Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 11
Link Posted: 6/20/2023 10:42:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Tarrifs punish consumers, not producers and exporters.
View Quote

If you have any way to punish the exporters and producers in a foreign country we're all ears.
It's not a perfect tool, but it's the only one we have.
Link Posted: 6/20/2023 10:45:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Ok, please explain for the class what happens when we impose import tariffs on the Chinese.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
DeSantis is pure swamp. Wholly owned by the DC establishment. Anyone who thinks DeSantis is going to govern as a conservative is wrong. Every time some new policy question comes out, DeSantis is on the wrong side. He supports Russia and China, but not the US.

Ok, please explain for the class what happens when we impose import tariffs on the Chinese.

The net of imports from China goes down, which is bad for the Chinese economy.
Link Posted: 6/20/2023 10:45:39 PM EDT
[#3]
If Trump would not have fucked with China we never would have gotten the Kung Flu.

They had to stop trump even if it meant killing millions of innocent people across the globe.

But we have to stand up to China and Trump is the man to do that.
Link Posted: 6/20/2023 10:47:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Did you see ludder093 post above

So your supporting Trump

/media/mediaFiles/sharedAlbum/B926BC70-2451-4EC1-A889-3A3C070B9F9D-404.gif
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/20/2023 10:48:54 PM EDT
[#5]
If GD was consistent:

Link Posted: 6/20/2023 10:49:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
DeSantis is pure swamp. Wholly owned by the DC establishment. Anyone who thinks DeSantis is going to govern as a conservative is wrong. Every time some new policy question comes out, DeSantis is on the wrong side. He supports Russia and China, but not the US.

And when they retaliate by imposing tariffs on US goods?
Link Posted: 6/20/2023 10:49:37 PM EDT
[#7]
RD2024

FDJT
Link Posted: 6/20/2023 10:52:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/20/2023 10:54:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

One way is to lower corporate taxes (which you and I pay in the price of goods and services).
View Quote
I actually pay the corporate taxes directly too.

There is a reason that the people in this thread that share a similar opinion...have that opinion.

We have watched our economy change since China entered the WTO.  Now they have used that business to build a rival military and fund further espionage and stealing.  

We should stop doing that.  If it takes punitive tarrifs to alter where things are made...so be it.  People won't pay them, business will avoid them, that's how you do business.  Stuff will be made in all the other low cost locations that aren't being global dickbags.  That's what will happen.  I know this because natural economics are also making it happen already.

I buy commodity products from around the globe, things get made where they are cost effective to make. Altering that balance for strategic reasons is smart and it won't cause prices to rise over the long term. Shock changes cause spikes but they even out in the short term.

It's smart to only buy certain metals from NATO nations, so the capacity to make those metals is maintained.   In every thread like this people winge about lost capacity and our vulnerability to China because we don't make anything anymore, and in the next breath they'll quote Freedman and comparative advantage without consideration for anything else.

You can't give all your productive capacity to your strategic enemy and expect to win the coming war, that's not how it works.

I'm all for globalism among friends, but funding and teaching your enemy is the dumbest shit I've seen this country do in my lifetime.  It's not like Xi and the CCP aren't telling us exactly what the plan is, we are just too greedy to listen.

Link Posted: 6/20/2023 10:55:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Attachment Attached File
Quoted:
If Trump would not have fucked with China we never would have gotten the Kung Flu.

They had to stop trump even if it meant killing millions of innocent people across the globe.

But we have to stand up to China and Trump is the man to do that.
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/20/2023 10:55:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
If GD was consistent:

https://i.imgur.com/UFHT6Rw.jpg
View Quote
"If you support X, you must also support Y". No. Besides, you could enact a tariff on guns without getting into playing fuck fuck games with parts, but even that being the case, I don't see the necessity of that. US gun makers typically only go under as a result of making subpar products, like Remington and colt.
Link Posted: 6/20/2023 10:57:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
"If you support X, you must also support Y". No. Besides, you could enact a tariff on guns without getting into playing fuck fuck games with parts, but even that being the case, I don't see the necessity of that. US gun makers typically only go under as a result of making subpar products, like Remington and colt.
View Quote

If Obama said he wanted to ban all imported firearms and ammunition to protect the jobs of US arms manufacturers, how do you think ARfcom would respond?

