User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 7/20/2022 10:05:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/20/2022 10:09:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Did 78 miles today..and it's 104...I don't disagree with some of the anger here as cyclists can and usually are their own worst enemy.
View Quote

That ride is beyond impressive, and major props for a realistic attitude.
Link Posted: 7/20/2022 10:11:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Depends on if they are following the rules.

Out of bike lane (when there is one) = get buzzed.

2 next to each other and in roadway = get buzzed.

Run red light = get buzzed.

In bike lane and single file, I extend as much courtesy as possible and leave plenty of room.
View Quote

This is where I am. I generally think cyclists are douchebags....just personal experience over the years.
Link Posted: 7/20/2022 10:14:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Give them plenty of space and wait for a safe place to pass.

Yes, I am a cyclist.  I also shoot guns and drive a pickup.
View Quote

Yep. I live in the country, drive a F250, manage construction, shoot guns, own a tractor and hunt. Spinning at 98 cadence on my sworks melts the stress away.

I don’t go against the hive mind of GD much, but the idea of freedom is lost on many.

At this point, all that can be said is, at least we aren’t fat.
Link Posted: 7/20/2022 10:28:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Someone should make a Pole.
View Quote

They would just stick it in the spokes.

Link Posted: 7/20/2022 10:32:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

The kid could leave his “mark” if they were used.  

He could be known as the bloody dodger, or the running red tampmton.

So much fun to be had when you recycle!!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

waste of a good door.

Have the kiddo hang out the window and slap em on the back of the head with the wifes tampons you just picked up.

WINNING!

The kid could leave his “mark” if they were used.  

He could be known as the bloody dodger, or the running red tampmton.

So much fun to be had when you recycle!!

the fuck is wrong with you?
Why would the kid have a bag of moms used tampons? A BAG.....a fucking bag of discarded tampons?
And why would Dad have them? Not to mention handing them to the kid to hit some spandex douche with?

Yer a frikken sicko!
Link Posted: 7/20/2022 10:34:26 PM EDT
[#7]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Someone should make a Pole.

They would just stick it in the spokes.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/93/a8/5f/93a85f1098c205fad9486c00d3ea8875.png

Link Posted: 7/20/2022 10:48:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/20/2022 10:50:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Pretty sure one just got killed here in my town by a big truck. Right as my kids day camp bus went by...
Link Posted: 7/20/2022 10:53:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
If someone is riding in the shoulder and doing their part to stay out of the lane of traffic I do what I can to stay wide away from them. It comes down to mutual courtesy and common sense. They have a right to use the road...and they also need to understand that if they are going to do that, they are taking some major risks...especially if there is no shoulder (which is a lot of the roads near me)

Now...when I encounter the egomaniacs who think they are in fact a car, and ride right down the center of the lane of traffic, and refuse to get out of the way for actual motor vehicles, this is frustrating as hell. At least a few times in recent years I've pulled up to a stop light with one of these Lance Armstrong wannabes staying right in the middle of the lane waiting for a green light....then refusing to move over when the light turns green. They just pedal forward, middle of the lane, as if they are a motor vehicle, expecting me to wait for a passing opportunity as if I am passing a slow car.  

If bicycle guys want to be respected, don't act like a douche nozzle. If there is a car or truck immediately behind you, get the fuck out of the way. Im honestly surprised more of these types don't get run over.

I like riding my bike...its good exercise and its enjoyable. I also know that I max out at around 20 mph and it takes a bit to work up to that. I don't pretend to be an equal to a car on the road. If there are no motor vehicles around I ride where I want. When an actual car or truck is making its way toward me, I move and get as far out of the way as I can.
View Quote

This is what having a real fullsize train horn is for.

See how well the spandex holds in unexpected results.

I don't care if the law says you can ride in the middle of the street as if you were a car. Get out of the traffic lane, and if there's nowhere to get out of the traffic lane, you shouldn't be there.
Link Posted: 7/20/2022 11:02:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Very quick search:

[my state] does not require that bicyclists use any lane or path other than a normal vehicular traffic lane.

In [my state] bicycles are not vehicles according to the statute that defines vehicles, but a person riding a bicycle has all of the rights and duties of the driver of a vehicle as provided in Article 9-21 of the Indiana Code, except for special regulations for bicycles in Article 9-21 and those provisions which by their nature can have no application.

In [my last state] bicycles are vehicles according to the statute that defines vehicles and a person riding a bicycle has all of the rights and duties of a driver of a vehicle Chapter 6a of Title 41 the Utah Code, except for special regulations specific to bicycles and those provisions that by their nature can have no application.

I find is curious that a group, like us, who are constantly correcting "the left" about the accuracy and facts regarding guns/2A issues refuses to see the facts regarding the laws when it comes to other things (like in this case--bicycles on the road). They have every right to be there as we do (as a driver) whether we like it or not. Why on earth would I want to "buzz them with my mirror" just because I am a little inconvenienced with them.    

My father was an avid cyclist and I have a few friends that ride a lot (how many of us are over weight and don't exercise BTW..me included).  

