Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/25/2023 10:21:48 PM EDT
[#1]
While the swamp portion ups the difficulty a bit. Don't forget you can just eat the Viper all over the swap as a health item lmao.
Link Posted: 3/26/2023 12:55:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Beat it last night. 10/10 remake. Love it.
Link Posted: 3/26/2023 12:56:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Probably because there were a decent amount of rumours and clipped content leaks alleging that the game was being remade to be politically correct. Having given it a chance in spite of that, I can say it's largely overblown. I mean, they brought in this woman to use as a model for Ashley. The ballistics are definitely there.

I can handle a couple of minor line revisions in the grand scheme.
View Quote

The only line I wish they'd kept was "... women."
Link Posted: 3/26/2023 12:57:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Finally was able to start playing the real game, made it into chapter 3. There are changes from the OG RE4, but they are subtle. Nothing absolutely game-changing so far that I've noticed. Its like the game knows you know what is supposed to happen next, so it changes it up a little bit at a time just to keep you on your toes.

The visuals are excellent, but that is to be expected on the heels of REmake 2 and 3. The gameplay is as good as the OG but the newly added quirks like knife blocking make the game a little too easy IMO. As stated early that is why they added knife breakage... the knife is ridiculously OP in this game. Not from a damage standpoint but from a ninja parry / insta-kill angle. Then again I turned on knife parry with the attack button, so I'm knocking shit away left and right. And at least up into Chapter 3 they dole out kitchen knives like halloween candy, so even if you break your combat knife before you make it to the merchant they have you covered. Same with the healing items, they dole them out like mad. I'm starting to think I should have started on Hardcore rather than Standard difficulty.
View Quote

This is weird. I felt like I was super boned on healing items the entire time. I NEVER got a green herb drop from an enemy once, and almost none from crates.
Link Posted: 3/26/2023 12:59:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Re7 was definitely a masterpiece
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm like 1 of 18 people in the universe that didn't like RE4.

OG RE2 4 life.

Agree on both counts.

RE4 and everything that has come after has been a poor reflection of the greatest game in the series, OG RE2.

No, RE7 was garbage, it just convinced us all it was amazing because it was so much better than RE6. The story is decent, the environments are amazing.

But the actual combat sucks, there's no enemy variety, and there's a lot of good things there to mask the mediocre gameplay.

Also RE2 remake > RE2.

And old RE4 is 10/10.
Link Posted: 3/26/2023 1:01:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I'm holding out for a fully upgraded starter pistol. I'm really hoping it retains the head shot/critical hit modifier
View Quote

It does.

The Red9 is still most powerful but accuracy is wack.

The Blacktail is now the best handgun due to being the most well balanced.

The Punisher is now useful, especially during endgame and in the castle.

Shotguns have been rebalanced in a great way.

Rifles are still well balanced.

The magnums are also properly re-balanced. The Broken Butterfly is still the most powerful, but it's super hard to use. But it'll one shot basically anything.

The Killer7 is now actually useful because it has a laser sight, is fast to use, and is still really hard hitting.

In OG, the Killer7 is beyond fucking worthless. Easily the worst gun in the game.

Now it's the better magnum, IMO.
Link Posted: 3/26/2023 1:02:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Because they got it right 14 years ago.
View Quote

It came out 18 years ago.

That video is retarded.
Link Posted: 3/26/2023 1:05:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
The only thing I'm really not a fan of at this point is the amount of back tracking neccessary to collect all of the treasures. The last few entries also had the same design, but they were more condensed so it wasn't as bad. The game world is pretty big now, and there's way more stuff to collect than in 7, 8, and the prior remakes, to the point where I feel like it's just artificial padding and really disrupts the pacing of the game. In the original, you mostly just noticed shiny things and picked them up as you went through the story.

That doesn't invalidate the remake from also being good though. I certainly enjoy both dawn of the dead movies. Why would you gatekeep yourself from trying something and forming your own opinion just because some random internet person with barely any following makes a slanderous clickbait video?
View Quote

I think the backtracking is fun, but that's just me.
Link Posted: 3/26/2023 1:06:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Another RE lots of fans despise for some reason...I loved that one
View Quote

I like it, but it has a lot of serious flaws. You can very easily softlock yourself at several points if you don't already know what to do.

That game has a ton of absolute bullshit going on, and I could write a whole ass post about it.

Bawkbasoup covers it well in his playthroughs.
Link Posted: 3/26/2023 3:01:16 PM EDT
[#10]
I think it's damn faithful so far. Also RE4 has never been remade. It's only been rereleased over and over. The closest thing to a "remake" is the Wii Version with motion controls. The rest is just a fluff and buff with better resolutions/marginally better textures.

