BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 6
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 1:42:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Well, they have an unlimited source of money.. for one.
View Quote
Under the old military pension system, less than 5 % made it to a pension, they were setting aside money for everyone currently in uniform, and they felt tht they had to tweak the system so that those who didn't make it to 20 came away with some form of participation trophy.
The jury is still out on whether the new pension plan will be a winning proposition.
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 1:44:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

No Idea.  I don't work in that sector so I don't act like an expert on it.  Unlike some people here, on the vice versa.

Working 40 years in an office job is probably equivalent to working 2 years in a cruiser though!!
View Quote
Your second sentence contradicts your first.

Link Posted: 12/19/2018 1:44:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Most people don't retire from the military anyway.  BRS saved a small amount but doesn't represent a major change in military retirement liabilities-it was primarily instituted to appease people bitching about not getting anything if they got out before 20.  Remember that BRS still pays out at 2.4% (edit: might actually be 2.0%) of base pay as opposed to 2.5% of base pay for the old system.  But yeah, when DoD "listens to the troops" and gives them what they say they want, DoD will do it in a way that saves the bureaucracy money.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

lol. So that’s why they are pushing the BRS on us right?
Most people don't retire from the military anyway.  BRS saved a small amount but doesn't represent a major change in military retirement liabilities-it was primarily instituted to appease people bitching about not getting anything if they got out before 20.  Remember that BRS still pays out at 2.4% (edit: might actually be 2.0%) of base pay as opposed to 2.5% of base pay for the old system.  But yeah, when DoD "listens to the troops" and gives them what they say they want, DoD will do it in a way that saves the bureaucracy money.
Are they wrong in their almost trillion dollar unfunded liabilities prediction?
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 1:45:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Again, no.  The fund is healthy and the "unfunded liabilities" is the amount held over before the fund was created, when military retirement came directly from the Treasury.  The "unfunded liabilities" will be paid off by 2025.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Currently the fund (I guess the DOD retirement fund?) is facing close to $800 billion in unfunded liabilities.

There is so much of a concern they are recommending major changes to the current system.

Report from Sept 2018
Again, no.  The fund is healthy and the "unfunded liabilities" is the amount held over before the fund was created, when military retirement came directly from the Treasury.  The "unfunded liabilities" will be paid off by 2025.
Then why the major changes requested?
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 1:45:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Your second sentence contradicts your first.

View Quote
Well no shit.  That was the point

Are you really that dense?
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 1:48:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Well no shit.  That was the point

Are you really that dense?
View Quote
lol

This whole troll thread is about losing pension healthcare. Who in the private sector hasn’t?

You want to be similar and different at the same time.
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 1:58:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Well, I would like to answer the question, but I don't know what your career was before reitrement.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Happens all the time in the private sector.
I worked for 37 years, now retired...my company provided health insurance goes up every year, and could be cancelled at any time.
Is it somehow different because I'm not a cop or FF?
I don't like what is happening to them, but why should they be any different?
Well, I would like to answer the question, but I don't know what your career was before reitrement.
I was a lineman for the Telco. Cable repair towards the end. 37 years of working outside in Wisconsin. Most times physically demanding.
I was able to retire with my full pension (Not paid for by taxpayers) at 48 (but worked 7 more years) after 30 years and retiree medical until the company decides to say F off. So far, so good, although premiums do go up every year as do the deductibles.
I took my pension as a lump sum at 55 to insulate myself from the company.
I'm not complaining-as I was free to get a different job at any time-as everyone else is.
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 2:05:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

lol

This whole troll thread is about losing pension healthcare. Who in the private sector hasn’t?

You want to be similar and different at the same time.
View Quote
Are you over 48?

Are you retired?
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 2:06:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Are you over 48?

Are you retired?
View Quote
Why does that matter?
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 2:11:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Why does that matter?
View Quote
because you're giving input, just curious
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 2:17:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

lol. So that’s why they are pushing the BRS on us right?
If the DoD used GAAP it's safe to say the numbers are generally correct.  And?  In the context of this discussion, DoD identified a funding shortfall and is resolving it within 7 years.  I'm not hearing about a lot of states fixing their problems.
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 2:19:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Currently the fund (I guess the DOD retirement fund?) is facing close to $800 billion in unfunded liabilities.

There is so much of a concern they are recommending major changes to the current system.

