BCM
User Panel

Page / 7
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 8:02:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

How so?

Sure PID is improved with modern optics, but POI shift is very real.

Let's say you pull the M4 tight into your shoulder, you line the ACOG up to the target....There is a huge chance you won't hit him if he is at 100M or beyond.

Because the KAC RAS will force pressure on the barrel and change the point of impact to something different from your ACOG.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You must be joking.

You just have to be.

How so?

Let's say you pull the M4 tight into your shoulder, you line the ACOG up to the target....There is a huge chance you won't hit him if he is at 100M or beyond.

Because the KAC RAS will force pressure on the barrel and change the point of impact to something different from your ACOG.

The POI shift from pulling an M4 to your shoulder with a VFG isn't going to be enough to make a difference at 100 meters. Maybe 1/2 MOA below POA, which isn't even going to be noticed with military ball ammo, nor will it mean the difference between a hit and a miss.

Trust me; you would have to be stronger than the Hulk and consciously trying to induce POI shift to cause enough to prevent you from getting COM hits.
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 8:02:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

How so?

View Quote

You are actually retarded
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 8:04:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View Quote

Dude, just stop.

Link Posted: 3/14/2017 8:05:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How so?

best post of this thread

and don't believe the article OP quoted
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 8:10:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 8:12:51 PM EDT
[#6]

Are you kidding?

This is the best entertainment I've had all week.
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 8:14:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

There are plenty of people with ACOGs on 10.5" MK18 Mod 0s that can make a 100 yd shot on a standard sillouhette, all day long.
View Quote

And twice on Sunday.
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 8:21:22 PM EDT
[#8]
I doubt Russia is issuing new ak12's to the regular army since they just spent a ton of money on ratnik upgrade kits for all the old 74's.  Doesn't make sense.  I think op is tarded.
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 8:31:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How so?

Seconded. Holy shit this is dumb.
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 8:35:01 PM EDT
[#10]

hacker n cock halp pls
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 8:36:09 PM EDT
[#11]
OP, when everyone here is in agreement, even the ones that argue to death about other things and cannot get along and agree on other things but even agree that you're full of it...then it is you.

In police work they call that a clue.
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 8:38:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
OP, when everyone here is in agreement, even the ones that argue to death about other things and cannot get along and agree on other things but even agree that you're full of it...then it is you.

In police work they call that a clue.
View Quote

I agree with you, and that scares me.
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 8:41:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I agree with you, and that scares me.
View Quote

QFT
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 8:51:55 PM EDT
[#14]
A new arfcom challenge, the 15 moa all day challenge.  Must use your sling and a barricade.

I think I could do 15 moa just by firing from my hip.
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 8:54:51 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
A new arfcom challenge, the 15 moa all day challenge.  Must use your sling and a barricade.

View Quote

lol
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 8:57:33 PM EDT
[#16]
from the article "about the possibility of adopting both rifles"

So maybe... but OP is freaking out.
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 8:59:21 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote
One handed or two?

Link Posted: 3/14/2017 8:59:40 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
OP's drunk at 10 in the morning.
View Quote

I haven't laughed this hard in a while.  Lol.  Op is convinced we will lose a war with a Russia or China because........wait for it........our M-4's don't have FF barrels
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 9:02:08 PM EDT
[#19]
This has to be a dream. This can't be real.
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 9:02:34 PM EDT
[#20]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i.imgur.com/uqk6JkX.jpg

I read that in a kill hats voice ROFL
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 9:03:22 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I doubt Russia is issuing new ak12's to the regular army since they just spent a ton of money on ratnik upgrade kits for all the old 74's.  Doesn't make sense.  I think op is tarded.
View Quote

Check a few posts up. Looks like that is the "new AK-12"  and the old one with a different receiver was cancelled. I can only assume that the "old AK-12" was still dated by modern day standards. No upper/lower receiver, still made from steel, looks like sights were mounted high, still had a fixed front sight. Functional, but probably cost the same as a more modern design. I can imagine the military looking at the "old AK-12", then looking at the SCAR or BREN, and knowing they could build better.

