BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 11
Link Posted: 11/12/2023 11:17:00 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What's crazy is i had folks in IT that figured this out in the early 2000's and I still hear about folks trying it and it always turns out the same way. Well except in GD where any white collar position will 100% go to India for sure lol.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Do/Should WFH peeps worry their jobs turn into WFH peeps from overseas taking their jobs?

I'm sure they can find a cheaper workforce of all you need is an internet connection.

We experimented with contracting out some of our programming work to an Indian office when we were slammed and
not enough resources in-house to do it all.
The quality of what we got back was less than impressive. Took us more time to redo a bunch of the code we paid them for.
Management learned a valuable lesson there.
What's crazy is i had folks in IT that figured this out in the early 2000's and I still hear about folks trying it and it always turns out the same way. Well except in GD where any white collar position will 100% go to India for sure lol.

It's like Wish.com.

We all know it's shit. But some people still get lured in by the ludicrously low prices.
Link Posted: 11/12/2023 11:48:27 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Are you basing that off of your one friend?
View Quote

Nope based on the fact that my own company is also now shifting back to hiring locals.  You and the rest of the full WFH crowd are basing your opinions on whatever small department you work at. I might detail all the WFH scams I've seen since covid that shed light on why people don't even want to be in the office a single day per week.
Link Posted: 11/12/2023 11:52:19 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 11/12/2023 12:14:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Urban areas (democrats)  are losing their tax revenues

View Quote

Worse than that, there is going to have to be a Reckoning in the commercial real estate market when companies no longer want to pay heat, insurance, and tax bills on buildings that largely sit dormant.
Link Posted: 11/12/2023 1:22:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
104,307 jobs is pretty telling.  These include fully-remote and hybrid.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/176302/indeed_remote_jobs_png-3025095.JPG

Here is a snapshot with only fully-remote jobs available.  102,188 jobs.  

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/176302/STRICTLY_Remote_png-3025098.JPG
View Quote

Bear in mind that a lot of employers and/or recruiters advertise positions as 100% remote or hybrid as a bait-and-switch to attract candidates, so I wouldn't necessarily believe those numbers.
Link Posted: 11/12/2023 1:34:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Yeah it is, in large part
View Quote

I agree with your assessment. My company tested it in the 90’s and again after 9/11; within 1 year virtually all employees returned to the office. Granted internet conductivity is much better now. The real killer was the loss of social contact of the employees. I will admit, the the Zoomers with their reduced personal interactions might be more suited than the Gen X ers were.
Link Posted: 11/12/2023 1:40:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Nope based on the fact that my own company is also now shifting back to hiring locals.  You and the rest of the full WFH crowd are basing your opinions on whatever small department you work at. I might detail all the WFH scams I've seen since covid that shed light on why people don't even want to be in the office a single day per week.
View Quote

I am?
Link Posted: 11/12/2023 1:40:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Bear in mind that a lot of employers and/or recruiters advertise positions as 100% remote or hybrid as a bait-and-switch to attract candidates, so I wouldn't necessarily believe those numbers.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
104,307 jobs is pretty telling.  These include fully-remote and hybrid.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/176302/indeed_remote_jobs_png-3025095.JPG

Here is a snapshot with only fully-remote jobs available.  102,188 jobs.  

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/176302/STRICTLY_Remote_png-3025098.JPG

There are some who do that, yes.
Link Posted: 11/12/2023 1:40:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I'll never understand GD hate for remote work.
View Quote

Well, part of of it is remote work from people who don't do shit and don't get things done from home, but small contributions make them look important and keep them employed.  That is despite the fact that they don't actually contribute that much.

I'm actually applying for a job right now where a lot of the work benefits from me being in the office (hospital).  When I explained that I prefer to go in for that sort of work, they reacted like I had two heads.  They were actually expected me to beg for remote work, I guess thats all they've been seeing in the job market.  Nope, if it requires me to put my hands on it, I'll gladly come in.  Whatever makes the most sense to get the job done with the best experience for the customer (just re-read that and man do I sound like a suck up ).
Link Posted: 11/12/2023 1:42:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

When companies start blowing up because they can’t roll their debt over, the labor market will shift.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
We’re not coming back to the office. The highly skilled people just aren’t. And you can’t make us.

