Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 35
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 9:28:09 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
How come this cartridge never became more popular (well maybe until now)?
View Quote
I can think of a couple reasons for the consumer market, one being the constant talk of banning the 5.7x28.

For the commercial/mil/leo market, FN did it right and there really isn’t much to improve on the Five-Seven.
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 9:30:27 AM EDT
[#2]
I beat this horse all the time, but someone making a sub $1000 handgun in 7.5 FK BRNO and some ammo that was not a buck a shot would sell the hell out of them.

The ballistics are phenomenal...90 grain all copper JHP moving out of a pistol at over 2000 fps...and maintaining energy out to 200 meters?

It would laugh at the 5.7 from start to finish.
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 9:32:23 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 9:32:51 AM EDT
[#4]
Not interested in the pistol version.

The Ruger PCC is too big for the caliber (if that’s the plan) given the size of other guns in 5.7.

Ruger should make it for the braced Charger.
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 9:32:55 AM EDT
[#5]
I’ll be buying one.
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 9:33:16 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 9:36:39 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I can think of a couple reasons for the consumer market, one being the constant talk of banning the 5.7x28.

For the commercial/mil/leo market, FN did it right and there really isn’t much to improve on the Five-Seven.
View Quote
Ballistically is it too close to other popular ammo and some thought it is "redundant"?

The FN 5.7 is probably a great gun but at over $1K I would imagine that kept it fairly unpopular with the masses.  Coupled with the high cost of ammo.

I am just surprised it took all these years for a large manufacturer to maybe make a more affordable version.
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 9:36:43 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
That's not a photoshop, that's a legit photo. Could it be faked? Sure. If it were, it would be an absolute masterpiece work of art.

No, that's legit...the question is why, and why now? 5.7 hasn't been a cool kid caliber in a decade. Ruger isn't usually this out of touch.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Photoshop, right?

ETA: I’d be interested in one.
That's not a photoshop, that's a legit photo. Could it be faked? Sure. If it were, it would be an absolute masterpiece work of art.

No, that's legit...the question is why, and why now? 5.7 hasn't been a cool kid caliber in a decade. Ruger isn't usually this out of touch.
Part of that picture is photoshopped, because there isn't anyway the rounds pictured are fitting in a magazine that fits in the pistol.
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 9:37:21 AM EDT
[#9]
@armoredman

The more I skim thru the "interwebs", the more the reloading problems seem to revolve around poor practices and fear set up by FN reps who like all gunmakers, discourage reloading.

There does seem to be some debate as to the actual purpose of the case coating, that is, whether it is for "storage" or to facilitate extraction.  Maybe both?

Also, allusions to the shoulder angle being too sharp for reloading appears to be bunk, too, as it is listed on CIP as 35 degrees while other cartridges have shoulder angles of 40, etc.  There's not a lot of taper on the case so that could come into play to make it a bit "sticky" at max loads.  And maybe factory/GI ammo is run hot?  Which indicates a handloader could back off a bit, get good performing, safe loads even if not turning in absolute max velocities.

Anyway, I would be interested to read a really knowledgeable handloaders full report on reloading the thing.  I guess I just don't see what the big mystery is all about.  I've handloaded since the '70's and have done case forming, etc and this thing just doesn't look like it should be voodoo to handload.
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 9:37:36 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 9:39:44 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I shot the 7.5 FK BRNO at SHOT Show Media Day at the Range. The gun jammed. After the second shot.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I beat this horse all the time, but someone making a sub $1000 handgun in 7.5 FK BRNO and some ammo that was not a buck a shot would sell the hell out of them.

The ballistics are phenomenal...90 grain all copper JHP moving out of a pistol at over 2000 fps...and maintaining energy out to 200 meters?

I shot the 7.5 FK BRNO at SHOT Show Media Day at the Range. The gun jammed. After the second shot.
It's funny you say that.

I saw a report when the thing was intro'd and I thought:

"It's a CZ...lets wait and see how it ACTUALLY plays out..."

Link Posted: 12/29/2019 9:42:36 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote
Don't they cost thousands of dollars?
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 9:44:45 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
.22 Mag performance at three times the price no thank you.
View Quote
Out of a FN 4.8" pistol barrel: MV of approximately 1560 fps and ME of 216 ft. lbs. for the 5.7x28mm 40 grain

22 WMR out of a 6.5" barrel: Fired from a 6.5" pistol barrel the 40 grain loads register 1480 fps MV and 195 ft. lbs.

I couldn't find data for an equivalent barrel length
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 9:47:35 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 9:48:20 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I would absolutely buy one.

