Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 10:27:00 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 10:32:01 AM EDT
[#2]
Mississippi is terrible.  No one should move here.
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 10:41:38 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

It’s interesting, how nobody even mentioned TX as a candidate.   Word got out, that it’s expensive, high taxes, and being taken over by liberals.
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 10:43:05 AM EDT
[#5]
Also if you haven’t read this thread- it’s a sobering no shit look at what’s happening out here. Not just to Montana but ID, WY, UT, and believe it or not parts of OR and WA. This is what happened in CA decades ago when I lived there.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=2634529&tl=In-Montana-an-Avalanche-of-Wealth-Is-Displacing-Workers
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 10:44:07 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
What states offer tax friendliness for retirement while being very 2A friendly?

I'm coming up with Wyoming.

Who else?
View Quote

lol armilz
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 10:52:12 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

NC ?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Wyoming is a good call.  No state taxes and as much 2a freedom as you'll find anywhere.  If you can put up with the wind, the winters and the isolation, it's perfect.  

I'm ready to go someplace warm.

NC ?

Jo Dee Messina - Heads Carolina, Tails California (Official Music Video)

Link Posted: 4/3/2023 11:00:19 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
It’s interesting, how nobody even mentioned TX as a candidate.   Word got out, that it’s expensive, high taxes, and being taken over by liberals.
View Quote

Here’s why:
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 11:10:56 AM EDT
[#9]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Here’s why:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/16397/TEXAS-Closed-2662329.jpg

No mountains, all private land, weather you have to experience to believe-Austin, it’s expensive, and meat sauce. What’s the attraction?
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 11:12:26 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

Like other states, in TX, it depends upon where you live. Not so expensive in lots of areas. Very low overall tax burden, 6th lowest state.
Lots of liberals in some areas but more than balanced by other areas of the state.
My only complaint is the minimal public land.
You should do a little research before you open your mouth.
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 11:12:33 AM EDT
[#11]

From one high egress area to one high ingress area for us.  Used to live on a 4 lane arterial street where you would get 100 mph bike runs in the middle of the night…. to a .8 mi dead end 25mph residential street with just one terrorist, a kid in a golf cart right out of a a 50’s or 60’s scene, ear to ear grin almost touching the speed limit.
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 11:21:14 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Mississippi
View Quote

No this place is terrible. All the stereotypes are true. Also, we're full.
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 11:22:01 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
How about fucking your own face?

I do a lot to stem the tide.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Howsabout you work on fixing your fuckin state?

Link Posted: 4/3/2023 11:24:22 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Mississippi is terrible.  No one should move here.
View Quote

Correct.
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 11:28:13 AM EDT
[#15]
I'm just fine staying above the Snake-Frost line.
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 11:36:40 AM EDT
[#16]
If you move around enough (I have) you'll discover that states without an income tax tend to equal out in overall budget inflows through the rate and number of other taxes. Property, vehicle, utility, food...there are a thousand ways to draw blood.

The cost of living becomes a much larger factor in the long run. Just as an example, six figure jobs are plentiful in WA and there's no income tax, but there is a 9.29% combined state and local sales tax...7% capital gains tax over $250K, and a 6.5% ordinary vehicle tax rate.

And then...

$0.49 per gallon of gas

Cigarettes and little cigars: $3.03 per pack

Cigars: 95% of sale price, with a cap of $0.75 per cigar

Moist snuff: $2.53 per 1.2-ounce container

Other tobacco products: 95% of sale price

Vapor products: Closed products, $0.27 per ml; open containers greater than 5 ml, $0.09 per ml

Beer: $0.26 per gallon

Wine: $0.87 per gallon

Liquor: $14.27 per gallon, plus 20.5% "Spirits Sales Tax"

Marijuana: 37% excise tax

Link Posted: 4/3/2023 11:38:47 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

My kids were always fascinated by cockroaches, having never seen one.

"Why don't we have cockroaches around here?"

"Well, winter started just before Halloween and it's April now and still snowing..."

Link Posted: 4/3/2023 11:42:41 AM EDT
[#18]
Mississippi is hard to beat.

There is state income taxes, but the cost of living is so low it doesn't really matter.

If you like the beach, Diamondhead is surprisingly affordable compared to a similar place in Alabama or the FL panhandle. I'm not sure how well trout/ fly fishing is there but if you can stand the Doberman Pincher sized deer, MS is very solid in the outdoor recreation category.

If you are a veteran, the state makes it even sweeter.

Negatives about Mississippi though: no mountains (and none of the 'sippi boys better even try to include Woodall Mtn), Jackson is a shithole like most major cities these days, public schools are hit and (mostly) miss*, and demographics in the Delta aren't super.

