

View Quote

Not to mention fake credentials. In the past I worked with an outsourced QA. Supposedly he was a certified Salesforce Administrator - yet didn't even know how to access the object manager in setup - let alone know anything about how anything worked.
Link Posted: 11/10/2023 4:39:34 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Not to mention fake credentials. In the past I worked with an outsourced QA. Supposedly he was a certified Salesforce Administrator - yet didn't even know how to access the object manager in setup - let alone know anything about how anything worked.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I believe it.

HUGE problem with outsourcing - you are further away from knowing who you are getting.
Link Posted: 11/10/2023 4:39:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Businesses will try to bring people back, especially the ones getting pressure from cities who want wage slaves spending money downtown.

Those businesses will end up with lower quality employees and that might be good enough for some of them, to be honest.

One thing that’s guaranteed is a lot of lessons will be learned the hard way because there’s so many players interested in getting a cut of the employees money like they did before the lockdowns.
Link Posted: 11/10/2023 4:41:09 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Businesses will try to bring people back, especially the ones getting pressure from cities who want wage slaves spending money downtown.

Those businesses will end up with lower quality employees and that might be good enough for some of them, to be honest.

One thing that’s guaranteed is a lot of lessons will be learned the hard way because there’s so many players interested in getting a cut of the employees money like they did before the lockdowns.
View Quote

Companies in those cities that push too hard for RTO will create competitors who brace WFH.  I’ve seen it happen in healthcare contracts I’ve had.
Link Posted: 11/10/2023 4:41:11 PM EDT
[#17]
Remote work isn't going anywhere for those in the fields that allow it. It helps companies by giving them a larger pool of workers that they would not have normally. Now before anyone says, "well, if it can be done remotely, it can be done by someone in India", while that is true, it's also detrimental to any company as the quality of work diminishes and timelines have to be extended to account for their incompetence.
Link Posted: 11/10/2023 4:41:40 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Remote work isn't going anywhere for those in the fields that allow it. It helps companies by giving them a larger pool of workers that they would not have normally. Now before anyone says, "well, if it can be done remotely, it can be done by someone in India", while that is true, it's also detrimental to any company as the quality of work diminishes and timelines have to be extended to account for their incompetence.
View Quote

Bears repeating.
Link Posted: 11/10/2023 4:42:28 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Here
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, it isn’t.

Here

Fortune 200 just means you have institutional inertia and can't pivot quickly or react to changing market forces quickly.

"This is how we did it for years, and it's gonna keep working!"

For most knowledge work, I don't know of anyone who intentionally seeks to work at Fortune 500/200/100 companies. They are godawful places to work if you are in a career field where remote work really shines.

Non-Fortune management - have been very successful with remote and hybrid work at my company.
Link Posted: 11/10/2023 4:47:12 PM EDT
[#20]
Would be nice to get the income of a san fran living lifestyle in a rusty belt Ohio town.
Link Posted: 11/10/2023 4:48:32 PM EDT
[#21]
When my last employer told employees to return to office I retired instead!  
Link Posted: 11/10/2023 4:48:34 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Would be nice to get the income of a san fran living lifestyle in a rusty belt Ohio town.
View Quote

Until I lost my main job and got sick with dengue fever, I was living, legally, in Thailand making overseas earnings (US income).

It is unmatched.  Working remote + finding a cheap area = gold.
Link Posted: 11/10/2023 4:49:25 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
My company sold the corp office.  There is no where for me to go to work......to.  They are not going to buy another office lol.

A friend works IT for a law firm that rented 8 floors in an office building in a large city.  Not a "sky scraper" I would say, but floors 27-34 smack in the middle of down town.  So...I am sure the rent wasn't cheap.  The "corner partners" were the big dog attorneys with literally that, the building corner offices with floor to ceiling windows of the city below.

They have 2 floors left, they let the rest of them go.  They keep those two for servers, IT hardware and other infrastructure.  The only people who go there are the hardware guys and people who need to pull physical paperwork.  He said they have no plans of going back and everyone has scattered around the globe.  That the higher ups have expressed that if the company tries to make them go back to working in an office, they have formed a unified front that they will all go elsewhere.