All of us making spandex jokes is as judgmental as the "Left" making jokes about gun owners and how we are all just hill-billies, peppers, and crazies thinking the sky is falling.

Just my take.
Link Posted: 7/20/2022 11:06:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 7/20/2022 11:07:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Many are obnoxious and get treated as such.

Link Posted: 7/20/2022 11:07:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Many are not and get treated as such  
Link Posted: 7/20/2022 11:09:54 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Isn't one of those duties not to obstruct traffic?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
...all of the rights and duties of the driver of a vehicle...

...all of the rights and duties of a driver of a vehicle...

Isn't one of those duties not to obstruct traffic?

Do you think a police officer is going to pull a bike over for riding on the right side of the right lane....or pull you over for running the rider off the road (or getting way to close)....I'll leave that up to you to try  
Link Posted: 7/20/2022 11:10:51 PM EDT
[#16]
I would slow down, increase my awareness  and pass with as much room as possible.

But, if someone reacted differently, and accidentally hit the cyclist, I would probably default to f yeah another dipshit got creamed, awesome!

Link Posted: 7/20/2022 11:11:37 PM EDT
[#17]
I would never intentionally attempt to get close to one of the spandex people to cause fear or harm. That said, get the fuck off the road and ride on the bike path.
Link Posted: 7/20/2022 11:14:45 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 7/20/2022 11:21:59 PM EDT
[#19]
I don't know about your experiences, but I lived in an area that likely has one of the biggest cycling populations in country and I can count on 1 hand how many times I came up on a cyclist that was riding in the middle of the lane.

...we usually have one or two bad experiences and start to paint everyone in the same light..
Link Posted: 7/20/2022 11:22:40 PM EDT
[#20]
How to be a considerate roadside cyclist:

#1 Don't.
Link Posted: 7/20/2022 11:24:34 PM EDT
[#21]
How could you possibly move over?? You'd be driving in oncoming traffic. So stupid!!! /s
Link Posted: 7/20/2022 11:25:39 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Give them plenty of space and wait for a safe place to pass.

Yes, I am a cyclist.  I also shoot guns and drive a pickup.
View Quote

But what about the cyclists who seem to only ride on backroads that consist of nothing but blind corners with no good/safe places to pass but also refuse to get out of the way/pull over so that the 7 cars behind them can pass and maybe exceed 10MPH sometime in the next 10-15 minutes.
Link Posted: 7/20/2022 11:30:00 PM EDT
[#23]
Who's going to play you in the movie......

(no hard feelings, just having fun.....this is definitely a "1st world problem")
Link Posted: 7/20/2022 11:42:29 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 7/20/2022 11:47:48 PM EDT
[#25]
As long as they get in the center of the bike lane and stay out of the way of actual motor vehicles... it's all good and I do nothing impolite.

Unfortunately, many (not all) cyclists are impaired, and can't accomplish this simple task.  I had some dude recently try to cut me off (yes, in my car) approaching a bridge.  Dude checked behind, saw a line of cars coming up rapidly at 50+ mph, and attempted to cut everyone off by moving to the middle of the road.

Dear Dorothy, if you, Toto, and your two wheeled toy can't fit in the proper lane, you can unclip your goofy ass shoes and walk that shit on the side of the road while you contemplate what workouts for men must be like for all I care.

Link Posted: 7/20/2022 11:48:30 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

That's where I've seen the most of them. Part of the road is almost completely covered by Oak trees, making it look like a tunnel, and the people on bikes slow to look, and sometimes they stop in the middle of the road to talk and look around. I've come within a few feet of hitting them, because I came around a sharp curve and there were several people stopped in the road. They still wouldn't move, and I had to wait until I couldn't see anyone coming (no passing zone), and pass them in the oncoming lane. Very dangerous behavior, by people who don't care at all.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
But what about the cyclists who seem to only ride on backroads that consist of nothing but blind corners with no good/safe places to pass but also refuse to get out of the way/pull over so that the 7 cars behind them can pass and maybe exceed 10MPH sometime in the next 10-15 minutes.

That's where I've seen the most of them. Part of the road is almost completely covered by Oak trees, making it look like a tunnel, and the people on bikes slow to look, and sometimes they stop in the middle of the road to talk and look around. I've come within a few feet of hitting them, because I came around a sharp curve and there were several people stopped in the road. They still wouldn't move, and I had to wait until I couldn't see anyone coming (no passing zone), and pass them in the oncoming lane. Very dangerous behavior, by people who don't care at all.

On the road I travel a lot, around 4-6PM, the sun and shadows of the trees make it so it's really hard to see coming around corners. I usually drive under the speed limit just in case I go around a corner and there is a cyclist chugging along hidden by the sun and shadows.
Link Posted: 7/20/2022 11:54:41 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Roads are for motor vehicles only. If you want to ride your Huffy bike, the sidewalk is what you seek. Someone's going to tell me that it's against the law to ride on the sidewalk. No, the sidewalk is for your own safety. A vehicle and a bicycle do not mix well together. Stay in your lane which is a sidewalk and motor vehicle stay in their lane which is the street.