Short term = upgrade AK-74s with a better stock and mag release / safety, rails and optics.
Long term = build something more modern and modular which would probably be cheaper than a steel gun.

Or Russia just does not have the money to upgrade rifles so will continue using the AK-74 for decades and put the money into T-14s, Su-50s and the various other new heavy equipment programs they have going.
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 9:09:18 PM EDT
[#22]
that's the same website that the said the Russian Army was adopting the AK200..........

LOL
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 9:11:40 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
More importantly, are we going to see a large surplus of AK-47 and AK-74 parts kits.
View Quote
In 50 years....presuming rifle production mirrors tank and 5th gen fighter production.
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 9:18:12 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Free float barrels are incredibly important in this day and age, and we hamstring ourselves by employing the KAC RAS against any other modern military.
View Quote
Lol, yeah because modern soldiers will be much better with a 1 moa rifle vs 3 moa.
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 9:20:58 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Check a few posts up. Looks like that is the "new AK-12"  and the old one with a different receiver was cancelled. I can only assume that the "old AK-12" was still dated by modern day standards. No upper/lower receiver, still made from steel, looks like sights were mounted high, still had a fixed front sight. Functional, but probably cost the same as a more modern design. I can imagine the military looking at the "old AK-12", then looking at the SCAR or BREN, and knowing they could build better.

Short term = upgrade AK-74s with a better stock and mag release / safety, rails and optics.
Long term = build something more modern and modular which would probably be cheaper than a steel gun.

Or Russia just does not have the money to upgrade rifles so will continue using the AK-74 for decades and put the money into T-14s, Su-50s and the various other new heavy equipment programs they have going.
View Quote

I thought that for a second, too.  The "new" ak12 has a different rear sight base and top cover latching mechanism than the ratnik upgrade kits.  It's a completely different model (albeit very similar).  The ratnik upgrade kit simply bolts onto existing 74's.
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 9:22:06 PM EDT
[#26]
OP, you're way off. In the early M16s that were issued in Vietnam with the pencil barrels and 1/12 twist, if you make a hasty sling , good and tight, like you would on an M14 or Garand, you would see a shift of up to 10moa if the barrel was already hot, and 5-7moa if it wasn't. That is a lot, but that's why they did two things, made the barrel profile thicker, and started teaching not to use a tight of sling on the M16s.

The M4s are a different world. With a non free float, you will see 2moa shift on average when front loading a bipod, using a sling tightly, or resting the barrel on something instead of the hand guard or rail.

You're right that the free float rails with take that out, and anything helps. At 300 yards that M4, at it's worst, is an extra possible 6 inches off, and at 600 it's 12 inches off. A well respected poster here did a series of tests to measure this exact thing. Archived I'm sure, but the videos are out there.

Free floating is a good thing, but does the improvement vs cost justify it compared to other things the infantry needs?
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 9:26:11 PM EDT
[#27]
Also as a one off point, doesn't the red army have a metric fuckton of 74's? I recall them having a few times more rifles than personnel.
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 9:27:40 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
OP, you're way off. In the early M16s that were issued in Vietnam with the pencil barrels and 1/12 twist, if you make a hasty sling , good and tight, like you would on an M14 or Garand, you would see a shift of up to 10moa if the barrel was already hot, and 5-7moa if it wasn't. That is a lot, but that's why they did two things, made the barrel profile thicker, and started teaching not to use a tight of sling on the M16s.

The M4s are a different world. With a non free float, you will see 2moa shift on average when front loading a bipod, using a sling tightly, or resting the barrel on something instead of the hand guard or rail.

You're right that the free float rails with take that out, and anything helps. At 300 yards that M4, at it's worst, is an extra possible 6 inches off, and at 600 it's 12 inches off. A well respected poster here did a series of tests to measure this exact thing. Archived I'm sure, but the videos are out there.

Free floating is a good thing, but does the improvement vs cost justify it compared to other things the infantry needs?
View Quote

I would be interested in seeing that video.