Pros: 2A, COL, nice people, great food, good music, good weather.

*Contrary to popular belief, there are good public schools in Mississippi - Oxford, the white flight southern Memphis metro area, Tupelo, the coast. If you're retiring, I'm guessing public school quality isn't much of a concern.
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 11:45:08 AM EDT
[#19]
I think there are going to be a LOT of for sale signs from retirees here this spring/summer... this winter will send the weak packing.

If you don't like winter, this is not the place for you. It's tough for people with medical conditions as there aren't a lot of good hospitals. If something major happens to you... you're going to want to be treated out of state.

Link Posted: 4/3/2023 11:57:56 AM EDT
[#20]
No place is going to be perfect, but Oregon has pretty mild weather compared to the rest of the country.  We don't have any water issues either.  

Texas has Austin.  Oregon has Portland and Eugene....and we haven't had any need to go to either in over 10 years.

Cost of living is a bit higher overall, but living in unincorporated county does help.

We're in our mid 60's and want to stay within 30 minutes of GOOD medical care.  Crap does happen a lot easier and a lot worse as you gain the years.  We have phenomenal medical care around us and never need to drive towards Portland.

A major airport within an hour is another major consideration.  That's the only time we need to drive towards Portland.
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 12:02:19 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
If you move around enough (I have) you'll discover that states without an income tax tend to equal out in overall budget inflows through the rate and number of other taxes. Property, vehicle, utility, food...there are a thousand ways to draw blood.

The cost of living becomes a much larger factor in the long run. Just as an example, six figure jobs are plentiful in WA and there's no income tax, but there is a 9.29% combined state and local sales tax...7% capital gains tax over $250K, and a 6.5% ordinary vehicle tax rate.

And then...

$0.49 per gallon of gas

Vapor products: Closed products, $0.27 per ml; open containers greater than 5 ml, $0.09 per ml

View Quote

$0.49 per gallon of gas

This is a new IN ADDITION too tax.
Bastards.
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 12:04:39 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Factor weather into that equation and see what happens.

View Quote

For real!
I've done the harsh winter weather enough in my life.
No golf in SD or WY for 6 months or so each year.
I like my 60 to 100 degree range of sunshine.
If I have to pay a little extra for it, that's life.
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 12:23:12 PM EDT
[#23]
There is no free lunch.  States need money to operate.  So if taxes are low in one area, you can bet they are made up in others.
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 12:27:31 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
No place is going to be perfect, but Oregon has pretty mild weather compared to the rest of the country.  We don't have any water issues either.  

Texas has Austin.  Oregon has Portland and Eugene....and we haven't had any need to go to either in over 10 years.

Cost of living is a bit higher overall, but living in unincorporated county does help.

We're in our mid 60's and want to stay within 30 minutes of GOOD medical care.  Crap does happen a lot easier and a lot worse as you gain the years.  We have phenomenal medical care around us and never need to drive towards Portland.

A major airport within an hour is another major consideration.  That's the only time we need to drive towards Portland.
View Quote

Good medical care in Oregon exists in Portland, Bend  and to a lesser extent Salem.

is very  iffy everywhere else for any major issue
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 12:35:09 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

There is state income taxes, but the cost of living is so low it doesn't really matter.

If you like the beach, Diamondhead is surprisingly affordable compared to a similar place in Alabama or the FL panhandle. I'm not sure how well trout/ fly fishing is there but if you can stand the Doberman Pincher sized deer, MS is very solid in the outdoor recreation category.

Negatives about Mississippi though: no mountains (and none of the 'sippi boys better even try to include Woodall Mtn), Jackson is a shithole like most major cities these days, public schools are hit and (mostly) miss*, and demographics in the Delta aren't super.

*Contrary to popular belief, there are good public schools in Mississippi - Oxford, the white flight southern Memphis metro area, Tupelo, the coast. If you're retiring, I'm guessing public school quality isn't much of a concern.
View Quote

There's an intangible to the quality of life living in those cost of living "bargain" states, i.e., Mississippi, Louisiana, New Mexico, West Virginia, et al...

There tends to be quite a bit of hard-core poverty, and it's an ever-present spectre. It directly reflects in their crime rates, but less obviously if you're living fairly well you're always reminded how badly large swaths of the population aren't. I thought my wife would love the Appalachians, but we had a long drive to town past falling down shacks and disintegrating single wides you'd swear were abandoned derelicts, until you saw the filthy children playing out front or the burning trash barrels. Between that and the obesity, tattoos, smoking, dirty clothing and barefoot kids being dragged into Walmart...coming from a poor background it really bothered her, to the point we moved back to Idaho.