Go ahead and fire us. We’ll go work for your competition that doesn’t do that. For more money.

That dynamic won’t last forever.  Interest rates being high are going to put pressure on the labor market and RTO is a good way to avoid layoff headlines.

Good luck attracting the best of the best!

Interest rates, lol. “We’ll just fire all our top performers”

When companies start blowing up because they can’t roll their debt over, the labor market will shift.

What does that have to do with WFH?  This isn’t some massive handout they’ll need to trim. It saves the company millions in rent.
Link Posted: 11/12/2023 1:47:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

What does that have to do with WFH?  This isn’t some massive handout they’ll need to trim. It saves the company millions in rent.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
We’re not coming back to the office. The highly skilled people just aren’t. And you can’t make us.

Go ahead and fire us. We’ll go work for your competition that doesn’t do that. For more money.

That dynamic won’t last forever.  Interest rates being high are going to put pressure on the labor market and RTO is a good way to avoid layoff headlines.

Spideys argument is that employees have the upper hand.  So even if employers want them to come in to the office they’ll just say no.

These things tend to go in cycles.  Employees have the upper hand now, employers will later.

If exponentialpi is right, debt defaults will cause companies to go under and result in an excess supply of labor.
Link Posted: 11/12/2023 2:20:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Worse than that, there is going to have to be a Reckoning in the commercial real estate market when companies no longer want to pay heat, insurance, and tax bills on buildings that largely sit dormant.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Urban areas (democrats)  are losing their tax revenues

And who is heavily invested in CRE?  Pension funds, insurance companies, PE. Hell, probably many here, they just don’t realize it.
Link Posted: 11/12/2023 2:21:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No offense, but you are conflating work pools. Highly skilled labor is different than highly skilled analysts, technicians and engineers in technology.  Different sectors, one is growing in this country, one has been shrinking for decades.
Sad but true.

There is an extreme shortage of big data analysts in this country compared to the demand which is outpacing the new entrants exponentially. There won’t be layoffs for the foreseeable future.
Link Posted: 11/12/2023 2:22:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Working at a very large multinational corporation, let me detail out the various WFH scams I've seen.  Some people in this thread have already admitted to a few of these.

1. Working multiple W2 jobs, side gigs or personal side business.  This is probably the most prevalent. These scammers usually seek out jobs with light recurring meetings. You will eventually catch the multiple full time job people when they miss random meetings to often or don't respond to messages in a timely manner.  Last one on my team left after about a month when he couldn't make it work.

2. People watching their or a family members pre kindergarten kids full/part time. One product owner I had clearly had their two year old at home with them. Constantly late to meetings probably because they were putting the kid to nap time.  Shoddy half done work.  You could honestly do part time job from home this way, but if you are doing a full time regular hours job and doing this it won't work.

3. Substance abuse problems day drinking, wake and bake, and opiate abusers.  A friends coworker ended up in liver failure and revealed they were home day drinking vodka all day. The WFH couple at my complex that are out front smoking weed at 8 am every morning before work and continue through the day.

4. Moved without telling management to a resort/vacation area, or traveling the world. UI designer moved to a mountain resort town to live their best life.  Eventually their work was so low effort they got drummed out of the company. Typically these people will have their meetings in the morning and will then be out on the town answering emails and messages on their phone.

Some combination of these scams and others are prevalent in the larger market.  Your experience in a small department at a medium sized corporation doesn't represent the world as a whole. Just one day a week back in the office would kill off most of these scams. When I hear people howling when they are forced to come in for a meeting I know they are up to something.
Link Posted: 11/12/2023 2:24:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

I agree with Exponential

My company (regardless of ulterior motives) has attempted numerous times to get employees back in the office. They've tried both the stick and the carrot.

They can't effectively do it because right now it's an employees market. If they decide to fire half of our staff they'll end up with less qualified yet much higher paid workers.

When tough economic times hit, and it becomes an employers market, you can bet companies are going to crack the whip.
Link Posted: 11/12/2023 2:27:54 PM EDT
[#16]
Wife left one WFH for another WFH and hadl of three offers.

It ain't going nowhere. Some managers have it figured out. Top talent wants WFH, they will work their asses off, pay for electric and Wi-Fi, won't cost valuable saw footage.

