Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 6
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 11:42:42 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Ohio screwed up when it let double-dipping come in ---you could retire after 20-30 years in, start drawing your pension, stay "retired" for 30 days, and then get your old job back.  Public employers thought it was great because they got off the hook for the retirement benefits and would often pay less than the wages you made before.  Big PROBLEM--the retirement funds counted on the money the replacement hires would contribute--but with double-dippers they do not get that back.  Also, Obamacare raised costs through the roof.
View Quote
Bingo. Lots of retired fed workers doing the same fucking thing. It is a scam, and should be illegal.
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 11:43:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Stop letting 40 year olds retire with full benefits.
View Quote
I have NEVER met a 40 year old who could retire with benefits.

I have met a couple who could retire to poverty or get another job.
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 11:44:24 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I have met a couple who could retire to poverty or get another job.
View Quote
He’s being dramatic and talking shit
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 11:47:12 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Fire/police jobs are a young mans game.

In the grand scheme of life that’s not “old” but for police or FF it’s damn near ancient!
View Quote
Because they could retire much earlier with a sweet health plan. Most in the private sector work into their 60's before retirement. Having someone work for 30 years at a pd, and draw a pension for 25-30 years is not sustainable. That is reality.
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 11:48:55 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
The military retirement system is managed properly and is not an inordinate burden to taxpayers.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Isn't that what the military has?
The military retirement system is managed properly and is not an inordinate burden to taxpayers.

The DOD has literally trillions missing from the books. They couldn't even complete a full audit last year due to how badly mismanaged their accounting was.
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 11:50:01 AM EDT
[#6]
“No dollar amounts have even been discussed,”

then how the fuck do they know this will work out better ????
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 11:50:48 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
It’s certainly not 40, like you’re saying

Poor bastards hired after 2013 have to be 52
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Boo hoo.
It’s certainly not 40, like you’re saying

Poor bastards hired after 2013 have to be 52
Maybe not by you but the majority are on the 20 and out plan which is absolutely retarded. So if you join at 20 years old you retire at 40 and get 45+ years of benefits for 20 years of work.

"Poor bastards"? Lol. The rest of the country including many government jobs work a lot longer than that. Cry me a river.
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 11:51:49 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I think the next cash cow they will be eyeing for slaughter will be retirement income.  More people are moving out than in, more people are going on disability, businesses are leaving.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pretty much this... Buy your own f'n health insurance and stop expecting tax payers to pay for it. While we're at it, kill the taxpayer funded pensions and get a 401k like the rest of us.
The taxpayers are not on the hook for this as in California, Illinois, or other places where the public pension funding is built on wishes and dreams. Ohio's public pensions are required by law to remain solvent, and cutting benefits is what they are doing to remain so. This does not represent a hit on the taxpayers.
Pure genius on the part of unions to get the IL Constitution amended to include verbiage that pension benefits cannot be diminished.

Plus the automatic 3% COLA every year was another genius move.

For the life of me I cannot figure out why the pension system is so in the red...
Didn't the residents vote in the amendment?
It happened back in 95 and I do not know the answer.  Found this tidbit:

The existing pension law took effect on July 1, 1995. After a 15-year phase-in period, the law requires the State to contribute a level percentage of payroll sufficient to bring the retirement systems’ funded ratios to 90% by FY2045.

The State’s funding plan defers a large portion of the required State contributions to future years, which has resulted in growth in the unfunded liability, the estimated benefits not covered by pension assets. Illinois pension funds have consistently ranked as among the worst funded of all the states, including in a recent survey by Bloomberg, which was based on FY2015 data.

The five funds’ total unfunded liability stood at almost $19.5 billion, with a combined funded ratio of about 52%, before the law took effect. As discussed here, the total unfunded liability was $126.5 billion as of June 30, 2016 and the combined funded ratio was 39.2%, based on the actuarial value of assets. Besides insufficient State contributions, the unfunded liability has also grown due to changes in actuarial assumptions, poor investment returns and benefit increases, according to COGFA.

The following chart shows the retirement systems’ projected total unfunded liability and combined funded ratio from FY2017 to FY2045. The unfunded liability is projected to keep growing through FY2028

Source We have a plan, lofl
They'll  just keep raising taxes.
I think the next cash cow they will be eyeing for slaughter will be retirement income.  More people are moving out than in, more people are going on disability, businesses are leaving.
Your IRA is not safe. When the government systems start to show obvious cracks and the social security checks start bouncing they are going to take private retirement funds while they tell you that's not really piss on your back but actually rain.
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 11:54:52 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 11:54:56 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
40? Don’t be dramatic. I have to be 48 to retire
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I can retire at any age once vested.