The company then tried.  They sent out a notice to a bunch of people that if they didn't show up to the office the following Monday, they would be terminated.  Nobody showed up and nobody has been terminated.
View Quote

That’s the real race.

If company can offload a leased  or sell their office property the people doing WFH are doing it until employment status changes.

Commercial properties are going to get a bunch cheaper.

The next trend i see is urban redevelopment away from commercial turning these buildings into apartments with lower costs than rural to try to draw people back in.
Link Posted: 11/10/2023 4:51:14 PM EDT
[#24]
I have 17 months left and barely keeping it together as my health is shot, if I had to go back to office full time I'd go out on disability..that said out of 360 employees about 40 go to the office.  

I go in when I have to..got major infrastructure upgrades coming so I'll be in the office a bit more..

Unfortunately we own the 8 story building and the public visit about 4 days a month..
Link Posted: 11/10/2023 4:51:47 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote
As much as I love working remotely, companies are not blind to that.

A previous company that I worked remotely for was based in Scottsdale AZ.  It's a fairly wealthy place, at least in comparison to small town Indiana. While my pay was most certainly higher than I could make here, it was adjusted down some vs if I lived and worked in Scottsdale.  They got a somewhat cheaper employee than having to higher local and I got to work in my boxer shorts from my recliner.  

It was a trade off that I accepted as fair.  
Link Posted: 11/10/2023 4:52:53 PM EDT
[#26]
Many kinds of work can be done better at home. If the job requires nothing more than a computer and a desk, WFH allows for a much larger applicant pool and saves tons of money on property/office costs. There are many other benefits, but those two alone are enough for it to have staying power despite how many big businesses and media outlets write articles about it being doomed to go away (because they are invested in office property and want people to give them money again, or are being paid by those who do).
Link Posted: 11/10/2023 4:55:04 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's already significantly down from what it once was.

Fortune 200 here, senior mgmt- I've heard the discussions.

Here

We should target their ESG scores.
Link Posted: 11/10/2023 4:57:17 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
My wife's firm just tried mandating 3 days/week and everyone told them to pound sand.

It's not 2020 bad, but it will never go back to prepandemic levels.

Foot traffic in Downtown Chicago is a fraction of what it used to be.
View Quote

crime is down and the mayor taking credit?
Link Posted: 11/10/2023 4:59:24 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Not to mention structural tightening of the labor market. Boomers are retiring and Gen Z is smaller. The size of the boomer generation resulted in oversupply of labor for the past 30+ years. This is changing and will.be shifting the long term balance of power away from employers.

Also factored in is the increased competition for high skill workers, especially in tech applications.

I do software development in banking. Even regional banks need significant teams if in-house analysts, admins, and devs to configure and maintain their applications. Ten years ago, banks this size had a fraction of that as they still heavily used paper processes and lots of clerical positions instead of automation. It adds up to increased competition for workers who can build and maintain this stuff

And for the inevitable 'they can just send the job to India!'.. LOL. I've seen it attempted with high skill (not help desk) jobs. Failed spectacularly each time.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I just don't know how you put that cat back in the bag.  I have a friends that work from home since COVID pushed that.   At their companies many work from home pretty much full time.  Unless you are unlucky and your manager thinks its necessary to be in the office.

Not to mention structural tightening of the labor market. Boomers are retiring and Gen Z is smaller. The size of the boomer generation resulted in oversupply of labor for the past 30+ years. This is changing and will.be shifting the long term balance of power away from employers.

Also factored in is the increased competition for high skill workers, especially in tech applications.

I do software development in banking. Even regional banks need significant teams if in-house analysts, admins, and devs to configure and maintain their applications. Ten years ago, banks this size had a fraction of that as they still heavily used paper processes and lots of clerical positions instead of automation. It adds up to increased competition for workers who can build and maintain this stuff

And for the inevitable 'they can just send the job to India!'.. LOL. I've seen it attempted with high skill (not help desk) jobs. Failed spectacularly each time.

