Link Posted: 6/2/2020 9:27:25 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I contacted Calyx and this was what I was told:

Each membership includes a hotspot. We currently offer the CoolPad Surf
or the Mifi 8000 as our hotspot options. You can learn more about these
devices here: https://calyxinstitute.org/membership/devices

It seems to me that the Mifi is more capable so why would anyone choose the Coolpad?

Thanks
View Quote

$100.00 a year? Just guessing.
Link Posted: 6/2/2020 11:10:37 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm finally done with OTR.. the service just isn't reliable. And their chat is always 100 people deep

I'm thinking of doing the 'contributor' level with Calyx. I'm assuming the MIFI 8000 will connect to my router and take an external antenna? IF the 8000 can do those things I see no reason to go with the more expensive option.

Nevermind, I see the contributor PLUS is the plan with the 8000 hot spot. Hopefully i can pass through connect to my router.

Link Posted: 6/2/2020 12:01:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

$100.00 a year? Just guessing.
View Quote

You are correct.  

I had written them and asked several questions and part of the response was the 2 options but the reply didn't include pricing and I hadn't drilled down to pricing when I had asked my questions.

thanks
Link Posted: 6/2/2020 2:14:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Kind of spotty service the past few days.

Still with OTR and using T-Mobile. It's just lost broadband connection sporadically for half an hour to an hour a handful of times.

I wonder if it has to do with the riots and looting. Stolen phones and all - perhaps they're digging through IMEIs?
Link Posted: 6/2/2020 2:24:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I'm finally done with OTR.. the service just isn't reliable. And their chat is always 100 people deep

I'm thinking of doing the 'contributor' level with Calyx. I'm assuming the MIFI 8000 will connect to my router and take an external antenna? IF the 8000 can do those things I see no reason to go with the more expensive option.

Nevermind, I see the contributor PLUS is the plan with the 8000 hot spot. Hopefully i can pass through connect to my router.

View Quote

I was able to bridge the earlier version of the cool pad or what ever the cheaper version was to a router via wireless, the 8000 for sure will.  If you get a good Sprint signal, it's the best thing out there for sure.
Link Posted: 6/2/2020 9:14:05 PM EDT
[#6]
For you guys that have the Netgear Nighthawk.

Do you leave the battery installed and have it permanently plugged in to charge?

My router won’t power on without the battery in it.

Any help is appreciated
Link Posted: 6/2/2020 9:16:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Do you leave the battery installed and have it permanently plugged in to charge?

Any help is appreciated
View Quote

I believe you’ll need a higher amp charger but that is the recommended mode.
Link Posted: 6/2/2020 10:58:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Any help is appreciated
View Quote

I have two m1 nighthawks. I don’t run the battery in either of them. Just using the chargers/power supply  they came with.
Link Posted: 6/3/2020 1:27:38 PM EDT
[#9]
OTR just lost my business. Here's what I was told - after wasting my time waiting in the live chat line for three hours.

I do apologize for the inconvenience we are currently still working with the carrier to resolve this issue. Our technicians are working to get all devices up and running on the network. As of right now we do not have a timeframe however, we will release a statement on our Facebook when the issue is resolved. We appriciate your patience!
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/3/2020 1:27:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Mine will not power on without the battery installed
Link Posted: 6/3/2020 5:19:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
OTR just lost my business. Here's what I was told - after wasting my time waiting in the live chat line for three hours.

View Quote

Typical.  I'm ready to switch.  What's a reliable option?  I looked at neverthrottled.  That looks promising, but more expensive.  Cheaper in the long run if I don't have outages and can get support in less than 3 hours of waiting.
Link Posted: 6/4/2020 12:35:21 PM EDT
[#12]
What does the hive think about at&t fixed wireless? Good to go?
Link Posted: 6/4/2020 2:06:41 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote
Their chat is down and the phone service is an automated message directing me to the chat
Link Posted: 6/4/2020 2:50:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Their chat is down and the phone service is an automated message directing me to the chat
View Quote

That was the sole reason why I dropped them. F*** OTR.