The most exciting thing to me though is that Im guessing Ruger would be releasing this as a companion handgun to some sort of rifle like FN did. Perhaps a version of their PC carbine.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/321106/A52CDCDA-0E67-4BE8-90CD-DE1DE5CFC823_jpeg-1212296.JPG
View Quote
Besides the MPR rifle they would be the only two Rugers I would be interested.
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 9:51:06 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Out of a FN 4.8" pistol barrel: MV of approximately 1560 fps and ME of 216 ft. lbs. for the 5.7x28mm 40 grain

22 WMR out of a 6.5" barrel: Fired from a 6.5" pistol barrel the 40 grain loads register 1480 fps MV and 195 ft. lbs.

I couldn't find data for an equivalent barrel length
View Quote
Interesting......I would have thought it to be more powerful.
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 9:51:23 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Something like $3k-$7k.

Fucking worthless in my opinion. I enjoy high priced guns and have no problem getting my hands on a $30k S/S Shotgun. But the gun works. The 7.5 FK jammed. The company rep had to hit the back of the slide to get it into battery. The recoil was okay, about the same as a six inch L-Frame S&W or Ruger GP100.
View Quote
Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 9:55:23 AM EDT
[#18]
Depending on price I want one.  The FN 57 has never been affordable.
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 9:57:58 AM EDT
[#19]
I am really surprised that the ballistics show it is only a bit more powerful than the .22 magnum.
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 9:58:29 AM EDT
[#20]
I think it will do well if it sells at $500 or less. That would put MSRP at around $600-$650.
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 9:58:46 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote
We already have that.  It's called 9x25 Dillon.

http://www.doubletapammo.net/index.php?route=product/product&path=303_372&product_id=71

https://www.underwoodammo.com/collections/handgun-ammo/products/9x25mm-dillon-90-grain-xtreme-defender?variant=18785701691449

I was interested in the FK too until I did the math and realized my G20 with a $160 drop in barrel duplicates it.
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 9:58:50 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I used to think that way, but guess what?  Old Ten Round Bill took a dirt nap and those that run the company even make AR15's for civilian sales.  I about shit myself the first time I saw a Ruger BX-25 magazine. Then I bought my first 10-22.
View Quote
Yes, I'm well aware asshole Bill is dead. But *I* refuse to give Ruger ANY of my hard earned money. He sold gunowners out in order to appease the gun grabbers & he also REFUSED to sell Mini mags to civilians. He was a first class ASSHOLE to gun owners.

Nor has a single person in the current management staff apologized nor even bothered to say what he did was wrong. Not one.
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 10:00:20 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Something like $3k-$7k.

Fucking worthless in my opinion. I enjoy high priced guns and have no problem getting my hands on a $30k S/S Shotgun. But the gun works. The 7.5 FK jammed. The company rep had to hit the back of the slide to get it into battery. The recoil was okay, about the same as a six inch L-Frame S&W or Ruger GP100.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Don't they cost thousands of dollars?
Something like $3k-$7k.

I will say the concept is sound, tho I laughed out loud the first time I read an article about the thing.

I carry a pistol a lot in the field, ski treks and whatnot and use them on varmints, small game, snared coyotes and killing butcher stock and for 99.9 % of the uses I have a .22-.30 cal light bullet at high velocity would be awesome, especially in a high cap capable gun like the FN57.  But I baulked at the price of a FN so I cannot even imagine spending anything like what CZ wants for their thing.

Years ago I carried Tokarevs and a CZ52 on my ski treks and the round is really excellent but the guns are just plain obsolete. I do wish somebody would release a modern pistol in that caliber, too, tho I'm betting I'll finish my days with my 9mm P320.
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 10:05:16 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
How come this cartridge never became more popular (well maybe until now)?
View Quote
Cost.

It was $1 per rd when it first came out. Now it's roughly 50 cents a rd. That's expensive for a semi handgun rd, IMO.
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 10:06:38 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
If it retails for under $500 I might pick one up since I already stock the ammo.
View Quote
This! Haters gonna hate.
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 10:07:27 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Yes, I'm well aware asshole Bill is dead. But *I* refuse to give Ruger ANY of my hard earned money. He sold gunowners out in order to appease the gun grabbers & he also REFUSED to sell Mini mags to civilians. He was a first class ASSHOLE to gun owners.