Micromanagers suck and are fucking their companies, while absorbing average or worse workers.

Link Posted: 11/12/2023 2:28:02 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Supply and demand. Zombie companies won’t care about the rent, they will be selling everything and anything to creditors to pay the small amount they owe. And all those employees enter the labor market, looking for something to pay the mortgage.
Link Posted: 11/12/2023 2:32:05 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Working at a very large multinational corporation, let me detail out the various WFH scams I've seen.  Some people in this thread have already admitted to a few of these.

1. Working multiple W2 jobs, side gigs or personal side business.  This is probably the most prevalent. These scammers usually seek out jobs with light recurring meetings. You will eventually catch the multiple full time job people when they miss random meetings to often or don't respond to messages in a timely manner.  Last one on my team left after about a month when he couldn't make it work.

2. People watching their or a family members pre kindergarten kids full/part time. One product owner I had clearly had their two year old at home with them. Constantly late to meetings probably because they were putting the kid to nap time.  Shoddy half done work.  You could honestly do part time job from home this way, but if you are doing a full time regular hours job and doing this it won't work.

3. Substance abuse problems day drinking, wake and bake, and opiate abusers.  A friends coworker ended up in liver failure and revealed they were home day drinking vodka all day. The WFH couple at my complex that are out front smoking weed at 8 am every morning before work and continue through the day.

4. Moved without telling management to a resort/vacation area, or traveling the world. UI designer moved to a mountain resort town to live their best life.  Eventually their work was so low effort they got drummed out of the company. Typically these people will have their meetings in the morning and will then be out on the town answering emails and messages on their phone.

Some combination of these scams and others are prevalent in the larger market.  Your experience in a small department at a medium sized corporation doesn't represent the world as a whole. Just one day a week back in the office would kill off most of these scams. When I hear people howling when they are forced to come in for a meeting I know they are up to something.
View Quote

When covid hit I knew almost an entire team that packed up and moved to Puerto Vallarta. Not just resorts but they signed leases. These guys answered SharePoint trouble tickets (like 48 hour SLA) so it was a dream for them

I myself wanted to do the digital nomad thing and after a work trip to Japan spent 9 weeks working out of a 5 star resort in Thailand.

It was a mess for me, working from midnight to 9 AM taking calls and leading meetings with blood shot eyes, I eventually packed my bags and headed home.

I think there are jobs which are suited to that lifestyle, but if you have a meeting heavy job like mine that required lots of time sensitive reactive work in a specific time zone. . .I just couldn't do it
Link Posted: 11/12/2023 2:33:12 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

No offense, but you are conflating work pools. Highly skilled labor is different than highly skilled analysts, technicians and engineers in technology.  Different sectors, one is growing in this country, one has been shrinking for decades.
Sad but true.

There is an extreme shortage of big data analysts in this country compared to the demand which is outpacing the new entrants exponentially. There won’t be layoffs for the foreseeable future.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sad but true.

I am not conflating anything. I know big data analysis and the labor market very well.

Many tech companies run on debt. What happens when they go poof?
Link Posted: 11/12/2023 2:34:39 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

What's funny is that many of those can actually be made to work without management learning about it.  

I've been WFH for over a decade, primarily as a 1099 contractor, but for the last few years as an employee.  I miss the freedom of the contract work, but I don't miss tax time.

In all this time I have managed to be available when needed.  While there have been days when I wasn't able to respond to a call or email quickly, there have also been days where I have worked late and submitted work well into the evening hours when it was a rush job.

If the employer is a good one they will recognize that flexibility goes both ways, and cut the employee some slack during business hours when they are willing to help out outside of business hours.

Or they can count beans and worry about how (and holy shit, even where) every second of time is spent.
Link Posted: 11/12/2023 2:40:40 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

LMAO

Working more than 1 job is a scam.  

How long have you been working in IT/BI/knowledge sector roles?

Most everyone I know, including managers, have multiple gigs.

Also, what size departments are we working in?  Please tell us.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 11/12/2023 3:09:09 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

Sounds like a quality hiring process was involved lol.
Link Posted: 11/12/2023 3:18:02 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I am not conflating anything. I know big data analysis and the labor market very well.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sad but true.