How would that response change if Trump said it?
Link Posted: 6/20/2023 11:02:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

If Obama said he wanted to ban all imported firearms and ammunition to protect the jobs of US arms manufacturers, how do you think ARfcom would respond?

View Quote
Again, another "You support X So you must support Y" argument. Tariffs against China aren't anywhere near the same thing as banning an entire class of products from import from every other country on earth. If trump said that, it would be dumb too. I didn't bring up Trump or Desantis once in this thread. I think Desantis is wrong about this, but it's not like I hate him.
Link Posted: 6/20/2023 11:04:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 6/20/2023 11:12:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Fucking Chinese toadie and statist...
Link Posted: 6/20/2023 11:12:55 PM EDT
[#16]
Fuck china and our reliance on them. Let them get tariffed to shit.
Link Posted: 6/20/2023 11:14:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Why tariffs?  Why not a targeted OFAC sanction against a company, industry sector or individual?

Leave fleecing the pockets of Americans out of it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Again, another "You support X So you must support Y" argument. Tariffs against China aren't anywhere near the same thing as banning an entire class of products from import from every other country on earth. If trump said that, it would be dumb too. I didn't bring up Trump or Desantis once in this thread. I think Desantis is wrong about this, but it's not like I hate him.

Why tariffs?  Why not a targeted OFAC sanction against a company, industry sector or individual?

Because the effect needs to be gradual.
Link Posted: 6/20/2023 11:16:12 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 6/20/2023 11:19:33 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Why?

The effect of fleecing American citizens?

Targeted sanctions against specific sectors and com.  One at a time, if you want gradual.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why?

Targeted sanctions against specific sectors and com.  One at a time, if you want gradual.

Because the sudden shock to the system can be catastrophic. We need corporations to plan to move. Not one day, say oh well now you can't ship that shit here anymore and the supply dries up.
Link Posted: 6/20/2023 11:20:15 PM EDT
[#20]
Tariffs are a tool.  They are a means to collect tax.  We tax US companies on income.  We can not tax foreign companies on income, but we can impose a tarriff on their goods.  Tarriffs can also level the playing field between taxed US manufactured goods and untaxed imported goods.  That said, we don't really think of them as a revenue source, more prop to noncompetitive US businesses.  

If we used them differently, perhaps we would not have such a poor view on them.  Supposed we went back in time - would we give up our current income tax system and rather try to run our government off of tariff revenue?  It would encourage US manufacturing - but it would cut us off of the world market (both due to the increase in price of imported goods, and the increase in cost due to punitive tarriffs when selling internationally.  
---
It is fairly funny.  We talk about having a national sales tax to eliminate our income tax.  A tariff is a form of sales tax that is imposed only on imported goods - but we don't want tariffs.

That said, per the Southern States - tariffs were one of the causes of the Civil War.    The south sold much of it's product internationally, and then received foreign products back in payment.  The north had a mostly domestic market - so the tariffs effected the south more than the north-by design.  The South payed for much of the goverment of the US.
Link Posted: 6/20/2023 11:21:56 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 6/20/2023 11:26:13 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

So you punish the American people, because of a lack of moral courage?

That’s pretty shabby.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why?

Because the sudden shock to the system can be catastrophic. We need corporations to plan to move. Not one day, say oh well now you can't ship that shit here anymore and the supply dries up.

That’s pretty shabby.

Would they not be "punished" in your scenario?  They then have no choice but to pay for the higher priced alternatives, and those prices will increase even more after the sanction since supply will become limited. Supply, demand, how does it work.
Link Posted: 6/20/2023 11:36:08 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Tariffs have never worked.

If you want REAL economic warfare you need embargoes.

No one in power will ever seriously suggest an embargo.
View Quote

Lol, we not only don’t charge enough tariffs, we fucking subsidize their shipping and let them completely control the shipping. There are Chinese shipping company families that own fucking prime Manhattan residences.  Luxury commies…
Link Posted: 6/20/2023 11:36:36 PM EDT
[#24]
Chinese companies can easily avoid any tariffs by building plants in the USA to produce their fine and outstanding products in the USA.

They might ask Toyota, BMW, NIssan, Honda or Beretta, HK, Sig, and Glock how to go about that task.