There are "good" areas in every state, but damned if I'd trust them as insulation from bad times, and worse...

“This boy is Ignorance. This girl is Want. Beware them both, and all of their degree, but most of all beware this boy, for on his brow I see that written which is Doom, unless the writing be erased.”
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 12:42:08 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
You have to include cost of living in this equation.

For example, Mississippi has a state income tax (and great gun laws)....but is so cheap to live in most areas, you could still come out ahead of a no tax state.

View Quote
Mississippi does not tax retirement.

Link Posted: 4/3/2023 1:06:35 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
If you move around enough (I have) you'll discover that states without an income tax tend to equal out in overall budget inflows through the guy rate and number of other taxes. Property, vehicle, utility, food...there are a thousand ways to draw blood.

And then...

$0.49 per gallon of gas

View Quote

Washington has the 30th lowest overall tax burden.
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 1:08:32 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

Mississippi has the 21st lowest overall tax burden.
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 1:23:45 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Most of the west is pretty expensive, also some middle America and western cities, even small ones, have Baltimore level murder rates. Right outside the city might be really nice areas of farms, small towns and forests.
View Quote
AIMLESS..... been years since I've seen your avatar.  Love it.  Just saw this thread and said hummm.  And there you are.  You're still in my former state, yes? lol, i may only log in once a year, just saying.
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 1:25:25 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote

Wallethub.com ranks it 25th, but I think it depends on which taxes are factored in. That's kind of the point, though. Great, no income tax! But you still end up in the middle of the pack for overall tax burden. Same source has Texas at 29. Florida fairs well at 46, though.

Highest to lowest tax burden

The swing is wide, from 12.4% down to 5.06%, but the outliers (New York at the top, Alaska at the bottom) tend to exaggerate that disparity. Most states cluster between 8.XX% and 6.XX%.

You can do better based on your income source. Some states treat mil retirement very well, for example.
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 1:27:52 PM EDT
[#31]
Don't move near Nashville. They are averaging about 200,000 new residents a year.
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 1:28:00 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

No mountains, all private land, weather you have to experience to believe-Austin, it’s expensive, and meat sauce. What’s the attraction?
View Quote

Also, for some, the great preponderance of gay homosexuality is a definite draw back. For some, maybe a positive.
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 1:29:14 PM EDT
[#33]
Georgia isn’t too bad. As long as we can stem the super bleeding heart, anti 2a influx, it’ll remain an awesome place to live. Plenty to do and see, and plenty of open space to shoot and do nothing. Great hiking, pretty mild seasons, not crazy cost of living if you choose the right area, and pretty nice people if you stay out of the city.
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 1:30:06 PM EDT
[#34]

Tell that to your southern neighbors. Lol
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 1:32:51 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
The Bitterroot Valley in MT is considered the "Banana Belt" and we have the Yellowstone ranch. Ever see them in mass quantities of snow?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_6fZUeapEg

Zero sales tax.
View Quote

Listen, I was born and raised in Missoula and am 406 till I die, but Montana is expensive as fuck. I pay less in car tabs per year on a truck, suv and trailer than my dad spends on his truck alone. Property taxes?  Terrible. And don’t forget state income tax.

And the problem with the root is it’s full of rooters.  I still get nervous when I see 13 license plates.

Now Eureka?  That’s the Banana belt.
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 2:00:05 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Tennessee and Iowa if withdrawing from qualified account.
View Quote

Iowa’s income taxes for non retirement income is also dropping to a 3.9% flat rate in the next few years.
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 2:02:48 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
SD

Message too short

View Quote

I am planning on SD.
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 2:04:52 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Good medical care in Oregon exists in Portland, Bend  and to a lesser extent Salem.

is very  iffy everywhere else for any major issue
View Quote

No fucking way I would call the liberal shit hole that is Portland a choice for OP.

Link Posted: 4/3/2023 2:06:18 PM EDT
[#39]
Many mentioned weather.

Let refine that a bit and say "cost of energy".

If you need air conditioning all summer and heating all winter, there is a cost factor for all that energy which you must include in the calculation.  

Remember, there is never any equity gain from the money paid out for energy.  Your house may be relatively inexpensive but be sure to deduct the long term cost of energy from any asset evaluation.
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 2:10:34 PM EDT
[#40]
I lived my entire life in Northern Colorado close to the Wyoming border.  When we retired and decided to get out of Little Kalifornia (and this was back before Colorado had totally turned Commie) we didn't want any more cold and wind so Wyoming was out of the running.  We choose Arizona as it was warm here, very pro 2nd Amendment and very conservative back when we retired here.  That, unfortunately, is changing as more libtards move here from states such as Kalifornia and Washington.  It really doesn't take long these days with the work from home movement.

