BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 7
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 11:17:50 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

And most were expecting to be welcomed as liberators. Hell a bunch didn't even know they were part of a war. They thought it was just an exercise.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think they're trying to not just level things to  avoid pissing of the world any more than they have to, they're just shit (but quantity has a quality all it's own), and they're fighting an opponent on the opponent's home turf who truly hates them.    

That's part of it, the Russian themselves don't seem to keen on fighting their neighbors either.  All of the "running out of gas" isn't just an accident.  The Russians don't seem to have the stomach for a war in Ukraine.

And most were expecting to be welcomed as liberators. Hell a bunch didn't even know they were part of a war. They thought it was just an exercise.

Everyone around the world was telling Ukrainians to lay down their arms and let the Russians come in. "Fighting back will just cause unnecessary casualties!"

Part of me thinks Russia was given the green light, but the Ukranians shit in the punch bowl, and now Putin doesn't know how far to escalate this.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 11:22:35 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

And the US could have steamrolled Iraq... but that wasn't the objective.

I don't think Russia wants to level the cities. I think they want to replace the government, and still have a functioning population and infrastructure.
View Quote

A functioning population...that will never give in...good luck with that, Putin!

Sure not a very good example of how popular Communism really is...Yikes!
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 11:24:04 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I figure eventually it won't even be boots on the ground. It'll be computer controlled drone swarms that control the battlefield. Raytheon or someone else will figure out how to mass produce weaponized drones that work in concert, carried into battle via drone transports, communicating with each other and their controllers safe behind friendly lines. No need to train, feed, and clothe human warfighters. No need to write letters home for KIA. No more medical expenses. They'll be faster, more agile, fearless, cheaper and easily replaceable. They also won't question orders or get blisters on their feet.
View Quote
Perhaps best of all, they won't violate the local females, or smaller livestock.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 11:24:22 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Everyone around the world was telling Ukrainians to lay down their arms and let the Russians come in. "Fighting back will just cause unnecessary casualties!"
View Quote

Even a rudimentary knowledge of Eastern European culture would tell you that wasn't going to happen.  Hard places make hard people.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 11:29:40 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
There is a distinct lack of crispy critters.
View Quote

Warning - don’t watch if you’re squeamish.
https://youtu.be/XfVt4RTjwwo

Reports are that the Russians are reluctant to get out of their APCs, so when they’re hit the bodies just burn to ash along with the aluminum hulls.  The only way bodies are left is if they are blown out of a truck.  Also it seems likely that the Ukrainians are going to some pains to remove whatever is left before filming.

I hope no one will crow too much over this.  May God forgive the dead their sins, but it’s hard to wish the same for the man responsible for this.  What a waste.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 11:31:48 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 11:37:30 AM EDT
[#7]
Screen name?
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 11:38:50 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Apparently so...

Makes you wonder if Uncle Vlad's canned sunshine can even make it out of their airspace and how hard he's actually bluffing on it.
View Quote
Probably why he called his rocket guys back to inspect them.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 11:38:50 AM EDT
[#9]
No MBTs. Many BMP, BRDM PT-76. AFVs and and Mech Infantry.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 11:39:26 AM EDT
[#10]
Russia has a GDP a bit less than that of Italy.  

Let that sink in.   Italy is not exactly a super power, and has not been a super power since the Roman Empire.  

But, look further, Russian income per capita?  $11,000 US dollars.   Italy is closer to $34,500 per year US dollars.  Three times higher.  

Its basically the 3rd world in Russia.  A tiny % lives high on the hog, and the bulk of the population is living on crumbs.   Its a f'ed up, backwater place, but with nukes.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 11:40:04 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

God, I fucking hope not. This would be how Skynet happens.
View Quote

Skynet WILL happen. Not necessarily being a completely autonomous actor, but an actor that can be ordered to perform any task (no matter how evil) and a formidable foe that will be damned hard for the actual boots on the ground to fight. Units will have to have a designated marksman who packs a turkey gun that shoots buckshot and topped ith a 1-8x24 LPVO.

Just a thought as to the massive changes that are coming.