Report from Sept 2018
BRS isn't a major change.  It will result in a relatively minor cost savings to DoD's retirement liabilities.
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 2:20:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Bingo. Lots of retired fed workers doing the same fucking thing. It is a scam, and should be illegal.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ohio screwed up when it let double-dipping come in ---you could retire after 20-30 years in, start drawing your pension, stay "retired" for 30 days, and then get your old job back.  Public employers thought it was great because they got off the hook for the retirement benefits and would often pay less than the wages you made before.  Big PROBLEM--the retirement funds counted on the money the replacement hires would contribute--but with double-dippers they do not get that back.  Also, Obamacare raised costs through the roof.
Bingo. Lots of retired fed workers doing the same fucking thing. It is a scam, and should be illegal.
I knew someone that triple dipped..city, state and federal !
Fully vested with city PD..retired at homicide investigation pay.
vested US Customs and Border Patrol
Then finished up with States Attorneys office as investigator.
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 2:23:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Um, who cares about NJ when talking about IL.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pretty much this... Buy your own f'n health insurance and stop expecting tax payers to pay for it. While we're at it, kill the taxpayer funded pensions and get a 401k like the rest of us.
The taxpayers are not on the hook for this as in California, Illinois, or other places where the public pension funding is built on wishes and dreams. Ohio's public pensions are required by law to remain solvent, and cutting benefits is what they are doing to remain so. This does not represent a hit on the taxpayers.
Pure genius on the part of unions to get the IL Constitution amended to include verbiage that pension benefits cannot be diminished.

Plus the automatic 3% COLA every year was another genius move.

For the life of me I cannot figure out why the pension system is so in the red...
Didn't the residents vote in the amendment?
Didn't the NJ residents vote in Phil Murphy and his gun banning, illegal alien loving ass?
Um, who cares about NJ when talking about IL.
Because if the voters voted for it it must be OK, right?
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 2:24:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

old guys at the FD seem fairly common

It's not uncommon to see a 50-55 year old driving an engine for a FD
View Quote
I'm not sure they should be called firefighters.  Isn't it around 80% medical work?

IMO, "firefighting" jobs should be designed as short-term employment for younger people, not stay-in-the-system-till-retirement tenure.  Featherbed positions is what they are.
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 2:32:03 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

No Idea.  I don't work in that sector so I don't act like an expert on it.  Unlike some people here, on the vice versa.

Working 40 years in an office job is probably equivalent to working 2 years in a cruiser though!!
View Quote
Thank you for your service.
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 2:39:57 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I'm not sure they should be called firefighters.  Isn't it around 80% medical work?

IMO, "firefighting" jobs should be designed as short-term employment for younger people, not stay-in-the-system-till-retirement tenure.  Featherbed positions is what they are.
View Quote
Depends on the department. In the FDNY (largest firefighting force in the world) the engine companies respond to certain medical calls, but not all. And the truck companies and special units do not respond to medical calls at all. There are truck companies in the FDNY that respond to 5,000+ calls a year and not a single one is an aided case.

So yea, they should still be called Firefighters...
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 2:40:34 PM EDT
[#18]
The OAPFF told me that since health insurance has gone pear shaped post Obama the end game is to lobby for medicare at 50 for OP&F pensioners.
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 3:17:01 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Because they could retire much earlier with a sweet health plan. Most in the private sector work into their 60's before retirement. Having someone work for 30 years at a pd, and draw a pension for 25-30 years is not sustainable. That is reality.
View Quote
Well then, I guess you could force them to work longer, but then many of the ones you're having work longer will get hurt more often on the job and ultimately retire "early" with a medical retirement, which costs more than a standard retirement. Guess that the joke would be on you then.
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 3:25:12 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Thanks Obama.
View Quote
Here lies the answer.
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 3:31:30 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
40? Don't be dramatic. I have to be 48 to retire
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Stop letting 40 year olds retire with full benefits.
44 for me
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 3:51:04 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
No Idea.  I don't work in that sector so I don't act like an expert on it. Unlike some people here, on the vice versa.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What private sector jobs would allow you to retire so early, unless you created your own wealth?
No Idea.  I don't work in that sector so I don't act like an expert on it. Unlike some people here, on the vice versa.

Link Posted: 12/19/2018 3:53:10 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Here lies the answer.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Thanks Obama.
Here lies the answer.
Did their unions lobby for it?
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 4:08:05 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

old guys at the FD seem fairly common

It's not uncommon to see a 50-55 year old driving an engine for a FD

LOL in your opinion....LOL
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 4:59:18 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
LOL in your opinion....LOL
View Quote
If he just means the term “firefighters” needs to go away, it’s kind of hard to disagree with him

I have a buddy that still works for a FD in a city of about ~40,000. He says he might go on a half dozen actual fires a year, if that

I just looked up the stats for his station for 2017 (not the whole department just his station)

20 fire runs
1062 ems runs.

I’m sure you know it better than anyone Lug. Modern fire departments are overburdened with bullshit “I have a headache take me to the hospital” and “it’s 3am my ankle is sore take me to the hospital”

I wish there was a way to see how many of those ems runs were transported critical/life threatening and how many were transported just because the person didn’t want to drive themselves
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 5:19:15 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

If he just means the term “firefighters” needs to go away, it’s kind of hard to disagree with him

I have a buddy that still works for a FD in a city of about ~40,000. He says he might go on a half dozen actual fires a year, if that

I just looked up the stats for his station for 2017 (not the whole department just his station)

20 fire runs
1062 ems runs.