Nor has a single person in the current management staff apologized nor even bothered to say what he did was wrong. Not one.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I used to think that way, but guess what?  Old Ten Round Bill took a dirt nap and those that run the company even make AR15's for civilian sales.  I about shit myself the first time I saw a Ruger BX-25 magazine. Then I bought my first 10-22.

It's a a completely different company.  You expect the current management to shit all over their company name?
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 10:08:08 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
There's already conversion barrels (and spring) to shoot 7.62 Tok in 1911s (uses .38Super mags, but the rounds are just a little long).  There are also AR's that have been built for 7.62 Tok.

I've got two AR uppers in 7.62 Tok (with mag well adapter for CZ24 mags), a CZ52, and one of the conversion kits for the 1911 (haven't gotten around to buying a 1911 to put it in, yet).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would love a doublestack 7.62 tokarev - but trying to revitalize a cartridge that hasn't had a new gun designed for it in half a century doesn't seem like something the accounting department would sign off on. The 5.7 is popular enough people actually shell out 1k and sometimes more to get one, while most in this thread probably don't even own a Tokarev, despite it being extremely cheap.  
Since the 5.7 and Tokarev both require longer than normal frames, it's possible that a conversion kit might come available.
There's already conversion barrels (and spring) to shoot 7.62 Tok in 1911s (uses .38Super mags, but the rounds are just a little long).  There are also AR's that have been built for 7.62 Tok.

I've got two AR uppers in 7.62 Tok (with mag well adapter for CZ24 mags), a CZ52, and one of the conversion kits for the 1911 (haven't gotten around to buying a 1911 to put it in, yet).
Some MP5 clones were built for 7.25Tok
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 10:08:53 AM EDT
[#28]
I think I will buy one
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 10:13:06 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Glock 40 in 7.5 FK would be the bee's knees, as would an AR pistol in this caliber as a PDW.
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 10:14:58 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Cost.

It was $1 per rd when it first came out. Now it's roughly 50 cents a rd. That's expensive for a semi handgun rd, IMO.
View Quote
Did you see the ballistics posted above where it is only marginally more powerful than the .22 magnum?

That really surprised me...….it ain't worth the increased cost if that is all it does improvement wise IMHO.
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 10:18:39 AM EDT
[#31]
 Anyway, I would be interested to read a really knowledgeable handloaders full report on reloading the thing. I guess I just don't see what the big mystery is all about. I've handloaded since the '70's and have done case forming, etc and this thing just doesn't look like it should be voodoo to handload.  
View Quote
I have successfully handloaded for the 5.7, and while you do have to pay close attention, (just like all other calibers), it is not rocket surgery.

If you can't load 5.7, maybe you shouldn't hand load at all.

The only tricky thing is the lacquer coating.  That is a concern in the PS90, as well worn cases don't always navigate through the magazine successfully.  In the pistol, it is not a problem.

I never tried to hot rod it, however.  I suspect this is where its reputation for being difficult comes from.
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 10:20:54 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
@armoredman

The more I skim thru the "interwebs", the more the reloading problems seem to revolve around poor practices and fear set up by FN reps who like all gunmakers, discourage reloading.

There does seem to be some debate as to the actual purpose of the case coating, that is, whether it is for "storage" or to facilitate extraction.  Maybe both?

Also, allusions to the shoulder angle being too sharp for reloading appears to be bunk, too, as it is listed on CIP as 35 degrees while other cartridges have shoulder angles of 40, etc.  There's not a lot of taper on the case so that could come into play to make it a bit "sticky" at max loads.  And maybe factory/GI ammo is run hot?  Which indicates a handloader could back off a bit, get good performing, safe loads even if not turning in absolute max velocities.

Anyway, I would be interested to read a really knowledgeable handloaders full report on reloading the thing.  I guess I just don't see what the big mystery is all about.  I've handloaded since the '70's and have done case forming, etc and this thing just doesn't look like it should be voodoo to handload.
View Quote
5.7 is fairly miserable to reload in quantity.

