BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 7
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 12:40:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Putin and Russia are playing it carefully.  Trying to avoid civilian casualties and limiting use of military assets.  No doubt what so ever, that if/when Russia really commits, Ukraine will be steam rolled in little time.  Do not believe the media.  Always pushing whatever globalist/left/pro Biden narrative that benefits them the most.
View Quote

English is not your first language - am I right ?

Oh, but, I'm vastly influenced by your poorly written propaganda.

Really, don't stop.

Link Posted: 3/2/2022 12:41:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 12:42:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Russia has a GDP a bit less than that of Italy.  

Let that sink in.   Italy is not exactly a super power, and has not been a super power since the Roman Empire.  

But, look further, Russian income per capita?  $11,000 US dollars.   Italy is closer to $34,500 per year US dollars.  Three times higher.  

Its basically the 3rd world in Russia.  A tiny % lives high on the hog, and the bulk of the population is living on crumbs.   Its a f'ed up, backwater place, but with nukes.
View Quote

They are literally "second world"

"The term "Third World" arose during the Cold War to define countries that remained non-aligned with either NATO or the Warsaw Pact. The United States, Canada, Japan, South Korea, Western European nations and their allies represented the "First World", while the Soviet Union, China, Cuba, Vietnam and their allies represented the "Second World". "

Quoted:
Putin and Russia are playing it carefully.  Trying to avoid civilian casualties and limiting use of military assets.  No doubt what so ever, that if/when Russia really commits, Ukraine will be steam rolled in little time.  Do not believe the media.  Always pushing whatever globalist/left/pro Biden narrative that benefits them the most.
View Quote

Avoiding civilian casualties? Have you not seen them shooting cluster munitions over Kharkiv apartment complexes?
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 12:43:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Sure if going against $40 million modern MBT, you want to be as far away with the Javelin. But when we were hurling them against goat fuckers in hiluxes seemed like overkill.

View Quote

Not to Raytheon executives and military brass.  To them it seemed like million dollar bonuses and million dollar retirement jobs.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 12:48:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
With the Javelin, the days of armor on the battlefield are basically over.
View Quote

It definitely means that armor is vulnerable in urban areas and when it's mobility is limited.  Armor is still valuable in large open lands where it can move and maneuver, such as in the desert.  I also suspect the Russia is not using their infantry like they should.  Infantry should be scouting in advance of armor to try to ferret out threats like the enemy with Javelins.  I get the sense that the infantry is sticking to vehicles/convoys and not used correctly.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 12:49:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

This.

I still think Russia is fighting with one hand behind their back. I'm worried about what's gonna happen when Russia realizes that they can't just drive into a city.
View Quote

I agree with you. I don't really understand why people think Russia is losing. Ukraine has a large military in a somewhat small place. Of course there will be a lot of Russian loss at first. I don't know because I don't really care about Russia or Ukraine, but it doesn't sound like Russia wanted to completely fuck Ukraine up. It'll come to thaf I assume, though. Fuck em both is my outlook on the situation.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 12:49:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Turns out, Russia is just shit.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I thought Russia was going to steamroll Ukraine...and on paper they should. Are they playing nice? Are their tactics just this antiquated?

Weird conflict.

They haven't gone scorched earth, and that is giving Ukraine a chance.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 12:50:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

English is not your first language - am I right ?

Oh, but, I'm vastly influenced by your poorly written propaganda.

Really, don't stop.

View Quote

Lol.  Getting angry over a person's written opinion?  Childish to say the least.  Grow up sport.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 12:52:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Probably drug away.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This, where are the bodies?
Probably drug away.

Probably eaten

Sopa de slavicaco, una delicia.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 12:54:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
In 10-20 years, I could see some sort of defense developed.  Like a sound-based system.  Or maybe a cheap version of the Navy's Phalanx system.  BRRRRRR...

View Quote

The US is already working on it with the Israelis Trophy APS.  The Trophy system is now being mounted on the M1 Abrams to test it's effectiveness.  Trophy APS (Active Protection System) is designed to shoot down incoming AT missiles.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 12:57:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I agree with you. I don't really understand why people think Russia is losing. Ukraine has a large military in a somewhat small place. Of course there will be a lot of Russian loss at first. I don't know because I don't really care about Russia or Ukraine, but it doesn't sound like Russia wanted to completely fuck Ukraine up. It'll come to thaf I assume, though. Fuck em both is my outlook on the situation.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

I still think Russia is fighting with one hand behind their back. I'm worried about what's gonna happen when Russia realizes that they can't just drive into a city.