Thats what needs to be spray painted in the streets.
Link Posted: 6/5/2020 1:29:28 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm starting to suspect that they wouldn't care. They may well be closing up shop at this rate!
Link Posted: 6/5/2020 2:27:36 PM EDT
[#16]
Still a happy customer here. Seamless transition to TMobile. SIM card was shipped real early. No unlocking of my modem needed.  Plug and play with the new SIM and I was back online after the reboot.   Heck, I didn't even know we had T-mobile service in my very rural county so I was pleasantly surprised to see it with better speeds than AT&T. This month my bill did go up to $70 though.

CHRIS

Link Posted: 6/5/2020 4:36:39 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Still a happy customer here. Seamless transition to TMobile. SIM card was shipped real early. No unlocking of my modem needed.  Plug and play with the new SIM and I was back online after the reboot.   Heck, I didn't even know we had T-mobile service in my very rural county so I was pleasantly surprised to see it with better speeds than AT&T. This month my bill did go up to $70 though.

CHRIS

View Quote

I’ve had my ups and downs with them but it all seems to have stabilized now. Also with T-mobile and a happy customer.
Link Posted: 6/5/2020 4:39:53 PM EDT
[#18]
Same, despite my trepidation and early issue with throttled video. I believe tmobile either upgraded something or OTR did a month or so after the swap, as now I get around 40mbps whereas before I was in the 13-20 range. I have no complaints... at present.
Link Posted: 6/5/2020 4:44:42 PM EDT
[#19]
Those who are happy with OTR/T-Mobile: what model modem are you using? Where did you get the SIM card: directly from OTR or from T-Mobile or elsewhere?

Perhaps there's some commonality we're missing.
Link Posted: 6/5/2020 4:48:18 PM EDT
[#20]
I am using a netgear 1120 with the cheapo netgear window antenna. I am using the OTR supplied sim. Normal signal strength is around -80db.
Link Posted: 6/5/2020 4:49:28 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Those who are happy with OTR/T-Mobile: what model modem are you using? Where did you get the SIM card: directly from OTR or from T-Mobile or elsewhere?

Perhaps there's some commonality we're missing.
View Quote

Netgear lb1120. My first sim from OTR shit the bed after a week. I bought 2 generic t mobile sims for $5ea and one of them is what I’m using.
Link Posted: 6/5/2020 5:15:21 PM EDT
[#22]
Well, the SIM idea is out the window then.

Perhaps it's the modem? I used a Netgear MR1100.
Link Posted: 6/5/2020 5:19:50 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Well, the SIM idea is out the window then.

Perhaps it's the modem? I used a Netgear MR1100.
View Quote

Nighthawks have been the problem child for sure. They need a static IP to work properly, and T mobile has problems with them on their network.

ETA the good news is if you have an unlocked nighthawk it’s worth about twice what a brand new lb1120, sell it and “downgrade” and you’ll likely be gtg.
Link Posted: 6/5/2020 6:12:14 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Nighthawks have been the problem child for sure. They need a static IP to work properly, and T mobile has problems with them on their network.

ETA the good news is if you have an unlocked nighthawk it’s worth about twice what a brand new lb1120, sell it and “downgrade” and you’ll likely be gtg.
View Quote

I think I'll just sell it.

Being that OTR sold me the modem - you would think that any of the dozen representatives I talked with over the past few months would have mentioned the modem as a potential problem!
Link Posted: 6/5/2020 10:44:43 PM EDT
[#25]
I'm on the MR1100 as well.  It was fine on ATT initially, then I was forced to 'pink blast' by OTR.  Worked for a while, then after a restart it wouldn't connect.  Back to ATT today.  Had to buy my own SIM as the OTR SIM hasn't shown up.

My issue is it crapped just before a trip where I needed a mobile hotspot.  Great timing.  It'll switch when I think I find better service/support.  I just can't justify 3 hours wait time for chat support that doesn't help but pushes you to a 'new plan'.
Link Posted: 6/5/2020 11:00:41 PM EDT
[#26]
I’m on otr T-Mobile and have decent mbps usually around 25 or so.  

My streaming quality is total garbage though, can’t get over 480p, they are throttling or something.  Anyone else?
Link Posted: 6/5/2020 11:04:02 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I’m on otr T-Mobile and have decent mbps usually around 25 or so.  