But hey... allied drones will be able to provide juice boxes and happy meals to the troops that do engage.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 11:41:42 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Apparently so...

Makes you wonder if Uncle Vlad's canned sunshine can even make it out of their airspace and how hard he's actually bluffing on it.

No one should underestimate Russian rockets. They still have a successful space program.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 11:42:23 AM EDT
[#13]

That same thought came to me. He's going to need a bigger safe.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 11:44:52 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

This, where are the bodies?
View Quote
Probably drug away.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 11:45:02 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I figure eventually it won't even be boots on the ground. It'll be computer controlled drone swarms that control the battlefield. Raytheon or someone else will figure out how to mass produce weaponized drones that work in concert, carried into battle via drone transports, communicating with each other and their controllers safe behind friendly lines. No need to train, feed, and clothe human warfighters. No need to write letters home for KIA. No more medical expenses. They'll be faster, more agile, fearless, cheaper and easily replaceable. They also won't question orders or get blisters on their feet.
View Quote

As we see in every aspect of IT today; the problem with "computer controlled" is that anyone with a computer can control it.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 11:45:04 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

That is what soldiers are trained to say when captured. So it is hard to know for sure. The performance of Russian ground forces certainly supports the idea that they were not really prepared for a serious conflict.

Why they don't have total air superiority right now also raises questions.

I am sure they will eventually overwhelm the Ukraine, but it's going well for the Ruskies and they will pay a heavy price.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 11:46:46 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

NLAW has a direct attack mode
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Don't those missiles detonate downward from above the target?  I ask because there is a lot of obstruction with trees and power lines etc.  

Obviously they worked, just curious how they deal with a complicated situation like the one pictured.

NLAW has a direct attack mode
Wow, just watched this...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHZ_qfuEKRY

That would seem to make it a more effective weapon for close quarters than a Javelin
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 11:48:30 AM EDT
[#18]

Link Posted: 3/2/2022 11:48:45 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Ok......but if California were a country it would be the 5th largest economy in the world, so that's really not saying a lot(according to the info I can't find)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It's a country with the economy of California..spread out across 11 time zones.  If they were a college football team they'd be Notre Dame..constantly over rated.

Ok......but if California were a country it would be the 5th largest economy in the world, so that's really not saying a lot(according to the info I can't find)

Well Russia is the 11th largest economy in the world behind Canada at 10th so to compare them to California would be to toss them a generous comparison.  In reality they are like half a California.

Link Posted: 3/2/2022 11:49:20 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Without a doubt the most damning evidence that Russia is fucking this up is the amount of top tier equipment being abandoned.

SA-15 Tor SAM units, with a cost of some $25 Million USD each, Pantsir systems, $13 Million.... OSA SA-8....

There's no favorable explanation as to why this mondo-expensivo shit is just being walked away from by the Russians.

View Quote

The CIA must be rolling around Ukraine with suitcases full of plane tickets, gold coins, and bundles of $100 bills scooping up examples of that hardware.

Kharn
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 11:49:26 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Agreed. There is lots of room for escalation on the Russian side, though. I think Putin really thought there would be more populist support for Moscow and he would just be fighting minor resistance around the Ukrainian capitol. Now he has the choice of increasing brutality on the people he hopes to rule or showing the world that Russia is strategically inept by stopping the campaign. I'm afraid I know which one he will choose.
View Quote

Problem is that the "western" leaders are so mouthy (virtue signaling control freaks) that even if Putin wanted to back out of this and cut a deal, he cannot. All the western leaders would be in the media saying how great they are, making Putin look even more stupid.

Diplomacy is kind of dead on the World stage these days. Kinda like COVID restrictions and other shit, "you are GOING to do what we tell you to do, or else!"
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 11:51:49 AM EDT
[#23]
Ukraine is soon to be the #1 seller of scrap iron on the global market.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 11:55:18 AM EDT
[#24]
I wonder if scrap metal prices will go up or down in Ukraine.  It seems like they have an excess of that shit laying all over the place.

EDIT: beat by 4 minutes
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 11:55:18 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Holy crap, is that a T-34/85 turret??