This is fucking great so far. I lost count of how many hours I put on the original between various consoles.

Quite a few mods are out now. I want better rifle sights honestly. But this Sig looks sweet!

Link Posted: 3/26/2023 3:09:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

No, RE7 was garbage, it just convinced us all it was amazing because it was so much better than RE6. The story is decent, the environments are amazing.

But the actual combat sucks, there's no enemy variety, and there's a lot of good things there to mask the mediocre gameplay.

Also RE2 remake > RE2.

And old RE4 is 10/10.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm like 1 of 18 people in the universe that didn't like RE4.

OG RE2 4 life.

Agree on both counts.

RE4 and everything that has come after has been a poor reflection of the greatest game in the series, OG RE2.

Also RE2 remake > RE2.

And old RE4 is 10/10.

The combat pretty much sucks on all RE, it's not meant to a shooter / action / handling game. It's deliberately restrictive on some titles as is the nature of survival horror.
Link Posted: 3/26/2023 3:17:06 PM EDT
[#12]
I was up until 3am last night and got through chapter 5 cabin fight with Luis .    
Love the original RE4 and love this one.  

Lots of treasure shit going on, I got the DLC treasure map. Still running just the skull shaker and red 9.
Link Posted: 3/26/2023 4:28:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I was up until 3am last night and got through chapter 5 cabin fight with Luis .    
Love the original RE4 and love this one.  

Lots of treasure shit going on, I got the DLC treasure map. Still running just the skull shaker and red 9.
View Quote

Going to give the riot gun a try. Video Game Trope Shotgun spread bugs me
Link Posted: 3/26/2023 6:38:04 PM EDT
[#14]
First Person Mode soon via Mod

Fixed Camera Angle/ Classic RE1 Mod
Classic Fixed Camera Mode - Chainsaw Demo Resident Evil 4 Remake
Link Posted: 3/26/2023 7:06:59 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

The combat pretty much sucks on all RE, it's not meant to a shooter / action / handling game. It's deliberately restrictive on some titles as is the nature of survival horror.
View Quote

The combat is totally fine in almost all of them.

In RE7 its actively bad.
Link Posted: 3/26/2023 7:56:33 PM EDT
[#16]
I was pretty busy this weekend and only had time to play today, but I've made it past the cabin assault and am headed to the castle. For those having trouble with the cabin attack, I basically had like ten hand grenades saved up to that point and was basically going pineapple fever on them, then run up and grab the salvage, board the windows, and toss more grenades. It felt like I absolutely bum rushed the cabin as it seemed like it kept shifting phases very quickly until the cowboy shows up.

I like that Ashley no longer has a health bar and instead goes into a sort of "downed" state until you can revive her. Nothing pissed me off more in the original game than having Ashley get caught in a grenade blast or take a full swipe from something and croak. It always felt cheap.

I also have kind of a love / hate relationship with the new side jobs / spinels arrangement. I'm not entirely keen with them locking certain weapon upgrades behind the spinel trade in system, but it isn't like the side jobs are difficult or force you to go way out of your way to accomplish.

I also like that the rewards from the shooting range are actually useful now instead of being shitty gacha collectathon stuff. Although I don't exactly see myself spending hours at the shooting range farming coins just to pull dozens and dozens of keychains.

Link Posted: 3/26/2023 7:58:39 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

The combat is totally fine in almost all of them.

In RE7 its actively bad.
View Quote

RE7 isn't an FPS. It's slow and cumbersome on purpose. It single handedly saved the survival horror genre.
Link Posted: 3/26/2023 8:03:05 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Pc or console?

Lot more PC players than I would have thought tbh
View Quote

Console. Never tried the pc version. Might have to try it.
Link Posted: 3/26/2023 9:05:02 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

RE7 isn't an FPS. It's slow and cumbersome on purpose. It single handedly saved the survival horror genre.
View Quote

It sure didn't. There were tons of great survival horror games in the indie sphere. It's not like a bunch of amazing AAA horror titles all of a sudden dropped after RE7's success. It didn't do anything for the genre itself.

It saved Resident Evil.

Still has trash combat though.

Enemies that can one shot you on harder difficulties with attacks that have no wind up. Hence the frustration with Molded on speed runs.

Poor aim acceleration. Huge problem.

Huge input lag. Input queueing is fucked too.

Fighting the aim assist.

Busted as fuck hitboxes.