My streaming quality is total garbage though, can’t get over 480p, they are throttling or something.  Anyone else?
View Quote

T mobile puts you in “binge mode” by default which limits you to 480p. OTR can turn that off, they did for me and now I stream at 20mbps.
Link Posted: 6/5/2020 11:14:59 PM EDT
[#28]
Thanks to whomever posted the Mobley AT&T deal back a year or so ago.
I grabbed one, paid in full.
Ported the SIM to my Netgear modem, and have been running unlimited data for $20 a month since.
I typically use around 180GB a month, no throttling.

I should have grabbed two, I need one for a vehicle.
Link Posted: 6/6/2020 2:16:02 PM EDT
[#29]
I apologize for my language.

OTR can fucking shove an industrial sized bag of dicks up their collective ass.

I finally managed to get through - to tell them I'm not keeping the "service" - and the very same shit-for-brains representative as gave me the misspelled bullshit message I posted asked me to please reconsider.

And fixed the problem - which has been on their end the whole fucking time - in about sixty seconds.

They could have done this the entire fucking time. Instead I got a complete line of bullshit time and again. I was told that I must be doing something wrong. After all that I was told that there was a hardware issue and there was no ETA on fixing it.

Turns out that was all 100% bullshit pushed by incompetent lazy fucks.

Fuck OTR with a shit covered barbed wire wrapped baseball bat.
Link Posted: 6/7/2020 1:01:41 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 6/7/2020 1:05:43 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I went through the same bullshit as everyone else and was put on the “blue blast” plan. We don’t get a good t-mobile signal at my house so I waited on chat for three hours and bitched. I had just bought a second Nighthawk modem from them two months ago. They agreed to send out two new AT&T sim cards. One modem worked fine on the old card and the new modem didn’t. We kept the old modem on the old card, zero issues, very fast connection, why fuck with it if it ain’t broke. Today they caught up with it and shut it down.

So this morning I installed the new SIM card and it took right off, no connection issues, but holy shit is it throttled. I am running 3mbps down and 5mbps up. This isn’t going to work.

I have yet to get the second modem going, just haven’t had time to fuck with it yet so I have no idea how the new SIM card is in that unit.
View Quote

The “blue blast” plan is going to get throttled to hell, they don’t even claim it’s unlimited speed/data. They claim only higher than average data users (150gb/mo) will get throttled but lots of customer feedback says otherwise. Personally I am glad T-Mobile works for me and is fast, as fast as my old ATT plan was. I wouldn’t switch to “blue blast” even if it was offered.
Link Posted: 6/7/2020 4:41:03 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

The “blue blast” plan is going to get throttled to hell, they don’t even claim it’s unlimited speed/data. They claim only higher than average data users (150gb/mo) will get throttled but lots of customer feedback says otherwise. Personally I am glad T-Mobile works for me and is fast, as fast as my old ATT plan was. I wouldn’t switch to “blue blast” even if it was offered.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I went through the same bullshit as everyone else and was put on the “blue blast” plan. We don’t get a good t-mobile signal at my house so I waited on chat for three hours and bitched. I had just bought a second Nighthawk modem from them two months ago. They agreed to send out two new AT&T sim cards. One modem worked fine on the old card and the new modem didn’t. We kept the old modem on the old card, zero issues, very fast connection, why fuck with it if it ain’t broke. Today they caught up with it and shut it down.

So this morning I installed the new SIM card and it took right off, no connection issues, but holy shit is it throttled. I am running 3mbps down and 5mbps up. This isn’t going to work.

I have yet to get the second modem going, just haven’t had time to fuck with it yet so I have no idea how the new SIM card is in that unit.

I'm on the blue blast plan now as well. Current speeds below. I've already used 200GB in 2 weeks so far.

Eta: speedtest is while netflix is streaming.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/7/2020 7:24:09 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I'm on the blue blast plan now as well. Current speeds below. I've already used 200GB in 2 weeks so far.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/177685/SmartSelect_20200607-164015_Speedcheck_P-1451373.JPG
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/177685/SmartSelect_20200607-164015_Speedcheck_P-1451373.JPG

I’m just repeating what dozens of customers have said on the user page on FB, I don’t GAF personally because I have good speed with Tmo.
Link Posted: 6/8/2020 9:10:54 PM EDT
[#34]
Knock on wood, I've had no problems with OTR using AT&T....
Link Posted: 6/10/2020 12:38:28 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Knock on wood, I've had no problems with OTR using AT&T....
View Quote

It took about a month for it to jinx me when I said the same thing!
Link Posted: 6/10/2020 2:26:01 PM EDT
[#36]
Just to show just how terrible OTR is managed.