My point is, if you're not retiring for a few years the whole complexion and make up of a particular state may change as more and more liberals from shithole states move to the remaining conservative states.  You may want to hold off on your decision of which state until you're closer to retirement.  Wyoming is likely a safe bet as it will be one of the last to fall simply because it doesn't have a bunch of big cities, run by democrats, to skew the legislation.  So if you can handle the weather it's fine---for now.
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 2:11:27 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Missouri for sure.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/3/2023 2:12:03 PM EDT
[#42]
Come to Georgia.  We need more conservative voters.
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 2:12:36 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Howsabout you work on fixing your fuckin state?

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 2:14:07 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

"Well, winter started just before Halloween and it's April now and still snowing..."

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Exactly.  Cold keeps out critters of all kinds.
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 2:25:17 PM EDT
[#45]

IIRC, the lowest life expectancy of any US state or territory, like a good 10 year difference from whoever is at the top.  Depressed economy doesn’t attract the best and brightest in terms of medical professionals, or quality control for basic things like food.  If going there to retire, this might be important.
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 2:36:50 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Here’s a chart for taxes….

https://taxfoundation.org/tax-burden-by-state-2022/
View Quote

Like I mentioned with the aggregators I posted, they aren't always accurate.

That is another flawed aggregator.

https://taxfoundation.org/state/new-hampshire

Attachment Attached File

NH has no income tax.  It has an Interest and Dividend tax which applies to maybe 20% of the population.

This tax is currently 5%, will be 4% next year, then 3, etc before going away entirely in 2027.

I question where they are getting their data.
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 2:39:31 PM EDT
[#47]
"Tax friendliness" is very subjective based on your personal situation

What is your distribution your money? Tax deferred IRAs/401ks? Roth? Huge unrealized capital gains (ie business/property/long term stock holdings)? What kind of brackets are we talking about? A lot of redder states have gone flat tax, but not all, some tax capital gains different than income, some dont. Some exclude SS, some dont. Some have a standard deduction that's higher than others, some don't.

What kind of property are we buying? Someone looking at million dollar properties might not feel the same about a high property tax as someone buying a 200k house out in far rural land. - Property tax will bite you no matter how much money you're realizing on your taxes. Living only on SS with giant roth accounts and savings in a million dollar house in Texas is going to suck for taxes. But that same person in Idaho/Nevada/Utah/Colorado with fairly low property taxes is going to pay far less.

What kind of spending are we going to do and what are we spending it on. If you're an arfmillionaire who loves buying a new car every 6 months, living in say South Tucson, AZ with an 11% sales tax is fucking stupid.

Every state is a little different if that's what you want to maximize. In reality, a few grand a year difference in taxes for most people, pick the fucking state you want to live in.
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 2:46:35 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Exactly.  Cold keeps out critters of all kinds.
View Quote

Lots of good things about Wisconsin.

We loved it there last summer.

I don't want to deal with my vehicles rusting and I'm not confident in the politics staying favorable.

I've enjoyed Arizona this winter and could see myself getting settled here as well but property is expensive here and I also don't trust the politics.
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 2:52:52 PM EDT
[#49]
Eastern Tennessee
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 3:06:58 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If you move around enough (I have) you'll discover that states without an income tax tend to equal out in overall budget inflows through the guy rate and number of other taxes. Property, vehicle, utility, food...there are a thousand ways to draw blood.

And then...

$0.49 per gallon of gas

As much as I dislike WA right now and it is NOT the place you want to go if you're talking 2A, this is a prime example of a state that can serve you well depending on your business and income.

B&O is retarded, but it's also one of the primary reason why software companies do well here.

No income taxes and very reasonable property taxes are the reason why higher paid tech people do very well here.

I pay 0.9% property tax, no income at all, and have a 10.4% sales tax. Compared to say TX, to have a similar valued home I'd be well over 1.6% to possibly over 2% depending on taxing jurisdiction in property taxes and 8ish% sales tax. Several thousands dollars more a year easy in property tax. Move to Idaho and you might save on property tax, but that 6.5% income tax will BITE with a higher income, but sure look at that chart and Idaho is "WAYCHEAPER" on taxes.

Now there's a million other nickel and dime things WA does with cars, fishing/hunting licenses, etc and of course just general cost of goods and high labor prices especially on things that depend on the lower wage end.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top