BCM
User Panel

Page / 7
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 6:49:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Honestly,

They should circle Kiev and attack by air, then shell, and finally advance.

Their air assault has been weak.

If you are going to invade, you can't half-way do it.  It's like Russia isn't committed and has created a mess for themselves.
View Quote

The commander of the siege of Kyiv is the same guy that leveled Aleppo with thermobarics.

The Russians are losing in the PR game, they're losing (or not winning enough) in the ground game, and they have serious logistical, maintenance, and comms problems. So much so that it seems small teams of UKR with anti-tank missiles can outmaneuver the Russian reporting structures for fire support. Against a determined, cornered adversary.

There is talk on the international circuit about figuring out a way for Putin to back out of this and save face. If he can't, the fear is he'll go all the way, whatever way that is to him.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 6:52:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

There is talk on the international circuit about figuring out a way for Putin to back out of this and save face. If he can't, the fear is he'll go all the way, whatever way that is to him.
View Quote

Comparisons to Saddam Hussein and Kuwait are rumbling.  Putin is finished; Putin has to bow out ASAP; Putin has to go balls to the wall; Putin is going for a revival of the whole Soviet Empire.  It's all on the table.  He either wins or he's out.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 6:55:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Don't those missiles detonate downward from above the target?  I ask because there is a lot of obstruction with trees and power lines etc.  

Obviously they worked, just curious how they deal with a complicated situation like the one pictured.
View Quote

That's ideal ambush terrain.  Get the front and rear then finish off the rest.  Take no prisoners, leave no one alive.

Now youse CAN'T leave!
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 7:10:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I have such a huge erection now!

edit: In fairness, we are seeing maybe a Company's worth of equipment destroyed. Just a drop in the bucket. I'd like to see 40+miles of this level of destruction.
View Quote

But it blocks a bridge.  
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 7:16:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Turns out, Russia is just shit.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I thought Russia was going to steamroll Ukraine...and on paper they should. Are they playing nice? Are their tactics just this antiquated?

Weird conflict.

Turns out, Russia is just shit.
In Russia, Russia Russias  Russia.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 7:17:58 PM EDT
[#6]
The US has delivered hundreds of stinger missiles to Ukraine as part of the $350m aid package the Biden administration announced last week, according to NBC News.

Congressional officials told NBC that the US had delivered more than 200 of the missiles on Monday:

The package also includes Javelin anti-tank missiles and ammunition, both of which the Ukrainian government has said they need to fight off advancing Russian military.

Stinger missiles can be used to shoot down aircraft. During the Cold War, the U.S. government secretly supplied Afghan resistance fighters with stingers to shoot down Russian helicopters over Afghanistan.

Germany announced last weekend that they are sending 500 stinger missiles to Ukraine, as well.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 7:26:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Don't those missiles detonate downward from above the target?  I ask because there is a lot of obstruction with trees and power lines etc.  

Obviously they worked, just curious how they deal with a complicated situation like the one pictured.
View Quote

In a word.  Effectively.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 7:26:38 PM EDT
[#8]
These pics/vids coming out of Ukraine are just incredible.  

Hking
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 7:30:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I figure eventually it won't even be boots on the ground. It'll be computer controlled drone swarms that control the battlefield. Raytheon or someone else will figure out how to mass produce weaponized drones that work in concert, carried into battle via drone transports, communicating with each other and their controllers safe behind friendly lines. No need to train, feed, and clothe human warfighters. No need to write letters home for KIA. No more medical expenses. They'll be faster, more agile, fearless, cheaper and easily replaceable. They also won't question orders or get blisters on their feet.
View Quote

US military F-18 launch Drone swarm in tests at China Lake
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 7:36:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I thought Russia was going to steamroll Ukraine...and on paper they should. Are they playing nice? Are their tactics just this antiquated?

Weird conflict.
View Quote

Imagine this... you are Colonel Axe0fwar in command of a mechanized battalion. President for Life Hillary Clinton launches an invasion of Canada. Why? Who knows? They probably have some dirt on her or something. Canada hasn't attacked us, threatened us, or done anything else to make you think we need to go to war with them. Presumably you will follow orders... but just how enthusiastically will you follow those order? On getting those orders, are you going to jump to attention, raise your right hand and salute, shout "Heil Cuntler," before rushing off to make sure your unit is in top Canada invading shape? Or, are you going to drag your feet a lot? Maybe you know some Canadians, or have Canadian family. Maybe you like hockey, maple syrup, and Ryan Reynolds. Maybe you don't want to get killed in some stupid war or see your men get killed. Maybe you think the invasion is criminal and you know that you are the baddies.