Is there any link? My search function is limited.
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 9:57:29 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_12/295633_FREE-FLOAT-VERSUS-NON-FREE-FLOAT.html

Also, going back and reading that thread you keep referencing I'm pretty sure he made a typo and it was supposed to be 1.5 MOA not 15 MOA. As someone who has many of both FF and non-FF ARs 15 MOA is ridiculous. Thats over a foot POI shift at 100 yards!
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 10:03:57 PM EDT
[#30]
They still look like antiques
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 10:07:01 PM EDT
[#31]
OP, have you ever shot a gun before? Serious question.

A friend had me help trouble shoot an AR he built, as he said it was shifting POI. It was shifting about 6-8 MOA at 100 yards. This was due to his barrel not being tightened completely.

The claim that you are making is absolutely absurd, and it hurts that you cannot see you are wrong, and that you keep parroting bad information.

I work in the retail firearms business. I hear some amazingly stupid things every single day, but I honestly think that you are now in the running for dumbest firearms related thing I have heard all year.
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 10:08:38 PM EDT
[#32]
OP, put your money where your mouth is.

Get a video camera, a Colt 6920 and a KAC rail and successfully reproduce the 15 MOA variation in POI you are proposing.

10 round group. 100 yd. Your choice of position so long as it is a reasonable combat shooting stance (i.e. prone on sandbags, no dangling weights off the end of your barrel and all that shit).

Post a time-stamped video here with your username somewhere in the frame, one continuous shot, no editing.
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 10:17:30 PM EDT
[#33]
lol

ETA: This was entertaining.  And a good example of why I want to be able to flag people, but not ignore them.  Say for example as "big fucking dummy".  I want their posts to show up in brown to signify they are full of shit.
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 10:20:41 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote

Well, you got that correct at least.
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 10:29:40 PM EDT
[#35]
LOL, do people think that this shit actually matters?
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 10:31:03 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I thought that for a second, too.  The "new" ak12 has a different rear sight base and top cover latching mechanism than the ratnik upgrade kits.  It's a completely different model (albeit very similar).  The ratnik upgrade kit simply bolts onto existing 74's.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Does it look like the "new" AK-12 parts can be thrown on an AK-74, or does it require a new receiver? Because if that requires an all new receiver, I don't really see the point. Unless something underneath the furniture has changed, it looks like the only thing that stands out would be a unique top rail. Which doesn't seem worthwhile to buy when the upgrade is so minimal over a regular old AK.

In either case, I think they're upgrading their AKs and waiting for something newer. The AK-12 was probably not accepted and they were told to go back to the drawing board. Makes sense. Start issuing modern armor, optics and night vision now while they wait for a better replacement. No need to poor money into a not so great rifle like the AK-12.
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 10:38:37 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

The rail system?

A free float rail is the difference between hitting and missing targets at 100M in combat.
View Quote

LOL no its not.  Your being dramatic.  There's no damn 15 moa shift.
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 10:39:04 PM EDT
[#38]
The Derp runs deep in this thread.
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 10:43:41 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Here is a quote from someone far more knowledgeable than I.

So I was wrong, you can experience up to a 15MOA shift.
View Quote

You are correct on the huge shift , see it ALL THE TIME when ROing 3 gun.
Enough to miss at 12" target at 100 yds, change from resting(more like pushing on) the barrel, to the forend. hit, hit, hit.

My question is - HOW can the AK have a free float barrel ??  what changes did they make on the gas tube/piston?
Can't see the pics very well.
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 10:50:04 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 10:53:12 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I'm actually not trolling.

This is from GS5414 where he explained to me the importance of a free floated rail.

A 15MOA shift is significant, like life or death significant in war.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're not even trying.  If you want to troll you need to ease into it.

I'm actually not trolling.

This is from GS5414 where he explained to me the importance of a free floated rail.