Alcatel-Lucent sent a fairly mature product (wireless emergency alert cell broadcast center) I worked on to an employee team in Poland.  They handled it just fine.  At 1/3 the cost.  Well, at least it was 1/3 the cost initially.  Employees in Poland would get poached by other companies offering raises, so pretty soon it wasn't so cheap to be in Poland.  Anyway, the main point is there are plenty of smart programmers outside the US, you just have to find and retain them.
Link Posted: 11/10/2023 5:00:52 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote
My employer has been trying this for a couple of years now and it's impressive to see how badly the standards of work drop. It's one thing to farm out work to Europe, even Eastern Europe (which is maybe 70-90% as productive as good US-based work on average) but farming out work to PH failed miserably (workers doing in a week what would take a US worker a few hours at most) and IN is maybe 50% as good on average but the rare really good ones (80-90% work of a US worker) keep getting taken by higher-priority teams.

If an IN worker cost half as much, it still isn't worth it over a US worker for the quality and quantity of work they do. And an IN worker does not cost even close to half as much as a US worker according to the numbers I've seen for wages and benefits. And the PH workers cost almost as much as a US worker in wages (though not in benefits) due to the shitty contract the company did, which is both hilarious and sad for how shit of a job they do.
Link Posted: 11/10/2023 5:01:47 PM EDT
[#31]
It took the company I work for 2 years to admit it, but our metrics confirm we are a lot more productive working from home that we are working in the cubicle farm.
Link Posted: 11/10/2023 5:02:44 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Alcatel-Lucent sent a fairly mature product (wireless emergency alert cell broadcast center) I worked on to an employee team in Poland.  They handled it just fine.  At 1/3 the cost.  Well, at least it was 1/3 the cost initially.  Employees in Poland would get poached by other companies offering raises, so pretty soon it wasn't so cheap to be in Poland.  Anyway, the main point is there are plenty of smart programmers outside the US, you just have to find and retain them.
View Quote

There are good people in other countries, they just aren't the cheap ones.

Not to mention the time zone, cultural, and language differences combined are a bigger challenge than most corporate management can handle
Link Posted: 11/10/2023 5:03:54 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 11/10/2023 5:04:57 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I believe it.

Working with foreign outsourced resources is great fun when you ask questions like, "So, where's the MSA and SOW for these guys?  What're their KPI/OKRs?  How is QC/QA being handled? What're the escalation paths?" Etc...and get a whole lot of deer in headlights back at you.  

I'm a worker bee, but I'm able to see this. The exec who whacked 90% of the US workforce for that client's group (to replace with said foreign workers) probably got one giant attaboy for it though.

No, if they could have outsourced the work, they would have, whether or not WFH was a thing.

There is utility in meeting your team in person though.  Once in awhile.  Lots of stuff gets learned in person, sitting in a conference room cranking out XYZ deliverable, that I find you don't get on Teams calls.  But you don't need to do it very often.  For my work, a brief 2 day trip, every other month, scratches the itch.  

3 days a week?  For knowledge workers?!  So I can commute to a shitty workstation and then go on Teams to talk to people? Lol.

Sorry about your commercial leases and your cities shrinking tax base.
Link Posted: 11/10/2023 5:06:20 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Urban areas (democrats)  are losing their tax revenues

View Quote

And there it is....Can everyone work from home, no that's silly as many jobs will need to continue to be "in person." Can *some* jobs be remote or at the very least, Hybrid? Yes they can and for many reasons will continue to be since the genie is out of the bottle.

In before "if you're not in the office strapped to a chair, you're fucking off" crowd.
Link Posted: 11/10/2023 5:06:22 PM EDT
[#36]
Not for me.  My company wants to sell our building and way downsize to just big enough for a size or so people plus 10 floaters who pop in & put.
Link Posted: 11/10/2023 5:06:39 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I believe it.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I believe it.

That is pretty much how my son described it.

Link Posted: 11/10/2023 5:07:07 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Bears repeating.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bears repeating.

