Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 17
Link Posted: 9/11/2022 7:46:43 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

How is putin profitting off of the enormous expenditures in Russian lives, equipment, and political capital for a failed war?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

War = Profit

The political class and corporations are making money.  

How is putin profitting off of the enormous expenditures in Russian lives, equipment, and political capital for a failed war?

No, the average Russian conscript getting his guts blown out is not profiting, nor do Russian politicians and corporations care.

I assure you that politicians and corporations in the West are making big money from this war.  I’ve said from the beginning that the West is not helping the Ukrainians out of altruism.  For once,though, the West is doing the right thing even if it’s for the wrong reasons.  
Link Posted: 9/11/2022 7:48:21 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

No, the average Russian conscript getting his guts blown out is not profiting, nor do Russian politicians and corporations care.

I assure you that politicians and corporations in the West are making big money from this war.  I’ve said from the beginning that the West is not helping the Ukrainians out of altruism.  For once,though, the West is doing the right thing even if it’s for the wrong reasons.  
View Quote

How are politicians making money?
Link Posted: 9/11/2022 7:52:16 AM EDT
[#3]
Remember how it's going for Russia today. If Russia doesn't loose badly it's not because of military might. Maybe some of those better dead then red hippies that are now big shots in important places can save them. Maybe China will save them for the price of being under their boot. Patton was right and he could of defeated them. All the many years of the USSR then Russia causing most if the worlds misery. Supporting terrorist, dictators, communist around the the world and getting away with it. They got away with it because of the myth of the powerful Russian colossus war machine that is a total fraud.
Link Posted: 9/11/2022 7:53:24 AM EDT
[#4]
Does the collapse of conventional forces raise the risk of Putin going nuclear? Particularly to save himself from internal coup?
Link Posted: 9/11/2022 7:59:56 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I just talked to my brother who's inWashington DC and he said it's not going well as it needs to. Very frustrating. This all could have been preventable years ago but the animosity to American energy domestically - Biden and overseas - Germany vs Trump led us here.
View Quote
Building actual infrastructure has always been a long term solution.  Like I've said several times, this winter is going to suck for all of us, Europe most of all.

Once Europe gets past this winter things get somewhat better. Pipelines and LNG come online.  Then Putin loses his leverage and the reality that he has really fucked up will set in.  In the meantime Europe will just need to pretend Covid is still rampant...lock it down.

I bet I won't be able to get a specialty steel I use in large volume.  Only made in Germany.  Ain't gonna be enough angry pixies to melt stuff.   Which combined with Ukraines mills being rubble....will make shit all kinds of expensive.  Germany makes really nice metal.

Link Posted: 9/11/2022 8:07:37 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I just talked to my brother who’s inWashington DC and he said it’s not going well as it needs to. Very frustrating. This all could have been preventable years ago but the animosity to American energy domestically - Biden and overseas - Germany vs Trump led us here.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

From another thread, that window is quickly closing as Europe is getting more and more infrastructure to receive shipments of natural gas from the U.S.

I just talked to my brother who’s inWashington DC and he said it’s not going well as it needs to. Very frustrating. This all could have been preventable years ago but the animosity to American energy domestically - Biden and overseas - Germany vs Trump led us here.

Ugh.  It reminds me of that Churchill quote:

“You can rely on the Americans to do the right thing, after they’ve tried everything else.”
Link Posted: 9/11/2022 8:11:07 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You’re asking the wrong question:  “When would a politician do something if it doesn’t make them money?”  

The answer is “Never”.
Link Posted: 9/11/2022 8:13:25 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
What a mind fuck.

On one hand, Ukraine is whooping Russian ass with drones and intel. Other hand, goat herders ran the US out of Afghanistan with nothing but throw down rifles and ieds.

After the Azerbaijan dust up, I want not a fucking thing to do with being in a maneuver or occupying element. Basically sitting there waiting to be turned into goo and mist.
View Quote

I don’t get this narrative. The US was not thrown out of a Afghanistan.
Link Posted: 9/11/2022 8:14:33 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Not sure if this a joke or not.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What pallets of cash are we sending them?

You don't win wars with pallets of cash.

You win wars by making the other side so scared they abandon entire companies of vehicles.