That's what a lot of Russians in the military are facing. These are not ideologues. You can fight for an ideal like Democracy, God, or even Communism. You can fight for a King. You can fight for a country. But no one wants to fight and die for some oligarch who sized power, will not establish a ruling dynasty, and who does not have the best interests of your people in mind.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 7:38:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Without a doubt the most damning evidence that Russia is fucking this up is the amount of top tier equipment being abandoned.

SA-15 Tor SAM units, with a cost of some $25 Million USD each, Pantsir systems, $13 Million.... OSA SA-8....

There's no favorable explanation as to why this mondo-expensivo shit is just being walked away from by the Russians.

View Quote

I think maybe his generals weren’t behind him so much and set him up, sending a bunch of useless conscripts and keeping the good forces back for when it fails. It’s a stretch, I know, but it fits. They might be using Urania to clean house.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 7:51:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

It appears that an ACOG is mounted to each NLAW
View Quote

The video I watched stated the ACOG is removable.  I assume the ACOG is moved from tube to tube.  I'm not sure how they would maintain zero without some sort of a "bore sight" device.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 8:00:33 PM EDT
[#13]
What amazes me is that the Ruskies are still using equipment that was on my OPFOR cards back in the mid 80's.   And using it as front line ordinance.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 8:01:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Does anyone think it possible the Russian campaign is to burn up the clock and distract while China preps for Taiwan? Russia's execution of this campaign is lacking and not in line with their long perceived capabilities. Add to the SOTU from FJB about domestic manufacturing, like the plan is to give up Taiwan. Seems like a totally scripted scenario.
View Quote

I hope Taiwan remains free, but it is still better for the US if we have robust IC manufacturing here at home.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 8:09:36 PM EDT
[#15]
Imagine what it will cost to clean up and repair the whole damn country when this conflict ends ( if it does ).  

Link Posted: 3/2/2022 8:28:44 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

yeah it definitely seems to be a combination of the Ukrainians doing much better than expected and the Russians doing much worse/dumber than expected.
View Quote

I think the Russians are playing their fourth string.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 8:41:20 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I think the Russians are playing their fourth string.
View Quote

Literally not in evidence at all. VDV, spetznaz and guard divisions have all been seen and taken heavy losses. We have  confirmed destruction of KA-52s, TOR, Panistir and T-90s in multiple
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 8:47:45 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
What amazes me is that the Ruskies are still using equipment that was on my OPFOR cards back in the mid 80's.   And using it as front line ordinance.
View Quote

You mean like the US is still using M1 Abrams, M2 Bradleys, and AH-64 Apaches that were in service in the 80s?
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 8:53:51 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 9:02:06 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Ok......but if California were a country it would be the 5th largest economy in the world, so that's really not saying a lot(according to the info I can't find)
View Quote

But Russia’s GDP is actually about that of Italy.

Link Posted: 3/2/2022 9:04:16 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

You mean like the US is still using M1 Abrams, M2 Bradleys, and AH-64 Apaches that were in service in the 80s?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well there’s a major difference. The US upgraded those things.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 9:08:14 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
If Putin looses half of his tanks, he will be weak for any future conflicts.
View Quote

That's the funny part because NATO has no intention of invading Russia.  And by invading Ukraine, Russia has proven Ukraine's desire to join NATO was well-founded.  Now if China decided to invade Russia after they get mauled in Ukraine, that would be even funnier.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 9:15:46 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Putin and Russia are playing it carefully.  Trying to avoid civilian casualties and limiting use of military assets.  No doubt what so ever, that if/when Russia really commits, Ukraine will be steam rolled in little time.  Do not believe the media.  Always pushing whatever globalist/left/pro Biden narrative that benefits them the most.
View Quote

This is not true, I don’t call 75% of their tier 1 forces, VDV GRU, Alpha, as well as 60% of there in theater guards units, naval infantry, and close to 60 battalion tactical groups a minor commitment. They hold some reserves but have committed most of their good stuff.