I'd probably expand on that a bit and say, if it could be successfully done in India, it already was.  That global outsourcing phenomena is nothing new.  It works for the most basic of things but not for anything timely, complex, or mission-critical.  I'd think most of the business world has learned that the hard way by now.    Good luck to the companies wanting to try it in those areas in 2023.
Link Posted: 11/10/2023 5:07:15 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Remote work isn’t going anywhere.
View Quote

It’s gone as soon as the job market turns.
Link Posted: 11/10/2023 5:07:34 PM EDT
[#40]

I’ve already told my employer. I will get the work they want done, DONE! They don’t need to worry about where I work. I currently go to the office for a few hours, two days a week. When that becomes unacceptable to them, I will retire and take my requisite professional certifications with me. If they were smart, they would be running my potential replacements through all those courses but they are not too smart and only have the ability to react to problems, not foresee and mitigate them.

This is one of the benefits of being older and already eligible for my full retirement.

Link Posted: 11/10/2023 5:07:53 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 11/10/2023 5:09:13 PM EDT
[#42]
Return to office/hybrid hasn't seemed to affect walmart. They closed a bunch of satellite offices and told everyone they needed to be in San Bruno or Bentonville.

I wish the flood of people moving to NWA and the line of applicants out the door for every WM position available would go away because of all these fully remote WFH companies that everyone talks about anecdotally.....

Link Posted: 11/10/2023 5:10:46 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Depends on work but for most part; folks are never going back in.  

We took survey; 90% said they'd quit.  ALL the work we do can be done from anywhere and the single women w/children basically cannot afford the daycare, fuel, car, food, lunch and other expenses that come with going into an office.  Its basically a salary onto its own.

For a woman or even a family; the daycare savings alone are a salary.  One female said its cheaper for her to stay at home and take care of kids - than to go to work.  But working from home she oversees her two kids.  ALL her work can be tracked every hour; so this aint govt work where you can move a mouse every 4 minues. We can track everything all day long and the work gets done.
View Quote

90% said they’d quit… You could say the same thing about the covid shot. Most people said they’d quit before taking it, then companies mandated it. Most bent over and took it because it was the easy option, they have a family, insert whatever excuse, etc. People do not want to endure hardships. I’d be willing to bet very few would actually quit their jobs over it. Most people are debt slaves to their mortgages, cars, toys, living life outside their means. They ain’t doing shit except currently running their mouths.
Link Posted: 11/10/2023 5:10:54 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

I’m sure they can find a cheaper workforce of all you need is an internet connection.

View Quote

You can be sure this has been thoroughly discussed in all large employers with significant wfh population. Probably happen through attrition mostly.

All you insisting your job can be done anywhere are also insisting that your job can be done anywhere!
Link Posted: 11/10/2023 5:11:29 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

This right here. I'm in software dev. I don't have to do my job in an office, especially when my physical office is 750 miles away. I like to visit from time to time and build relationships but day to day is done in my home office.
View Quote

i'm also a software dev.  my physical office is less than 10 minutes from my house and i've been there 3 times in the 9 months I've worked for this company.  my wife's office was only about 5 minutes further away.  they've completely shuttered her office.  we both work from home full time and are looking to move to somewhere rural since things won't be changing.  i'm on a team of 4 devs (including myself) and 1 qa.  i'm the only person on my team local.  two of the devs and the qa are based out of the east coast and the remaining dev is in nebraska.
Link Posted: 11/10/2023 5:14:52 PM EDT
[#46]
Looks like our weekly WFH Huddle session was late this week.
Link Posted: 11/10/2023 5:16:02 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Not in knowledge work fields.   I am looking for work and I am seeing the majority of roles as remote. For those positions, it seems the companies want the largest possible applicant pool. Going local will screw them out of this.
View Quote

Get back to us in two years.
Link Posted: 11/10/2023 5:16:11 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

At our previous company, we did the same. It was a total waste.
Link Posted: 11/10/2023 5:20:49 PM EDT
[#49]
I haven't been to an office in the better part of 7 years.  I am in IT and the systems and people I work with are scattered all over the world.  Schlepping into an office would only serve to consume time that I spend producing today.  

There's a place for office work, for some roles, but not mine.
Link Posted: 11/10/2023 5:21:02 PM EDT
[#50]
I will check this thread in a year if we get in a recession just to hear people complain about how they got axed because they wouldn't come in.

A corporation would love to have a legit reason to fire people during a recession.  Saves them a severance package during downsizing.
Page / 11
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top