Of course, that would require hiring Americans which increases wage rates in the USA, lowers unemployment in the USA, and produces increased tax receipts for the USA,  

I believe most folks would agree those would be positive outcomes for America and its people.

We have the largest, richest, and easily accessed consumer market in the world and we can enact trade and tax policies which are in the best interest of the citizens of this country and not a select group of merchants whose purchase of politicians is only rivaled by their funding of "free trade think tanks".
Link Posted: 6/20/2023 11:38:28 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 6/20/2023 11:43:31 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Their money goes to an American company, if sanctions deny them access to the Chinese goods.

In YOUR tariff scheme, their money goes to fund Big Government.

I don’t want my money going to fund China OR to Big Government in the US.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why?

That’s pretty shabby.

Would they not be "punished" in your scenario?  They then have no choice but to pay for the higher priced alternatives, and those prices will increase even more after the sanction since supply will become limited. Supply, demand, how does it work.

Their money goes to an American company, if sanctions deny them access to the Chinese goods.

In YOUR tariff scheme, their money goes to fund Big Government.

I don’t want my money going to fund China OR to Big Government in the US.

Well, Tariff's or sanctions on goods from China, doesn't mean they will be American.

But with sanctions, at least in the short term, the prices for some of those goods will skyrocket, likely not returning, and some items would become unobtanium. This is a bad way to go about the process of moving industrial production.

Some defense related items, this may be the right path. But for more general consumer goods, sanctions aren't the best path.

Well, I don't want the money from tariffs to fund bigger government, it should be earmarked for good things. It's not as if it doesn't take money to run the government, or we don't have debt.
Link Posted: 6/20/2023 11:46:29 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 6/20/2023 11:48:12 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Better than punishing the American people twice by stealing their money and funding Big Government.

View Quote

Well, if it funds the debt, then they are paying themselves.
Link Posted: 6/20/2023 11:57:32 PM EDT
[#29]
commie rino lost my vote...TRUMP2024...
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 12:02:09 AM EDT
[#30]
My favorite part is how "Conservative" Nuthouse thinks this is some big "gotcha" against DeSantis when in reality it just shows he's not economically illiterate.

It doesn't take a genius to figure out that consumers eventually end up paying all taxes and tariffs are a tax. Did everyone forget how tire prices exploded when Obozo raised tariffs on tires? Tons of threads complaining about the prices of tires on here for months after. How much did US tire manufacturing expand after that happened? I'll wait for the answer...

You want to deny China sales, don't buy Chinese stuff. Don't expect the government to do your job for you.

Link Posted: 6/21/2023 12:03:09 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

They already are.

Chinas lack of copyright protection and routine theft of IP has encouraged companies to pack up and move elsewhere.

In addition China's previous competitive advantage in wages has largely been eroded over the past decade.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Or encouraging the migration of those industries out of China.

Instead, we've our Chamber of Commerce Party advocates here still saying that enabling the biggest anti free trade element in global history is a good thing.

They already are.

Chinas lack of copyright protection and routine theft of IP has encouraged companies to pack up and move elsewhere.

In addition China's previous competitive advantage in wages has largely been eroded over the past decade.

Yep, and add in two other factors, one you hinted on.

1) Chinese workers are demanding more pay and higher standard of living which means increased costs of doing business there. It's why a number of businesses have been moving to cheaper SE Asian alternatives like Vietnam.
2) US businesses got a taste of major supply chain issues with COVID and want to bring production closer to the US. Mexico is back to looking more attractive to businesses and would help stem the flow of illegals into the US.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 12:03:21 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

It was an easy to understand example for morons
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If you can't even afford a $500 blender, I disagree.

It was an easy to understand example for morons

Apparently not.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 12:04:36 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I tried this argument 5 years ago.  They don't care.

Here's the meme I made 5 years ago:

https://i.imgur.com/0gsjj4J.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How about we make it easier and less expensive to make shit here? Isn't that better than funding bigger government?

I tried this argument 5 years ago.  They don't care.

Here's the meme I made 5 years ago:

https://i.imgur.com/0gsjj4J.jpg

Yep.