Over 500 cruise missiles and guided air delivered munitions represent about 1/3 of their total inventory. They are now breaking out the old Soviet shit grad, smerch, D52 etc., because the good stuff is gone.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 9:35:18 PM EDT
[#24]
I have a co-worker from Ukraine that served in the Soviet army. He said he feels sorry for the Russian soldiers because he knows how unprepared and poorly trained, they all are but at the same time hopes that Ukraine prevails and that he is very glad to be in the US right now. He has family in Odessa UKR.  He said his father was Russian and his mother was Ukrainian. He said it must be terrible going to war against people you know are your relatives and thinks that morale of the Russian soldiers is very low.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 9:46:24 PM EDT
[#25]
in some pictures the tracks are missing and the belly is setting flat on the ground.  I understand the fuel and ammo going off but what happens to the tracks?  The NLAW and Javlelin dont make that big of explosion.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 10:15:37 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
in some pictures the tracks are missing and the belly is setting flat on the ground.  I understand the fuel and ammo going off but what happens to the tracks?  The NLAW and Javlelin dont make that big of explosion.
View Quote

The Javelin and NLAW simply get the party started.  The onboard fuel and ammo take care of the rest.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 10:32:45 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
k
NLAW has a direct attack mode
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

k
NLAW has a direct attack mode

So does Javelin
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 10:37:02 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

But that's for 39 million in CA versus roughly 150 million in Russia.  BIG difference comrade.
View Quote

GDP vs GDP per capita
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 10:56:28 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

The video I watched stated the ACOG is removable.  I assume the ACOG is moved from tube to tube.  I'm not sure how they would maintain zero without some sort of a "bore sight" device.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It appears that an ACOG is mounted to each NLAW

It’s an NLAW specific ACOG that comes with the reticle matched to the round.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 10:58:03 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Without a doubt the most damning evidence that Russia is fucking this up is the amount of top tier equipment being abandoned.

SA-15 Tor SAM units, with a cost of some $25 Million USD each, Pantsir systems, $13 Million.... OSA SA-8....

There's no favorable explanation as to why this mondo-expensivo shit is just being walked away from by the Russians.

View Quote

Conscript army with poor leadership.  They don’t care about the cause or the equipment.  They see the vehicle in front of them get blown up, they will abandon theirs before it goes up too.  If the Ukrainians are smart they won’t target crews that bail out and run.  Reinforce the idea that staying in your vehicle means death, bailing out and running means life.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 11:04:05 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

No the T-35/85 had cast turrets. That is a more modern design
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Holy crap, is that a T-34/85 turret??

No the T-35/85 had cast turrets. That is a more modern design

It’s a 2S9 Combination gun. Can pull mortar and short range howitzer duties.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 11:14:27 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
It's a country with the economy of California..spread out across 11 time zones.  If they were a college football team they'd be Notre Dame..constantly over rated.
View Quote

Russias GDP isn't anywhere near the size of CA's.

It's closer to that of TX.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 11:35:39 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Russias GDP isn't anywhere near the size of CA's.

It's closer to that of TX.
View Quote

Last I checked Russia's GDP was $200k less than Texas's.  That was before we started buying a shit load of their oil and gas again, so maybe that has changed.
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 11:36:21 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
So can Russian ak-74s be converted to semi auto? I see a big opportunity to turn around a bunch of captured AK's for sale in the US after this is all over.
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/2/2022 11:41:24 PM EDT
[#35]
Who is going to send anti tank missiles to US, when they send the armed and armored forces of the Communist State for us free thinking, individualistic, Right leaning, misinformation speaking "Terrorists"?
Link Posted: 3/2/2022 11:59:16 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Who would?  It would be like the US invading and making war on California.  Yeah, nobody likes them, but we aren't about to kill them.

Right?

https://i.imgflip.com/4/3spff5.jpg
View Quote

Lol. I'd have no problem with the armed forces of a reconstituted United States doing a Shermanesque march to the Pacific and making 'California howl' while rooting out and butchering the communist insurgency there.
Link Posted: 3/3/2022 12:00:22 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Who is going to send anti tank missiles to US, when they send the armed and armored forces of the Communist State for us free thinking, individualistic, Right leaning, misinformation speaking "Terrorists"?
View Quote

The so-called "communists" are struggling to send their armor two hours' drive. I'd worry more about the free democratic government at home.
Link Posted: 3/3/2022 12:06:19 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Weird conflict.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Weird conflict.

It's complicated.  This guy gets it:

link

... These are deadly serious anti-tank weapons.