End of story. It's for our own safety.
View Quote

Actually you’re 100% wrong when it comes to the law.  Well, at least in my area.  

Here it’s illegal to ride bikes on the sidewalk.    we are told to use the far side of the road, with traffic and with the flow of traffic.

When I’m on roads on my way to the MUPs I ride on the very edge of the road when vehicles are passing me and over the edge line.  Into the pebbles if possible, but not on the weeds (I’m usually on town roads or country roads.

I don’t like risking still being struck by a vehicle coming up behind me so I typically cross over to the oncoming lane if someone is approaching from behind.

I’m very considerate to vehicles, but there are assholes out there on both sides of the argument for sure.
Link Posted: 7/20/2022 11:57:15 PM EDT
[#28]
I didn’t buy this baby for cows or deer.

Link Posted: 7/21/2022 12:07:49 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
A lot of us here are cyclists.
View Quote

I didn’t buy my first car until I was almost 22. I rode a bicycle, walked, or took public transportation when I had to go somewhere. If your goal is transportation, you find ways to avoid routes with motor vehicle traffic. You are a dick if you obstruct traffic so you can use the roadway as your personal exercise track.

I still ride my bike at near 70 years old.
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 12:10:00 AM EDT
[#30]
Bicycles are for sidewalks, just like pogo sticks and roller skates.
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 12:10:13 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
3 feet. Not that big a deal.
View Quote

It is on a 12’ wide roadway going 45 mph and the dick head on the 15 mph bicycle is 4’ into the lane.
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 12:21:23 AM EDT
[#32]
It's a picture thread now...

I've been loyal to Specialized for a long time..this year had to branch out..still working out geometry issues..
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 12:31:46 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

It is on a 12’ wide roadway going 45 mph and the dick head on the 15 mph bicycle is 4’ into the lane.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
3 feet. Not that big a deal.

Then slow your ass down and move to the left.
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 12:33:11 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
It's a picture thread now...

http://i.imgur.com/awO3aDT.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/3fCO6ba.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/jBi59gI.jpg

I've been loyal to Specialized for a long time..this year had to branch out..still working out geometry issues..
View Quote

I like that BMC
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 12:37:15 AM EDT
[#35]
Threads like this help justify my decision to ride bike in the CENTER of the drive lane. I used to try to squeeze over but the more room you give a driver and the more they'll take. Fuckitoll. Just ride in the center of the lane. Now all you motherfuckers can wait behind me.
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 12:50:13 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I like that BMC
View Quote

I want to like it..I’m getting there…the wait list for a new S-Works Tarmac was over 18 months..my daughter fell in love with the color and the geometry was similar so..I rolled the dice..
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 12:51:04 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
A lot of us here are cyclists.
View Quote

Almost as many as the gays here - coincidence?
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 12:53:08 AM EDT
[#38]

I rost.
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 1:41:34 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Almost as many as the gays here - coincidence?
View Quote
You getting excited now?
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 1:46:21 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I want them to feely mirror barely missing them
View Quote

English man.
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 1:48:46 AM EDT
[#41]
I'll pull off to the side, stop, and wait for car to pass.  I don't drive on busy roads.  Don't feel like getting hit by a car either.
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 1:50:16 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Correct

There are a lot of people here who are assholes towards cyclists.  I just don't get the hate.
View Quote

I recently saw a cyclist make a huge cut to the left, in front of a car, to make a right hand turn.  I can understand people's hate when/if cyclists are assholes and expect the road to revolve around them.
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 1:56:03 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

English man.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I want them to feely mirror barely missing them

English man.

And the Vicar said, "Fear not, I smote him with the door."
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 1:57:33 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Kids on their bikes?
I'll slow down (if prudent) and give them a wide berth.

Lance armostrong wannabe?
The amount of respect I'll give them is directly proportional to their behavior.
View Quote

Well said
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 1:59:28 AM EDT
[#45]
I try not to hit them.  I don’t want the aggravation.   I don’t hate them more than anyone else on the road.   Just the same amount.
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 2:00:17 AM EDT
[#46]
I love cycling threads.
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 2:01:28 AM EDT
[#47]

I think he got almost every bicyclist
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 2:18:30 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Depends on if they are following the rules.

Run red light = get buzzed.

In bike lane and single file, I extend as much courtesy as possible and leave plenty of room.
View Quote

In free states this one's not a rule.  In Idaho, for instance, cyclists can treat stop signs as yield signs, and stop lights as stop signs.

When you explain that to Karens they flip out about bikes "darting around randomly" because they hate freedom and have no concept of responsible decision making.  That's when I like to remind them we also have constitutional carry.
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 2:18:33 AM EDT
[#49]
I yell at other cyclists more while I'm cycling than I do while I'm driving. "Share the road" means they have to follow traffic laws, too.
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 2:20:13 AM EDT
[#50]
Instant Karma. Aggressive cyclist was not happy with the lorry driver who honked at him..

Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top