But as thorough as that is, you did forget illegals who dilute the US labor market and drive wages down.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 12:04:46 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Jetta says "become ungovernable".

https://i.imgur.com/9Mm2Jgq.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I taxed that meme, along with your (I believe) other gif from The Patriot. In the name of equality and all.

Jetta says "become ungovernable".

https://i.imgur.com/9Mm2Jgq.jpg

Link Posted: 6/21/2023 12:07:24 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

If you have any way to punish the exporters and producers in a foreign country we're all ears.
It's not a perfect tool, but it's the only one we have.
View Quote

The US government needs to get out of the way of domestic production. EPA, regulations, corporate tax, etc.

Playing fuck fuck tariff games with the Chinese just hurts US consumers.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 12:49:04 AM EDT
[#36]
Reiterating this for those who missed it: Tariffs work at reducing imports.

https://archive.ph/mSoKU

"Imports of Chinese goods that were subjected to the highest US tariffs, were 22% lower in mid-2022 vs 2018; imports of Chinese goods that were not subject to US tariffs during the trade war were up 50%." --> Increasing Tariffs is essential for Decoupling from China.

Link Posted: 6/21/2023 12:53:48 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
commie rino lost my vote...TRUMP2024...
View Quote

LOL

Invest in a dictionary.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 12:54:29 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

"Imports of Chinese goods that were subjected to the highest US tariffs, were 22% lower in mid-2022 vs 2018; imports of Chinese goods that were not subject to US tariffs during the trade war were up 50%." --> Increasing Tariffs is essential for Decoupling from China.

View Quote
The libertarians are more interested in arguing theory, even though it's been practically disproven.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 1:01:00 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
The libertarians are more interested in arguing theory, even though it's been practically disproven.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL  If you raise taxes on something then less of that something is purchased. Go on...
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 1:26:32 AM EDT
[#40]

Very few of my posts are about political candidates. Every single one of yours seems to be about Trump or DeSantis. Who is the cultist?
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 1:36:22 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 1:51:45 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote

They release a lab created virus in retaliation
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 3:17:59 AM EDT
[#43]
Free trade lolberts and environmentalists have allowed China to have the same hold on us that we did with the Japanese prior to WW2.

I’m going to laugh my ass off if and when Xi pulls that rare earth embargo trigger.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 4:03:59 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

It’s encouraged by American foreign policy.

Its the result of having a bunch of pampered baby boomers that care only about price. Human toll be damned. Doesn’t matter if it’s made by kids as long as their shits cheap.

And then they make jokes about quality, because the products they buy are literally made by slaves and small children.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
They just pass the cost to is so wtf good does it do lol

Imagine trying to compete in manufacturing with someone who has zero labor cost, and zero of the regulation. I bet they dont have OSHA fining them because a door opens the wrong way.

It’s encouraged by American foreign policy.

Its the result of having a bunch of pampered baby boomers that care only about price. Human toll be damned. Doesn’t matter if it’s made by kids as long as their shits cheap.

And then they make jokes about quality, because the products they buy are literally made by slaves and small children.

Western society and its economy is a model that isn’t sustainable.

I saw a place giving out ‘free helmets’ to low income families/kids a few weeks ago at a farmers market.  The boxes of helmets all said made in china.  Curious if the kids who made the helmets were younger than the recipients.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 4:04:00 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Free trade lolberts and environmentalists have allowed China to have the same hold on us that we did with the Japanese prior to WW2.

I’m going to laugh my ass off if and when Xi pulls that rare earth embargo trigger.
View Quote

We lolberts are all for the domestic policies foisted on US based manufacturing like higher corporate taxes, NIMBY shit and BS regulations.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 4:42:33 AM EDT
[#46]
Yes! I love more government control and economic micromanagement! It’s always so effective. If it ends up costing me more $$ in the end, even better!

And those tariffs will go to fund our wonderful bureaucracy. It’s a win-win!

So conservative, much winning
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 6:52:31 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 6:53:58 AM EDT
[#48]
That’s because he is a uniparty globalist who can’t put America first.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 6:56:14 AM EDT
[#49]
Tariffs level the playing field for the American worker and the small business owner
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 6:58:03 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Tariffs level the playing field for the American worker and the small business owner
View Quote

Why not lower domestic taxes to “level the playing field” comrade?

Suppose you think affirmative action levels the playing field for college admissions?
Page / 11
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top