When I can start drawing on it is another matter (50 for me).
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 11:56:44 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

The DOD has literally trillions missing from the books. They couldn't even complete a full audit last year due to how badly mismanaged their accounting was.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The audit difficulties stem from the intersection between hardware, real estate, personnel, and money.  Money and personnel forecasts are a subset of that, and by themselves are easier to reconcile and keep audit-ready.  Do you have any more accounting lessons for me?
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 12:02:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Am I supposed to be outraged? Because I’m not.
View Quote
Not even a little bit.

In fact it's the only thing that makes sense to me.
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 12:07:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I don’t know what they have now but I still stand by the statement.

Health care is killing our company’s and people are living longer.  Unless we have some great breakthroughs in cancer, diabetes and other areas this cannot go on.

People will have to work longer.  Firemen and police may be a young mans game as some said but there are other jobs they can do in the fire and police service that are not as vigorous and who is to say they cannot do other trades.

We are going to change or go broke.  People need to look at the Great Depression and decide what it’s going to be.
View Quote
Shit, a roofer, framer, concrete finisher, steel worker all work in much harder conditions, with greater risk of injury. The public sector guys leave early because they can.
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 12:10:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
The audit difficulties stem from the intersection between hardware, real estate, personnel, and money.  Money and personnel forecasts are a subset of that, and by themselves are easier to reconcile and keep audit-ready.  Do you have any more accounting lessons for me?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just one.

$800,000,000,000 and growing in unfunded liabilities isn't a properly managed system.

Thus concludes the lesson.
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 12:12:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Exactly the same here.
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 12:17:00 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
While I may "know" you I've never met you....

ETA:  isn't yours a medical retirement, and that would just seem to add to the point being made?
@extorris
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 12:19:45 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 12:21:41 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
We had more than a few eligible to retire at 40 until Giuliani raised the age to be hired to 21.

Quoted:
Isn't yours a medical retirement, and that would just seem to add to the point being made?
I retired early at 39 but was eligible for a regular service retirement at 40. Got hired at 20 years old.
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 12:21:55 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I've got 18 years until I'm eligible.  I figure we will be on single payer by then.
View Quote
Eligible right now if I wanted.

And what is that circle 10 in your your icons
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 12:23:07 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Eligible right now if I wanted.

And what is that circle 10 in your your icons
View Quote
years of service bars, i believe lol
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 12:23:33 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
We had more than a few eligible to retire at 40 until Giuliani raised the age to be hired to 21.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I don't know any of our guys or others that could do that.  Eligible yes, realistic no
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 12:23:56 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 12:29:02 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
You think McLegal aliens are free to treat?
View Quote
Yahtzee!
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 12:30:52 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

If the agreement 25 or 30 years ago when they signed up was health premiums for life it should stand.  Why should they be different?  I don't know what your career was but did it entail the possibility of being killed every day?  I see your from WI like me.  In case you didn't know pension benefits are considered private property rights and can't be touched once you retire in our great state.
View Quote
Once you accept that we vote in a new set of rule makers every couple of years whose job it is to determine what words mean going forward, you quickly realize that promises and written words really aren't worth what you think they are...  Bird in the hand...
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 12:32:30 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

People who retire before they’re 50 can get Medicare?
View Quote
No, it's for people who are at a realistic retirement age.
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 12:32:36 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Pure genius on the part of unions to get the IL Constitution amended to include verbiage that pension benefits cannot be diminished.

For the life of me I cannot figure out why the pension system is so in the red...
View Quote
Illinois is a pension plan with a State.
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 12:34:39 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Just one.

$800,000,000,000 and growing in unfunded liabilities isn't a properly managed system.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just one.

You're trying hard to be wrong about a lot.  That number is a holdover from when DoD was doing exactly what states and munis are doing now.  It's not growing will also be gone by 2025 or so.

Now maybe you can educate us about your previous statement of how the government will inevitably seize IRAs, and how the government will prevent the markets from imploding when they do so.
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 12:38:50 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
“No dollar amounts have even been discussed,”

then how the fuck do they know this will work out better ????
View Quote
They know they will stay solvent. They are required to.
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 12:40:36 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Yeah that was a pretty good call.

