Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 3:13:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Came here to SC.... from NYS (Buffalo area) about 6 years ago. Homestead act and retirement issues are very tax friendly. Home taxes went from $10,000 / yr in NY, to $635/yr down here.... when all the senior and other credits hit the books. Plus.... no lousy Blue politics and no 6 months of snow. Perfect?...no.... but pretty good overall. Hot and humid July and August, but overall no regrets.

This might be a good place to look for an overview--->
https://www.kiplinger.com/retirement/600892/state-by-state-guide-to-taxes-on-retirees
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 3:17:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

IMO southern NH is kinda boring and soulless.

The better parts are north and west.

NH is hard to beat tax and freedom wise, but the cost of entry is moderately high.

These aggregators are hit and miss, but can provide a start point.

https://www.freedominthe50states.org/
https://www.freedominthe50states.org/overall/new-hampshire

https://www.npr.org/2023/03/30/1166970506/tax-burden-by-state-income-property-sales

View Quote
Yeah, southern NH, especially SE NH, is mostly Massholes who now have a NH address.   Libtards try hard to get a "general" tax, sales and/or income, passed every year.   Once they do, that will open the door for limitless state government growth, as happens everywhere.   As long as we have enough Republicans to prevent that, NH govt is pretty limited in how much it can grow.   And of course, the less it can grow, the less they can install new bureaucrats to fuck with your everyday life.  The libtards just submitted a whole pile of anti-2A bills this winter.   All got shot down.  We NEED more Republicans to offset the constant stream of Massholes and other commies flooding in here.  

The Free State Liberty Project chose NH as their ideal destination.   Of course, the libtards wailed about how awful and "unfair" that was, but even their goal of some 20,000 freedom-minded patriots moving in is just a drop in the bucket compared to all the foul liberals moving into the SE region and everything around the colleges, especially Dartmouth and DHMC.   Healthcare-wise, you can't beat DHMC, but closer you live to it, the more full-on libtard your town will be.

The Free State Project
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 3:21:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
NH has no sales or income tax. However, we're constantly fighting the influx of down country liberals who want to move here and make our state like the shitholes they came from.

But...

Lots of people move here for the freedoms but leave after a couple of brutal winters.
View Quote
very much a thing here, which is why we need more STRONG, uncompromising hard-core conservatives
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 3:37:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
You have to include cost of living in this equation.

For example, Mississippi has a state income tax (and great gun laws)....but is so cheap to live in most areas, you could still come out ahead of a no tax state.

View Quote

Thus, I was stationed in Biloxi temporarily and really liked the town. It's kind of like Vegas 30 years ago only you ha e an ocean to go with all your beach.
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 3:48:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Temperatures - part of your choice will be which not-so-great temperatures you can handle better.  Unless you're in coastal SoCal, it's probably going to be too hot or too cold for varying amounts of the year.  I can take very cold better than I can take very hot.  If I'm cold, I can add more clothes, work harder, add heat, etc.  If I'm hot, there's only so many clothes I can remove, and I'm less inclined to want to do physical work outside, or do much of anything, except lay around and think about how hot it is.    Others may be the opposite.  I don't think I could take a southern state in the summer.   In NH, if it gets 90 or above for 3 days in a row, they call it a "heat wave" and the news and weather people gush about it.   There are usually only a handful of days per year that are uncomfortably hot.   OTOH, November through March are pretty cold, and even April can be pretty chilly.  40s right now.    I wear at least 3 layers of clothes 6 months out of the year.
Even though NH is a pretty small state, there is a distinct difference in northern NH and southern NH, both in climate and in people, environment, etc.   I just drove from mid-NH into MA (yuck!) yesterday.  There's still over a foot of snow in the woods in mid-NH, none at all in southern NH.   I used to live in Nashua.  There's about a 2-week difference in the spring when buds come out between Nashua and even mid-NH.   If you can't take a southern NH winter, you sure as hell can't take winter in mid-NH or especially northern NH.   People in mid or southern NH go to northern NH for snowmobiling when there isn't enough snow for it where they live.
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 3:50:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I would say WV. We have lots of little taxes, but overall our tax burden is pretty low. And its getting better.
View Quote