The brass is fragile. Very fragile. The 57 pistol is a LOT gentler than the PS90, but the PS90 absolutely mangles the brass. The shoulder requires a (relatively) enormous resizing process to get it back in spec. After the second reloading my cartridges in relatively warm loads in a PS90 come out damn near straightwall.

Trim length is fairly critical to good function. Thin brass, (relatively) high pressures, and a hefty resizing operation means trimming is fairly critical because its going to stretch a good deal.

The vast majority of the brass has primer crimps. This isn't that big of a deal but the size of the case and the lack of reasonably priced progressive loading options means you have to remove the crimps individually- I can't just toss it in my 1050.

Cases are relatively easy to crush if you aren't careful. I use an M die, chamfer the case mouths, and then use a die with a sliding sleeve to avoid this.

I've personally found that some dies are incapable of setting the shoulder back correctly. Or rather, a combination of dies and shellholders. I am completely incapable of setting the proper length with hornady dies and lee or hornady shellholders. With a redding shellholder I am able to set it. I i bought one of the cutaway Sheridan gauges and it was helpful. I also have an Elite Ammunition gauge and it is too tight. It just shows that manufacturers aren't in perfect agreement about the 5.7.

The hubbub about it being super intolerant of powder charge and it's going to blow up if you go 0.1 over is dumb so don't worry about that so much, as long as the loads are reasonable.

I don't know if the fuss about the lube on the cases is important or not. There is a lot of fuddlore as to what purpose it serves. Some same it is needed for ps90 extraction, some say for ps90 magazines to be reliable. The pistol is considerably more tolerant. I've only gotten 4 loadings out of a piece of brass before I was so suspicious of it I tossed it, and I never bothered to try and clean it. Those who do use simple green and an ultrasonic.

The 5.7 is safe to reload... it's just a gigantic pain in the ass for the sort of gun you're going to be pumping tons of rounds through.
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 10:31:05 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I am really surprised that the ballistics show it is only a bit more powerful than the .22 magnum.
View Quote
The Five Seven can push a 40gr over 2,000 FPS. The velocity out of a similar length barrel would be the PMR30.

Kel-Tec PMR 4.3" barrel
Calibers: .22 Magnum (.22WMR)
Energy (40gr): 138ft-lbs 187J (1250 - 1300fps)

FiveseveN Pistol 4.75 inch barrel
40gr EA Protector 2,092fps-389 ft LBS
28gr EA Trident T6 2,570fps-411 fl LBS
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 10:32:17 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Did you see the ballistics posted above where it is only marginally more powerful than the .22 magnum?

That really surprised me...….it ain't worth the increased cost if that is all it does improvement wise IMHO.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cost.

Anyone can cherry pick data to fit their argument with enough info available.  If you really based your entire decision on that guys post, there is probably no talking ballistics to you anyway.

Side by side, real world...

Re-Edited: 22 magnum vs 5.7, just as good ?
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 10:33:42 AM EDT
[#35]
View Quote
Maybe they have downloaded it, but when I first got a 5.7, the 40 grain load was good for >1700 FPS on a mild spring day.

Call it 257 foot-lbs.

I haven't chronographed .22 magnum out of any reasonable length barrels, (In NAA mini-revolvers the magnum hits 940 FPS compared to the long rifle hitting 800 FPS, though its barrel was slightly shorter).

Of course kinetic energy is not a good comparison, but with the same caliber and bullet weight it comes close.  Bullet construction will significantly contribute to performance.

For its intended purpose, the 5.7 outclasses the .22 Magnum.  Add in reliability considerations, and I know which one I would choose.
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 10:38:47 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

The Five Seven can push a 40gr over 2,000 FPS. The velocity out of a similar length barrel would be the PMR30.