Again, trash enemy variety.

I get that its not an FPS, but RE8's is mechanically identical, but it's actually fun, because they fixed all the technical issues with it.

Your combat doesn't have to be amazing, but it should be good enough that I don't actively avoid it, because it's a piece of shit. It makes boss fights fucking unbearable.

Chainsaw Jack is straight up garbage on higher difficulties. Kicking a body bag at him and having him literally walk through it.

Command grab spamming is wack too.

The entire boat section is just tedious and it sucks.

Also, Margarite has some real busted shit.

Final Jack has some of the worst hit boxes I've ever seen.

The ending boss fight is 90% scripted. Fuckin wack.

I'll die on this hill. RE7 sucks ass, and it fooled us into thinking it was good in comparison to RE6 and RE5.

Trash.

The combat has aged like shit. The whole game has.

But I admit it saved RE.

I'm not saying it has to be a perfect FPS. I even think classic Silent Hill (1-4) and pre RE4 RE games have good combat that I enjoy.

I'm saying the combat is actively miserable and makes most of the game tedious.

Also, tons of unskippable cutscenes make replay tedious.
Link Posted: 3/26/2023 9:09:48 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Snip
View Quote

I do think it brought back AAA survival horror. At the time it was dying. Yeah you had a bunch of indie walking simulator asset flip crap and they still pump those out.

IIRC there wasn't much happening in the AAA space. The Evil Within 1 and 2 commercially flopped. Silent Hill disappeared. Dead Space 3 was a commercial flop.

RE7 turned things around for AAA survival horror IMO.
Link Posted: 3/26/2023 9:11:28 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I was pretty busy this weekend and only had time to play today, but I've made it past the cabin assault and am headed to the castle. For those having trouble with the cabin attack, I basically had like ten hand grenades saved up to that point and was basically going pineapple fever on them, then run up and grab the salvage, board the windows, and toss more grenades. It felt like I absolutely bum rushed the cabin as it seemed like it kept shifting phases very quickly until the cowboy shows up.

I like that Ashley no longer has a health bar and instead goes into a sort of "downed" state until you can revive her. Nothing pissed me off more in the original game than having Ashley get caught in a grenade blast or take a full swipe from something and croak. It always felt cheap.

I also have kind of a love / hate relationship with the new side jobs / spinels arrangement. I'm not entirely keen with them locking certain weapon upgrades behind the spinel trade in system, but it isn't like the side jobs are difficult or force you to go way out of your way to accomplish.

I also like that the rewards from the shooting range are actually useful now instead of being shitty gacha collectathon stuff. Although I don't exactly see myself spending hours at the shooting range farming coins just to pull dozens and dozens of keychains.

View Quote

Agree with most of this. Love the side mission system though.
Link Posted: 3/26/2023 9:13:50 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I do think it brought back AAA survival horror. At the time it was dying. Yeah you had a bunch of indie walking simulator asset flip crap and they still pump those out.

IIRC there wasn't much happening in the AAA space. The Evil Within 1 and 2 commercially flopped. Silent Hill disappeared. Dead Space 3 was a commercial flop.

RE7 turned things around for AAA survival horror IMO.
View Quote

What survival horror games came out in the AAA space after RE7 that weren't made by Capcom? If it saved the genre, there should have been some right?

How many AAA horror titles have there even been since it came out 2017?

Capcom pretty much owns that, except for the excellent Dead Space remake.

The Callisto Protocol was a piece of shit, btw.

Are there games I'm forgetting?
Link Posted: 3/26/2023 9:18:16 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
While the swamp portion ups the difficulty a bit. Don't forget you can just eat the Viper all over the swap as a health item lmao.
View Quote

Sell them to the merchant.
Link Posted: 3/26/2023 9:19:48 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

What survival horror games came out in the AAA space after RE7 that weren't made by Capcom? If it saved the genre, there should have been some right?

How many AAA horror titles have there even been since it came out 2017?

Capcom pretty much owns that, except for the excellent Dead Space remake.

The Callisto Protocol was a piece of shit, btw.

Are there games I'm forgetting?
View Quote

I would say Dead Space Remake wouldn't exist without 7 and the success of the RE2 and 3 remakes. Callisto Protocol flopped but they probably wouldn't have tried it. And I think they rushed that game. It was developed in like 3 years and AAA games usually take a lot longer. So it COULD have been very good. They also marketed it way too hard.

The Medium was a flop but I also don't think they would have tried it.

I'm not sure Silent Hill 2 remake would be a thing.