What he said. As far as 2A friendly we pretty much do what we want. I would stay away from Morgantown though. It's dripping with liberalism and has turned into a giant homeless camp. The areas outside of town still aren't too bad though.
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 4:01:12 PM EDT
[#7]
North Georgia is about as good as it gets. No state income tax on pensions and SS. Over 65 you pay no school taxes, property taxes are dirt cheap, insurance is cheap. You just can't find more support for the 2nd than around here.  Land is still cheap.
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 4:15:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I'm just fine staying above the Snake-Frost line.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 4:20:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Are you looking for an invitation to make sweet love to your own face? Because that's how you get invited to make sweet love to your own face.

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/0c96c781a5e6260d0827848aec47d205-381.gif
View Quote

Glad my daytime slumber brought in more good info.

I guess I'm not going to be able to focus just on the two titled things, obviously, but that's a starting point. Medical and cost of living will play a big factor.

Thanks everyone!
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 4:21:55 PM EDT
[#10]
In for the comments and suggestions.  I'm ambivalent about cold weather and I do like 4 seasons.  My wife prefers something warmer than Central-Midwest.
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 4:22:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
For better or worse, the answer is TN.

If there was a better place I'd move there. There isn't.
View Quote

And they do have nukes maybe I can try to get into before retirement too.
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 4:24:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Mississippi is terrible.  No one should move here.
View Quote
I agree which is why I passed on multiple recruitment opportunities from Grand Gulf nuke.
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 4:24:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I'm just fine staying above the Snake-Frost line.
View Quote

Free pest control around the house with our Copperheads and king snakes.

" />
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 4:28:15 PM EDT
[#14]
So, you are planning to retire and move up north?  How many snowy winters do you reckon until your final heart attack?
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 4:33:14 PM EDT
[#15]
I'm retiring in about 3.5 yrs but it's a moot question for me.  I'm required to be a GA resident to maintain my qualifications.  But overall, the North GA mountains meet your criteria pretty well.  
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 4:41:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Hard to beat NH, and we need all the conservative Republican voters we can get.   Make sure you you leave any city values, city demand for services, city attitudes, city expectations, etc back where you came from.

View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 4:45:31 PM EDT
[#17]
Yup, I like it. I don’t like the home values and property taxes skyrocketing. But I can do stuff all year long. Shoot, carry, fish, dive….sure it costs a bit more, but you get what you pay for.
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 4:46:57 PM EDT
[#18]
I believe MO is looking at a law right bow that would end property tax for people drawing SS retirement, or maybe at the age to do so. Not sure what the final language will be or if it will pass
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 5:44:12 PM EDT
[#19]
I'm looking at TN for retirement.
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 6:08:48 PM EDT
[#20]
SD offered to hire all those FL school teachers that quit over DeSantis's don't say gay policies.

"No state tax" TX isn't all it's cracked up to be.

Property taxes are $$$$ in TX. Only way you make out is being 100% disabled Vet and not having to pay.

2 examples of property tax from when we were looking to relocate...both 3bd/2ba, approx same sqft and both on 10 acres.
MT - $900
TX - $5400

Here in AZ paying state tax I am still saving over $4000 compared to living in TX and our AZ place is on 72 acres.
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 6:15:53 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
We've done this (good) exercise repeatedly for the past 2 decades.

WY, MT & SD are high on the list...but. Weather & cost of living.

One way or another state governments ARE going to fund themselves. They aren't going to print their own money so cost of running .gov has to come from other sources - property taxes, sales tax, use tax, fuel tax...you get the picture.

If you have the funds & time (ie-retired) or can work from home, Holding residence in a low tax state makes some sense. But living semi-nomad can be a way to have the best of it all.

Summers in WY & winters in AZ, NM & west TX is currently the best compromise I can come up with.

View Quote
Not all of AZ is hotter then damn it.  