View Quote

No the T-35/85 had cast turrets. That is a more modern design
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 11:56:35 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I have such a huge erection now!

edit: In fairness, we are seeing maybe a Company's worth of equipment destroyed. Just a drop in the bucket. I'd like to see 40+miles of this level of destruction.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 11:58:55 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have such a huge erection now!

edit: In fairness, we are seeing maybe a Company's worth of equipment destroyed. Just a drop in the bucket. I'd like to see 40+miles of this level of destruction.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/508033/EACA988C-F448-4D6D-BBE1-704464CCDD7D_jpe-2298622.JPG

Russian units have enough organic ADA to make that target a little less juicy.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 12:02:03 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Probably drug away.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Probably drug away.

Likely dragged.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 12:02:08 PM EDT
[#29]
As encouraging as stories like this seem, they remind me of the reporting that the American public was fed during the Vietnam War.

"Joker, I've told you, we run two basic stories here:

Grunts who give half their pay to buy gooks toothbrushes and deodorants--Winning of Hearts and Minds--okay?

And combat action that results in a kill--Winning the War."
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/2/2022 12:03:45 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I don't think Russia wants to level the cities. I think they want to replace the government, and still have a functioning population and infrastructure.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I thought Russia was going to steamroll Ukraine...and on paper they should. Are they playing nice? Are their tactics just this antiquated?

Weird conflict.

That is going to eat away even more at Russian troop morale. They are already starving and out of gas and if they are told to just sit tight and get shot up we are going to see large groups of them surrendering.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 12:06:09 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
As encouraging as stories like this seem, they remind me of the reporting that the American public was fed during the Vietnam War.

View Quote

Does this mean Ann Margaret isn't coming?
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 12:08:44 PM EDT
[#32]
NLAW is a decent relatively low cost system. I had thought the US could benefit from a lower cost guided missile (than the Javelin) in the toolbox . Something with 80% of the capabilities at a fraction cost.

Sure if going against $40 million modern MBT, you want to be as far away with the Javelin. But when we were hurling them against goat fuckers in hiluxes seemed like overkill.

US should consider buying some NLAW to complement the Javelin numbers for greater shorter range coverage and for vehicle targets less hardened than MBT.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 12:09:31 PM EDT
[#33]
Well, the Russians have no issue with soaking up casualties. Life is cheap in Russia, always has been.

It took the USA approximately a month including 26 days of major combat operations to take Iraq after it had been weakened by over a decade of heavy sanctions and a prior conflict.  Iraq did not have sophisticated top of the line ATGMs, Stingers, UCAVs, and U.S. intelligence assets or millions of dollars coming in from foreign allies.

The Russians aren't holding back airstrikes, because they're incompetent.  They don't have anywhere near the number of smart bombs that we have in our inventory and frankly outside of the USA few nations have a large stockpile of smart bombs.  It's an issue for the Russians to be sure that they can't go after the Ukraine's IADS with smart munitions and they're going to have to whittle away the Ukraine airforce and IADs very slowly.  The Russians also clearly are trying to avoid massive collateral damage, because I think they intend to try to hold the whole Ukraine and they would like the ability to achieve civilian pacification, which will be difficult if there are massive civilian casualties. I think they want to take Ukraine in as much of one piece as they can.

No doubt the Russians are making some strategic mistakes and tactical errors are being committed regularly by them, but it is still early days and I'm fairly certain that ultimately the Russians will achieve their initial invasion objectives.  I do think that the Russians will have a nightmare of an insurgency on their hands though and so if they're smart they will not attempt to hold the entirety of Ukraine and will instead hold only that narrow southeast corridor to create a land bridge to Crimea.  If the Russians get overzealous and try to hold Kyiv, Odesa, and other areas in Western Ukraine they'll be in for a very long and painful "slow bleed."