My point isn't that we got a flood of amazing survival horror. The commercial success just showed people still want to play those kinds of games. Because before that everything was tanking commercially.
Link Posted: 3/26/2023 9:21:06 PM EDT
[#25]
The combat is interesting. It's not as fast paced (and much darker feeling) as the original, but being able to move and shoot ala recent REmakes makes it feel less clunky. Also I can appreciate they didn't wash out all the color everywhere. The lighting effects are really pretty.

ETA: Keyboard and mouse is part of the reason why combat feels less clunky too from the original controller release.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 3/26/2023 9:30:57 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Only need 3, I might of finished that quest before I got to the swamp  iirc they respawn. There's also a small alcove on the lake full of chickens to harvest eggs
Link Posted: 3/26/2023 10:00:33 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Only need 3, I might of finished that quest before I got to the swamp  iirc they respawn. There's also a small alcove on the lake full of chickens to harvest eggs
View Quote
Check by the fish farm. I found 2 of them there.
Link Posted: 3/26/2023 10:01:06 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Finally was able to start playing the real game, made it into chapter 3. There are changes from the OG RE4, but they are subtle. Nothing absolutely game-changing so far that I've noticed. Its like the game knows you know what is supposed to happen next, so it changes it up a little bit at a time just to keep you on your toes.

The visuals are excellent, but that is to be expected on the heels of REmake 2 and 3. The gameplay is as good as the OG but the newly added quirks like knife blocking make the game a little too easy IMO. As stated early that is why they added knife breakage... the knife is ridiculously OP in this game. Not from a damage standpoint but from a ninja parry / insta-kill angle. Then again I turned on knife parry with the attack button, so I'm knocking shit away left and right. And at least up into Chapter 3 they dole out kitchen knives like halloween candy, so even if you break your combat knife before you make it to the merchant they have you covered. Same with the healing items, they dole them out like mad. I'm starting to think I should have started on Hardcore rather than Standard difficulty.
View Quote

Lol

Try again on professional mode, let us know how that goes.
Link Posted: 3/27/2023 2:49:26 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Also RE2 remake > RE2.

And old RE4 is 10/10.
View Quote

RE7 was good, but agree with your points.

RE2 remake was big disappointment due to there not being 'true' A and B scenarios like the OG.
Link Posted: 3/27/2023 3:51:17 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Lol

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lol

Most tense part was the castle with the red guy. If you go all Leroy Jenkins he stuns you due to having a control parasite. To make matters worse he causes the monk's heads to explode. You'll be fighting the big centipede plagas that can bite your head off in one hit.

Flash Bangs have never been so important lmao
Link Posted: 3/27/2023 3:57:27 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Most tense part was the castle with the red guy. If you go all Leroy Jenkins he stuns you due to having a control parasite. To make matters worse he causes the monk's heads to explode. You'll be fighting the big centipede plagas that can bite your head off in one hit.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lol

Kite them all to middle and drop the chandelier
Link Posted: 3/27/2023 5:21:18 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lol

I didn't see it until I killed them all lmao.

I literally agrod everything, put my back to a wall and made an amazing kill zone from a narrow hall way. I had the Benelli and a ton of 12 Gauge lmao.
Link Posted: 3/27/2023 5:57:42 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

RE2 remake was big disappointment due to there not being 'true' A and B scenarios like the OG.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Also RE2 remake > RE2.

And old RE4 is 10/10.

The RE2 remake was better than the original in almost every way.  I loved the original but it's a clunky mess by today's standards.

The job the remake did with 4th Survivor was pretty brilliant too.
Link Posted: 3/27/2023 6:26:19 PM EDT
[#34]
Found out you can kill Ashley in her downed state. Tossed a grenade at the chainsaw sisters and knocked one of those burn lamps down onto Ashley. Ooops.
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 3:13:35 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Found out you can kill Ashley in her downed state. Tossed a grenade at the chainsaw sisters and knocked one of those burn lamps down onto Ashley. Ooops.
View Quote

Yeah i found this out last night lol...tossed a grenade onto a big pile of dudes trying to grab her and she died
Link Posted: 3/31/2023 10:51:03 AM EDT
[#36]
Maybe it’s just the reworked environments, but there’s very little I remember from the original game. I remember Salazar’s right hand in particular because it was a bad-assed boss fight, but most of the rest feels new to me.
Link Posted: 3/31/2023 11:03:25 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Maybe it’s just the reworked environments, but there’s very little I remember from the original game. I remember Salazar’s right hand in particular because it was a bad-assed boss fight, but most of the rest feels new to me.
View Quote

Some of the "set piece" things I distinctly remember, and how they reworked them for the remake are interesting. They really do at least tip a hat to every aspect of the original game. While playing I routinely have deja vu going through sections that "feel" like the old game, but have been changed. They do a good job of also misdirecting your expectations in a few spots by making you think the game is going to do what it did originally only for it to reshuffle the cards a bit.