We try and save like it’s not going to be there. I consider it a bonus if it is.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Let’s just hope your pension is still intact when you get there.

Mine was looking iffy as fuck (74% funded) so I pulled the eject handle with 11yrs in.
Yeah that was a pretty good call.

We try and save like it’s not going to be there. I consider it a bonus if it is.
Bingo.  I am projected to get 50% pension after 25 years work.  I have hitting the 457b at 14% since my second year.    I figure if the pension rug gets pulled I have a little more.  Our retirement healthcare isn’t covered per se, we buy it from the plan, either cash or with your own fund from cash value from  traded in sick leave.  We are capped at How much sick leave you can carry so in time with inflation you will still pay cash.  Our retirees bitch about their checks getting smaller as the health care costs for their plan goes up.
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 12:42:30 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Just one.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just one.

Well, you're obviously NOT in a reading intensive occupation...

That same report states the unfunded portion is scheduled to be fully amortized by FY25.
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 12:43:48 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I love it how Arfcom loves to bitch about police and fire retirements as being too generous but in the same breath will defend the 20 year military retirement like it’s a model system.

There is a reason they are pushing the BRS on us.

For the record, I am hoping to double dip on both the .mil and fire pension end.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Currently the fund (I guess the DOD retirement fund?) is facing close to $800 billion in unfunded liabilities.

There is so much of a concern they are recommending major changes to the current system.

Report from Sept 2018
I love it how Arfcom loves to bitch about police and fire retirements as being too generous but in the same breath will defend the 20 year military retirement like it’s a model system.

There is a reason they are pushing the BRS on us.

For the record, I am hoping to double dip on both the .mil and fire pension end.
No fn way my knees would have held up to thirty years in the infantry.  I know there are some studs that do, but they’re the exception.

Now your Air Force records clerk or dental hygienist, sure, thirty five years is do able.
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 12:44:33 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Name a cancer and firefighters are more likely to get it than the general public.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I wonder if private insurance policy pricing will be biased against firefighters given their testicular cancer rates from all of the shit they’re exposed to on the job.  Save lives then hung out to dry.  Kinda fucked up.
News to me that FF suffer from increased risk of testicular cancer
Did some side work for a career firefighter, said it was endemic among those he knew in that line of work.

Googled for backup and found this..

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/12594776/
Name a cancer and firefighters are more likely to get it than the general public.
Ovarian...... bunch of pussies
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 12:46:05 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote
"realistic" according to who?

do you believe someone who works 25+ years shouldn't be able to retire?
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 12:47:12 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Happens all the time in the private sector.
I worked for 37 years, now retired...my company provided health insurance goes up every year, and could be cancelled at any time.
Is it somehow different because I'm not a cop or FF?
I don't like what is happening to them, but why should they be any different?
View Quote
This right here. Mine is getting more expensive and the company is also passing on more costs to us. Not just the increases but our premiums are being more and more passed on to us.
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 12:48:08 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Now it's time to do the same with teachers!
Bring on the flames.
View Quote
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 12:49:31 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Well they do get a stipend

young firefighters: "Good luck old guys. Get on the iceflow"
View Quote
Until that too becomes to big a burden...
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 12:54:25 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Before it’s over we will all be paying cash for Doctors and medicine and insurance will be unaffordable.

It is unrealistic for private citizens to work till they die to pay for health care for public employees who retire  at 55 years or less age. Some only working for 20 years and then collecting a life pension and healthcare.
It cannot continue.
Yup and there is a lot of jobs in the military where outside of basic training you your body doesn't get beat up.  Admin jobs, specialized skills etc.
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 12:55:48 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Went right OVER YOUR HEAD.  I am 50-55, I am a firefighter, and he basically called me an old guy.  Do you get it now???

ETA: Yea I know I am 27 in, just more FYI
View Quote
If it makes you feel any better I think you're a young guy...
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 12:57:58 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sure you can retire. However you shouldn't be able to collect until 62 like the rest of America.

If it were a private sector job then I don't care either way. Their company, their rules.
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 1:14:30 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I know now lots of peoples pensions have gotten screwed over.  Fire and police are not special golden boys.  But in the course of my career I have repetitively come into contact with chemicals and situations that have a cumulative effect on my health.  

I dont expect you to understand if you haven't been educated on it.  Bottom line is these conditions can potentially make retirement years hard.  And those retirement years come earlier for most because their body gets used up.

So your medicare comment can be null and void for many as in their later years many can no longer pass the physical ability test.
View Quote
And?