Putin has been pretty clear though, he wants to destroy the Ukraine's military capacity and secure the separatists regions. I think that's exactly what they're going to do although it will be a Phyrric victory for him and is ultimately a grave miscalculation on his part.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 12:10:30 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

these images are the crazy ones to me - everyday people stepping through the warzone after a grocery run
View Quote

Demetri wants a nice giant bowl of borscht when he gets home from slaying Russians and Olga is going to make that happen.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 12:15:10 PM EDT
[#35]
With the Javelin, the days of armor on the battlefield are basically over.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 12:18:17 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Russia has a GDP a bit less than that of Italy.  

Let that sink in.   Italy is not exactly a super power, and has not been a super power since the Roman Empire.  

But, look further, Russian income per capita?  $11,000 US dollars.   Italy is closer to $34,500 per year US dollars.  Three times higher.  

Its basically the 3rd world in Russia.  A tiny % lives high on the hog, and the bulk of the population is living on crumbs.   Its a f'ed up, backwater place, but with nukes.
View Quote

I’ve heard Russia described as a 3rd world country with 1st world weapons.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 12:19:09 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

Good.

T-90s have a 3 man crew.

BMP-3s have a 3 man crew + up to 9 dismounts
BMP-2s have a 3 man crew + up to 7 dismounts
BTR-80s have a 3 man crew + up to 7 dismounts

MBTs will get chewed up without the infantry support. Plus when Ivan x10 doesn't come home from a Jav or NLAW hitting an APC, more everyday Russians share in the pain than just a T-90 getting blown up.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 12:20:32 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

I've said it before.  Russia is the nation-state equivalent of meth trash that hit the Powerball.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 12:20:55 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
The remains of the Russian military convoy blocked a street in the town of Bucha after the ambush - said to have been carried out by troops armed with NLAW missile launchers.
Artillery and drone strikes are also thought to have been deployed in the attack. Locals civilians are also reported to have helped fight the invaders by throwing petrol bombs.
Not far from Bucha, Ukrainian forces used Western-supplied anti-tank missiles to destroy another Russian convoy on a bridge that serves a main route into Kyiv.
https://www.lbc.co.uk/news/russian-convoy-blitzed-by-ukrainian-troops-armed-with-brit-anti-tank-weapons/
https://images.lbc.co.uk/images/291085?crop=16_9&width=660&relax=1&signature=IS5Rp_g9oudJmHoFcje6-QZpr00=
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 12:21:37 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

That's part of it, the Russian themselves don't seem to keen on fighting their neighbors either.  All of the "running out of gas" isn't just an accident.  The Russians don't seem to have the stomach for a war in Ukraine.
View Quote

Hell, would you?
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 12:23:00 PM EDT
[#41]
the use of these portable anti armor weapons will change tactics.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 12:23:41 PM EDT
[#42]

Trying to figure out how to mount it in his Tacoma?
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 12:24:22 PM EDT
[#43]
Putin and Russia are playing it carefully.  Trying to avoid civilian casualties and limiting use of military assets.  No doubt what so ever, that if/when Russia really commits, Ukraine will be steam rolled in little time.  Do not believe the media.  Always pushing whatever globalist/left/pro Biden narrative that benefits them the most.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 12:26:05 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote

Until active counter munitions are developed. Every attack can lead to a defense.

Needs a portable CIAS type system. Blow them up before near enough to do damage.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 12:26:28 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote
Tell me you served in the 80-90's without telling me you served in the 80-90's.

(I was 90-98)
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 12:31:04 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

I've said it before.  Russia is the nation-state equivalent of meth trash that hit the Powerball.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

With a YouTube account.

Kharn
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 12:31:26 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Cool video on the NLAW system.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHZ_qfuEKRY
View Quote

It appears that an ACOG is mounted to each NLAW
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 12:32:17 PM EDT
[#48]
Is there any video of actual combat going on between these two adversaries. When we were in the desert we say shock and awe. Videos everywhere, Anything like this going on.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 12:32:39 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote
In 10-20 years, I could see some sort of defense developed.  Like a sound-based system.  Or maybe a cheap version of the Navy's Phalanx system.  BRRRRRR...

Link Posted: 3/2/2022 12:35:11 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Likely dragged.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Probably drug away.

Likely dragged.

Perhaps medication was involved.
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top