There is a current requirement to engage threats out to 500M on an individual level, with 70% possibility of incapacitation, within 15 seconds of target ID. This is not an anecdotal '99%' opinion. This is hard data. This is not a need for the weekend shooter that bangs rounds downrange at a 25M range, which leads to head-slapping debate as to the viability of FF systems.
2. There is a capability gap that does not allow the above to occur. A weapon that puts out a 5 MOA cone of fire that has load imparted to the bore creates a huge possible cone of fire, and up to a 15 MOA shift. This happens when using a sling, when using sandbags or mud walls, when using barricades, and even happens due to grabbing the hand guard. 'History' also sees the M16 as the first service rifle mass-issued with optics and lasers.

A 15MOA shift is significant, like life or death significant in war.

70%?....500 meters? 15 seconds? 15 moa of shift?
I've seen some crummy AR based rifles but not that crummy.

Better get your 20" bbl back, make it a heavy and put an acog on it.  Better yet make it an 18" 6.5 Grendel.

Do we want a truck carbine or a battle rifle?

WTF

Link Posted: 3/14/2017 10:58:59 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 11:03:58 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
What appears to be the "new" AK-12, or just an AK-74M with the same stock, captured off of a Russian adviser in Syria:
http://armamentresearch.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/AK-74M-3.jpg
View Quote

Looks like CAA furniture to me. For comparison:

It's nice to know that my UTG Pro side rail mount is Russian operator approved, though.
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 11:10:18 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Stick a free floating hand guard on M4s and call it a day.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Stick a free floating hand guard on M4s and call it a day.

This is my first inclination. I've got both free and non-free floating rigs, and the only real difference between them is the barrel nut and the handguard itself. Free-floats tend to be heavier in order to support the load, but screwing FF fore ends onto M4s don't exactly require a re-engineered rifle.

Quoted:
Free float. Lmfao!  

Stealth bro!  Stealth trumps fucking free float.

We need stealth M4s. Fuck that MOA bullshit.

If it's stealth then we can spend more money on this shit.

Which is why I don't understand why every infantry rifle we issue doesn't have a can hanging off it.

Quoted:
OP is romanticising the infantry, probably gets off by cleaning his 1903A3

For an infantryman today you need #1 radio #2 binoculars #3 interpreter/speak their language, and are more of an ambassador for western aid. "Fuck the taliban, how about some schools, roads, and water treatment plants? Let us open a clinic and vaccinate the kids and see how you dig 'Murica lite"

Basic carpentry tools, a bulldozer and some local government/civics knowledge would all outrank "Rifle" in the list of importance and likelyhood of use.

We'll never win a war without infantry but engaging in close combat is more of an ancilary "when everything else doesn't work" responsibility. Even in the Korengal.

Sniff... Never thought I'd see the day where Combat Engineers were the front line troop of choice.
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 11:18:56 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Does it look like the "new" AK-12 parts can be thrown on an AK-74, or does it require a new receiver? Because if that requires an all new receiver, I don't really see the point. Unless something underneath the furniture has changed, it looks like the only thing that stands out would be a unique top rail. Which doesn't seem worthwhile to buy when the upgrade is so minimal over a regular old AK.

In either case, I think they're upgrading their AKs and waiting for something newer. The AK-12 was probably not accepted and they were told to go back to the drawing board. Makes sense. Start issuing modern armor, optics and night vision now while they wait for a better replacement. No need to poor money into a not so great rifle like the AK-12.
View Quote

I don't know for sure.  My point was to illustrate the massive expenditure the Russians just undertook with the upgrade "kits" and how such an expenditure would not make sense if a "new" ak12 were in the works. The kits do not match the pics of the new ak12.  There are distinct differences.  The kits are direct, bolt on units designed to be installed by the end users (supposedly).  Differences are the 100 series folding buttstock is replaced by an m4 style buttstock with multiple position tube, CAA lookalike grip, uber stupid handguard, vert front grip, uber stupid top handguard (looks useless), FS/GB () - uh....that's not being replaced in the field, and last and most intriguing is the top rail and rear trunnion tensioner.  There is exactly ONE picture on the internet of this piece, but it leaves a bit to the imagination.  Given most of the replacement parts, it seems this would also follow a super easy install method like all the others, but I can't figure out how it mounts to the rear trunnion yet.  I'm an AK nut, so any corrections or follow up would be extremely welcome.  The biggest and most obvious difference between the finished RATNIK AK74 upgraded rifle and the "new" AK12 is the rear sight base.  The AK12 is built from the ground up to accept the picatinny rail, whereas the RATNIK upgrade kit adapts to the original rear sight base via a pin and has a simple folding rear sight in between the contoured "wings".  The other, less obvious difference, is in the rear latch mechanism to secure the rail to the rear trunnion.  The RATNIK kit has a subtle lever outside the thumb button section combined with a tension catch underneath the machine cover.  The new AK12 has something different.