Kel-Tec PMR 4.3" barrel

View Quote
Thanks...…..you have to read the link below.  Here is a quote:

Published reports indicate that as factory loaded the 5.7x28mm drives a 32 grain bullet, load #SS190-AP (armor piercing), at a muzzle velocity (MV) of 2350 fps with 390 ft. lbs. of muzzle energy (ME). The 28 grain spitzer bullet, load #SS195LF-JHP, has a muzzle velocity of 2350 fps and muzzle energy of 290 ft. lbs. The 40 grain Hornady V-Max bullet, load #SS197SR, claims a muzzle velocity of 1950 fps with 340 ft. lbs. of muzzle energy. Readers old enough to remember the obsolete .22 Remington Jet small game and varmint cartridge of 1960--40 grain bullet at about 2000 fps from a S&W Model 53 revolver--will be startled to hear that the slightly less powerful 5.7x28mm is a "cop-killer" round.
It is important to remember that the 5.7x28mm velocity and energy figures were derived from a 10.35 inch (sub-machinegun length) test barrel and that the Five-seveN pistol barrel actually measures 4.82 inches in length. Realistically, we can anticipate a substantial velocity loss of about 20% when the 5.7x28mm cartridge is fired from a pistol. This would mean an actual MV of approximately 1560 fps and ME of 216 ft. lbs. for the 5.7x28mm 40 grain bullet when fired from a handgun. Because it starts a heavier bullet at lower velocity, which maximizes energy and minimizes velocity loss, this should be the most effective load for a 5.7x28mm pistol.
A comparison of the performance of the .22 Winchester Magnum Rimfire (WMR), introduced in 1959, and the 5.7x28mm is interesting. The .22 WMR shares the same bullet diameter (.224") as the 5.7x28mm cartridge and their muzzle and energy figures are actually rather similar.

Link
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 10:39:01 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Holy shit if they made that in their PCC. The PC57.
View Quote
Right
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 10:40:07 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Anyone can cherry pick data to fit their argument with enough info available.  If you really based your entire decision on that guys post, there is probably no talking ballistics to you anyway.

Side by side, real world...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfTfm7EA6TA
View Quote
I have not decided one way or the other...…..I am trying to learn.

The info seems to be all over the place and this is WHY I am asking you guys for god's sake.

Thanks for the video.
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 10:45:36 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Published reports indicate that as factory loaded the 5.7x28mm drives a 32 grain bullet, load #SS190-AP (armor piercing), at a muzzle velocity (MV) of 2350 fps with 390 ft. lbs. of muzzle energy (ME). The 28 grain spitzer bullet, load #SS195LF-JHP, has a muzzle velocity of 2350 fps and muzzle energy of 290 ft. lbs. The 40 grain Hornady V-Max bullet, load #SS197SR, claims a muzzle velocity of 1950 fps with 340 ft. lbs. of muzzle energy. Readers old enough to remember the obsolete .22 Remington Jet small game and varmint cartridge of 1960--40 grain bullet at about 2000 fps from a S&W Model 53 revolver--will be startled to hear that the slightly less powerful 5.7x28mm is a "cop-killer" round.
It is important to remember that the 5.7x28mm velocity and energy figures were derived from a 10.35 inch (sub-machinegun length) test barrel and that the Five-seveN pistol barrel actually measures 4.82 inches in length. Realistically, we can anticipate a substantial velocity loss of about 20% when the 5.7x28mm cartridge is fired from a pistol. This would mean an actual MV of approximately 1560 fps and ME of 216 ft. lbs. for the 5.7x28mm 40 grain bullet when fired from a handgun. Because it starts a heavier bullet at lower velocity, which maximizes energy and minimizes velocity loss, this should be the most effective load for a 5.7x28mm pistol.
A comparison of the performance of the .22 Winchester Magnum Rimfire (WMR), introduced in 1959, and the 5.7x28mm is interesting. The .22 WMR shares the same bullet diameter (.224") as the 5.7x28mm cartridge and their muzzle and energy figures are actually rather similar.

Link
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Kel-Tec PMR 4.3" barrel

Link
"assume"
"presume"
"might"
"probably"

Fucking LOL.  You need to practice where to and where NOT to get info from.
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 10:49:31 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Link
View Quote
That’s great and all but I’m giving you numbers actually measured from a five seven pistol. The point I was making is on average from similar barrel lengths and the same projective weight. The FN Five Seven can see 40-50% more velocity. (Over a 22 Magnum)

Also the very underwhelming factory loaded SS197 40gr he is referring to usually chronos around 1650-1700 out of the Five Seven not 1560 which he guesses.

Get some real ammo made by EA and you are over 2,000 FPS.