Our investment is paying off

It isn't a joke. When you see the whole "another $600 million of aid" do you think they're sending pallets of cash?
Link Posted: 9/11/2022 8:18:32 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

@m35ben, good to see you.
View Quote
Thank you its great to be back
Link Posted: 9/11/2022 8:18:52 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Glad yer back, btw.
View Quote
I'm happy to be back
Link Posted: 9/11/2022 8:21:05 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

You’re asking the wrong question:  “When would a politician do something if it doesn’t make them money?”  

The answer is “Never”.
View Quote

That’s inaccurate too.
Link Posted: 9/11/2022 8:27:00 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I'm happy to be back
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/11/2022 8:40:24 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Does the collapse of conventional forces raise the risk of Putin going nuclear? Particularly to save himself from internal coup?
View Quote
You really think inviting Russia to be glassed by multiple nuclear powers is less  likely to get him a bullet in the head?

Once Russia shows it's willingness to go nuclear in order to gain territory, everybody around them will recognize it as a direct and imminent threat.
Link Posted: 9/11/2022 8:42:41 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

Bullshit.  The "plan" was to run the evac out of Kabul after withdrawal until...about now.  Then keep embassy open.  Instead, we were thrown out.
Link Posted: 9/11/2022 8:43:33 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
It's what direct Polish intervention with air power and ground forces can do.  That's where the "foreign fighters" came from.
View Quote

Jesus where do some of you get this shit?  Poland is not directly involved.
Link Posted: 9/11/2022 8:43:59 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 9/11/2022 8:48:35 AM EDT
[#18]
Great, so now we will have to pay to rebuild Ukraine AND Russia.
Link Posted: 9/11/2022 8:50:49 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

From another thread, that window is quickly closing as Europe is getting more and more infrastructure to receive shipments of natural gas from the U.S.

https://www.reuters.com/business/energy/germany-charters-fifth-floating-lng-terminal-2022-09-01/
Link Posted: 9/11/2022 8:51:01 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

Just like we didn't get thrown out of Vietnam.
Link Posted: 9/11/2022 8:51:04 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Pretty clean uniforms and equipment. Staged horse shit.
View Quote
They could have literally left the house that morning. Plus those guys are probably SF and not line troops.

Link Posted: 9/11/2022 8:52:09 AM EDT
[#22]
Oryx retweet:

Link Posted: 9/11/2022 8:54:47 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Highly doubtful. Russia is nothing more than a paper tiger. They act all big and bad but in reality you punch them in the nose and they crumble. As far as supply lines..Ask Russia about that. They know all about shitty logistics and stretched supply lines.
View Quote

As much as I’ve criticized Ukraine as a perfect storm of corruption, I’m shocked at how accurate your statement is.

Even if I give the Russia’s the benefit of the doubt that they fell into the trap of “measured response” like McManara did, at least we killed a shit ton of VC and NVA in the process. Even discounting all the help the Ukes are getting from the US (intel and targeting info in addition to hardware), they should be making some/more progress.

I’m at the “Let them fight” stage now.

TC
Link Posted: 9/11/2022 8:55:34 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
You really think inviting Russia to be glassed by multiple nuclear powers is less  likely to get him a bullet in the head?

Once Russia shows it's willingness to go nuclear in order to gain territory, everybody around them will recognize it as a direct and imminent threat.
View Quote

I honestly think you are over estimating how rational these motherfuckers are. "Escalate to deescalate." I definitely do think it is plausible for them to think a glorious death is better than living with an embarrassment. They don't seem to think like europeans.
Link Posted: 9/11/2022 9:09:41 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Bullshit.  The "plan" was to run the evac out of Kabul after withdrawal until...about now.  Then keep embassy open.  Instead, we were thrown out.
View Quote

Plans change with conditions. The plan was to close it all after the ANSF hit the tipping point, which came far faster than anticipated. That was done. To do it, the US pushed ~8,000 people in terms of units, enablers, and theater QRF 7000 miles in a few days. No one else on the planet can do that.

However, I was getting at the greater “US was defeated in AFG by a few goatherds with rifles and IEDs” that seems to have cropped up as some kind of equivalency argument for poor russian performance in Ukraine. The active combat mission, aside from some precision strike support and some other things, had been largely shut down since 2013. Afghan security forces were mostly on their own.  