If Russia keeps going, they'll develop into an occupation force.  Soon it will be a matter of Russia being able to support/afford that effort.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 12:58:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

And the US could have steamrolled Iraq... but that wasn't the objective.

I don't think Russia wants to level the cities. I think they want to replace the government, and still have a functioning population and infrastructure.
View Quote

Pretty much this, I’m afraid. Hope they withdraw and not take the gloves off.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 1:01:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 1:02:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I thought Russia was going to steamroll Ukraine...and on paper they should. Are they playing nice? Are their tactics just this antiquated?

Weird conflict.
View Quote

A lot of factors are probably playing a part. Shit coms, shit supply units, can't take air superiority, enemy force is near par, enemy force is supplied greatly, enemy force has state of the art weaponry, and enemy force was pretty well trained via western military guys who spent the last 10 to 20 years fighting a GWOT.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 1:03:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Russia’s gonna have to start planning on a new war memorial
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 1:05:29 PM EDT
[#16]
I guess armor without dismounted troops protecting it  really is vulnerable to anti-tank weapons from opposing dismounted troops.

Who knew?

Link Posted: 3/2/2022 1:09:30 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

Statues and monuments are one of the few things Russia actually does well....
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 1:10:39 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

The troops don’t want to be there.  WWI brought down the Czar - this will bring down Putin.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 1:12:46 PM EDT
[#19]
Does anyone think it possible the Russian campaign is to burn up the clock and distract while China preps for Taiwan? Russia's execution of this campaign is lacking and not in line with their long perceived capabilities. Add to the SOTU from FJB about domestic manufacturing, like the plan is to give up Taiwan. Seems like a totally scripted scenario.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 1:17:10 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Pretty much this, I’m afraid. Hope they withdraw and not take the gloves off.
View Quote

Place Russian POW camps in the likely targeted cities.  Let the Russian people know when Putin kills all their kids with his scorched earth. Kill Ukrainian civilians, you also kill your own people.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 1:17:49 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Does anyone think it possible the Russian campaign is to burn up the clock and distract while China preps for Taiwan? Russia's execution of this campaign is lacking and not in line with their long perceived capabilities. Add to the SOTU from FJB about domestic manufacturing, like the plan is to give up Taiwan. Seems like a totally scripted scenario.
View Quote

No Putin wants Ukraine for various reasons and bombing it to the ground won't help him.

You simply can't fight these types of wars anymore if they don't want you there. Russia hasn't really been in this type of situation *recently unlike the United States who has for the last 20 years but I assumed they would of learned from our mistakes?
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 1:18:13 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I figure eventually it won't even be boots on the ground. It'll be computer controlled drone swarms that control the battlefield. Raytheon or someone else will figure out how to mass produce weaponized drones that work in concert, carried into battle via drone transports, communicating with each other and their controllers safe behind friendly lines. No need to train, feed, and clothe human warfighters. No need to write letters home for KIA. No more medical expenses. They'll be faster, more agile, fearless, cheaper and easily replaceable. They also won't question orders or get blisters on their feet.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
This is the first time we have seen the Javelin, NLAW, and drones used in Urban fighting against armor correct? Maybe Armenia too? I feel like this changes the rules completely. I know russians are not using infantry and air power effectively, but still....

You're right about the rules changing.  Eventually, it's going to come down to the boots on the ground.  

I figure eventually it won't even be boots on the ground. It'll be computer controlled drone swarms that control the battlefield. Raytheon or someone else will figure out how to mass produce weaponized drones that work in concert, carried into battle via drone transports, communicating with each other and their controllers safe behind friendly lines. No need to train, feed, and clothe human warfighters. No need to write letters home for KIA. No more medical expenses. They'll be faster, more agile, fearless, cheaper and easily replaceable. They also won't question orders or get blisters on their feet.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 3/2/2022 1:20:22 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

They have a lot already Leningrad/st Petersburg is full from the Great Patriotic war.  I think when the dead start getting shipped home the anti war protest will become huge
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 1:21:10 PM EDT
[#24]
Burn, Baby, Burn!!!