Really the only thing so far I think they completely omitted and did not update is the fight with the weird mutant Cronenberg monster on the dropping chain-link maze sections. I also like how they've eliminated the QTE crap and replaced it either with cutscenes or actual gameplay sections.

Link Posted: 3/31/2023 2:33:47 PM EDT
[#38]
A much needed mod

https://www.nexusmods.com/residentevil42023/mods/259?tab=posts

Attachment Attached File

Dude needed his Quaker Oats hat back
Link Posted: 3/31/2023 3:18:26 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
A much needed mod

https://www.nexusmods.com/residentevil42023/mods/259?tab=posts

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/333164/259-1680206079-466350551_jpeg-2765206.JPG

Dude needed his Quaker Oats hat back
View Quote

That looks much better

Why the hell did they leave it out in the first place?
Link Posted: 3/31/2023 3:21:41 PM EDT
[#40]
I was more put off by how Salazar now looks like Deep Roy doing a Beethoven cosplay. The hat helps, but he doesn't look like an unearthly child anymore... he looks like a weird grandpa midget.
Link Posted: 3/31/2023 3:50:12 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I was more put off by how Salazar now looks like Deep Roy doing a Beethoven cosplay. The hat helps, but he doesn't look like an unearthly child anymore... he looks like a weird grandpa midget.
View Quote

I relished dumping 5 magnum rounds from my Broken Butterfly into that little sack of shit instead of closing distance and knifing him.
Link Posted: 3/31/2023 3:52:25 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I'm having the same dilemma with the Dead Space remake. Both games were fantastic, but paying new price for a remake rubs me the wrong way.
I mean, how different could it be? If I can get Dead Space used, eventually I'll play it. Don't really have the urge to play RE4 again.
View Quote
Yep, I'm holding out on the Dead Space Remake until I can get it for $20 or $30.  

As far as RE4, I never thought it was that great of a game... similar to how I feel about every other RE game.
Link Posted: 3/31/2023 4:00:22 PM EDT
[#43]
I never played the OG 4.
Started with 3, went to 1, skipped 2 for some reason, then 5, 6.
I thought the Remake of 1 years ago was really good.
The remake of 2 was decent.
The Remake of 3 sucked. Graphics were good, but it seemed like they cut out half the damn game.
Was bored for a couple of nights and watched a tuber video of the Remake of 4. Damn it was good, if I had a newer Xbox, I'd get it.
3 is still my favorite since it was the first I played.
I've watched some play throughs of 7 and 8, not a fan.
Might get around to playing them one day.
Link Posted: 3/31/2023 4:03:57 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote

My gf said he looks like Paula Deen

Link Posted: 3/31/2023 4:05:10 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I never played the OG 4.
Started with 3, went to 1, skipped 2 for some reason, then 5, 6.
I thought the Remake of 1 years ago was really good.
The remake of 2 was decent.
The Remake of 3 sucked. Graphics were good, but it seemed like they cut out half the damn game.
Was bored for a couple of nights and watched a tuber video of the Remake of 4. Damn it was good, if I had a newer Xbox, I'd get it.
3 is still my favorite since it was the first I played.
I've watched some play throughs of 7 and 8, not a fan.
Might get around to playing them one day.
View Quote

4 remake is like four times as long as 3 remake....well worth the money
Link Posted: 3/31/2023 4:29:59 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote
They did. As I understand it, Capcom outsourced it to a B team to make a quick buck, and it was received about as well as you'd expect as a result. The original game was also basically a side project, but it ended up being done so well that I consider it to be underrated, and it's a shame it got such a crap remake.
Link Posted: 3/31/2023 4:32:53 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
They did. As I understand it, Capcom outsourced it to a B team to make a quick buck, and it was received about as well as you'd expect as a result. The original game was also basically a side project, but it ended up being done so well that I consider it to be underrated, and it's a shame it got such a crap remake.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah most people dont know that Code Veronica is the true Resident Evil 3 and Nemesis was a side game that got a number release last minute to keep the trilogy on Playstation. (Also because of poor DC sales)

Sad because it wraps up a lot of aspects of the  of the original trilogy storyline

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top