There is some tie in to this thread in that political constraints often drive military outcomes. Russia fields a tiered readiness army designed around mobilization, which Putin has not done as it would acknowledge that it is a war. Instead, they are trying to muddle through with a lot of short term half measures and ultimately borrowing against future readiness for near term manning.
Link Posted: 9/11/2022 9:23:08 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I honestly think you are over estimating how rational these motherfuckers are. "Escalate to deescalate." I definitely do think it is plausible for them to think a glorious death is better than living with an embarrassment. They don't seem to think like europeans.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Gotta admit, I think this is the stage of the war where tactical nuke usage is most likely. An unexpected and undeniable crumbling of Russian forces and may cause the “higher ups” to want to teach the world a lesson. Basically, akin to an abusive husband that got caught and says “ if I can’t have her, then no one will”. I think that a gradual war where the Russians slowly lost interest would have made this scenario less likely. As things stand it seems they are more prone to making a cataclysmic mistake that permanently changes precedent in warfare.

That’s what I'm afraid of more than anything.

Having said that, I’m smiling this morning knowing that Ukrainian towns and people are being liberated. It just gives me pause….
Link Posted: 9/11/2022 9:26:39 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

It isn't a joke. When you see the whole "another $600 million of aid" do you think they're sending pallets of cash?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You win wars by making the other side so scared they abandon entire companies of vehicles.

It doesn’t have to be cash for politicians to get their kickbacks. The money doesn’t have to leave the country for politicians to get kickbacks.
Link Posted: 9/11/2022 9:47:24 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

It doesn’t have to be cash for politicians to get their kickbacks. The money doesn’t have to leave the country for politicians to get kickbacks.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Except he was under the impression we are sending pallets of cash to Ukraine, which is incorrect.
Link Posted: 9/11/2022 9:49:36 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

And you'll still have the best quality of life and best passport available on the planet.
Link Posted: 9/11/2022 9:50:22 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Except he was under the impression we are sending pallets of cash to Ukraine, which is incorrect.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

We are sending money to pay for the Ukrainian government to pay the people.  Not direct pallets of cash but large influxes of direct deposits.  There might be some pallets but I doubt it
Link Posted: 9/11/2022 9:51:23 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Russia could use a couple of nukes on Ukraine and everyone would freak and they would become a pariah nation, but nobody's going to nuke them back- they still have a thousand other nukes.
Link Posted: 9/11/2022 9:54:15 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

We are sending money to pay for the Ukrainian government to pay the people.  Not direct pallets of cash but large influxes of direct deposits.  There might be some pallets but I doubt it
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You’d be surprised. We literally gave out pallets of cash in Iraq and Afghanistan.
Link Posted: 9/11/2022 9:57:42 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I may be mistaken, but I though most of all the monetary figures were expressed as either value of equipment being sent or money being spent to replenish our own stocks/increase production or for new production.
Link Posted: 9/11/2022 9:58:23 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

@TexasDoubleTap

Those are usually political blunders, both to enrich themselves but also through incompetence.  Every aspect of Afghanistan was a cluster-fuck.  Why were we giving billions to Pakistan when they were hiding Osama bin Laden right under our noses?  Lots of parallels to Vietnam.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What a mind fuck.

On one hand, Ukraine is whooping Russian ass with drones and intel. Other hand, goat herders ran the US out of Afghanistan with nothing but throw down rifles and ieds.

After the Azerbaijan dust up, I want not a fucking thing to do with being in a maneuver or occupying element. Basically sitting there waiting to be turned into goo and mist.

@TexasDoubleTap

Those are usually political blunders, both to enrich themselves but also through incompetence.  Every aspect of Afghanistan was a cluster-fuck.  Why were we giving billions to Pakistan when they were hiding Osama bin Laden right under our noses?  Lots of parallels to Vietnam.

Donald Rumsfeld bears responsibility for pulling defeat from the jaws of success in so many ways.

All we had to do is win. We didn't have to lose AFTER we won.

Saudi Arabia and Pakistan committed 9/11 (effectively), so naturally we allied with them to defeat their enemies. All the while our government probably knew they had OBL. Which probably means that OBL wasn't really what the media propaganda led us to believe. Or he was under the control of the CIA by then and was being used as a pawn.

For all we know the Pakis brokered his capture with us.

Link Posted: 9/11/2022 10:01:33 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Russia has already said they are going to import North Korean soldiers. I'm serious.
View Quote

Three hots and a cot goes a long way when you’re starving.