They are all going poof, simultaneously?  Say that was the case, how would RTO prevent that? Seems like WFH, would make that less likely. If every tech company in the world goes poof, we are going to have bigger problems than where our office is lmao. I get two to three job offers weekly… aggressively. There’s always another company with at least mainly WFH and usually offering something extra.
Link Posted: 11/12/2023 3:19:34 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

LMAO

Thanks.
View Quote

I think in the last three years, all (or nearly all) of my management in the two companies I worked at had multiple roles. CTO of multiple startups, boards, strategic advisors, you name it. Every 1099 employee we had supported multiple clients.

Either they get their jobs done or they don't. It's some serious boomer hall monitor BS to fail to understand that. Unless you have a legally binding non-compete contract or something of that nature, companies cannot dictate outside employment.
Link Posted: 11/12/2023 3:20:39 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I think in the last three years, all (or nearly all) of my management in the two companies I worked at had multiple roles. CTO of multiple startups, boards, strategic advisors, you name it. Every 1099 employee we had supported multiple clients.

Either they get their jobs done or they don't. It's some serious boomer hall monitor BS to fail to understand that. Unless you have a legally binding non-compete contract or something of that nature, companies cannot dictate outside employment.
View Quote

Ding ding ding

WINNER
Link Posted: 11/12/2023 3:28:16 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Not in knowledge work fields.   I am looking for work and I am seeing the majority of roles as remote. For those positions, it seems the companies want the largest possible applicant pool. Going local will screw them out of this.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Remote work isn’t going anywhere.

Yeah it is, in large part

Not in knowledge work fields.   I am looking for work and I am seeing the majority of roles as remote. For those positions, it seems the companies want the largest possible applicant pool. Going local will screw them out of this.

Until they AI the work out. Human-executed knowledge fields probably have a short half life
Link Posted: 11/12/2023 3:40:11 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Until they AI the work out. Human-executed knowledge fields probably have a short half life
View Quote

Software developers are not paid to write stuff AI can write and haven't been for a decade or more. AI cannot execute any sort of even moderately complicated business logic requests, in large part because it would never be able to even understand the software requirements.
Link Posted: 11/12/2023 4:07:40 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

LMAO

Thanks.
View Quote

Misstating what I said.  The copium is strong with you.  Working two full time gigs during the same hours is a scam. When you get caught through employment verification it will be a bad time for the rest of your career.  It's possible to loaf along with defective behavior for a while  in large corporations.  We do catch the scammers eventually.
Link Posted: 11/12/2023 4:14:50 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Zoom itself required that employees within 50 miles RTO at least twice a week. I see a lot of companies adopting a hybrid 2-4 days in the office, the rest at home. I do believe that might last longer, but 100% WFH opportunities seem to be dwindling fast among the larger employees and industries I watch (financial, insurance, F100 corporate HQs, etc).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm not worried at all. I can stare at a Zoom screen at home just as effectively in the office. My team spans all US time zones. If my company went retardedly RTO for some reason (they've gone the opposite and have hired fully remote positions), I'd just find another job easy enough. Life's too short to deal with boomer management.
Zoom itself required that employees within 50 miles RTO at least twice a week. I see a lot of companies adopting a hybrid 2-4 days in the office, the rest at home. I do believe that might last longer, but 100% WFH opportunities seem to be dwindling fast among the larger employees and industries I watch (financial, insurance, F100 corporate HQs, etc).

That's great! Makes it easier for companies that embrace hybrid/flex/remote work to hire top talent without competing on base salary. The more F100 shifts to 5 days RTO, the more talent leaves.
Link Posted: 11/12/2023 4:16:11 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Misstating what I said.  The copium is strong with you.  Working two full time gigs during the same hours is a scam. When you get caught through employment verification it will be a bad time for the rest of your career.  It's possible to loaf along with defective behavior for a while  in large corporations.  We do catch the scammers eventually.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

LMAO

Thanks.

This is the problem.  WFH could be great.  But a few bad apples will ruin it for everyone.  It only takes getting burned a couple of times by someone working more than one job and companies will shut it down for everyone.
Link Posted: 11/12/2023 4:17:38 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Fortune 100 here and we are adding close to 400 remote positions next year and transitioning enough employees to shut down 3 offices.  Goal is 75% remote by 2027.