The key to countering such weapons is to operate as a combined-arms team: Mechanized infantry must be willing to, on a moments notice, receive the order to dismount, leave the perceived safety of an infantry-fighting vehicle, and serve as a screen for the armor. The infantry can neutralize the anti-tank missile teams. The armor can then provide covering fire, supporting the infantry as they move up, while knocking out any heavy weapons a defender might emplace. The point is that the infantry and the armor must work as a team. And this takes trust. And a hell of a lot of training. Because it’s counterintuitive to leave the safety of the vehicle to close with the enemy, you must drill and drill and drill what the U.S. military calls “immediate actions.”

To survive and win, this is what mechanized infantry must do in a force-on-force fight. But by all accounts, the Russians appear to be “noticeably reluctant” to dismount and close with the Ukrainian defenders. We should be careful to not paint with too broad of a brush here. There are examples of Russian troops performing well in the fierce combat of the last three days. But there is clearly a pattern developing.

This is a morale problem, a training problem, a leadership problem, and a will-to-fight problem. None of these are factors that can be easily or quickly fixed. It takes months of training and trust both across the ranks and up and down the command structure to work effectively. The private must believe that, if he gets out of his vehicle and pushes forward, his mates in the tracks will have his back. Hanging back in perceived safety leads to defeat. Counterintuitively, it makes you more vulnerable to enemy fires.
Link Posted: 3/3/2022 12:17:44 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Russia has a GDP about 1/2 of CA’s. (1.6T vs. >3T)

If Russia was a US state, by GDP it would rank fourth, between NY and FL.  TX is our #2. (>2T).
View Quote

Don't forget to take off 30% and climbing. Once their stock market opens it will be a bloodbath.
Link Posted: 3/3/2022 12:18:54 AM EDT
[#40]
I'll have a Coke
Link Posted: 3/3/2022 12:46:57 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Weird conflict.
View Quote

Besides nukes their military is shit.  I and others here have been saying that for years.  Their ability to project/send power is very limited.  This war proves this.

This would be like us trying to invade Mexico and getting our asses kicked.
Link Posted: 3/3/2022 12:53:42 AM EDT
[#42]
I'd bet Putin is having second and thirds thoughts about sending more troops when he looks out and sees Poland and Germany firing up their war machines. A weak Russia whom the world hates for it's recent atrocities makes a mighty fine target for some of the countries it raped in the not so distant past expecially if you are a paranoid sociopath.
And all those little countries that no one ever really though much of are jumping in to. That could be a sign something really big is about to come down.
Link Posted: 3/3/2022 1:05:21 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote

like the M1 Abrams MBT, A-10, F-16, F-15, B-52.  Ah-64, Blackhawks, etc, etc, etc?
Link Posted: 3/3/2022 1:14:44 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

like the M1 Abrams MBT, A-10, F-16, F-15, B-52.  Ah-64, Blackhawks, etc, etc, etc?
View Quote

Most of those things have been upgraded. The Russian stuff mostly hasn’t.
Link Posted: 3/3/2022 1:19:27 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Imagine what it will cost to clean up and repair the whole damn country when this conflict ends ( if it does ).  

View Quote
Well the scrap metal guys are gonna have a field day for sure.
Link Posted: 3/3/2022 1:24:28 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Russia has a GDP about 1/2 of CA’s. (1.6T vs. >3T)

If Russia was a US state, by GDP it would rank fourth, between NY and FL.  TX is our #2. (>2T).
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/3/2022 2:11:26 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote

Pretty much all of our major ground combat systems date to the 80s.  They have just been upgraded better electronics and other details, same as the Russian stuff.
Link Posted: 3/3/2022 3:37:47 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Pretty much all of our major ground combat systems date to the 80s.  They have just been upgraded better electronics and other details, same as the Russian stuff.
View Quote

From the 1980s to now the US went from having protection against machineguns to protection against 30mm cannons. Went from a primarily flir to a second or third Gen flir for the gun and the commander and LWIR thermal for the driver.

The Russians took the 1960s vehicle they were using in the 1980s and swapped the Gen 2 ii tube in the commanders position for Gen iii.
Link Posted: 3/3/2022 5:06:10 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote
Fire's hot. Torsion bars get weak, whole suspension settles down.
Link Posted: 3/3/2022 5:12:34 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

The images are from Reuters. They may have chosen ones that don't show human carnage for news coverage.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
There is a distinct lack of crispy critters.

The images are from Reuters. They may have chosen ones that don't show human carnage for news coverage.
That's contrary to Reuters' history. If there was human carnage, they'd lead with it. They've been caught carting the bodies of children from scene to scene to maximize carnage portrayal.
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top