BCM
User Panel

Page / 7
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/3/2022 5:26:04 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'd bet Putin is having second and thirds thoughts about sending more troops when he looks out and sees Poland and Germany firing up their war machines. A weak Russia whom the world hates for it's recent atrocities makes a mighty fine target for some of the countries it raped in the not so distant past expecially if you are a paranoid sociopath.
And all those little countries that no one ever really though much of are jumping in to. That could be a sign something really big is about to come down.
View Quote

He doesn't give a shit, and his invasion ending up costing thousands more Russian casualties than planned is a boring detail at his status meeting. The Generals told him he's still going to win, may have to shell a few cities into dust, no biggie. Huge success, just like Grozny.
Link Posted: 3/3/2022 5:26:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Probably eaten

Sopa de slavicaco, una delicia.
View Quote

I’d make pozole, seems some of them are already browned so it would take some time off the cook
Link Posted: 3/3/2022 8:38:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

That's the funny part because NATO has no intention of invading Russia.  And by invading Ukraine, Russia has proven Ukraine's desire to join NATO was well-founded.  Now if China decided to invade Russia after they get mauled in Ukraine, that would be even funnier.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If Putin looses half of his tanks, he will be weak for any future conflicts.

That's the funny part because NATO has no intention of invading Russia.  And by invading Ukraine, Russia has proven Ukraine's desire to join NATO was well-founded.  Now if China decided to invade Russia after they get mauled in Ukraine, that would be even funnier.

Might be a good time if China ever wanted to do that.  Let Russia get a huge percentage of their forces committed in Ukraine, then hammer them from behind and start taking land.
Link Posted: 3/3/2022 10:54:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I have a co-worker from Ukraine that served in the Soviet army. He said he feels sorry for the Russian soldiers because he knows how unprepared and poorly trained, they all are but at the same time hopes that Ukraine prevails and that he is very glad to be in the US right now. He has family in Odessa UKR.  He said his father was Russian and his mother was Ukrainian. He said it must be terrible going to war against people you know are your relatives and thinks that morale of the Russian soldiers is very low.
View Quote

We were talking about this today. I saw a claim that the average Russian officer received $550/mo pay for deployment. Imagine getting told that you had to leave your wife and kids to go drill on the border, during winter, for $550/mo. Then, you are told that you have to invade this country with people you might be related to, but that they all support you coming to liberate them. Yea, your rations are expired and outdated...not a ton of fuel or supplies, but it won't take long.

First city, they start throwing Molotov's and several of your buddies die. You hear that every country that you have ever heard of is sending missiles that can kill you from miles away, yet all the civilians have guns so you cant leave the BMP. All of your guys are 18 and have one month's training. Now, the money you're saving up for a new tracksuit/gold chain and $550/mo just dropped 30% and is going to keep falling. Your wife can't get paid from her OnlyFans account and your iPhone needs an update but Apple won't let it go through.
Link Posted: 3/4/2022 12:28:54 AM EDT
[#5]
Old armor and shit tactics vs new anti armor and determined, home turf guerrillas.

I ain’t no command and staff graduate but…

We learned in WWII that carpet bombing > all

Matter of time before failure results in loosening ROEs then it’s a race to a bloody bottom
Link Posted: 3/4/2022 2:30:47 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
NLAW is a decent relatively low cost system. I had thought the US could benefit from a lower cost guided missile (than the Javelin) in the toolbox . Something with 80% of the capabilities at a fraction cost.

Sure if going against $40 million modern MBT, you want to be as far away with the Javelin. But when we were hurling them against goat fuckers in hiluxes seemed like overkill.

US should consider buying some NLAW to complement the Javelin numbers for greater shorter range coverage and for vehicle targets less hardened than MBT.
View Quote

We have the AT-4 and even the LAAW M-72 made a return during the GWOT.  The only thing the NLAW has over the other two is a top attack mode which you don't need for thin skin vehicles.
Link Posted: 3/4/2022 2:46:27 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

We were talking about this today. I saw a claim that the average Russian officer received $550/mo pay for deployment. Imagine getting told that you had to leave your wife and kids to go drill on the border, during winter, for $550/mo. Then, you are told that you have to invade this country with people you might be related to, but that they all support you coming to liberate them. Yea, your rations are expired and outdated...not a ton of fuel or supplies, but it won't take long.

First city, they start throwing Molotov's and several of your buddies die. You hear that every country that you have ever heard of is sending missiles that can kill you from miles away, yet all the civilians have guns so you cant leave the BMP. All of your guys are 18 and have one month's training. Now, the money you're saving up for a new tracksuit/gold chain and $550/mo just dropped 30% and is going to keep falling. Your wife can't get paid from her OnlyFans account and your iPhone needs an update but Apple won't let it go through.
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/4/2022 2:52:40 AM EDT
[#8]
NLAW is semi guided to compensate for moving vehicles and has a much longer claimed range.
Link Posted: 3/4/2022 3:13:22 AM EDT
[#9]
this is how it will happen in kiev
Mort Martin Hessler (the battle of the bulge)
Link Posted: 3/4/2022 3:22:44 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I figure eventually it won't even be boots on the ground. It'll be computer controlled drone swarms that control the battlefield. Raytheon or someone else will figure out how to mass produce weaponized drones that work in concert, carried into battle via drone transports, communicating with each other and their controllers safe behind friendly lines. No need to train, feed, and clothe human warfighters. No need to write letters home for KIA. No more medical expenses. They'll be faster, more agile, fearless, cheaper and easily replaceable. They also won't question orders or get blisters on their feet.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
This is the first time we have seen the Javelin, NLAW, and drones used in Urban fighting against armor correct? Maybe Armenia too? I feel like this changes the rules completely. I know russians are not using infantry and air power effectively, but still....

You're right about the rules changing.  Eventually, it's going to come down to the boots on the ground.  

I figure eventually it won't even be boots on the ground. It'll be computer controlled drone swarms that control the battlefield. Raytheon or someone else will figure out how to mass produce weaponized drones that work in concert, carried into battle via drone transports, communicating with each other and their controllers safe behind friendly lines. No need to train, feed, and clothe human warfighters. No need to write letters home for KIA. No more medical expenses. They'll be faster, more agile, fearless, cheaper and easily replaceable. They also won't question orders or get blisters on their feet.

Correct..inevitable..
Link Posted: 3/4/2022 5:47:14 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
NLAW is semi guided to compensate for moving vehicles and has a much longer claimed range.
View Quote

It’s a predicted path weapon, that senses pre firing movement of the launcher to predict where the round needs to fly to,  when it is in top attack mode it is less range sensitive because it’s flying a much a much higher trajectory than it would be in direct attack mode.
Link Posted: 3/4/2022 6:46:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Does anyone think it possible the Russian campaign is to burn up the clock and distract while China preps for Taiwan? Russia's execution of this campaign is lacking and not in line with their long perceived capabilities. Add to the SOTU from FJB about domestic manufacturing, like the plan is to give up Taiwan. Seems like a totally scripted scenario.
View Quote

I don't think Putin did this to help China take Taiwan (just because Russia and China share common enemies doesn't mean they're friends or want eachother to succeed geostrategically).

I do think China was thinking of using this as a distraction to make a move on Taiwan, depending on how much of our force structure we diverted towards Europe and away from the Pacific. But we clearly haven't diverted anything away from the Pacific, at least not to any meaningful extent. Thus, China is not making a move.
Page / 7
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top