EDIT

Profits and productivity have been steadily increasing since 2020 when all this started.
View Quote

I too work at a fortune 100. Just started there about a month ago. 95% remote. They're saying no plans in the foreseeable future to go back to in-office, and I hope that's the case. I'm loving the (lack of) commute.
Link Posted: 11/12/2023 4:19:01 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

LMAO

Thanks.

How does an employer know if I am working elsewhere? How is that verified?

How is my response coping?
Link Posted: 11/12/2023 4:23:38 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

That's what I see happening. Plenty of employers still have a serious staffing issue to where they aren't going to have the power to do shit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
People won't go back to every day in the office, there's no point.  Companies that mandate it will have lots of vacancies

That's what I see happening. Plenty of employers still have a serious staffing issue to where they aren't going to have the power to do shit.

I am leaving one of those companies for a new opportunity Thursday. Full strength for our team is 9, now 4 are left and they have been unable to backfill any of the vacancies. Now the remaining team members are finally being asked what the company can do to keep them from leaving too. Our group was one of the only ones in the company to actually follow the RTO mandate.
Link Posted: 11/12/2023 4:32:31 PM EDT
[#34]
My workplace downsized their office space and now there's not enough space for everyone to come back into work. I try to go in one day a week to show my face but the rest of the week it's wfh.
Link Posted: 11/12/2023 4:36:06 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
My workplace downsized their office space and now there's not enough space for everyone to come back into work. I try to go in one day a week to show my face but the rest of the week it's wfh.
View Quote

A curious side effect for many tech companies that are pushing RTO. There literally are not enough desks for every worker being called back in.
Link Posted: 11/12/2023 4:41:22 PM EDT
[#36]
The math doesn’t lie; if companies were successfully calling workers back we wouldn’t be facing a corporate real estate crash. The RTO crowd can’t explain away the data, yet we’re still debating this like it’s not a major change in the future of how people live and work.
Link Posted: 11/12/2023 5:19:15 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

It's already significantly down from what it once was.

As metro areas put pressure on large corporations/threaten to remove tax breaks, more people will be going hybrid and then back to the office.

Fortune 200 here, senior mgmt- I've heard the discussions.

Here
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, it isn't.

It's already significantly down from what it once was.

As metro areas put pressure on large corporations/threaten to remove tax breaks, more people will be going hybrid and then back to the office.

Fortune 200 here, senior mgmt- I've heard the discussions.

Here

Those troglodyte companies are gonna lose their best IT talent to companies who are not beholden to the liberal cities and their politicians and understand the extra value WFH can actually bring to the table.

Link Posted: 11/12/2023 6:07:20 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

You don't know what an employment verification service is? Have you ever worked for a medium to large corporation or a financial institution? There are various companies that catalog your employment history.  If you're not in the system yet by virtue of where you have worked you will have to submit W2 proof of your employment for certain jobs.  These companies also provide background checks.
Link Posted: 11/12/2023 6:22:12 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

You don't know what an employment verification service is? Have you ever worked for a medium to large corporation or a financial institution? There are various companies that catalog your employment history.  If you're not in the system yet by virtue of where you have worked you will have to submit W2 proof of your employment for certain jobs.  These companies also provide background checks.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am familiar with employment verification services.  They will verify if you’ve worked somewhere.

If I don’t tell people, how do they find out?
Link Posted: 11/12/2023 6:37:11 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I am familiar with employment verification services.  They will verify if you’ve worked somewhere.

If I don’t tell people, how do they find out?
View Quote

People working side gig 1099 or under the table work during their normal job hours will probably continue to get away with it.  People working multiple full time W2 jobs are asking to get caught as more companies catch onto this over employment movement. I would also expect these companies to maybe start looking at what LLCs candidates are tied to.  That would help sniff out the people who might be doing side work or running their own business during work hours.