I’m sure you know it better than anyone Lug. Modern fire departments are overburdened with bullshit “I have a headache take me to the hospital” and “it’s 3am my ankle is sore take me to the hospital”

I wish there was a way to see how many of those ems runs were transported critical/life threatening and how many were transported just because the person didn’t want to drive themselves
View Quote
Yep.  23,000 total responses.  120 actual structure fires.  $40,000,000 annual budget.  $5,000,000 fire losses on $22,000,000 assessed value structures.  The budget is more than even the assessed value of the structures that burned.  It would be cheaper to let the buildings burn to white ash, and probably be doing the owners a favor.  It's basically a racket.  Pickup drunks, druggies, hypochondriacs and old people who've fallen and can't get up.

Too many stations, too many employees, too high a portion of senior employees, too high price benefits packages.  But every levy all the goodie-goodies are out "Vote Yes on Proposition 87" pay higher taxes, give more money to government employees, increase the unfunded pension liability by hiring more, yada, yada.
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 5:38:15 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
"realistic" according to who?

do you believe someone who works 25+ years shouldn't be able to retire?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, it's for people who are at a realistic retirement age.
"realistic" according to who?

do you believe someone who works 25+ years shouldn't be able to retire?
Depends on how much they've saved?

You think taxpayers & businesses should cover 40 years of retirement for 25 years of service?  Math seems a bit fucky on that one, but I'm sure a gov't actuary can make it work.  ;-)
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 5:42:38 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

20 fire runs
1062 ems runs.

View Quote
Since my area went to fire districts (tax funded vs membership based) they have been building nicer and nicer buildings.  They insist on responding to every medical call even when not needed.  Gotta keep those call numbers up to justify funding.  They still do important work but a lot of busy work to justify their existence.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17wqbXR8nT0
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 6:35:46 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Yep.  23,000 total responses.  120 actual structure fires.  $40,000,000 annual budget.  $5,000,000 fire losses on $22,000,000 assessed value structures.  The budget is more than even the assessed value of the structures that burned.  It would be cheaper to let the buildings burn to white ash, and probably be doing the owners a favor.  It's basically a racket.  Pickup drunks, druggies, hypochondriacs and old people who've fallen and can't get up.

Too many stations, too many employees, too high a portion of senior employees, too high price benefits packages.  But every levy all the goodie-goodies are out "Vote Yes on Proposition 87" pay higher taxes, give more money to government employees, increase the unfunded pension liability by hiring more, yada, yada.
View Quote
Cool, one size fits all.

Senior employees, shows how clueless you are on the subject.  You know nothing about benefits packages.  You see some headlines about certain places with "goodie-goodies" and think it is standard.

Clueless, and I will not change your mind.  I know this because you have already proven you are not willing to seek true answers of a cross section, and would rather cherry pick the ones that make your case.  yada, yada, yada
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 6:37:05 PM EDT
[#30]
I know two retired Dayton P.D. Officers that have went back to work because of it.
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 6:38:04 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Depends on how much they've saved?  

You think taxpayers & businesses should cover 40 years of retirement for 25 years of service?  Math seems a bit fucky on that one, but I'm sure a gov't actuary can make it work.  ;-)
View Quote
And this is where I am and I am happy about it.  I have skin in the game.  Pretty much all of it.  There is no defined benefits.  It is 'HOW MUCH DID YOU PUT IN?"  and that is how much you will take away.

Lots of people think they got it figured out for every fire dept in America though.  They are all sweetheart deals.  LOL
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 8:56:32 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Before it’s over we will all be paying cash for Doctors and medicine and insurance will be unaffordable.

It is unrealistic for private citizens to work till they die to pay for health care for public employees who retire  at 55 years or less age. Some only working for 20 years and then collecting a life pension and healthcare.

It cannot continue.
View Quote
Winner Winner Chicken Dinner!
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 9:11:06 PM EDT
[#33]
Only an idiot would:
-Fail to recognize the immense benefit brought to the table every single day by the seasoned, older guys.
-Use run numbers as the yardstick to measure FD productivity.
-Get cranked up over the simple term, "firefighter".

If you disagree with me though I have good news, you most likely have a promising career in FD upper management or local government administration.
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 9:29:06 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Under the old military pension system, less than 5 % made it to a pension, they were setting aside money for everyone currently in uniform, and they felt tht they had to tweak the system so that those who didn't make it to 20 came away with some form of participation trophy.
The jury is still out on whether the new pension plan will be a winning proposition.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, they have an unlimited source of money.. for one.
Defined contribution helps the guys who bail at 15 years because they don't like whoever wins an election, and establishes very clear costs to the taxpayer.