So, yes, it appears the new AK12 is just a remanufactured version of the AK74 instead the the pretty cool version they came out with a couple years ago.  BUT, they are not the RATNIK upgrade kit added to an existin AK74 that were announced a while back.  They appear to be a newly manufactured firearm.  Hence, my argument still stands.  I don't understand why Russia would drop all that money on the kits only to replace them with "newish" firearms so soon afterwards.

Correct me if I'm wrong.
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 11:21:19 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

http://www.outdoorgearbarn.com/images/Product/large/CAA-Gun-Parts-RS47SET.jpg

https://polenartactical.com/shop/1586-large_default/sbs-stock-caa.jpg

It's nice to know that my UTG Pro side rail mount is Russian operator approved, though.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What appears to be the "new" AK-12, or just an AK-74M with the same stock, captured off of a Russian adviser in Syria:
http://armamentresearch.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/AK-74M-3.jpg

http://www.outdoorgearbarn.com/images/Product/large/CAA-Gun-Parts-RS47SET.jpg

https://polenartactical.com/shop/1586-large_default/sbs-stock-caa.jpg

Good eye. Looks like CAA stuff. Probably works good enough even if ugly. I know some of the special units are using Zenitco stuff, but in recent years lots of Russians who got deployed to combat areas used the cheap stuff. I assume most of them have not switched it out. But hey, at least went don't have to spend $500 on high end furniture and we can Tapco the fuck out of our AKs for $50 and get a correct clone right?

Save for the Zenitco stuff, the American accessories look a lot better than the stuff the Russians have brought out. And used.
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 12:20:49 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I am way behind the times I guess, but I don't see the need for every MK I, Mod O regular GI to have a free floated barrel.

As for the Russians, are they going to scrap the tons of ammo they already have and produce match quality ammo for those new, free-floated AK's?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
I am way behind the times I guess, but I don't see the need for every MK I, Mod O regular GI to have a free floated barrel.

As for the Russians, are they going to scrap the tons of ammo they already have and produce match quality ammo for those new, free-floated AK's?

Uhm... Not to be taking either side here, and I'm also doubting the big number, but just math...

If you have a 5moa rifle, and you load it with 3moa ammo (just for instance), you have a range of between dead fucking nuts, and 8moa for actual target impact, depending on attributes outside of your control.

If you swap rifles to a, say, 2moa rifle... okay, it's an AK, and everybody here hates AKs, so we'll call it a 2.5moa rifle. Feed that exact same 3moa ammo into it and you've got dead fucking nuts to 5.5moa.

5.5moa is still better than 8. WHATEVER you can (reasonably) do to minimize the role of RNJesus in the equation, you should do so. Just sayin'.

I love that guys are taking this quote, which was the response of an idiot to a guy who was arguably the smartest man on the planet at that time, and applying it as though it's an insult.  And you're all doing it completely unironically.  

Not taking sides here, just pointing that out.

Quoted:
What's that last one, I'm not familiar?

6.5 Creedmoor is a .308 length (And, hence, not good candidate for M4 upchambering) round based on the old .300 Savage. Very good long range cartridge that uses very slippery bullets. Think 6.5 grendel with an extra couple hundred yards of reach.
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 12:42:18 AM EDT
[#48]
So the Russians finally discover TAPCO and suddenly we are the ones who are behind.  Hmm.
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 12:49:59 AM EDT
[#49]
So sad that the US uses 9lb carbines.
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 12:51:45 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
So sad that the US uses 9lb carbines.
View Quote
Did you get that weight estimate with or without add on's?

Page / 7
Top Top