Funny how some of the supposed IT geniuses in this thread don't think a simple database of employment isn't being cataloged. And that employers won't be able to comb through public records to start to build a profile on their current or prospective employees.
Link Posted: 11/12/2023 6:39:14 PM EDT
[#41]
Anecdotal of course, but my wife has been working from home for the past decade.  Ten hour days and three to six hours most weekends.  She is a director at a software company with several people she is in charge of.  If anyone stops delivering, they are let go.  Is she able to take some time away during normal work hours?  Of course, but that just makes for later evenings and more work on the weekend.  
WFH is entirely doable and can be productive with proper hiring and management.  

Unfortunately the company is being bought out and the new owners insist RTO, supplied company cell with log in/out to track work hours.  The office is a 1.5 hr commute in traffic each way.  She has decided to seek employment elsewhere.
Link Posted: 11/12/2023 6:42:48 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And when your actual state of residence comes knocking for their different income tax rate, oh boy, prepare your butthole.

Kharn
Link Posted: 11/12/2023 6:52:35 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

People working side gig 1099 or under the table work during their normal job hours will probably continue to get away with it.  People working multiple full time W2 jobs are asking to get caught as more companies catch onto this over employment movement. I would also expect these companies to maybe start looking at what LLCs candidates are tied to.  That would help sniff out the people who might be doing side work or running their own business during work hours.

Funny how some of the supposed IT geniuses in this thread don't think a simple database of employment isn't being cataloged. And that employers won't be able to comb through public records to start to build a profile on their current or prospective employees.
View Quote

You seem perturbed that some of us can balance multiple gigs, while delivering.

With companies knowing.

Link Posted: 11/12/2023 6:59:01 PM EDT
[#44]
Lunch bros unite.
Link Posted: 11/12/2023 7:27:20 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 11/12/2023 8:19:24 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I can understand both @Tallahasseezz and @burnprocess positions here.

One is a rather common sense moral opinion, as to what constitutes unethical behavior, or a "scam." The other correctly recognizes that multiple WFH jobs is categorically not illegal, and points out if imployers "add hats" to workers without additional compensation on a strategy of "doing more with less," That's somehow acceptable and generally flies under the radar. Or, if the issue is forced, the basic response in an "at will" job environment is a somewhat dismissive: "Go quit and find something else then." And moral opinions on employers doing that just never seem to carry as much weight.

That's all assuming there's no work or employment contract involved, of course. And even then, it is not a criminal matter, merely one of civil contract law. Although, I must note that when the employer is in abeyance, the legal resource and cost burden advantage is generally heavily tipped in the employers favor, should they be stubborn.

ProTip: If you should be trying to pull the "multiple WFH jobs" ploy, the FIRST STEP is to FREEZE your "EQUIFAX The Work Number" credit reporting account.

It's far from complete, as not all payrolls auto-report to them, and they're not the only such system out there. But they're the biggest, and all the large payroll processors, ADP, Paychex, Intuit, etc. all dump into Equifax TWN.

Ostensibly, it's pay verification for getting credit cards, or other consumer loans, etc. But it's becoming a resource for finding out if people are working multiple WFH jobs. It could also be used against you in salary negotiations too.

However, Equifax TWN is still a "credit reporting service" and your rights are the same, so you can freeze it. And no one can query the info without your permission.

This is NOT some "one & done" panacea. An employer  can potentially ask why your Equifax TWN is frozen, you'll naturally say: "Because I had a fraud issue..." or maybe: "Dunno, maybe LufeLock did that?"

Then, the employer will say, "Okay, makes sense, please get us a one-time inquiry PIN from Equifax TWN..."

Now you're fooked, or have to hope you can stall them, play dumb, "Sorry, trying to log into their site and figure that out.." and hope they forget, or the matter otherwise drops.

And of course, there's a bunch more to know about. Scrubbing your LinkedIn, requesting a ZoomInfo opt-out. Checking on what First Advantage, ADP Screening & Selection Services, Hire Right, & Sterling have on your background check reports... just for starters.

And depending on the service, you cannot "freeze" them like you can the credit bureaus. However, employment verification & background checks are absolutely a minimum effort/maximum profit endeavor, and freezing or cleaning up where you can and will affect a great deal of stuff downstream.

Of course, that's just payroll & background check info. Someone trying the "overemployed" gambit obviously needs to understand everything else going on, schedules, meetings, webcams, phone numbers/VOIP, VPN, broadband, how they keep everything separated & compatmentalized. And there's obviously the issue of actually accomplishing the work.