OTR sent me via fedex a new ATT sim card with instructions on how to activate it and switch to the blue plan.

This is after I officially canceled my service 3-4 weeks ago and have been using a different provider ever since.
Link Posted: 6/10/2020 2:45:05 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Just to show just how terrible OTR is managed.

OTR sent me via fedex a new ATT sim card with instructions on how to activate it and switch to the blue plan.

This is after I officially canceled my service 3-4 weeks ago and have been using a different provider ever since.
View Quote

They "sent" me replacement SIM cards a few times now. I've received none from them.

I won't be shocked if I eventually receive them - especially now that I've switched to another service.
Link Posted: 6/10/2020 2:45:57 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

Same.  My ATT just gave up the ghost this week.  
Link Posted: 6/10/2020 6:09:40 PM EDT
[#39]
Following this thread.
Link Posted: 6/10/2020 9:49:47 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

It quit today.
Link Posted: 6/11/2020 8:24:39 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Thanks to whomever posted the Mobley AT&T deal back a year or so ago.
I grabbed one, paid in full.
Ported the SIM to my Netgear modem, and have been running unlimited data for $20 a month since.
I typically use around 180GB a month, no throttling.

I should have grabbed two, I need one for a vehicle.
View Quote

I'm thankful every day I  gambled the $300+ dollars (at the time no one knew whether they would stay working in a hotspot or cellular modem) and got my Mobleys. I did get two as they listed possible throttling at 22 gigs so that would given at least 44 gigs of high speed data (we were on a 10 gig sat internet plan at the time). As it turned out, as far as I know, we've never been throttled and the sims still work fine over three years later.

I posted the Mobley deal and bumped it at the time both in GD and the Urban Commandos forum.

Link Posted: 6/11/2020 8:38:11 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

It quit today.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It quit today.

Wow. It only took a day before your jinx ruined your service?

I can't tell if that means OTR is getting better or worse.
Link Posted: 6/11/2020 8:43:57 AM EDT
[#43]
Btw, 4G Antenna Shop just fucked every one,

They advertised and sold unlimited for years.

Two weeks ago the started throttling to 0.5mb if you go over 250gb, and then completely cut your service over 300gb.

Motherfuckers did it without warning, and I was stuck waiting a week for a new modem from a competitor.
Link Posted: 6/11/2020 9:07:19 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Two weeks ago the started throttling to 0.5mb if you go over 250gb, and then completely cut your service over 300gb.

Motherfuckers did it without warning, and I was stuck waiting a week for a new modem from a competitor.
View Quote

Glad I ditched them a year ago. They stopped selling “unlimited” a long time ago. I dumped them because of the shitty data limits and high price.
Link Posted: 6/11/2020 9:14:09 AM EDT
[#46]

I'm sure looking forward to trying Starlink. I'm right in the belt of open beta from what I can find. Montana gets to enjoy tech first for once.
Link Posted: 6/11/2020 9:19:09 AM EDT
[#47]
Starlink ground stations -

Link Posted: 6/11/2020 9:51:52 AM EDT
[#48]
Received a email today for no limit data to reup my service.

I paid $70 and they are trying to bill me $100 for the same plan but with the HD option.

I know I can get around the throttling of Hd video.

Question is has anyone implemented a VPN on LB1120? Or should that be done at the router level?
Link Posted: 6/11/2020 9:53:40 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Received a email today for no limit data to reup my service.

I paid $70 and they are trying to bill me $100 for the same plan but with the HD option.

I know I can get around the throttling of Hd video.

Question is has anyone implemented a VPN on LB1120? Or should that be done at the router level?
View Quote

VPN can be done on the device or router. I don’t recall if the 1120 even has the capability, it’s a pretty limited little modem.
Link Posted: 6/11/2020 9:57:58 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote

They did that to me about a year ago. The second I got to 50gb, I was deprioritized to 3G speeds. I had had them a bit over a year before that and had been happy with the service.
Page / 47
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top