Additionally, what’s more reliable a rimfire or centerfire cartridge?
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 10:52:44 AM EDT
[#41]
Why not make something like a braced HK MP7 but chambered in 5.7 and with a binary trigger from the factory hnnng
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 10:54:39 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

"assume"
"presume"
"might"
"probably"

Fucking LOL.  You need to practice where to and where NOT to get info from.
View Quote
I saw that video and it does show 5.7 has a lot more power.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 10:55:03 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

The brass is fragile. Very fragile. The 57 pistol is a LOT gentler than the PS90, but the PS90 absolutely mangles the brass. The shoulder requires a (relatively) enormous resizing process to get it back in spec. After the second reloading my cartridges in relatively warm loads in a PS90 come out damn near straightwall.

Trim length is fairly critical to good function. Thin brass, (relatively) high pressures, and a hefty resizing operation means trimming is fairly critical because its going to stretch a good deal.

The vast majority of the brass has primer crimps. This isn't that big of a deal but the size of the case and the lack of reasonably priced progressive loading options means you have to remove the crimps individually- I can't just toss it in my 1050.

Cases are relatively easy to crush if you aren't careful. I use an M die, chamfer the case mouths, and then use a die with a sliding sleeve to avoid this.

I've personally found that some dies are incapable of setting the shoulder back correctly. Or rather, a combination of dies and shellholders. I am completely incapable of setting the proper length with hornady dies and lee or hornady shellholders. With a redding shellholder I am able to set it. I i bought one of the cutaway Sheridan gauges and it was helpful. I also have an Elite Ammunition gauge and it is too tight. It just shows that manufacturers aren't in perfect agreement about the 5.7.

The hubbub about it being super intolerant of powder charge and it's going to blow up if you go 0.1 over is dumb so don't worry about that so much, as long as the loads are reasonable.

I don't know if the fuss about the lube on the cases is important or not. There is a lot of fuddlore as to what purpose it serves. Some same it is needed for ps90 extraction, some say for ps90 magazines to be reliable. The pistol is considerably more tolerant. I've only gotten 4 loadings out of a piece of brass before I was so suspicious of it I tossed it, and I never bothered to try and clean it. Those who do use simple green and an ultrasonic.

The 5.7 is safe to reload... it's just a gigantic pain in the ass for the sort of gun you're going to be pumping tons of rounds through.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
@armoredman

@Redarts

THANKS for that.  That is the single best and most sensible assessment of the cartridge for reloading I've read.

Makes total sense.  Thanks!
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 10:55:11 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

That’s great and all but I’m giving you numbers actually measured from a five seven pistol. The point I was making is on average from similar barrel lengths and the same projective weight. The FN Five Seven can see 40-50% more velocity. (Over a 22 Magnum)

Also the very underwhelming factory loaded SS197 40gr he is referring to usually chronos around 1650-1700 out of the Five Seven not 1560 which he guesses.

Get some real ammo made by EA and you are over 2,000 FPS.

Additionally, what’s more reliable a rimfire or centerfire cartridge?
View Quote
Thanks guys.
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 11:01:01 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Part of that picture is photoshopped, because there isn't anyway the rounds pictured are fitting in a magazine that fits in the pistol.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Photoshop, right?

ETA: I’d be interested in one.

The rounds aren't going to sit directly parallel with the bore. I guarantee they have some upward tilt, which reduces the front-to-back mag dimension.

It's just not Photoshopped. Too much unique detail, using Ruger design cues, in forms that are unique. If it were fake it would be wildly superior to any gun industry prank I've ever seen. That level of work would be a professional job by a Hollywood firm to make a mockup, or some really hot shit chan action.
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 11:01:05 AM EDT
[#46]
So it's a larger Security 9 in 5.7. If it's cheap enough I'll buy one once the model with no manual safety comes out.
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 11:09:32 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 11:15:37 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Holy shit if they made that in their PCC. The PC57.
View Quote
My body is ready
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 11:19:21 AM EDT
[#49]
last spring the guys over at DSA were working on a pistol chambered in 5.7,im thinking they got the design up and running and sold it to ruger.at the time,they had the gun mostly completed but were having trouble with magazine design.at least thats how i remember the conversation.
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 11:20:29 AM EDT
[#50]
Day one buy for me. Finally a cheap alternative to the five-seven to play around with the round, without spending too much just to play around with the round. I don't understand the hatred here. Something like this could kick start the ammo market resulting in cheaper and better performing ammo. Right now it's a niche market, sure, but I guarantee you Ruger's about to snatch FN's wig as far as market share goes.
Page / 35
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top