Link Posted: 3/2/2022 1:23:29 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 1:24:52 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

The troops don’t want to be there.  WWI brought down the Czar - this will bring down Putin.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Get both.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 1:25:16 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
It's a country with the economy of California..spread out across 11 time zones.  If they were a college football team they'd be Notre Dame..constantly over rated.
View Quote

Russia wishes it had California's economy.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 1:25:43 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
This is the first time we have seen the Javelin, NLAW, and drones used in Urban fighting against armor correct? Maybe Armenia too? I feel like this changes the rules completely. I know russians are not using infantry and air power effectively, but still....
View Quote

Yeah could be...ask the Brits how those Chinese silk worms work against aluminum hulled ships...

Cost effective as hell.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 1:25:47 PM EDT
[#30]
GOOD!  Hopefully we see many more like this!
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 1:26:08 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Is this the same big ass convoy that was on the news? Hope so
View Quote

Hopefully.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 1:26:22 PM EDT
[#32]
Where are all the combat videos?
Even towel heads take lots of combat vids.

Example: (don't watch if you can't take it)
https://www.wardiary.net/post/18-houthi-forces-raid-on-saudi-military-positions-may-2021
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 1:26:29 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 1:27:11 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Don't those missiles detonate downward from above the target?  I ask because there is a lot of obstruction with trees and power lines etc.  

Obviously they worked, just curious how they deal with a complicated situation like the one pictured.
View Quote

Maybe, maybe not. It wouldn't be a very effective top attack weapon if it wasted a bunch of energy in ineffective directions.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 1:27:22 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Apparently so...

Makes you wonder if Uncle Vlad's canned sunshine can even make it out of their airspace and how hard he's actually bluffing on it.
View Quote

The son of a bitch wasn't bluffing about invading Ukraine...I'd guess he's crazy enough to launch unless his own people are sane enough to take him out quickly or stand down against any of his orders from now on.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 1:27:55 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

It seems like the miles-long convoy of Soviet Russian reinforcements tell the tale, but miracles happen.  "THIS....IS... SPARTA!"  I also remember that a bunch of goat herders in the mountains of Afghanistan ran off two powerful empires.
View Quote

That is because neither “empire” committed a lot of troops or were really attempting to win the war.  Both underestimated the amount of military might needed to win and were not willing to commit enough troops to get the job done.

Link Posted: 3/2/2022 1:28:59 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

NLAW has a direct attack mode
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Don't those missiles detonate downward from above the target?  I ask because there is a lot of obstruction with trees and power lines etc.  

Obviously they worked, just curious how they deal with a complicated situation like the one pictured.

NLAW has a direct attack mode

Javelin comes in from the top.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 1:29:32 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

No Putin wants Ukraine for various reasons and bombing it to the ground won't help him.

You simply can't fight these types of wars anymore if they don't want you there. Russia hasn't really been in this type of situation *recently unlike the United States who has for the last 20 years but I assumed they would of learned from our mistakes?
View Quote

Good point. How could they not learn from our highly covered tactics? It makes sense he wants Ukraine intact but his execution is a shit show. Doesn't seem like The Putin of the last 20yrs. Maybe the rumors that his cheese slid off his cracker are true.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 1:33:33 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
It's a country with the economy of California..spread out across 11 time zones.  If they were a college football team they'd be Notre Dame..constantly over rated.
View Quote

The Russians aren't even close to a California size economy. The only way they could get close would be to put 100% of what they spend on their military into R&D and subsidized business start ups ( kind of like what the Chinese did  in 1985)
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 1:36:16 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Good point. How could they not learn from our highly covered tactics? It makes sense he wants Ukraine intact but his execution is a shit show. Doesn't seem like The Putin of the last 20yrs. Maybe the rumors that his cheese slid off his cracker are true.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe he actually believed they could literally just roll in and take it?

Even if Russia eventually gets a foothold there the Ukrainians can make things very difficult for a very long time. Take out patrols, IEDs, etc.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 1:36:41 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 1:38:21 PM EDT
[#42]
Why Every Military Needs the Javelin Missile Launcher

Why Every Military Needs the Javelin Missile Launcher
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 1:41:25 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote

It seems obvious that what Russia is doing now was not really the original plan.

The initial plan seemed to be the surgical attacks on airfields and military targets using what cruise missiles Russia has, then seize the capitol quickly using airborne forces landing nearby Kiev and install a new government overnight.

Russia probably would have then moved into a puppet controlled Ukraine and establish or take control of bases to relocate their massed forces within Ukraines borders to defend their new land acquisition.