I live in rural northeast AZ at 6400' elevation with mild summers and while we get snow in winter it is usually melted in a week or less.
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 6:35:52 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
The legislative branch and governors office are firmly in Republican control. They are voting all the time to drop little fees and taxes.

Again, after my last divorce I briefly stayed with my mom in Md. My work was taking out Md income taxes. I got back to WV as soon as I could find a house, it was like getting a pretty decent raise, just the decrease in state taxes with held.

We have constitutional carry, our self defense laws are as good as any, outside of Texas, theirs is the best.

But, the Republicans are slowly unfucking what it took the Democrats to do over several decades.
View Quote

Quoted:
Gov Justice signed a bill this year that will reduce state income tax by 21% starting in 2024. WV has been running a surplus the last few years that is over a billion dollars, so they are reducing income tax by $750 million to compensate for the surplus.

County taxes are property tax and personal property on vehicles. The valuation varies by county, and primarily the county taxes pay for schools. Counties with fewer schools due to low population, or large tax payments by business have lower property tax on individuals. There is a "homestead exemption" for folks over 65 years old that reduce the tax on their primary residence by 20%. I can give you an example on taxation, my property taxes are about $2000/year. My primary residence is about 2000 sq ft house on three acres with a small 720 sq ft barn and a 1500sq ft garage. My property tax on my home is about $950. I also have a 72 acre farm about 15 miles from home and property taxes on it are $1000. The farm is high because the income from a gas well exceeds the value of the farm proceeds, so it is taxed at a higher rate than agricultural (about 60% higher).

The county personal property taxes are on vehicles. Everyone seems to make a big deal of it, but four cars/trucks/SUV and two motorcycles that I own I pay about $110 a year. Starting in 2024 the personal property tax looks like it will be deductable from state income tax. The only city taxes I am aware of are some larger cities (bear in mind the largest "city" in the state is about 70,000 population) are permitted to charge a 1% sales tax on top of the state 6% sales tax.
View Quote

I appreciate the info, gentlemen. Right now I am looking at TN and WV. Not sure how it will all play out. I'm thinking maybe put everything into storage, rent a place, sell my MA house, then buy a house to retire in.
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 6:51:16 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
So, you are planning to retire and move up north?  How many snowy winters do you reckon until your final heart attack?
View Quote

Winters tend to keep the riff raff out.  Well, except maybe some folks on AR15.com General Discussion.  Among the riffiest and raffiest on God's green earth.  But, welcome anyway.
No State retirement taxes in Iowa should any of you think this is a good idea.  
2A friendly.  But, very cold in December, January and February.  
Brownells HQ in the middle of the State.

kwg
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 6:55:23 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Factor weather into that equation and see what happens.

View Quote
Country flag checks out.

Link Posted: 4/3/2023 7:42:46 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Also, for some, the great preponderance of gay homosexuality is a definite draw back. For some, maybe a positive.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/3/2023 7:47:51 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Surprised it hasnt been posted yet,

https://media3.s-nbcnews.com/j/msnbc/2013_44/65916/laura-conaway6F63C376-C5EB-B158-DC2C-3308B60225CA_f4928ec20d27316fe6db1701a5a8f643.nbcnews-fp-1200-630.jpg

Winters are pretty tame, summers are hot but no humidity on the Western side.  Low cost of living and low taxes.  Last year's property taxes were $377 for 3600 sq ft house with pool and barn on 10 acres.

Damn, I just realized we are full, you might want to consider Florida
View Quote

Hush it!!
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 7:48:43 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 7:51:19 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
No place is going to be perfect, but Oregon has pretty mild weather compared to the rest of the country.  We don't have any water issues either.  

Texas has Austin.  Oregon has Portland and Eugene....and we haven't had any need to go to either in over 10 years.

Cost of living is a bit higher overall, but living in unincorporated county does help.

We're in our mid 60's and want to stay within 30 minutes of GOOD medical care.  Crap does happen a lot easier and a lot worse as you gain the years.  We have phenomenal medical care around us and never need to drive towards Portland.

A major airport within an hour is another major consideration.  That's the only time we need to drive towards Portland.
View Quote

Contrary to what the TX folks like to pretend, the libtard is in more places then just Austin.  Every major city in TX votes blue.