I find the surface area of all of this fascinating.

However, the effort involved in doing it WELL, seems to me that its almost more like having three jobs. Job #1, Job #2, and Job #3 is the effort of keeping all that straight.

And it seems better suited to things like coding or software development etc. where there's potentially perception gaps on the part of management as to how long it takes, and when it's finished. Perhaps they're "management" but devoid of critical technical knowledge to make such judgments.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/93097/3340599-dilbert-pointy-haired-boss-3025484.png

Or, it could be a business model failure. The employer is arguably shooting themselves in the foot. If an employer's compensation is relatively flat across a job title, but they lucked into a 95th percentile employee that's potentially 2X more productive than everyone else (subject to QA/QC of course...) and their systems & process either utterly fails to recognize this individual at all, or their "reward" is simply 2X work for 1X pay...

Whether it's unethical or not, businesses need to consider if they've failed in any way, and if they're doing anything to incentivize things like people attempting to double up on WFH jobs, or disincentivizing . That can be tracking, metrics, performance, deliverables, or compensation.

Being all "free market" and "at will" over employment & productivity matters... until possibly the shoe is on the other foot is rather hypocritical at best, detestable slimeball at worst.

Employer/Employee loyalty is a two-way street. Or, if one wants to be super hard-nose and transactional about it, the term in contract & civil law is "consideration."

My ultimate take is, it's not illegal. And assuming it's an uncontracted at-will employment situation, and the work product is otherwise acceptable, as is meeting attendance, or other deliverables, it seems difficult to articulate actual "harm." But, with at-will, the employer is 100% free to terminate. So... (shrug?)

I'm sure Tallahasseezz feels strongly that the double-jobbers always perform poorly. Possibly true, or it's just the ones they catch, and there's some selection bias going on. They can push RTO, and see how it goes. Or they can try other strategies.

As they say: "It's just business." Sometimes you're the bug, sometimes you're the windshield.

My emolyment area? No way in hell would I try it personally. Travel to different sites for physical process implementation, and variable workload and projects, Critical Hypercare support windows, and unscheduled emergent issues... that all makes it impossible from a pragmatic standpoint before I even need to consider it ethically.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
LMAO

Thanks.

I can understand both @Tallahasseezz and @burnprocess positions here.

One is a rather common sense moral opinion, as to what constitutes unethical behavior, or a "scam." The other correctly recognizes that multiple WFH jobs is categorically not illegal, and points out if imployers "add hats" to workers without additional compensation on a strategy of "doing more with less," That's somehow acceptable and generally flies under the radar. Or, if the issue is forced, the basic response in an "at will" job environment is a somewhat dismissive: "Go quit and find something else then." And moral opinions on employers doing that just never seem to carry as much weight.

That's all assuming there's no work or employment contract involved, of course. And even then, it is not a criminal matter, merely one of civil contract law. Although, I must note that when the employer is in abeyance, the legal resource and cost burden advantage is generally heavily tipped in the employers favor, should they be stubborn.

ProTip: If you should be trying to pull the "multiple WFH jobs" ploy, the FIRST STEP is to FREEZE your "EQUIFAX The Work Number" credit reporting account.

It's far from complete, as not all payrolls auto-report to them, and they're not the only such system out there. But they're the biggest, and all the large payroll processors, ADP, Paychex, Intuit, etc. all dump into Equifax TWN.

Ostensibly, it's pay verification for getting credit cards, or other consumer loans, etc. But it's becoming a resource for finding out if people are working multiple WFH jobs. It could also be used against you in salary negotiations too.

However, Equifax TWN is still a "credit reporting service" and your rights are the same, so you can freeze it. And no one can query the info without your permission.

This is NOT some "one & done" panacea. An employer  can potentially ask why your Equifax TWN is frozen, you'll naturally say: "Because I had a fraud issue..." or maybe: "Dunno, maybe LufeLock did that?"

Then, the employer will say, "Okay, makes sense, please get us a one-time inquiry PIN from Equifax TWN..."

Now you're fooked, or have to hope you can stall them, play dumb, "Sorry, trying to log into their site and figure that out.." and hope they forget, or the matter otherwise drops.