So have electrical workers who work on hot lines carrying 30 or 60+ kilovolts which could kill them instantly if they screw up.  I suppose that's better than a life of disability?  What about steel workers handling the pickling process?

Public sector employees, specifically police and fire, and especially military, aren't somehow special and entitled to "more".  If there aren't enough people applying for the jobs, the pay or benefits will have to increase.  But stop preaching this shit about that they are somehow sacred cows.

I do agree with people however that if they enter into a private contract to provide certain compensation (including insurance coverage such as in retirement), and the employee holds up his end of the contract, than the employer should be holding up their end too.
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 1:24:09 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I told my wife she is going to have to work long after I retire so she can carry our insurance.
View Quote
I have seen several stay at home moms get full time jobs after the husband retires basically just for the health insurance. His pension pays the bolls, she works for the health care.
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 1:27:48 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I’ve just just over 20 years in a “cruiser” now and can’t fucking fathom the thought of doing 20 more years...even 10 more.
View Quote
Desk, dispatch, jailer, SRO, DARE, detective.

Surely there is something you can do?
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 1:28:20 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote
What private sector jobs would allow you to retire so early, unless you created your own wealth?
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 1:30:13 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
A pension without guaranteed heath benefits is junk.  
View Quote
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 1:30:31 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

What private sector jobs would allow you to retire so early, unless you created your own wealth?
View Quote
No Idea.  I don't work in that sector so I don't act like an expert on it.  Unlike some people here, on the vice versa.

Working 40 years in an office job is probably equivalent to working 2 years in a cruiser though!!
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 1:39:47 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 1:40:09 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Didn't the NJ residents vote in Phil Murphy and his gun banning, illegal alien loving ass?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pretty much this... Buy your own f'n health insurance and stop expecting tax payers to pay for it. While we're at it, kill the taxpayer funded pensions and get a 401k like the rest of us.
The taxpayers are not on the hook for this as in California, Illinois, or other places where the public pension funding is built on wishes and dreams. Ohio's public pensions are required by law to remain solvent, and cutting benefits is what they are doing to remain so. This does not represent a hit on the taxpayers.

Didn't the residents vote in the amendment?
Didn't the NJ residents vote in Phil Murphy and his gun banning, illegal alien loving ass?
Um, who cares about NJ when talking about IL.
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 1:40:34 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
And?

So have electrical workers who work on hot lines carrying 30 or 60+ kilovolts which could kill them instantly if they screw up.  I suppose that's better than a life of disability?  What about steel workers handling the pickling process?

Public sector employees, specifically police and fire, and especially military, aren't somehow special and entitled to "more".  If there aren't enough people applying for the jobs, the pay or benefits will have to increase.  But stop preaching this shit about that they are somehow sacred cows.

I do agree with people however that if they enter into a private contract to provide certain compensation (including insurance coverage such as in retirement), and the employee holds up his end of the contract, than the employer should be holding up their end too.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I know now lots of peoples pensions have gotten screwed over.  Fire and police are not special golden boys.  But in the course of my career I have repetitively come into contact with chemicals and situations that have a cumulative effect on my health.  

I dont expect you to understand if you haven't been educated on it.  Bottom line is these conditions can potentially make retirement years hard.  And those retirement years come earlier for most because their body gets used up.

So your medicare comment can be null and void for many as in their later years many can no longer pass the physical ability test.
And?

You are the only one making this comparison.  Do what's right for you.  Pick your career wisely.  Educate yourself on the hazards.  I'm not bitching about my life or think I deserve more.
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 1:40:48 PM EDT
[#49]
Under FERS, fed.gov offers Early Out Retirement to some a limited number of agencies allowing retirement with an immediately payable pension and lifetime health insurance as early as age 50 with just 20 years of service and these are not law enforcement agencies.  
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 1:41:02 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
What do you propose they do when the fund runs dry?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Happens all the time in the private sector.
I worked for 37 years, now retired...my company provided health insurance goes up every year, and could be cancelled at any time.
Is it somehow different because I'm not a cop or FF?
I don't like what is happening to them, but why should they be any different?
If the agreement 25 or 30 years ago when they signed up was health premiums for life it should stand.  Why should they be different?  I don't know what your career was but did it entail the possibility of being killed every day?  I see your from WI like me.  In case you didn't know pension benefits are considered private property rights and can't be touched once you retire in our great state.
What do you propose they do when the fund runs dry?
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top