TX also has almost no public lands, so you need to buy enough to do your shooting and get a lease to hunt on.

At one point we were considering buying a place around Graham, TX to retire on as our late son lived there at the time.
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 7:53:16 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Don't move near Nashville. They are averaging about 200,000 new residents a year.
View Quote

At this point in time only an idiot would move near ANY large city.
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 8:37:51 PM EDT
[#30]
Wyoming is great, but cold and almost always windy. I was there the first week of May one year, and it was snowing.

FWIW, there are more people that live in Alaska than in Wyoming. It's the least habited state in the USA. FYI

Cheyenne is 1.5/2 hours North of Denver, and a pretty neat town. I would consider there, myself.
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 8:52:33 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 8:59:57 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Wyoming is great, but cold and almost always windy. I was there the first week of May one year, and it was snowing.

FWIW, there are more people that live in Alaska than in Wyoming. It's the least habited state in the USA. FYI

Cheyenne is 1.5/2 hours North of Denver, and a pretty neat town. I would consider there, myself.
View Quote

Thank you for choosing my thread for your first post.
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 9:47:53 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
North Georgia is about as good as it gets. No state income tax on pensions and SS. Over 65 you pay no school taxes, property taxes are dirt cheap, insurance is cheap. You just can't find more support for the 2nd than around here.  Land is still cheap.
View Quote

Georgia is the only state I've ever lived in. Thank the Lord!! Had my  cargo shorts on for weeks already. And will ontil after Christmas.  Constitutional carry. Great law enforcement.  Low crime here. Low cost of living.
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 10:52:17 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

+1

The only deal-breaker is the weather.  But that does add in some interesting outdoor activities.
View Quote

That and the slow northern creep of massholes. Nashua, Pelham and Portsmouth are liberal havens. The nice thing about NH, is the farther north you go, the redder the state. the bad thing is the same, colder, much colder.
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 10:53:53 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Thank you for choosing my thread for your first post.
View Quote
That is weird.  On here for over EIGHT years before making a post, goes for the "where to move to".
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 10:56:32 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I'll take a look at TN too.
View Quote

Oak Ridge.

Right at home near Y12 or Watts Bar.
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 11:08:20 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
There is no free lunch.  States need money to operate.  So if taxes are low in one area, you can bet they are made up in others.
View Quote

Here in NH, it's made up with likker stores on the internstates.... No lie, not "just off of exit 32", they are literally in the rest areas.
Link Posted: 4/4/2023 5:27:52 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

They tax my pension.
Link Posted: 4/4/2023 5:31:45 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Trying to avoid Florida.
View Quote

That is probably a good idea, between the number of people moving here every day and the home insurance crisis this is just not paradise anymore.
Link Posted: 4/4/2023 5:35:30 AM EDT
[#40]
Not Alaska.  Our great State is bordering on purple.  The state legislature is filled with democrats and fraud RINOs that caucus with them to “get things done”.  The residents do not know what conservative values are, they keep re-electing Lisa Murkowski…. She is completely useless.

Despite some pretty solid taxes (outside of the Anchorage municipality) the cost of living here is outrageous.
Link Posted: 4/4/2023 5:44:53 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
FL starting July 1 is permitless concealed-only carry. Property taxes are cheaper compared to GA. Weather wise, if you enjoy heatt and humidity, it sure beats frozen and cold. Cost of living is on the rise and property isn't cheap.
View Quote
Didn't read all the responses, but Fl is also a good choice because retirement assests are protected from personal lawsuits. Just ask OJ Simpson.
Link Posted: 4/4/2023 6:56:44 AM EDT
[#42]
My wife put the restriction of no snow. So I’m looking at Alabama, North Carolina, South Carolina, and maybe Georgia.

If it were up to me, Indiana, Tennessee, and West Virginia would be the primary states to look at.
Link Posted: 4/4/2023 7:48:37 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

NC ?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Wyoming is a good call.  No state taxes and as much 2a freedom as you'll find anywhere.  If you can put up with the wind, the winters and the isolation, it's perfect.  