When Ukraine shot down the two IL76 headed for Kiev that likely had Speztnaz or some other SF group aboard, it really fucked the whole thing. I wouldn't even be surprised if Russia lost their best and most experienced SF troops on day one when they went down on those planes. How many can board a single IL76? Maybe hundreds and a few support vehicles e.g. BMDs. Times two, gone.

Everything since then has been Russia trying to strongarm the Ukranian government to give up. It just isn't working.

I agree with others, I fear at some point if it becomes clear that Russia is not going to control Kiev or Ukraine as a whole, they are just going to do as much damage as they can as punishment before throwing in the towel.

The best bet is Russia ousts Putin and blames the whole thing on him losing his mind.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 1:43:38 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
You have to give it to the Ukrainians, they are some tough sons of bitches.  

They're definitely not backing down to a world (semi-super) power.
View Quote

While they certainly are, amd deserving of all full reapect; the mind blowing degree of amateur hour the Russian ground forces are displaying sure does help!

That's the biggest stunner of this whole thing.  Holy shit.  I thought these guys were supposed to be badass.  The Russian Army leadership looks inept right now.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 1:44:19 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
NLAW is a decent relatively low cost system. I had thought the US could benefit from a lower cost guided missile (than the Javelin) in the toolbox . Something with 80% of the capabilities at a fraction cost.

Sure if going against $40 million modern MBT, you want to be as far away with the Javelin. But when we were hurling them against goat fuckers in hiluxes seemed like overkill.

US should consider buying some NLAW to complement the Javelin numbers for greater shorter range coverage and for vehicle targets less hardened than MBT.
View Quote

Supposedly Norway or someone is sending 2400 M72 LAW's so we can see how they do against the typical BMP and BTM type think skinned stuff.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 1:44:44 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Weird conflict.
View Quote

Perhaps we’ve just vastly overestimated their capabilities for decades
So the Russian people do not seem to have the appetite for throwing huge numbers of their sons and daughters into the meat grinder like they did in WWII, and having the modern equivalent of NKVD blocking troops in the rear to machine gun down retreating soldiers (or maybe their is to some degree, still?)
Their equipment is not terribly reliable.   They don’t have factories in the years pumping out T-34s every five minutes to replace losses (really no one can do the equivalent anymore with modern weapon systems)
Their logistics game is non existent.  It probably wasn’t that great in WWII either.  They just had an over extended German army that still relied heavily on horses and wagons to move supplies. They don’t show any sign of planning fuel depots and moving tanker trucks up with the lead of the column to keep it moving.
Their conscripts are a bunch of half drunk gopniks, some probably near illiterate.  And aside from ass ratings from NCOs, don’t get much real training.  

And if you’re army doctrine calls for the release of tactical nuclear weapons almost right from the start, then why go to all those other troubles and practice doing them ever?

They arrogantly thought they could steamroll the Ukrainians (or is it the Iranians, well, anyways...).   They haven’t learned much from Afghanistan, Chechnya, with some outside help they would’ve been more bloodied in Georgia.

And one last thing.  The fear and hype was good for business.  Not that we we wrong to prepare and arm accordingly
Because they were just a poor bully , with schizophrenic tendencies) from the slums who got hold of lots of nuclear weapons
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 1:47:53 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Holy crap, is that a T-34/85 turret??

View All Quotes

No, it's the turret from a 2S9 "Nona" 120mm mortar variant of the BTR-D:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 1:48:09 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

It appears that an ACOG is mounted to each NLAW
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Cool video on the NLAW system.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHZ_qfuEKRY

It appears that an ACOG is mounted to each NLAW

Yeah but a weird reticle...not that I wouldn't try to use a battlefield pickup on my AR.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 1:48:13 PM EDT
[#49]
Britbong arfcommers, pls forward one crate of NLAWs to me, posthaste.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 1:49:47 PM EDT
[#50]
I've been one to vocally claim that Putin is not a psychopath, i.e., mentally ill, but is in fact a sociopath with all his mental faculties intact.  The thought has occurred to me, though, that maybe the WuFlu, the isolation, the vodka, and/or other factors have maybe put him in the same dementia camp as Biden?  The lack of information coming out of the Kremlin has simply concealed it well?

Or did he just fuck up?  Did he really think this was going to be a piece of cake like Hitler taking the Sudetenland?

I think these are the fundamental questions that need to be answered.   It may be that the guy is a babbling fool when the cameras aren't on and the generals are already planning for him to get on the "wrong plane" that crashes into the Urals or something.
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top