And of course, there's a bunch more to know about. Scrubbing your LinkedIn, requesting a ZoomInfo opt-out. Checking on what First Advantage, ADP Screening & Selection Services, Hire Right, & Sterling have on your background check reports... just for starters.

And depending on the service, you cannot "freeze" them like you can the credit bureaus. However, employment verification & background checks are absolutely a minimum effort/maximum profit endeavor, and freezing or cleaning up where you can and will affect a great deal of stuff downstream.

Of course, that's just payroll & background check info. Someone trying the "overemployed" gambit obviously needs to understand everything else going on, schedules, meetings, webcams, phone numbers/VOIP, VPN, broadband, how they keep everything separated & compatmentalized. And there's obviously the issue of actually accomplishing the work.

I find the surface area of all of this fascinating.

However, the effort involved in doing it WELL, seems to me that its almost more like having three jobs. Job #1, Job #2, and Job #3 is the effort of keeping all that straight.

And it seems better suited to things like coding or software development etc. where there's potentially perception gaps on the part of management as to how long it takes, and when it's finished. Perhaps they're "management" but devoid of critical technical knowledge to make such judgments.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/93097/3340599-dilbert-pointy-haired-boss-3025484.png

Or, it could be a business model failure. The employer is arguably shooting themselves in the foot. If an employer's compensation is relatively flat across a job title, but they lucked into a 95th percentile employee that's potentially 2X more productive than everyone else (subject to QA/QC of course...) and their systems & process either utterly fails to recognize this individual at all, or their "reward" is simply 2X work for 1X pay...

Whether it's unethical or not, businesses need to consider if they've failed in any way, and if they're doing anything to incentivize things like people attempting to double up on WFH jobs, or disincentivizing . That can be tracking, metrics, performance, deliverables, or compensation.

Being all "free market" and "at will" over employment & productivity matters... until possibly the shoe is on the other foot is rather hypocritical at best, detestable slimeball at worst.

Employer/Employee loyalty is a two-way street. Or, if one wants to be super hard-nose and transactional about it, the term in contract & civil law is "consideration."

My ultimate take is, it's not illegal. And assuming it's an uncontracted at-will employment situation, and the work product is otherwise acceptable, as is meeting attendance, or other deliverables, it seems difficult to articulate actual "harm." But, with at-will, the employer is 100% free to terminate. So... (shrug?)

I'm sure Tallahasseezz feels strongly that the double-jobbers always perform poorly. Possibly true, or it's just the ones they catch, and there's some selection bias going on. They can push RTO, and see how it goes. Or they can try other strategies.

As they say: "It's just business." Sometimes you're the bug, sometimes you're the windshield.

My emolyment area? No way in hell would I try it personally. Travel to different sites for physical process implementation, and variable workload and projects, Critical Hypercare support windows, and unscheduled emergent issues... that all makes it impossible from a pragmatic standpoint before I even need to consider it ethically.

A sound post.

I happen to be in a position where I can handle multiple obligations.  So long as there is no conflict of interest, I am free to do so.

Many, many others who work remote are in a similar boat.

Link Posted: 11/12/2023 8:49:12 PM EDT
[#47]
WFH is here to stay, makes perfect sense for a. lot of jobs, just make sure your billable
Link Posted: 11/12/2023 9:02:27 PM EDT
[#48]
Yawn.  I had to disclose my side gig to past employers as it's also registered as a federal contractor, though under a different NAICS.  They didn't care as long as we weren't competing on the same contracts.  No worries!
Link Posted: 11/12/2023 10:07:59 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote

@AJ_Dual your entire post was on point, what you said here is the critical thing. IT management and business stake holders are clueless as to how long things should take and the overall quality of the product delivered.  The time also varies by the coder's skill level.  So a good coder can do a bad quality job in half the time as someone else.  Leaving them free to whatever scam they have going on.
Link Posted: 11/12/2023 10:16:10 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

@AJ_Dual your entire post was on point, what you said here is the critical thing. IT management and business stake holders are clueless as to how long things should take and the overall quality of the product delivered.  The time also varies by the coder's skill level.  So a good coder can do a bad quality job in half the time as someone else.  Leaving them free to whatever scam they have going on.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Double salaries really gets your knickers in a bind, doesn’t it?

Page / 11
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top