Kharn
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 9:30:45 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Like the moon landings being fake?  Yeah, he's brilliant.
View Quote

Read, and enjoy!
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 9:35:56 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
44 for me
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
44 for me
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 9:39:44 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
My 30 years will be in at age 53. Wont be able to afford HC so I'll work until 65, by the time 65 comes around I figure it will actually be age 70. So I plan on doing about 47 years at the S.O.
View Quote
Well your in with the rest of us then.  No shame in working.
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 9:51:39 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I’ve just just over 20 years in a “cruiser” now and can’t fucking fathom the thought of doing 20 more years...even 10 more.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep, why so many guys are still working when they really should have retired.

We have no healthcare with our pension in WA
They’ll be working until they die at their desk/cruiser now
I’ve just just over 20 years in a “cruiser” now and can’t fucking fathom the thought of doing 20 more years...even 10 more.
I have been doing electrical work full time 41 years and part time four years before that in high school. Before that two years in summers.

I am just about sick of the customers, employees, insurance, regulations and taxes.

My knees are shot and while I have learned to work smarter I hate it every fucking day.

But this is what I do and I am good at it.

I have 6 years 6 months till full SS if it’s still there but I just about have to work until Medicare at 65.

I could probably retire now if not for the medical. But the way things are going I feel I should keep going just in case.
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 11:34:44 PM EDT
[#39]
I cannot remember which state but there was a recent ruling about state constitutional pensions. The court in this state said that reducing future pension plans during a contract talk was constitutional because that promise only lasts as long as the contract. So in year 1-3 the pension may promise $1000/month. Next contract for years 4-6 might drop it to $800/month. Next contract it drops again... and so on.

Fast forward to retirement. The retiree will get $1000 in his retirement for years 1-3 then drop to $800 for years 4-6 and so on.

At least the language in this particular state's constitution was not strong enough to remove the wiggle room.
Link Posted: 12/20/2018 12:51:36 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 12/20/2018 3:22:05 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

20 fire runs
1062 ems runs.

View Quote
Honest to God critical calls?  Maybe one in 20.

There are however most of he calls are one you or I wouldn’t call emergencies, but are more than just someone not wanting to drive.  In my old AO the abusers were pretty low.  To the point where we all knew them by name.
Link Posted: 12/20/2018 6:45:14 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Defined contribution helps the guys who bail at 15 years because they don't like whoever wins an election, and establishes very clear costs to the taxpayer.

Kharn
View Quote
If someone leaves the military just because of who sits in the Oval Office, they're a fool.
Link Posted: 12/20/2018 6:53:21 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
If someone leaves the military just because of who sits in the Oval Office, they're a fool.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Kharn
The same holds true at all levels of government .  It gives the employee freedom to take his labor to another employer if his no longer behaves in a mutually agreeable manner.
Link Posted: 12/20/2018 7:00:50 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
By far!  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
You're on a roll tonight, BOSS.
He's always on a roll, but, he's one of my favorite posters.  
By far!  
+11
Link Posted: 12/20/2018 8:21:26 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
AT&T did that to us years ago. They're called HRAs (healthcare reimbursement accounts).
View Quote
My DAD had a NCR Pension. that I guess became ATT in a buyout.  thank god he had VA coverage when He got ALS>
Link Posted: 12/20/2018 11:10:14 AM EDT
[#46]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
44 for me
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/57330/thehorror-778266.gif
Link Posted: 12/20/2018 11:22:35 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Kharn
Or excessive SHARP training, unpopular/unjust wars, asshole 1SG, bad PCS options, didn't pick up, wife puts her foot down, etc? Why should 20 be the winner-take-all number instead of a 401k system?

Kharn
Link Posted: 12/21/2018 7:26:30 PM EDT
[#48]
I read today that groups of people are filing lawsuits over this against the pension board.
Link Posted: 12/21/2018 7:37:54 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I read today that groups of people are filing lawsuits over this against the pension board.
View Quote
people who willingly gave up the responsibility for the care and feeding of their retirement benefits program are so upset that the people they gave the responsibility to screwed it up that they are suing them, thereby incurring more costs to the retirement benefits program?

i'll have a coke.
Link Posted: 12/21/2018 7:45:52 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Or excessive SHARP training, unpopular/unjust wars, asshole 1SG, bad PCS options, didn't pick up, wife puts her foot down, etc? Why should 20 be the winner-take-all number instead of a 401k system?

Kharn
View Quote
The 401 was never intended to be a primary retirement plan. It's horrible in that role.
With only low single digits getting to 20 years, there was no reason to ditch the traditional pension. Sorry for the peacetime service members  who bailed out  before 20 and thought that they were owed something. Sorry for the ones who thought that in joining they could dictate the conflicts they would be willing to participate in
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top