I'm ready to go someplace warm.

NC ?

Keep going to SC or better yet TN.   People are moving to NC in droves.  Traffic generally sucks even in smaller cities,  taxes are higher than neighboring states and continue to rise.  I used to be able to escape into the national forests and spend a weekend in solitude but even that is challenging these days.  I plan to move to SE TN when the kids are gone.
Link Posted: 4/4/2023 10:17:51 AM EDT
[#44]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Also, for some, the great preponderance of gay homosexuality is a definite draw back. For some, maybe a positive.

https://imgflip.com/i/7gxvw3

IMO the biggest problem with Texas is it's full of Texans. What with their giant belt buckles, cowboy hats and boots. It seems so pointless and gay.
Link Posted: 4/4/2023 10:45:39 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I guess I'm not going to be able to focus just on the two titled things, obviously, but that's a starting point. Medical and cost of living will play a big factor.

View Quote

Medical care and access to specialty medical care is a huge thing when you look rural.  You'll often have to take a layered approach to the medical care as smaller rural hospitals can't do much.  They do a lot of transfers via air ambulance here.

Along those lines, you'll also have to factor in emergency services.  

Are you comfortable in towns with no town or county police force and only covered by the state cops with a 45+ minute response time?  That's where I am building.

Same with ambulance services.  If you have a long family history of heart attacks, you probably don't want to move to a place which is only covered by a volunteer fire department without an ambulance as your partially manned ambulance will come mutual aid from another town.

Factor in drive times for essential shopping into your cost of living.  Lots of rural states tend to have regional shopping hubs and then the most you'll get out in the sticks is a Dollar General or a locally run village store.

I set myself up in a little nothing town of <1K people.

For healthcare, I take a left out of the driveway and I'm 10 minutes to a VA outpatient clinic and my dentist.  Take a right out of the driveway and I have a local hospital with emergency room and urgent care just 10 minutes away.  Specialty care is the VA hospital and DHMC(mega good hospital) an hour  and a half south.

Taking a right out of my driveway again and I'm 15 minutes away from groceries, liquor, and a Home Depot with a Lowes literally next door from HD.

So all that is pretty convenient despite being on a decent chunk of land in a small nothing town.

That bad is the emergency services.  No reliable police response, so I'm on my own and am OK with that.

If I have a heart attack in my back yard, I'm dead as we have no ambulance.  

The house may or not burn all the way to the ground as all we have is a VFD-the current VFD is pretty good though.

Link Posted: 4/4/2023 11:04:53 AM EDT
[#46]
Moved to SW Idaho over 35yrs ago, one of the best decisions I've ever made.
We see the seasons in this area but no extremes.
2A protected in the State Constitution, which also defines gold/silver as legal tender (so no sales tax on PM purchases).
SS & federal pensions not taxed.

Unfortunately, this area has been experiencing a massive influx of refugees from other states, driving up home prices & creating bad traffic congestion.
We're both retired now and will probably stay where we are but have considered moving to a less-congested part of the state.
Link Posted: 4/4/2023 11:30:57 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 4/4/2023 1:17:34 PM EDT
[#48]
I have retired in SE Oklahoma in the mountains. Cheap living, crazy low property taxes and cheap land.
Link Posted: 4/4/2023 1:28:27 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 4/4/2023 2:25:19 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Moved to SW Idaho over 35yrs ago, one of the best decisions I've ever made.
We see the seasons in this area but no extremes.
2A protected in the State Constitution, which also defines gold/silver as legal tender (so no sales tax on PM purchases).
SS & federal pensions not taxed.

Unfortunately, this area has been experiencing a massive influx of refugees from other states, driving up home prices & creating bad traffic congestion.
We're both retired now and will probably stay where we are but have considered moving to a less-congested part of the state.
View Quote

It's all relative. I was amazed at how little traffic there was around Boise when I was there a couple weeks ago given the proximity of everything. 430 on a weekday leaving downtown was cake (relative to 430 from say Bellevue or Seattle).
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top