TC
Link Posted: 9/11/2022 10:04:29 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Or was just using it as a humorous expression. We only seem to send pallets of cash to Iran because they are too backwards to bribe our politicians the usual way.
Link Posted: 9/11/2022 10:05:50 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

And you'll still have the best quality of life and best passport available on the planet.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Which is continually being degraded by our leader’s current actions.
Link Posted: 9/11/2022 10:05:52 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Starting to think that Russia is doing nothing more than grabbing Ukraine's army by the belt and bringing it nice and close so as to deal a crushing blow. Ukraine is letting their supply lines stretch. Hopefully they can maintain the momentum. We need that region destabilized if Xiden is going to enable China to take over administrative control of the entire hemisphere.
View Quote
Naw, Russia got caught completely flat footed on this.  The Russian High Command either ignored their intelligence or didn't have any intelligence on the Ukrainian buildup and didn't bother to reinforce the area.  Based on the latest information over the past 12 hours it doesn't appear there will be a major counteroffensive any time soon.

Which is odd considering how stubbornly they have held out in Kherson so far but it might be that Putin doesn't care about Kharkov and his real prize is the southern oblasts which provide land access to Crimea.
Link Posted: 9/11/2022 10:07:07 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I may be mistaken, but I though most of all the monetary figures were expressed as either value of equipment being sent or money being spent to replenish our own stocks/increase production or for new production.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Very roughly speaking, half is existing equipment, half is financial.
Link Posted: 9/11/2022 10:09:22 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Who knows what is really going on. I just wish we had stayed out of it.  There is a lot more going on in the conflict than the fighting on the ground

The Ukrainians may have a huge win or they may get cut off by Russia.  Need to wait a week or so to see how it plays out.

The way this is being covered is kind of like a football game. Minute by minute and hour by hour updates.  I just find that kind of odd.

View Quote

Bro, did you read my posts from yesterday?  I said a lot of the same things.

But the best way to determine what is really going is to follow both Ukrainian and Russian social media accounts.  When they both agree on something, then you can be pretty sure that is the truth.  Because both sides lie; the difference is the Western Media and US government are willing to amplify the Ukrainian lies.
Link Posted: 9/11/2022 10:11:13 AM EDT
[#42]

Qatar’s leader confirmed that Doha plans to start supplying LNG to Germany in 2024 and described Europe as an “interesting” gas market.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/11/2022 10:13:36 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Yeah, I really don't think so. I think we're going to see the Russians worst humiliation since WW2
View Quote
Well, it depends on what you mean by humiliation in WWII:  The Russians certainly got embarrassed in 1941.  They got the last laugh in 1945.

Never forget this country has the world's largest nuclear arsenal.  They have the capability of getting the last laugh on everyone -- quite literally.
Link Posted: 9/11/2022 10:14:46 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Push to Moscow before the winter. Lebensraum.
View Quote
It would be entertaining to see the Ukrainians try that.  I don't think NATO would support it, and Ukraine would end up worse than Napoleon.
Link Posted: 9/11/2022 10:16:00 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

there was once another guy who thought that too.....
View Quote
"The Red Army has been bled white", some Austrian artist, circa April 1945.
Link Posted: 9/11/2022 10:16:58 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

That’s inaccurate too.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The answer is “Never”.

That’s inaccurate too.

Wrong. It is ALWAYS about money. ALWAYS!
Link Posted: 9/11/2022 10:17:24 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Russia could use a couple of nukes on Ukraine and everyone would freak and they would become a pariah nation, but nobody's going to nuke them back- they still have a thousand other nukes.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Russians don't even have to use them. Just deploy them and it would chill things out for them quickly.
Link Posted: 9/11/2022 10:18:58 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote
Depends on who and what he nukes, and for what reason.

Turning Kiev and Lvov into smoking ruins for no reason would likely invite at least a limited response from the US/Britain.

Vaporizing a major logistics hub with a small tactical nuke?  I doubt we'd do anything at that point.
Link Posted: 9/11/2022 10:21:21 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote

What the fuck?
Listen the arms industry is a tiny fucking sliver so EU GDP/income, I mean get your fucking magnifying glass to see.
The energy prices are collapsing the EU economy, companies shutting down because they don't have enough juice or they cant afford the juice.
Corporations in the West want russia to crush Ukraine and keep on buying cheap russian gas.
Page / 17
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top